Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Is AoC finally the WoW killer?

Comments

• Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited November 2023
    Like the title says...

Is Ashes of Creation the WoW killer? I need a new game.

Under one Condition, Yes.

The Condition that Blizzard keeps dragging WoW's Face and Storyline through the Mud as they did for now about Three whole Expansions.

Welp,
    they brought Sir Chris Metzen himself back. They "FINALLY" had a Reasoning and realised, they must let the Godfather (lol) of Warcraft and at least a few of his Boys decide now, which Direction WoW will take,

or it's over.

WoW will either return to how it was until Legion - or coming Games like Ashes of Creation will supersede and suppress it enough,

so that People can rightfully speak of these Games as "The WoW Killer".

It was always only a Question if this would happen. "WILL" WoW turn into a Shitshow ? I could name Reasons why it did, since the Start of BfA - but i don't want to sound to political here.

A Hint -> last Time we saw TRUE Sylvanas Windrunner -> was in Stormheim against Genn Greymane. Whoever that was, that we saw "SINCE" the Opening Cinematic with the Siege/Battle for Lordaeron City, that was not Sylvanas.

That Woman with the tear-stained Face like that "one female Villain(?)" from She-Hulk -> that is an entirely different Character.

Whoever is responsible for ruining that iconic Character that is Sylvanas -> turned a cold, calculating, always calm and always planning Warlord, into an instable Nuclear Karen that burned a Worldtree ouf of a HISSY-FIT,

(lol)

and i think not even Arthas was done THIS dirty, as for Example Uther or Sylvanas were done, in BfA and Shadowlands.

I said it already -> but WoW must get away from the Track, on which it was for the last Three Expansions.

Bring " Warcraft " back into World of Warcraft, although we still had a bit of Warcraft in BfA, because of the renewed Conflict between Horde and Alliance.

After that -> it was a woke'ish written Fairytale. First, in the Afterlife (Shadowlands) -> and then, we "fell" into another Fairytale, named Dragonflight.

Where are the Dragons ? Wrathion, Ebyssian, Alexstrasza, Kalecgos and so many other Dragons,

DON'T FEEL like Dragons, in Dragonflight. They feel more like emotionally insecure Humans, who just happen to be able to turn into Dragons, via magic.

I pray to "the Others" - and all other Gods of the World of Verra, SIR STEVEN included (lol) - that Ashes of Creation will never be like WoW was, in it's last Three Expansions.

Because " THAT " - could actually kill Ashes of Creation, before it becomes the legendary Game it is meant to be. Hopefully Ashes will not do the same Mistakes.

It is already far to epic for that. The Lore of Ashes is way to cool.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited November 2023
    ShadowVen wrote: »
    No one here in Ashes community cares about WOW.

To be fair,
    i cared admittedly a bit to much, since Summer 2022.

I also subscribed since February once every Two Months -> from 15th one Month to 15th next Month - so i could always farm some of the Cosmetics from the Trading Post that i happened to find cool,

subscribing for like Four Months for the whole Time-Span of Eight Months. :D . o:)

But D~AAAMMMN it is so over with WoW, right now. I honestly didn't even care in the least about the Storyline in Dragonflight.

I might as well do another " Pause for FOUR MORE YEARS " of WoW, like i did from Summer of 2018 to 2022.

WoW was WoW last time in Legion. Whatever this horrible Hijacking of WoW since BfA was, stabbed me harder into my Soul than Sargeras stabbed Azeroth last Time,

and he used a Sword as big as Mount Everest and above that. 😅 😅 😅

ShadowVen wrote: »
    I just want Ashes to succeed and be better than meet up to its expectations.

YES !! Exactly that, Please.

Fresh Blood. Fresh M~EEAAT !! (lol) :D

As much as the former Vanilla Veteran inside my Heart will forever miss Azeroth, i realise i must move on.
    My Love for WoW didn't leave the Game. But WoW kinda left me.

And like all things that depart from with it's Fans - WoW, too ... ... ... ... must perish.

May Shadow and Light forgive me - for i am about to embrace "The Essence" in the Years to come.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    WoW Iconic Character main storyline is trash, but...
    Dragonflight gameplay is fun.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    WoW Iconic Character main storyline is trash, but...
    Dragonflight gameplay is fun.

I admit the " Dragon-flying/riding " is one of the most Fun and best Changes to the Game Mechanics, they made in quite some Years.

It is really cool.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    wow2 is the wow killer
  • Options
    Raven016Raven016 Member
    edited November 2023
    They work on wow2?
    Edit: I searched now and I see what you mean :smile:
  • Options
    WoW killer? I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but WoW is just a reanimated corpse of what it once was. WoW is dead, but no one has made something that fits their players' needs. Classic is pretty good but its getting a LITTLE old... Just a little.

If they deliver what they say they will, Ashes will likely take most of WoW's players. We have been wanting to leave them in the dust for a really really REALLY long time. Before the pay to win and sexual harassment charges! New World could have done it, but they made a few too many bad decisions. If Ashes doesn't do any crazy stuff, I think they will take the cake. I hope they do. We need it.
    c8ybb18afj2p.jpg
    "The gods do not fear death. They greet death as an old friend. When your time comes to return to the ashes, move forward knowing death is merely one of many paths to a new adventure."
  • Options
    Morgalf wrote: »
    WoW killer? I'm not sure if anyone has noticed but WoW is just a reanimated corpse of what it once was. WoW is dead, but no one has made something that fits their players' needs. Classic is pretty good but its getting a LITTLE old... Just a little.

If they deliver what they say they will, Ashes will likely take most of WoW's players. We have been wanting to leave them in the dust for a really really REALLY long time. Before the pay to win and sexual harassment charges! New World could have done it, but they made a few too many bad decisions. If Ashes doesn't do any crazy stuff, I think they will take the cake. I hope they do. We need it.

wow isnt dead. its still the most played mmorpg...it literally gives player what they want, otherwise people wouldn play it or it wouldnt be th emost played mmorpg.
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

wow isnt dead. its still the most played mmorpg...it literally gives player what they want, otherwise people wouldn play it or it wouldnt be th emost played mmorpg.

When I say dead, I mean that retail is a piece of &%$#. Also, WoW is nowhere near the amount of subscribers from its glory days. I have played it for over 20 years now. It is not what it used to be. I have an account, I'll log in to see 0 communication on zone/trade chats (no responses after asking a question), 0 guilds actively recruiting, and 0 communication in battlegrounds or random dungeons. They only way it is an MMO is that you see other characters running around ignoring each other. They may as well be bots. The game is virtually single player. Furthermore, you will literally get booted from a party within seconds if you don't know 1 of the 10034884539 streamlined dungeons. People are super crappy to one another.

On the other hand, Classic Hardcore is pretty fun... People are communicating, taking their time to build their characters at all levels, doing professions, and teaming up. When you see a 60, you go "holy crap! That guys is awesome!" These are the things that make MMO's fun, not pushing through a dungeon as fast as possible to get a reward you wont even care about while not speaking a word to your party. It makes no sense to me. Think about if Psychologically. We pay for a distant memory of what is once was.

When Ashes brings back immersion, social aspects, and verbal teamwork, it will take the players from WoW. I believe it will also resurrect many of the players who left WoW and the MMORPG universe long ago. Many of my friends who quit MMORPG's for years came back for Classic Hardcore/Season of Discovery (which will be short lived). They're all still out there waiting for something! They would come back if Ashes fills the void. I have tried many games searching for a suitable replacement for over a decade. Ashes is my... OUR... only hope (currently). The Warcraft universe died with Arthas if you ask me. Kinda like how the real world ended in 2012 and this is just a simulation...

Regarding competition with WoW's recently announced 3 expansions. The next retail expansion WILL NOT help them. They need to get rid of toggleable PvP, teleporting to dungeons through group finder, giant glowing panda flying mounts EVERYWHERE, level 1's looking like they're gods, and basically all the other stuff that removes the feeling of actual advancement and immersion. Oh, and it should probably take more than an hour to hit max level. They'll never do that. They made the game child proof, even though their main audience is the small amount of remaining people from 20 years ago. It is very silly, and when something shows up, they're done for, at last. New World had a crazy start, they took WoW's players, but people wanted WoW 2 for adults and it was a clunky action combat RPG. It takes freaking inertia physics into account while moving... Why?! Just to piss us off?! Once again, the next big thing was not a true MMORPG. I've been watching as close as possible, the Ashes team is avoiding these pitfalls. Steven was burned by games in the past. You can see it in his eyes! He wants to bring back the glory of the past! Gods speed my friend.
    c8ybb18afj2p.jpg
    "The gods do not fear death. They greet death as an old friend. When your time comes to return to the ashes, move forward knowing death is merely one of many paths to a new adventure."
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

When I say dead, I mean that retail is a piece of &%$#. Also, WoW is nowhere near the amount of subscribers from its glory days. I have played it for over 20 years now. It is not what it used to be. I have an account, I'll log in to see 0 communication on zone/trade chats (no responses after asking a question), 0 guilds actively recruiting, and 0 communication in battlegrounds or random dungeons. They only way it is an MMO is that you see other characters running around ignoring each other. They may as well be bots. The game is virtually single player. Furthermore, you will literally get booted from a party within seconds if you don't know 1 of the 10034884539 streamlined dungeons. People are super crappy to one another.

On the other hand, Classic Hardcore is pretty fun... People are communicating, taking their time to build their characters at all levels, doing professions, and teaming up. When you see a 60, you go "holy crap! That guys is awesome!" These are the things that make MMO's fun, not pushing through a dungeon as fast as possible to get a reward you wont even care about while not speaking a word to your party. It makes no sense to me. Think about if Psychologically. We pay for a distant memory of what is once was.

When Ashes brings back immersion, social aspects, and verbal teamwork, it will take the players from WoW. I believe it will also resurrect many of the players who left WoW and the MMORPG universe long ago. Many of my friends who quit MMORPG's for years came back for Classic Hardcore/Season of Discovery (which will be short lived). They're all still out there waiting for something! They would come back if Ashes fills the void. I have tried many games searching for a suitable replacement for over a decade. Ashes is my... OUR... only hope (currently). The Warcraft universe died with Arthas if you ask me. Kinda like how the real world ended in 2012 and this is just a simulation...

Regarding competition with WoW's recently announced 3 expansions. The next retail expansion WILL NOT help them. They need to get rid of toggleable PvP, teleporting to dungeons through group finder, giant glowing panda flying mounts EVERYWHERE, level 1's looking like they're gods, and basically all the other stuff that removes the feeling of actual advancement and immersion. Oh, and it should probably take more than an hour to hit max level. They'll never do that. They made the game child proof, even though their main audience is the small amount of remaining people from 20 years ago. It is very silly, and when something shows up, they're done for, at last. New World had a crazy start, they took WoW's players, but people wanted WoW 2 for adults and it was a clunky action combat RPG. It takes freaking inertia physics into account while moving... Why?! Just to piss us off?! Once again, the next big thing was not a true MMORPG. I've been watching as close as possible, the Ashes team is avoiding these pitfalls. Steven was burned by games in the past. You can see it in his eyes! He wants to bring back the glory of the past! Gods speed my friend.

wow players went to play on private servers xDDDD biggest p. server game :3
    yeah you are right, it doesnt have as many subs as before but its still the most played mmorg (excluding minecraft, habbo hotel, roblox and imvu).

the people who didnt like it, left and the people who likes it stayed. they are adding the stuff that people who pay like :3
  • Options
    If they deliver what they say they will, Ashes will likely take most of WoW's players.

Actually i would be quite pleased to see that happening.

For what the " Soy-Team " that came after Chris Metzen and his Boys, have done - to the whole WoW Universe after Legion,

ruining a once great Character like Sylvanas Windrunner and turning her from this cool and mysterious, shady Character, into an absolute "NUCLEAR KAREN" after Legion and before Battle for Azerite,

for making an absolute, unfunny "JOKE" of the Afterlife, with Shadowlands -> and making "The Dragon Isles" into what feels like being written as a Disney-Fairyland to most Degree,

for that they deserve being Players - and hence, "Money taken from" - in just a bit more than a noticeable Degree. Not saying WoW deserves to die entirely for it,

but for the last Three Expansions, a suitable Punishment should be administered. Get Blizzard sweating for real, for a good few Years.

I am pleased to see Sir Chris Metzen back, trying to rescue and save the Shards of what is left of WoW, in a way. But still Blizzard deserves Punishment for being a mentally sick Company with lots of Scandals and goody two-shoes Mentality going on.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I see AoC as the split off from old school mmo that got lost from WoW success we lost alot of diversity when WoW got to successful and everyone tried copying it we lost all other development path from older games.

AoC i think is basicly a modern take of old school MMO design philosophy and it has the potential to rock the market as WoW did back in the day, will it kill WoW not likely at this point only WoW can kill WoW due to players not wanting to give up there investment in the game
  • Options
    Veeshan wrote: »
    only WoW can kill WoW due to players not wanting to give up there investment in the game

Or in other Words :

WoW hasn't really just "Players" anymore, as it's Community. Besides from the Folks who really want to play it for Fun,

and i DON'T. MEAN. the " Erotic Role Players " in Goldshire,

besides from the Folks who really still play the Game for Fun -> WoW has a mix between Junkies and Slaves.

These People are "unable" to let go. Like Junkies made addicted to the Drugs of their Dealers, who basically to literally became their Masters, due to their "Customers" being hopelessly addicted to their Product.

Slaves.
    Slaves of Addiction. Slaves of Weakness. Slaves of Intransigence that the Game is no longer what they enjoyed.

But they put Time and Money into it. Some even puts LOOOTS of Money into it, by buying about every Shop Product - and a good Number of WoW Tokens for ingame Stuff.

This is more like an abused Drug Victim in a very unhealthy Relationship, than actual Customers.

I give you a Prophecy here. ;)

-> When Ashes of Creation will finally come out - in like between One to Two Years ... ... ;)

... ... and SHOULD Ashes will hit it big -> meaning it will get a lot of Players due to being Fun to play,

be mentally ready and prepared for the SCREECHING OF THE DECADE/S to unfold, coming from those hopelessly addicted WoW-Players, who Friends will all go over to Ashes of Creation,

because i am well-aware that some People can enjoy that dead Body of an formerly glorious MMO only, because they still have Someone else to play with them. Someone who actually cares about them, instead of ignoring them.

When those Guys are gone -> not even +400 Mount-Skins/Models and what else can keep a soul-less Game and Content fun.

Some are only still there, because People they care about, are also still in WoW. ;)
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Yes, consider wow dead.
  • Options
    Marcet wrote: »
    Yes, consider wow dead.

The Problem is -> that many People keep it "artificially alive" due to lacking Willpower to make a Break for some Years,

( as i have done between Summer 2018 to 2022 ),

and that many People always act like they have the greatest Fun ever -> just to farm ingame Cosmetics and Mounts completely alone and talk to almost no One.

I kid' you not,
    there were People - IN AVERAGE - who talked MORE with others in WoW Vanilla, while not even being inside a Guild,

than there are People now talking with others ingame, when most of them ARE actively in a Guild. This is how much Friends and Friendlists were cherished long back then.

It may differ from Country to Country, though.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    wow announced 3 more expansions.. at least 6 more years of wow incoming lol.

Even if they average 1 000 000 subs per month at $20 that's 20 million a month and $240 million a year. Definitely a dead game.... lol.

Dont forget about box price of $100 for 1 000 000 users per expansion plus cosmetics.
  • Options
    You dont want to compete with WOW do something different I will say
  • Options
    BainSamryn wrote: »
    You dont want to compete with WOW do something different I will say

I wouldn't hold WoW still in such high regard ... ...
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
  • Options
    @Dygz beat me to it lol. Great YT channel though.
  • Options
    So if Thrall dies, WoW dies.
  • Options
    No.

Ashes of Creation is a Sandbox MMORPG.

World of Warcraft was an MMORPG over a decade and a half ago. Since then it dropped the RPG element and kept being an MMO for a bit and these days it doesn't even know what it is. Regardless, it's a themepark "MMO".

The two won't compete at all, they're catering to totally different audiences.

WoW is the WoW killer.

• Options
    @HazardNumberSeven more in the sandpark side of things to be honest.
  • Options

That's fair. ArcheAge was also called "Sandpark" but was marketed as sandbox (like AoC). You know what I mean though. The gameplay between ArcheAge vs WoW is very different.
  • Options

That's fair. ArcheAge was also called "Sandpark" but was marketed as sandbox (like AoC). You know what I mean though. The gameplay between ArcheAge vs WoW is very different.

all good :smile: Just part of the where the nuance lands in the spectrum between themepark and sandbox haha
  • Options
    WoW is the WoW killer.
    Same we will say about AoC too.
    I wonder what Bill Trost is doing. Was he present in any of the recent streams?
  • Options
    Bill Trost has not yet appeared on cam for Ashes.
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    So if Thrall dies, WoW dies.

S~oo, the Question is ... ... ... ... ... how will Blizzard fuck up " THIS " time ?
    How will they kill him ?

@Dygz beat me to it lol. Great YT channel though.

Because Dygz knows what's up. 😅 Damn. That Video hit WAAAY to close to Home regarding my whole Circle of Friends and Acquaintances i made from WoW Vanilla on back then.

And i still have active Contact to at least Eleven People. Five or Six just make Year-long Breaks since the least few Addons but still tell in the Discord they keep watching the Game's Status and probably return in "The War within".

And a few of them married in Reallife. Jepp, a few actual Winners. :D

I am not sure what i should think, about a single Shop Mount making MORE Money than a whole Game they made Hour-long, cool Scenes with Three Campaigns with.

This is most likely not sending the right Message to Money-greedy Developers like at Activision. * sigh * ^^
    a50whcz343yn.png