Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How long will alpha two last?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Taerrik wrote: »
    As long as it takes.

Still thinking of a Month or Two, maybe more.

If Sir Steven lets us test the Alpha Two for longer however, i certainly won't mind.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    SmaashleySmaashley Member
    edited January 2
    I feel like Alpha 2 will lasts between 2 and 3 years. I mean, all core aspects of the game (combat, gameplay, mechanics, archetypes and endgame content) must be good and replayable for me to pay 240$ CA/year and from what we have seen, it's not polished and doesn't have enough systems to keep players engaged without always doing the same thing. Better have a lot of content on release for that price. They didn't even show metropolis yet...
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Four years eight months.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    WuqingYeWuqingYe Member
    edited January 2
    Since A2 is supposed to be persistent testing, and with A LOT of testers and newly added staff, I personally think A2 is at least 1 to 1 1/2 years long (with both Betas being a week-ish each for polish). It's fun to speculate and I know we're all ready to lose our minds once that official release date eventually drops haha
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 2
    Caww wrote: »
    kieff wrote: »
    5-10 years or unntil he can milk some more people.

wrong.... that's Star Citizen...

No need to act like a child and throw accusations around about other games. SC is making genuine progress with every update that people get to experience first hand.

Especially on this forum where it currently costs nearly six times as much to get access to the alpha for AOC in 6-9 months, barring any potential delays, than it does to play SC's alpha today.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited January 2
    It's a good question. I would love to hear from IS their guess but if it missed I'm sure the vultures would have a hay day with that.

I would love someone that had a good knowledge of UE5 and how much it speeds up production. Since Ashes made the switch, we have been getting allot of quality updates.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    I will say a year. Anything longer than 12 months is wild. Alpha 2 is merely an in-depth Q&A with all promised main systems in place. That is their time to edit, fine-tune and perfect. It's 2024, not the early 2000s with slower technology and limitations.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    It's a good question. I would love to hear from IS their guess but if it missed I'm sure the vultures would have a hay day with that.

I would love someone that had a good knowledge of UE5 and how much it speeds up production. Since Ashes made the switch, we have been getting allot of quality updates.

Intrepid has already said that the alpha will run until release, so it's exactly however long it takes to get to full release from the day alpha 2 starts. The switch to UE5 won't be cutting years, or even months, off of development time as most of what will be time consuming will be their own custom code and asset creation
  • Options
    TycanTycan Member, Alpha One
    I don't see a downside in having a long alpha 2 testing phase, it'll take as long it takes to get it right. At least that's what I hope Intrepid do!
    [URL="[/URL]
    [URL="Discord[/URL]
    [url=[img][/img]
  • Options
    I

Intrepid has already said that the alpha will run until release, so it's exactly however long it takes to get to full release from the day alpha 2 starts. The switch to UE5 won't be cutting years, or even months, off of development time as most of what will be time consuming will be their own custom code and asset creation

Alpha 2 to beta 1 and 2. The code is part of UE5, there is no need to hard code. UE5 will speed up development, it's a big part of what it does. I have watched some presentations on it but by no means am I an expert.
  • Options
    edited January 2
    Alpha 2 to beta 1 and 2. The code is part of UE5, there is no need to hard code. UE5 will speed up development, it's a big part of what it does. I have watched some presentations on it but by no means am I an expert.

Yeah, that isn't how that works at all lol and "hard code" doesn't mean what you think it means

So in general, using an off the shelf engine like Unreal, Unity, CryEngine, or even something like Godot should speed up development by offering generic solutions for stuff like physics, LOD streaming, and lighting and an "editor" to actually build out your game world. That is the entire reason they exist. However most professional studios are going to be extending and customizing those generic solutions, which requires writing their own code, to do things that those generic systems can't really do off the shelf.

Migrating an Unreal Engine 4 project that's several years into development to Unreal 5 isn't going to save a massive amount of time, and using an off the shelf engine in general will not speed up writing the bulk of the actual code for your game itself (despite those engines all having an API (application programming interface), you still have to write your own code to call that API, your own code to create the custom gameplay systems and mechanics for your game, and your own code to create the classes/objects that your game will use for things like weapons, armor, NPCs, the player character, etc.) or asset creation (the improved tools for GPU accelerated particles and some animation tools might speed up work on specific types of assets). What it will be more likely to speed up is creating the game world itself and setting up specific things like the lighting systems and LOD (level of detail) streaming systems.

Also, "hard coding" refers to writing a specific value into the code itself instead of using a variable that can change. It does not mean just writing your own custom code.

hard code example to print a simple string to a console in C++ (I skipped some boilerplate code like including C++ code libraries):
    int main() {
        std::cout << "Hello World";
    }

variable example to do the same thing:
    int main() {
        std::string outputText = "Hello World";
        std::cout << outputText;
    }

In those examples if I wanted to print the same string out multiple times in my code the hard coded example would start to become very difficult to maintain since if you wanted to change the string you'd have to change it every place that it occurs in your code. In the variable example all you do is change the string assigned to the outputText variable in one place and you're done.
  • Options
    Honestly, due the amount of time this game has been in development, I doubt it will take more than 1 year for the game to be released. Honestly, the game looks ''pretty solid'' already; they might just need a few months of testing... Well all in theory, obviously
  • Options
    Trickster wrote: »
    Honestly, due the amount of time this game has been in development, I doubt it will take more than 1 year for the game to be released. Honestly, the game looks ''pretty solid'' already; they might just need a few months of testing... Well all in theory, obviously

Most MMO second Alpha is about a year-ish. Beta tends to be 3-4 months for beta 1 and beta 2 normally is just stress testing and finding holes that were missed that you don't see without large population playing. My guess with Alpha 2 landing in July to Sept. If they are on time, starting from Jan 1st. My guess we are a minimum of 2 years from launch.