Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Subscription fees

JeanPhilippeQCJeanPhilippeQC Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
We already know that a fee of 14,99 USD/month will be required to play. I want to bring an idea already explored in another MMORPG: XIV.

XIV got 2 different subscription fees: 14,99 USD and one 2 dollars cheaper at 12,99 USD. I think Ashes of Creation could get inspiration from that. For sure, the restriction for the cheaper one would have to fit the game. In Final Fantasy, the “entry” subscription limits how many characters you can create on a Data Center. There’s maybe a way it could be done but ashes way. XIV is a game that had a big success.

I know there are harmonized prices in some regions. I also admit that could be problematic. They could just not have the “entry” mode on harmonized regions. Finally, I believe it would make the game more accessible with the economy going bad everywhere. The restrictions must make the difference between the “normal” fee and “entry” one. I don’t think it would be bad for Intrepid to have 2 fees modes. They’re always the post launch cosmetic sell. Also, it could mean more players that can’t afford the full fee trying the game.

As for included game time from different Kickstarter and Shop package, it’s already using the 14,99 fees per each included month. It’s not a problem on that side.

What do you think? Should Intrepid goes that way?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Even as an utterly broke bitch, I don't really see how $2 would make any real difference for the people who're on the fence whether to play the game or not.

And I don't really see what would need to be the limitation for those kinds of accounts, cause it's either too constricting and you fuck over anyone who buys the cheaper version or it's barely noticeable and you have yourself a lower profit with questionable increase in playerbase.

By the time Ashes comes out I feel like $15 for a month of content will feel like a godsent, cause we already have $70 games and that shit will only get more expensive. If anything I'd just hope that Intrepid won't have to increase their own price.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    There will be options for the broke bois.
    Certain regions will have "harmonized" subscription prices that better reflect their local economies. These regions will be segregated from other regions.[18]

Players will be able to make characters on any server they wish. There will be no region locking (outside of harmonized regions).[19]
    Folks have always been able to make characters on any server they wish. We are not region locking anyone.[19] – Margaret Krohn
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    There is no box cost, so even with normal subscribtion is way more affordable than most games to try out. Dont think another level of subscription is good way to go.
  • Options
    I agree with NiKr, 2 dollars isn't make or break amount imo, however I highly support time gated free trials as a way to provide people with a way to try before they buy. Before I got my first job to play, I used to hoard 14 day trial cards to play wow, some great memories. (could probably be done digitally now, lol.)
  • Options
    Gunghar wrote: »
    We already know that a fee of 14,99 USD/month will be required to play. I want to bring an idea already explored in another MMORPG: XIV.

XIV got 2 different subscription fees: 14,99 USD and one 2 dollars cheaper at 12,99 USD. I think Ashes of Creation could get inspiration from that. For sure, the restriction for the cheaper one would have to fit the game. In Final Fantasy, the “entry” subscription limits how many characters you can create on a Data Center. There’s maybe a way it could be done but ashes way. XIV is a game that had a big success.

I know there are harmonized prices in some regions. I also admit that could be problematic. They could just not have the “entry” mode on harmonized regions. Finally, I believe it would make the game more accessible with the economy going bad everywhere. The restrictions must make the difference between the “normal” fee and “entry” one. I don’t think it would be bad for Intrepid to have 2 fees modes. They’re always the post launch cosmetic sell. Also, it could mean more players that can’t afford the full fee trying the game.

As for included game time from different Kickstarter and Shop package, it’s already using the 14,99 fees per each included month. It’s not a problem on that side.

let me tell you a little secret, the only purpose of the 12.99 package is so that people buy the 14.99 package ;)
  • Options
    Depraved wrote: »

let me tell you a little secret, the only purpose of the 12.99 package is so that people buy the 14.99 package ;)

That makes zero sense. If someone is going to sub to the game then they're going to sub to the game. Having that $13 option isn't going to make anyone that wasn't already going to sub just decide "I wasn't really interested in this game but since they have two sub options so I might as well go ahead and get the more expensive one" lol especially in a game where you can play and max every single class, including crafting and gathering, on a single character like FFXIV.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    edited January 18
    I think a restriction on characters via payment borders too much on P2W, depending on the limitations set by the cheaper options. Therefore I see no chance on this becoming a thing. And while I get Intrepid certainly has an interest in making the game accessible to a lot of players I think the prime demographic for the game are players of the more "old school" MMORPGs who I would think don't struggle too much with a 15$ sub fee - and if they do, 2$ wouldn't make much of a difference.
    With that being said, it seems worth pointing out that while the economy in many countries is turning sour, this is now. But Ashes doesn't release now. It releases in a few years. So trying to create payment policies based on current events for a future release might just be jumping the gun.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    Not a fan of having two different sub fees like streaming services are offering. I'd rather have the $14.99 with a free X day(s) trial period.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Respectfully, I don't think we should have a free trial period. That is what the spamming, gold selling bots will use. At least make the spammers pay $15, that cost may keep some off the servers.
  • Options
    edited January 15
    tautau wrote: »
    Respectfully, I don't think we should have a free trial period. That is what the spamming, gold selling bots will use. At least make the spammers pay $15, that cost may keep some off the servers.

You could simply restrict in-game chat for trials. But a trial free period 72h to 7 day of gameplay is a good way to win over new customers who have never heard of Ashes / or new to gaming, but have only been served an ad on Meta. But we will see what the marketing strategy is closer to launch :)

The free trial of ESO back in 2014 was the reason I picked up the game and ended up paying for ESO+ for 10 years with over 11,000 of gameplay hours.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    tautau wrote: »

Gold sellers hardly ever use accounts they've purchased or paid for, it's almost always hacked accounts taken from legitimate players.

As far as a sub goes, I'd be fine with paying even more than $15. As long as new content is developed in a timely manner, I'd pay $500 a year for a game I like. As for how thatd go for player population/retention id defer to market research over my own anecdotes.
  • Options

That makes zero sense. If someone is going to sub to the game then they're going to sub to the game. Having that $13 option isn't going to make anyone that wasn't already going to sub just decide "I wasn't really interested in this game but since they have two sub options so I might as well go ahead and get the more expensive one" lol especially in a game where you can play and max every single class, including crafting and gathering, on a single character like FFXIV.

oh it does make sense. its called marketing and sales. i dont really wanna explain why but dont tell me you haven't seen services or subs where you have 1 price, then for a lil more you get a bunch of extras? it makes the buyer thing he is getting a much better deal just for a lil more. even coke does this with their bottles xD
    some might even add a premium option as a third price.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    For me the monthly sub is all I care about as long as things are fair. I'm sick of monthly sub that is heavy handed by the cash shop. I long for a game that makes me want to buy in the cash shop because I want to support the game over being driven to the cash shop because I have to. BDO just drive me away.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

I'm not really a fan of it, to be honest. Its a big rabbit hole to crawl into with multiple plans. What am I giving up for two dollars a month. Less inventory? Fewer characters? I don't think it does anything positive for the game. Final Fantasy shouldn't be doing it either.

Forget $12.99. For an extra $24 a year, lets all just agree to pay the same amount, and Intrepid just agree to do their best for that amount.
  • Options
    unknownsystemerrorunknownsystemerror Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Diamaht wrote: »

Forget $12.99. For an extra $24 a year, lets all just agree to pay the same amount, and Intrepid just agree to do their best for that amount.

Calm down. They are not doing that. The sub is 14.99 usd monthly. That gets you everything. There is no bag space for a higher sub, no craft bag like ESO, no content you miss out on, expansions or dlc, whatever your past mmo decided to call it.

What the broke bois have failed to understand is that Intrepid has decided to be magnanimous and give CERTAIN regions determined by them at a much later date a cheaper option. It is not a region, it is a single server. Those that are say from South America (sorry to call you poor, just an example) and constantly whine about how $15 is more than they make in a month working in the coca fields, will have a cheaper option to sub for that single, locked server. They can't play on a regular server, they can only play on the broke bois server. They can't access the other servers in SA, they can't try to be the infamous gold bot sellers from other games and make money that way. They are segregated into their own little niche, that no one has to deal with unless they also want to pay that "harmonized" price. Intrepid is not a charity, they will look to see where there is sufficient demand that even a reduced price can sustain. And if it dies, it dies.
    south-park-rabble-rabble-rabbl-53b58d315aa49.jpg
  • Options
    Vissox wrote: »
    I agree with NiKr, 2 dollars isn't make or break amount imo, however I highly support time gated free trials as a way to provide people with a way to try before they buy. Before I got my first job to play, I used to hoard 14 day trial cards to play wow, some great memories. (could probably be done digitally now, lol.)

that is a horrible idea every and i mean every game that does this has bots abusing the fucking hell out of it
    animated_flag.gif?ex=65e4cf56&is=65d25a56&hm=50114975e9baf8e739b5a5352418a0470b66437b8641ba05c7ebfd184d8ee79d&=&width=2173&height=780
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited January 16

oh it does make sense. its called marketing and sales. i dont really wanna explain why but dont tell me you haven't seen services or subs where you have 1 price, then for a lil more you get a bunch of extras? it makes the buyer thing he is getting a much better deal just for a lil more. even coke does this with their bottles xD

Except they could get rid of the $13 sub and not lose a single penny from people that were already going to sub to the game. $15 is the established price for an MMO sub and there isn't a single person that would just decide not to sub to the game if the $13 sub wasn't a thing. It doesn't actually do what you're thinking it does. Having different pricing tiers isn't a ploy to get people to skip the lower tiers, the vast majority of people that are interested would pay for one of the more expensive tiers if the cheaper tiers weren't a thing.
  • Options
    edited January 16

Having tiers on subs has nothing to do with "makes the buyer thing he is getting a much better deal". Makes it sounds like you are tricking buyer into a purchase. It has everything to do with convenience. Netflix/Hulu/Paramount+ all have tiered sub models offering a cheaper version WITH ads. People are more likely to pick the higher tiered subscription as commercials can be an inconvenience when watching your favorite shows.

Elder Scrolls Online have ESO+. Most players subscribed to ESO+ are subbed for the unlimited storage, double bank space for convenience.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options

Except they could get rid of the $13 sub and not lose a single penny from people that were already going to sub to the game. $15 is the established price for an MMO sub and there isn't a single person that would just decide not to sub to the game if the $13 sub wasn't a thing. It doesn't actually do what you're thinking it does. Having different pricing tiers isn't a ploy to get people to skip the lower tiers, the vast majority of people that are interested would pay for one of the more expensive tiers if the cheaper tiers weren't a thing.

sure, and what about people who are undecided? you are only talking about people who are going to pay the sub with a 100% chance. other people might need some convincing or motivation. its easier for humans to make a decision (or convince them) when they can compare 2 or 3 things (don't add too many options though, this makes it harder) than if they are just presented with one option.

there are other things too, the colors that you use, the things that you write. you can argue all you want but there are even books written on this stuff that have been in use for decades.
  • Options

Having tiers on subs has nothing to do with "makes the buyer thing he is getting a much better deal".

I'm surprised that you of all people is saying that. i had the impression that you worked in marketing / sales. maybe I was wrong.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Diamaht wrote: »

Calm down. They are not doing that. The sub is 14.99 usd monthly. That gets you everything. There is no bag space for a higher sub, no craft bag like ESO, no content you miss out on, expansions or dlc, whatever your past mmo decided to call it.

What the broke bois have failed to understand is that Intrepid has decided to be magnanimous and give CERTAIN regions determined by them at a much later date a cheaper option. It is not a region, it is a single server. Those that are say from South America (sorry to call you poor, just an example) and constantly whine about how $15 is more than they make in a month working in the coca fields, will have a cheaper option to sub for that single, locked server. They can't play on a regular server, they can only play on the broke bois server. They can't access the other servers in SA, they can't try to be the infamous gold bot sellers from other games and make money that way. They are segregated into their own little niche, that no one has to deal with unless they also want to pay that "harmonized" price. Intrepid is not a charity, they will look to see where there is sufficient demand that even a reduced price can sustain. And if it dies, it dies.

I'm perfectly calm. What you are talking about is reginal pricing. That's not what they are talking about.

They are suggesting that different tiers of service could have different perks at varying costs. Yes, this does work to bring in more money but I'm saying no thanks.

Although, I don't see the issue with trials (some here seem to). Restrict the stuff trial accounts tend to exploit, limit the level and let folks see the game before they jump over the paywall.
  • Options

Having tiers on subs has nothing to do with "makes the buyer thing he is getting a much better deal".

I'm surprised that you of all people is saying that. i had the impression that you worked in marketing / sales. maybe I was wrong.

I do. https://www.andreasaranasen.com/ :kissing_heart:

ah then I was right! ok I get it, you just don't wanna spill the secrets ;)
  • Options
    TRULYRULYTRULYRULY Member
    edited January 17
    As the game industry moves towards being dominated by the game subscription model (game pass), people will probably stop buying games and instead pay $20+ per month for a Netflix-like experience with their game library. So Ashes will need to compete with the value that Microsoft or Sony can provide with a similar subscription price. Intrepid will almost certainly need to offer a free or near-free entry point to draw in players, or just put the game on game pass or one of its equivalents in the future. I don't see how they compete otherwise in a future where Microsoft is releasing multiple AAA games on game pass each quarter for around $20 per month. How many subs do we really want to be paying?
  • Options
    TRULYRULY wrote: »
    As the game industry moves towards being dominated by the game subscription model (game pass), people will probably stop buying games and instead pay $20+ per month for a Netflix-like experience with their game library. So Ashes will need to compete with the value that Microsoft or Sony can provide with a similar subscription price. Intrepid will almost certainly need to offer a free or near-free entry point to draw in players, or just put the game on game pass or one of its equivalents in the future. I don't see how they compete otherwise in a future where Microsoft is releasing multiple AAA games on game pass each quarter for around $20 per month. How many subs do we really want to be paying?

woah people pay for the game pass? i thought they just did the trick to pay 1 USD for 3 months xDDD

anyways, different audiences, with some overlaps.
  • Options

woah people pay for the game pass? i thought they just did the trick to pay 1 USD for 3 months xDDD

Well, the audience is gamers and their dollars and subscription fatigue is a thing. When all content is locked behind some sub or another, the customers will have to pick and choose their subscriptions. People will either limit their monthly subs to just the essentials (Netflix, gamepass, PS Plus) or adopt behaviors like unsubbing during content droughts and juggling them that way.

Don't want to get too offtopic though, just wanted to add a different perspective to the discussion
  • Options

Well, the audience is gamers and their dollars and subscription fatigue is a thing. When all content is locked behind some sub or another, the customers will have to pick and choose their subscriptions. People will either limit their monthly subs to just the essentials (Netflix, gamepass, PS Plus) or adopt behaviors like unsubbing during content droughts and juggling them that way.

Don't want to get too offtopic though, just wanted to add a different perspective to the discussion

yeah but there are different type of gamers. you are basically saying that people who are interested in playing call of duty or mortal kombat 24/7 are the same people who will be playing ashes 24/7. nto every gamer lieks every genra.
  • Options
    Having a sub fee of $15 a month with no box price is already pretty good consumer wise. All Ashes has to do is keep making content people want to play and have cosmetics in the shop worth buying for a reasonable price. Once they get into expansions is where it might get complicated, but for now were just waiting for the game to launch first.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Since we on this topic. I would love to see a family plan for more then 1 person subbed on the same credit card.
  • Options
    180$ USD a year. It's better be a fucking good game
  • Options
    Undead CanuckUndead Canuck Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Only partway completed and it already is a f%^$#ing good game.