Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

flying mounts only for guild leaders????

2»

Comments

• Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    MMOAddict wrote: »
    how do you guys feel about only the guild leader from a castle holding guild gets the flying mount?
    i think the entire guild has cooperated equaly in order to secure the castle so why only single out the leader of that guild to get it.

I understand that keeping these mounts super rare makes it all the more epic to have one however i think giving it to the guild leader is unfair to the rest of the guild. Wouldn't you agree?

instead you could for example give them to people no1 on leaderboards or something. This way you would also prevent the same people always having it

what do you guys think?

Guild leaders don't get flying mounts.

"Royal mounts are a tier 3[2] class of flying mounts available to Mayors of metropolis nodes and Kings and Queens of Guild castles. Royal mounts can also be dropped from legendary world bosses."

"Each server may have between 10 to 20 royal mounts based on the legendary world boss timers."

There will likely be several hundred guilds on each server so just being a guild leader does not get you a flying mount.

I'm ok with the scarcity. Will they be still be scarce 5 or 6 years after launch? Who knows.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    It's not that every guild leader gets a flying mount.
    Kings and Queens of Castles are highly likely to be guild leaders.
    Most servers are very likely to have 5 guild leaders with flying mounts most of the time.

Monarchs is the title they are using for the pvp castle owners of that month. Since they are guild content, the guild leader "becomes" the monarch. Since there are only 5 castles, there are only 5 guilds that those leaders come from at any given time.
    So... you know of a quote that says it has to be the guild leader who becomes the Monarch?
    Or is that just expected to be the typical result?
  • Options
    how do you guys feel about only the guild leader from a castle holding guild gets the flying mount?
    i think the entire guild has cooperated equaly in order to secure the castle so why only single out the leader of that guild to get it.

Has the entire guild contributed equally though?
    Being a guild leader in an active and dedicated guild in any MMO requires a lot of time and effort. Sure, they usually have officers to help them shoulder some responsibility for everyday tasks, but overall it's the leader who coordinates and keeps the guild functioning.

I mean, in my guild in WoW our leader is the one who coordinates all the raids, he spends hours planning raid setups, researching boss tactics, configuring addons and make sure everyone is aboard the train.

Being a guild leader is a lot of work and I think that should be rewarded accordingly. Same goes for being a major in a node, it will be a lot of work and if you only do it for the flying mount, you probably won't be re-elected many times.

I would be open to allowing a few more members in the guild to have flying mounts though, like officers or other leadership members within the guild. But in general no, a guild leader or officer will do so much more work than your average guild member.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Dygz wrote: »
    So... you know of a quote that says it has to be the guild leader who becomes the Monarch?
    Or is that just expected to be the typical result?

Guilds are the only ones who can declare on a pvp castle. They then can recruit other people to help from possible allied guilds. If you have more than one guild in the attackers, the final channel can only be done by a guild leader or their single designated lieutenant. This allows for backstabbing and other shenanigans if you say had an allied guild with you that decided to betray you, killed your GL and his designee and completed the channel for themselves. The GL of that guild becomes the monarch. The wiki should have any relevant quotes or links to livestream where it was explained in detail. Think it was one of the offbrand CC that Steven went into those mechanics on. Pop into Discord and ask Lex or Jahlon, they may remember the specific one.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    FalkathFalkath Member
    edited November 2022
    If a guild follows its guild leader i'm sure they're ok with him having that rare mount, if not then change guild?

Worst case, they can ask him to pass the lead to someone who'll get the mount for a while? easily sorted.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Falkath wrote: »
    If a guild follows its guild leader i'm sure they're ok with him having that rare mount, if not then change guild?

Worst case, they can ask him to pass the lead to someone who'll get the mount for a while? easily sorted.

There will be limitations on those that hold the Monarch title as to keeping them locked as GL. People will not be passing around GL to get around the mount restrictions and "making sure everyone gets a turn" As with most things that they have given details on, people immediately go "Well, I will just do this...." and then Intrepid usually has an answer for "I will just do this...."
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Passing lead like that is a big potential way to get your guild killed.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited November 2022
    Guilds are the only ones who can declare on a pvp castle. They then can recruit other people to help from possible allied guilds. If you have more than one guild in the attackers, the final channel can only be done by a guild leader or their single designated lieutenant. This allows for backstabbing and other shenanigans if you say had an allied guild with you that decided to betray you, killed your GL and his designee and completed the channel for themselves.
    All of this I am aware of.

The GL of that guild becomes the monarch.
    I am not aware of a quote that says this, but...
    I'm Human... I can miss some stuff.

The wiki should have any relevant quotes or links to livestream where it was explained in detail. Think it was one of the offbrand CC that Steven went into those mechanics on. Pop into Discord and ask Lex or Jahlon, they may remember the specific one.
    I can't find a quote for that in the wiki, but the wiki also is not 100%.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    I personally would prefer no flying mounts at all. They're probably going to be impossible to balance, and while I'm all for rarity, 10 or 20 players in 10000 is too elitist for my taste. When you put something really cool like that in a game, I think every player should at least be able to dream about getting one someday, even if the majority never will.

I would be much more ok with monarchs and metro leaders getting elite land mounts that were faster and stronger, because then it's just a percentage difference, not a wholly different experience. But 99% of us will never get to experience flying in AoC, and that's sort of lame to me.
  • Options
    wrms wrote: »
    I personally would prefer no flying mounts at all. They're probably going to be impossible to balance, and while I'm all for rarity, 10 or 20 players in 10000 is too elitist for my taste. When you put something really cool like that in a game, I think every player should at least be able to dream about getting one someday, even if the majority never will.

I would be much more ok with monarchs and metro leaders getting elite land mounts that were faster and stronger, because then it's just a percentage difference, not a wholly different experience. But 99% of us will never get to experience flying in AoC, and that's sort of lame to me.

Well I proposed one idea to spread some one week flying mounts which would be lootable from the other player:
    https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/54445/defeat-a-boss-and-ride-it-for-a-week

But people trashed it, they whine and cry arguing that if it's only one week than it's not worth it....
    If you die people can loot the mount from your

etc

This idea is truly fantastic and would be a ton of fun being able to hold a mount that came from a boss, even if the mount has only a fraction of the boss power
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I think that could be a pretty cool idea if it was balanced properly. It would certainly address my annoyance with how elitist the current flying mounts are, because theres at least a chance for an average player to get it, even if its extremely rare.

They would just have to put some kind of system in place to encourage the owner to be out in the world actively, and not just hiding away on a freehold to hoard the mount.
  • Options
    wrms wrote: »
    I think that could be a pretty cool idea if it was balanced properly. It would certainly address my annoyance with how elitist the current flying mounts are, because theres at least a chance for an average player to get it, even if its extremely rare.

They would just have to put some kind of system in place to encourage the owner to be out in the world actively, and not just hiding away on a freehold to hoard the mount.

Well in my idea, the mount decays in 7 days, so if you stash it will simply disapear from your container

The mount is tradeable too, so if you don't want to use it you can still sell it
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    I think it’s add something cool only have a couple people having flying mounts , as most people would just fly everywhere so they didn’t have to pvp , also I kinda makes it still ok be use the one with the flying mount can fly to the area for you example a dungeon entrance and you can just teleport to them
  • Options
    Also We all get gliding mountains
  • Options

I understand that keeping these mounts super rare makes it all the more epic to have one however i think giving it to the guild leader is unfair to the rest of the guild. Wouldn't you agree?

instead you could for example give them to people no1 on leaderboards or something. This way you would also prevent the same people always having it

what do you guys think?

I understand what you are saying but running a strong successful guild actually isn't easy. Good leadership is a trait many people can't fathom and it is needed to achieve large goals.

On the other side I get what you are saying that no one person is going to take a castle solo. It's a team effort and the team should be rewarded as well. I don't know what AoC has planned for that guild but a much faster land mount, say 75%, while your guild controls the castle would be a strong reward.

The real issue I have with flying mounts is that it is something that I believe leads to bad game design. For good game design things need to make sense across the board, forwards and backward, pros and cons. How does AoC justify that only certain people can fly? Is it that very specific type of mount? Does this mean that that animal is so rare that you can't obtain it no matter how rich you are? (i'm sure Steven would disagree with that idea irl) That animal can't be bred? That sounds off. How does the lore explain this? How do the mechanics in the world justify this?
    I'd rather there be no flying period. I know a lot of people think it sounds cool because only a few can do it and they picture themselves flying above the landscape but the crushing reality of it is, (to anyone reading this) it wont be you. You are nothing more than a tool used by someone else to get that mount for themself. You'll never have it.
  • Options

Strange, CEOs and shareholders get all the money, but workers made the product. Same applies here. Because they're top executives.

• Options
    bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Thinking is the hardest work there is. That's why so few people do it.
    Henry Ford
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.