Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Current combat inspired by GW2

Hi,

while it's pretty obvious that intrepids combat system is highly inspired by guild wars 2, my question is why we need a hybrid system like that when the main reason for that actually doesn't exist in aoc?

Guild wars 2 has kind of a action combat system, or at least one where you have to be active during fights and you cannot just fall asleep like in classic tab targeting games, because like every mob and encounter has some cleave, aoe, spots where you shouldn't stand etc. that is what makes you need to move and be active.

Maybe it's because of the early state of the game, but there was nothing until now that shows that you should play aoc differently to any tab targeting game.

Comments

• We don't have proper AI yet and the mobs we see rn are, allegedly, lvl<20. Intrepid plans to have harder pve later down the line.
  • GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited June 2023
    Thread necromancy, but:

The stream with the cyclops showed that there is no dodging or interaction with in combat, you can just stand around and spam your spells.

So again the question: why copying an active system like gw 2 without copying the actual insentive to be active?
  • SongcallerSongcaller Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The devs listened and split body was born. The devs don't listen about why we wanted split body in the first place and continue to make static dispositions. I repeat these issues every dev thread and still we are yet to see any tangible progress towards active combat.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    The answer is still the same btw. We all wish the development suddenly finished tomorrow and the game was fully completed, but that's not the case.
  • GarrtokGarrtok Member
    edited June 2023
    NiKr wrote: »
    The answer is still the same btw. We all wish the development suddenly finished tomorrow and the game was fully completed, but that's not the case.

But I feel it's more like some fundamental misconception in the combat. If they want a non static combat, they have to give a reason to move and dodge etc.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Garrtok wrote: »
    But I feel it's more like some fundamental misconception in the combat. If they want a non static combat, they have to give a reason to move and dodge etc.
    That is true and I do hope we see more of the "action" side of the combat. But outside of smth like BDO, I don't think that people would move all that much during easy fights and so far we've mainly seen easy fights.

In other words, I'd say we'll have to wait for a more challenging pve encounter to see if Intrepid apply all their tools to the combat. We saw the melee showcase and it looked quite actiony. The ranger showcase also had run&gun gameplay. So if both of those are still in the game - sooner or later we'll see them properly used in a fight.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Less than 25% of combat has been implemented.

We all know that the action side of hybrid combat has been the part causing trouble, so obviously it wont be done yet.

Bringing this up as an observation is both good and valid, but concern about it is not.

Not yet, at least
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Thread necromancy, but:

The stream with the cyclops showed that there is no dodging or interaction with in combat, you can just stand around and spam your spells.

So again the question: why copying an active system like gw 2 without copying the actual insentive to be active?

GW2 is modified tab, they added that camera after an expansion and it's really disadvantageous.
  • darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Too be fair it's not even alpha yet. Difficulty is not at the top of the priority list. Building the systems and the world is the priority, once that's done difficulty and balance can move up the priority list.
  • Solvryn wrote: »
    Thread necromancy, but:

GW2 is modified tab, they added that camera after an expansion and it's really disadvantageous.

It's anyways the combat system that comes very close to what aoc is aiming for