Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Hiding Ores

In the new gathering update, I loved the idea that you need to actually mine a rock before you know what you're mining. It adds value to all rocks because you never know which one is the valuable one, which makes all of them valuable in a sense.

I hope there is a lot of stone, ore and gem diversity in the world, so that each area has plenty of options for what a rock could contain.

Comments

• Options
    Could be that surveying will reveal which rocks are more valuable or at least what the area of rocks contains.
    Breaking every rock to find nothing valuable makes no sense.
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    QuarantineQuarantine Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I think it would be awesome if sometimes you found fossils too. I love the idea of hidden ores. It's so unique and exciting!
  • Options
    worddog wrote: »
    In the new gathering update, I loved the idea that you need to actually mine a rock before you know what you're mining. It adds value to all rocks because you never know which one is the valuable one, which makes all of them valuable in a sense.

I hope there is a lot of stone, ore and gem diversity in the world, so that each area has plenty of options for what a rock could contain.

True, not knowing beforehand what is in that rock gives value to it because it could have anything.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Strevi wrote: »
    Could be that surveying will reveal which rocks are more valuable or at least what the area of rocks contains.
    Breaking every rock to find nothing valuable makes no sense.

It adds value to surveyors as well who can help communities locate specific resources.
  • Options
    I feel the same way about elves. You just never know what you’re getting until you open them up with something sharp and heavy.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    But it also makes mining very tedious because you basically need to mine everything in sight for a hope of good roll on yield. It becomes more of a farming simulator and takes away from sense of exploration and finding rare materials by exploring an area. Also takes away from contesting rare spawns if all nodes are the same and are based on roll tables
  • Options
    Ashiel wrote: »
    But it also makes mining very tedious because you basically need to mine everything in sight for a hope of good roll on yield. It becomes more of a farming simulator and takes away from sense of exploration and finding rare materials by exploring an area. Also takes away from contesting rare spawns if all nodes are the same and are based on roll tables

Technically the rock isn't based on a roll table after it spawns. You'd need to survey the land to learn which rocks are what, so you could pay or hire a surveyor to help you figure out where to gather what you're looking for.
  • Options
    Would this discussion only include the surveying as only tool to distinguish rare materials, or would there still be rare nodes which you can distinguish by looks from afar while exploring?

Surveying is ok but imo they still should include the other way too in the mix.

An imaginary situation: you play through an area following a questline, immersed on the story. The quest takes you to a dungeon with some nasty dwellers and their den. On the far side of the den you spot a different kind of node which ignites a sense of thrill, that sure is valuable and you want it!

Or while passing a forest while on mountback you spot a rare flower and see another person spotting it too. You both change your travelroutes to rush on point to contest on this valuable find in the wilderness

If you require surveying as the only tool to distinguish given materials you take alot of variety from experiences you might have while you could get when you could distinguish some of the rare materials by looks
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Ashiel wrote: »

Yes.