Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Dual Weilding Obsession.

ToepekaToepeka Member, Warrior of Old
Hey all,

Long time backer, short time poster.

Just wanted to know, is any one else obsessed with classes that can dual wield?

I play a lot of wow and love playing Fury warrior, Rogue, Frost DK Demon hunter and Enh Shaman. (All Dual Wield)

Was just wondering, has there been any confirmation on what classes (If not all) would be able to do this? I assume rogue is one?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Options
    Anyone can use any weapon. We got no clue which class will be the best for duals though
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Dual_wielding
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Anyone can use any weapon. We got no clue which class will be the best for duals though
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Dual_wielding

Thanks!
  • Options
    I'm legit trying to duel wield swords lol.
  • Options
    Always loved dual wielding classes like Duelists or Bladedancers in L2 <3
  • Options
    It depends on how practical and fun it is for the class. Fury Warriors in WoW are fun even in retail because they have always been about getting a crap ton of rage and expending it into survivability or damage. Rogues and Death Knights also felt fun because they had fun plans around how they work.

Where Dual Wield did not work was for Hunters or Shamans. Always felt like complete crap playing like that for those classes. In Dark Souls 2 and up there were multiple different attempts to get Dual Wielding to work. Eventually they settled on making specific weapons that are Dual Wielding weapons. Along with allowing power stance from 2 which let you dual wield any 2 weapons of the same type. It was not a completely bad way to go about it considering that Dual Wielding often changed the movesets of the weapons overall.

I like Dual Wielding when it's done well, and often play them as alts. I don't go out of my way to make those my mains though.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2023
    Me. Two longswords. The last mmo that did DW well was Tera Online and before that L2 with Gladiators and Bladedancers.
    In ESO DW was a failure, mostly used as a buff bar for AoE dmg reduction or just PvE main. Recently it became the meta on my build since 2016 with Master spammable.

I think the latest mmos fail to provide weapon/class gameplay and ID because they focus on NPC gameplay and faction related skilltrees that are low quality in terms of design and balance but people love the delusion on endless build combinations. Kind of the opposite of quality over quantity.

I think we shoulr go back to basics with classes offering a couple of weapon options, with well thought abilities and animations tied around the theme of the class (darkness divinity elemental magic tank warrior berserker rogue ranger summoner etc etc etc) and weapon requirements.

Weapons as well as classes are the essence of action and power sources. They shouldnt be treated as passive skill trees.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I would love to see DW 2HW. I have seen it done in a few games and it always looks so epic.
  • Options
    pyrealpyreal Member, Warrior of Old
    I believe the Rogue can dual daggers. It was on a test of the combat movement system.
  • Options
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    I would love to see DW 2HW. I have seen it done in a few games and it always looks so epic.

monster-gingerbread-man.gif
  • Options
    also 2H > DW

Just think about the physics :smile:
  • Options
    Yuyukoyay wrote: »
    It depends on how practical and fun it is for the class. Fury Warriors in WoW are fun even in retail because they have always been about getting a crap ton of rage and expending it into survivability or damage. Rogues and Death Knights also felt fun because they had fun plans around how they work.

Where Dual Wield did not work was for Hunters or Shamans. Always felt like complete crap playing like that for those classes. In Dark Souls 2 and up there were multiple different attempts to get Dual Wielding to work. Eventually they settled on making specific weapons that are Dual Wielding weapons. Along with allowing power stance from 2 which let you dual wield any 2 weapons of the same type. It was not a completely bad way to go about it considering that Dual Wielding often changed the movesets of the weapons overall.

I like Dual Wielding when it's done well, and often play them as alts. I don't go out of my way to make those my mains though.

Yes this is very true, i always change class depending on which is most fun as DW done wrong can be very clunky.
    pyreal wrote: »
    I believe the Rogue can dual daggers. It was on a test of the combat movement system.

Love the sound of this!!
    also 2H > DW

Just think about the physics :smile:

Ewwwwww....
  • Options

Fury warrior in WoW!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    If you really want to get into dark souls 2, dual wielding was all about the power stance. Dex builds were rough in the beginning but broken AF mid to late game in terms of melee level because.. well it's dark souls lol. You could choose to 2 hand grip a one handed sword in those games if you wanted to which was great in my opinion. I never cared for 2 handed dual wielding if I'm being honest. regardless of souls borne or WoW. Atleast dark souls required you to be stat gated for functionality. Need X amount of stat to optimise weapon and wield.

Titan Grip in WoW was an excuse to make fury warrior stand out from arms but arms had the utility for PvP with disarms etc. The irony of samurai orc blade masters in wow and samurai themed Ren'kai in ashes... lol. Plus all the greatest orcs were Arms warriors... just saying :smile:

Well, not just orcs.. warriors in general.
  • Options

Mages should be able to use a staff and a sword at same time.
    But archers...
    I wouldn't mind having racial traits where orcs could hold a 2H sword in one hand.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited December 2023
    Raven016 wrote: »

Mages should be able to use a staff and a sword at same time.
    But archers...
    I wouldn't mind having racial traits where orcs could hold a 2H sword in one hand.

I would so play a Dwarf DW x 2H Warhammers.
  • Options
    I would play a Niküa with 3 Fishing rods to delete all sea monsters out of the oceans. ;)
    And then he get's stoned on the beach...
    q79i8hmfb0bk.png