Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Create a dedicated "family friendly" server

Ninja KittyNinja Kitty Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited November 2022 in General Discussion
For those of us who really don't want to hear the toxic locker room talk.
For those of us who don't want to hear the racist jokes, the sexist jokes, the raunchy jokes.
For those of us who don't want to be told to kill ourselves or uninstall the game when we make mistakes or don't perform to the standards of professional e-sports players or even the level of average gamers.
For those of us who may want to play the game with younger family members.
For those of us who don't throw insults because we are emboldened by the shield our computers give us and don't want to be surrounded by those who think the anonymity of the internet makes it ok to be toxic.

Maybe our server will be filled up with 'bads,' 'dirty casuals' and 'Karens,' but at least it will be a server we chose to join without the negative toxic gaming culture that seems to be completely standard in this industry.

If Steven really did post that the Ashes Community discord is 'not a safe space,' then could we at least get a safe space when the game launches? I would be there. If I'm the only one on the server and it gets shut down, so be it. I can look for another game. But could Intrepid at least promise they will try to be better? If it doesn't work out, no harm done, just close the server. At least then we'll finally know how many people are sick and tired of the current status quo of toxic gaming culture. At least then we'll finally know if there are enough positive people to support at least 1 server completely dedicated to a non-toxic gaming community.

****edit after responses:
So, let’s just strip away the details from my original post please and give me a chance to rephrase:

My overall message is that I would like to request a server dedicated to non-toxic gaming similar to a server dedicated to role-playing.

On role-playing servers, rp griefing is reportable where it is not otherwise reportable on regular servers. On the server there would be an additional disclaimer describing the type of prohibited behavior and messages for the server that everyone who joins the server would be required to acknowledge above and beyond the normal TOS regarding acceptable behavior. On the non-toxic server all toxic behavior would be reportable and swiftly and meaningfully handled by discerning human beings, whereas on regular servers almost all reports are handled by an AI that tends to punish people only when a certain threshold of reports have rolled in. This tends to sweep up a lot of innocent people who get brigaded and overlook toxic people who are not toxic 24-7, essentially giving them free passes to be toxic so long as they don’t do it too often.

A server where the first reported instance of telling someone “kys” would result in a 24 ban from the server (not the whole game, just that server). That could also even be handled by an AI for soft-kicks! Wouldn’t it be glorious if on this server people were instantly kicked out for typing ‘kys’ and forced to re-log in with a warning message? Sure, it could have been a typo, that’s why you wouldn’t get banned unless it was reported. but, the soft-kick would remind you to be more careful or make it clear that this server is not for trolls.

And I’ll say it LOUDER for the people in the back who are thinking up the next reportable reply with a GoT meme they think is totally going to pwn this Karen:

My overall message is that I would like to request a server dedicated to non-toxic gaming similar to a server dedicated to role-playing.

Comments

• Options
    Arya_YesheArya_Yeshe Member
    edited November 2022
    No.

No one attacked you by the way, but you just attacked the entire community while playing the victim.
    That's not nice, maybe the regular server is the real friendly server then! B)

7xkjzubc0kj4.jpg
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Or. You could announce that everyone that feels this way should join X server once the server listings are out and diligently shun and report people that break the ToS on said server. Talk to other players and make this community you want to be apart of, don't ask the developers for special treatment when they already have enough on their plate creating the basic rules and the game in general.
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Join a family-friendly guild with standards you are happy with and with own chat/voice channel - problem mostly solved.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sounds costly.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    5x9etgukfksg.gif

Isn't this what the chat filters, friends lists, block features and report button are for?
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    if you dont like someone, just block them and you wont have to read them lol.

if you are playing with your family and friends, i doubt they gonna insult u lol, but who knows.

also, why do u think that intrepid wont punish those who go overboard saying certain things? i hope they dont pull an ags tho
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I would love to play on a server like the one you describe, @Ninja Kitty .

I intend to find a guild of people like us who will treat each other decently, play honestly and not try to act like they are super players. I think finding a guild like that is probably going to be mostly successful.

I hope to find a somewhat similar, community minded node as well. That might be more difficult but not impossible.

I doubt that there will be a server like this, though. My expectation is that most of the uber players will band together into large guilds and military nodes and spend their time fighting each other so I can avoid them as best I can. Kind of like the 'real world' where we can be moderately successful in avoiding jerks.

Incidentally, that is the main reason I don't use discord...so much foul language. I can handle foul language, I did my time in the military in some bad places, and I learned that people who curse and put down others were the scared ones and the kids trying to act mature, but who weren't.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Sounds costly.

This is my thoughts as well.

If someone wants to play an online game with a child that needs to be sheltered from the Internet in general, they should play a game designed specifically with that in mind.

Wizard101 comes to mind here.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Children under 15 shouldnt play online. Get them a PS and let them play with their neighbours, offline. Like we used to do as kids.
  • Options
    The original post has left me speechless. Holy smokes.
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
  • Options
    For those of us who don't want to hear the racist jokes, the sexist jokes, the raunchy jokes.
    For those of us who don't want to be told to kill ourselves or uninstall the game when we make mistakes or don't perform to the standards of professional e-sports players or even the level of average gamers.
    For those of us who don't throw insults because we are emboldened by the shield our computers give us and don't want to be surrounded by those who think the anonymity of the internet makes it ok to be toxic.

Maybe our server will be filled up with 'bads,' 'dirty casuals' and 'Karens,' but at least it will be a server we chose to join without the negative toxic gaming culture that seems to be completely standard in this industry.

If Steven really did post that the Ashes Community discord is 'not a safe space,' then could we at least get a safe space when the game launches? I would be there. If I'm the only one on the server and it gets shut down, so be it. I can look for another game. But could Intrepid at least promise they will try to be better? If it doesn't work out, no harm done, just close the server. At least then we'll finally know how many people are sick and tired of the current status quo of toxic gaming culture. At least then we'll finally know if there are enough positive people to support at least 1 server completely dedicated to a non-toxic gaming community.

tl;dr

and

NO
  • Options
    Samson wrote: »
    The original post has left me speechless. Holy smokes.

Left me wanting to shower. Yuck.
  • Options
    Players would slap each other instead of using weapons? :)
    Maybe pillow fighting?
    September 12. 2022: Being naked can also be used to bring a skilled artisan to different freeholds... Don't summon family!
  • Options
    I can understand wanting it, but I don't imagine it'll ever happen. I mean, World Chat/All Chat/etc is usually one of the first things I turn off, for many of the reasons listed. But, I don't think an entirely separate server would work.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    The harm is the cost
    The reality is that dedicating a family friendly server is just going to attract trolls
    The only way you can really do this would be to try to claim a server to be more family friendly oriented than another and like someone else said diligently report players when breaking TOS.

Find a guild that suites your style, or make one. As AOC gets closer to launch you will certainly see more guilds pop up and it is likely you are not the only player wanting a family friendly style. Also gamer culture is very toxic, but if you spend sometime meeting people online, vetting them for people you want to spend your gaming time with, you can actually find many great people. It is the same as anything, there's great people, and some not so great, up to you to figure out who's who.
  • Options
    JhorenJhoren Member
    edited November 2022
    server completely dedicated to a non-toxic gaming community.

I think it's completely reasonable to want this in general. It's not going to happen as a special server though.

I think your best bet is to start community-building right now. Find like-minded people in your region/timezone, and organize your way into a guild and alliance, or several alliances, that agree to join a specific server at launch. There is strength in numbers, so work as a group to combat toxicity through ingame means, and through reporting TOS violations.

Ingame settings like turning off whispers and certain chat channels can be applied to the young ones accounts or characters, so they are at least spared some of the toxic bullshit.

• Options
    SeraphxSeraphx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Hey Ninja Kitty!

As mentioned in some of the comments above, I reckon your best bet will be to find a guild - this might be in advance of Alpha 2/launch. There are plenty of guilds out there that actively foster a space that is welcoming and non-toxic, there'll be the right one out there it's just a matter of finding it.

There's a channel in the official discord for finding guilds - that would be my best bet.
    7un9now91cf7.png
  • Options
    ChimeChime Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    akabear wrote: »
    Join a family-friendly guild with standards you are happy with and with own chat/voice channel - problem mostly solved.

Agreed. I'm sure there will be like-minded guilds out there for you to feel comfortable in. Also, turn off any kind of public chat if you don't want to see it.
    "Bravery only means something to those who are afraid of death."
  • Options
    No.

mute option will always be there if youre too sensitive for jokes
    Just a Sail, drifting about
  • Options

Some questions

1. If someone is saying extreme bad take jokes that are clearly very offensive towards you why not report them? I don't believe excessive insults mainly on the racist side will be allowed...
    2. Why not join a guild that has the same goals as you in mind or make one?
    3. A server name is just a name anyone can join. What you find unacceptable another group might find as acceptable. (Ie perhaps a little joke to one is extreme and they don't want anything being side at all, though the is wording is clearly light and fun). So how are you expecting the gms to take in account both viewpoints, "Safe space" is a pretty subjective term....If the issue is harassment, they have already said that will be against tos. There is pvp in the game, people can get emotional, that can lead to people reporting them from saying one thing + drama. Feels like a lot of work to deal with, when it be best to play with more people like minded and that way you can guild boot anyone against your ideals.
  • Options
    IronhopeIronhope Member
    edited November 2022
    1. If you want familly friendly content, mmo-rpgs are just not for you. It's like looking for a crime free society and then moving to Somalia.
    2. Who decides what is familly friend and what is not? Because you can find snowflakes insulted by virtually anything and everything.
    3. You're among the very, very small snow-flake minority looking for this and servers just won't work without notable populations in this game, so again, tough luck.

In conclusion: No.

• Options
    All servers will be of the same type - PvX
    There won't be any servers that don't have PvP, there won't be any servers that are "family friendly"

Steven and the Intrepid team are making a game that simply won't be for everyone
    If this is a problem for anyone, they should look to other games instead of changing this one
    No amount of complaints will change this fact
    They won't be making two versions of the game, where one wouldn't be able to offer the full experience.
  • Options

lmao, you lost me at "safe space"
  • Options
    No on the server. Yes on there being tools in place to report abuse, harassment, and cheating.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Hi @Ninja Kitty . I hear you, but I think this post was unnecessary.

So far the community of Ashes have been great and very far from toxic. Knowing Intrepid Studios is somewhat diverse I'm sure if you report these people in the future, they'll be temp/perm banned.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    ClintHardwoodClintHardwood Member
    edited November 2022
    Why not just make your own guild full of friendly people?
  • Options
    Enough. Stop bashing
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    edited November 2022
    Enough. Stop bashing

Big brain, they hoped people bashed and used all the buzzwords hook, line and sinker. I honestly don't think they will answer my post.

4xkjhaidcxq0.png
  • Options
    So far the community of Ashes have been great and very far from toxic.
    3awcjnqpc2qw.gif
  • Options
    Im offended by this post.
    Nric