Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Enemy Health bars in PVP and the UI setup in the January AoC livestream.

2»

Comments

• Options
    I think the quarters are good (fifths would be better IMO) It would also be nice to have abilities that dynamically change depending on how much HP your target has left. Albion Online does this well, with abilities such as the Bloodletter Dagger's "execute" ability doing significantly more damage to a player with less than 40% of their HP left. It adds a dynamic layer of skill, timing and rotation management to PvP encounters.
  • Options
    Seeing the health bar is necessary for a game like this in PvP. Having 0 indication of a weak or damaged enemy in any game is bad design. You might as well take away all the health bar in the game at that point, allies and enemies. Blaming the visibility of the health bar for people griefing is like blaming a gun for shooting people instead of the person using it and is severely flawed logic. It's actually crazy how many of you think that's a good idea. The flagging/corruption system is what allows you to repeatly beat on someone and keep their health low, you could still do it without the health bar. Show the health bar accurately, just don't show a number or percentage, completely unnecessary to hide it like it is. If it's abused, fix the ACTUAL problem which is the combatant/corruption system.
  • Options
    Voeltz wrote: »
    Seeing the health bar is necessary for a game like this in PvP. Having 0 indication of a weak or damaged enemy in any game is bad design. You might as well take away all the health bar in the game at that point, allies and enemies. Blaming the visibility of the health bar for people griefing is like blaming a gun for shooting people instead of the person using it and is severely flawed logic. It's actually crazy how many of you think that's a good idea. The flagging/corruption system is what allows you to repeatly beat on someone and keep their health low, you could still do it without the health bar. Show the health bar accurately, just don't show a number or percentage, completely unnecessary to hide it like it is. If it's abused, fix the ACTUAL problem which is the combatant/corruption system.

Corruption system is fine, any one system can't prevent things as you need multiple things to work together with the system to ensure it only happens on a smaller scale.

Seeing a heath bar is not necessary for pvp unless you are one to only go after someone who is weakened. You do the same thing you do at the start of the fight while being mindful of your skills until you have won.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    fix the ACTUAL problem which is the combatant/corruption system.
    Blaming the combatant/corruption system for people griefing is like blaming a gun for shooting people instead of the person using it and is severely flawed logic.
  • Options
    NateDogg187NateDogg187 Member
    edited February 4
    While it will help my class tremendously to see the hp of people I'm about to gank, I still don't like seeing enemy hp. Too many variables are taken away along with good leadership/targeting. You have to be able to know when to switch target by seeing the visual cues of that player getting spam healed or popping his defensive buff, not looking at their hp like they're an NPC. It is funny to watch pvp videos where they have the person 1 shot from dead and they swap targets, and also knowing the excitement/adrenaline that player feels when they are in a fight with 10% hp. I know they don't want to hear this.... but... make 2 or 3 servers for no hp bar on non-party members? I would 100% play on that server, even if it was out of my time zone. I find that to be the only acceptable server ruleset change.
    In the archer video the bar broke apart and shattered. It was better than a straight hp bar, but I still could tell when someone was 1-2 shots from dead after just a short video.
  • Options
    I'm really excited to see what ui options we'll see come alpha 2 and how customisable it will be based on what the team have said previously.
    wbauorbolxt1.png
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Liniker wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »
    I'd prefer 0 indicators for enemy HP. No good reason to have them.

Otherwise UI looks fine for a WIP.

same for me, wish they went for no indicators like L2

Totally agree.. Way easier to grief players during PVE if you know their hit point level.
    Far more risk to the griefer if they don`t know the hit point level.

Way more skill to develop a sense of your own character capability and likely combatant.
    Prefer a skill based game rather than have it all spelled out for you.
  • Options
    ChocometeorChocometeor Member
    edited February 4
    Iam 100% for visible Enemy Hp bars (with all indication % or numeric Hp) as its a main component of any kind of pvp.
    going offensive or defensive is mostly due to percantage of the Enemies healthbar i think hiding it would just make the fight chaotic in a bad way - randomly shooting out Cds and stuff. for me it just sounds bad to hide Enemy-Indicators and i dont understand why anyone would want that even after reading this whole thread.
    uwu
  • Options
    PercimesPercimes Member
    edited February 4
    Steven hinted that there would/could be ways to segment an enemy's HP bar further than in 1/4. Some way to progress and seeing in 1/6 and even 1/8.

How you guys feel about having also the opposite option: "spoofing" or faking our own HPs in the opposite direction? Making enemies see your health in 1/3, 1/2 and in 1 indivisible block? Could be a support buff (bard illusion), item effect (cloak of performance) or progression through an organization (actor augment).

Both side of the system would push against the other. So someone able to see health bars in 1/6 segments would still see the bar in 1/4 for an enemy spoofing his own into 1/3.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    I didn't realize how divided the players were when it came to the health bars and I appreciate people discussing this topic cordially! Sometimes a UI setup can really make or break a game for the players so I empathize for both sides of fence on this topic.

Quoted from the lord Sharif himself. "With regards to seeing another player's health: As you know their name plate will deteriorate or give you an indication of like hey they've taken damage they're significantly injured, but you're not going to get a percentage. You're not gonna get an exact bar value, unless you're in their party or in their raid".

Aoc Wiki source:
    https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Health

0bg36ttbrzd2.png

And also, who knows, There may eventually even be skills or spells in the game which can temporarily hide the health bar from sight when in PVP, take note that we've only seen up to level 15, comrades. Also, if Rogues get a blind ability to use their opponent? With that, your view of the health bar could become obscured.

Which reminds me, I am eager to see the type of effects that happen when your character undergoes certain status ailments. With UE5, they have a lot of powerful tools at their disposal if they have the creative talent to dream them up.

Things I will always pray for in AoC that is completely off topic lol:

Unique weather systems like raining glass biomes, Magical aether floating through air slowly, Red/Green lightning storms, Frozen Corruption blizzards that maybe occur more in biomes where PVP is higher than normal. Unending wind and rain storms in river biomes for accelerated ship combat during epic weather,
    I'm talking enormous ice storms that drop damn glaciers from the heavens bro like rods from god, I want to live in the absolute chaos of nature when playing this game and I've never been so excited to die so much in a game before.

Sorry, haha, I become quite passionate about creativity and potential and often digress. :D
    I am obsessed with anything magic.