Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why people like Asmongold keep saying that AoC combat should look like this?

ArtharionArtharion Member
edited February 9 in General Discussion
Like this:

https://youtu.be/9r_EMogREgA?si=FpdJbokH-2AZZJ0L

Seriously? What I see there are two characters doing side rolls every now and then, moving from one side to the other (quite unrealistically, by the way), and even some weird running animations (sometimes it looks like they're skating).

According to him, is one of the best combat systems in an MMORPG.

On the other hand, it has been shown that this type of action combat is disastrous for large-scale PvP, both in terms of gameplay and performance.

Comments

• Options
    I personally shall only agree to one type of saying, as how Combat "should" look like.

Let the heavy Hits, Impacts, Stuff without flashy Colors and Effects, be the Stuff of physical Classes and Attacks.

Let the glowy Wonder-Stuff and flashy Effects be there for the Casters and their many Spells. ;)

That is all.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    I mean, Asmongold is a really charismatic guy and down-to-earth, and I enjoy watching his takes sometimes, but it's important to know where he's coming from. He's a hardcore PvE no-life grinding nerd coming from WoW. Personally, I think he has some ridiculous takes when it comes to PvP. For the average PvP player, New World combat is just bad in every aspect; it's super clunky, you have way too few abilities, and it just looks and feels bad. Of course, some people really like it too, and my opinion is not worth more than theirs, but that's how I see it and how people I've talked to see it. I've played games in 2010 that had way better combat than New World, and if combat in Ashes was gonna make a 180 turn and become like New World, that would probably be the single change that could make me sell my alpha access account. Lucky for me, they intend to actually make a good combat system that feels good and plays good, and everything we have seen so far in showcases, even in the pre-alpha state, looks much better than what New World has to offer today.

Maybe it was fun for him though, and that's why he likes other combat to be similar. I mean, he said other questionable things before about PvP and PK. People just have different opinions on some topics, and that's good, I think. It becomes a little bit of a problem because of his goblin-like fanbase not being known for critical thinking and own opinions, but I don't think he's trying to make the game worse or anything. I actually think he's just like us, saying what he liked about other games to try to make the end product the best it can be. And just because he has a goblin fanbase doesn't mean he's not allowed to say what he honestly thinks. I think Intrepid is at a point where they have their vision, and while being open for ideas, they are not gonna change their core concept just because a big streamer (or anyone else) likes something or doesn't like something. And if that's the case, then it's probably a good thing that people have different ideas so that they can go through all of them and apply what they think fits into the game and disregard what they think does not fit.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    @Artharion lol....

anyways..

Ever think about how announcers can make any low tier gamers sound like "professionals". Not that I am saying the people in the video are low tier or anything.
  • Options
    I think he's more about the controls and the interactivity.

Tried NW for a few weeks in either 22' or 23', and it did stand out as one of the more-involved combat-systems I've seen. A lot of the older games have all manner of auto-attacks and combat that didn't even require you to be directly facing your opponent. Systems like the one in NW require a lot more correct directional-orientation and character-positioning.

• Options
    ArtharionArtharion Member
    edited February 9

Tried NW for a few weeks in either 22' or 23', and it did stand out as one of the more-involved combat-systems I've seen. A lot of the older games have all manner of auto-attacks and combat that didn't even require you to be directly facing your opponent. Systems like the one in NW require a lot more correct directional-orientation and character-positioning.

It's called action combat, and for large scale PvP is horrible. Also, the perfomance is very difficult to optimize when you have to many information packages since you need to control every proyectile and attack that might decide if it succeed or not. This is why 50v50 NW skirmish suck, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of performance.
  • Options
    Artharion wrote: »
    It's called action combat, and for large scale PvP is horrible. Also, the perfomance is very difficult to optimize when you have to many information packages since you need to control every proyectile and attack that might decide if it succeed or not. This is why 50v50 NW skirmish suck, both in terms of gameplay and in terms of performance.

Aye - yours truly was kind of sad when the development team had emphasized the action-based system. In a world where everyone has fiber-optic internet, this would seem more-viable - but not everyone has this. I'm sure the coding for things like projectiles in an action-combat game works quite-differently than in a tab-target system, but it feels like Intrepid is committed to getting it to work in a satisfactory manner.

• Options
    He has played 2 most and never played a mmo with pvp, nevermind mass pvp.
    I'm sure at one point he said he wanted guns in AoC...
    Atleast he is open minded, though. I don't mind the guy.
  • Options
    HybridSRHybridSR Member
    edited February 9
    Ignore everything Asmon says about MMOs.

He has WoW brain and never played a social or PvP MMO in his life. In fact he hasn't actually played an MMO in a decade, since all he does is beg for gold and stuff from his fanbase. He said "PvP in MMOs is bad" and every PvP player "is trash at games and just wants to grief other players". He cannot process the idea of an MMO not being entirely focused around killing the same raids 50000 times until you get a drop you want. He's a PvE fiend that gets mad if he dies once in a raid group. He's going to most likely rage quit this game after being ganked a few times and we all know it (unless he gets rich instantly since most of his viewers have no problems doing everything for him in every game he plays, in which case, I hope Devs do something about it, I don't want a server ruined by streamers).

I understand he brings a TON of views for the game and that's fantastic and I often look forward to his reactions mostly to see his community's reaction, but the guy literally said while he was reacting to the Ranger update that "you can headshot for more damage" 🤦🏻‍♂️ He keeps saying AoC has "no visual style" while he loves the fact that WoW looks like Ocarina of Time in 2024, but that's "art style" and "AoC has no visual identity". He also unironically said the best combat system would be "like Elden Ring"... for an MMO that's entirely built around Mass PvP 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry, I just can't take anything he says seriously and I hope the Devs are smart enough to ignore his feedback.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    HybridSR wrote: »
    I hope Devs do something about it, I don't want a server ruined by streamers).
    They can't, because at that point they'd have to "do smth" about every guild in the game as well. Streamers are just more visible guild leaders. And servers can be "ruined" in the same way by either or both.
  • Options
    Ignore everything Asmon says about MMOs.

He has WoW brain and never played a social or PvP MMO in his life. In fact he hasn't actually played an MMO in a decade, since all he does is beg for gold and stuff from his fanbase. He said "PvP in MMOs is bad" and every PvP player "is trash at games and just wants to grief other players". He cannot process the idea of an MMO not being entirely focused around killing the same raids 50000 times until you get a drop you want. He's a PvE fiend that gets mad if he dies once in a raid group. He's going to most likely rage quit this game after being ganked a few times and we all know it (unless he gets rich instantly since most of his viewers have no problems doing everything for him in every game he plays, in which case, I hope Devs do something about it, I don't want a server ruined by streamers).

I understand he brings a TON of views for the game and that's fantastic and I often look forward to his reactions mostly to see his community's reaction, but the guy literally said while he was reacting to the Ranger update that "you can headshot for more damage" 🤦🏻‍♂️ He keeps saying AoC has "no visual style" while he loves the fact that WoW looks like Ocarina of Time in 2024, but that's "art style" and "AoC has no visual identity". He also unironically said the best combat system would be "like Elden Ring"... for an MMO that's entirely built around Mass PvP 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sorry, I just can't take anything he says seriously and I hope the Devs are smart enough to ignore his feedback.

I don't mind the guy. He has some valid points, but sometimes has no sense. Also, everytime I read the chat of his streaming I lose brain cells.
  • Options
    Classic people trying to advocate new world is pinnacle of action combat let alone any kind of combat. It is NW combat which is based on a survival game mechanics. Has nothing to do with action combat lmao.

I could do the same thing and pull up pantheon and why tab so obsolete. We can all do skewed points on tab / action. What matters is a game to game bases and what elements are good per game. NW is more setting the bar for survival gameplay over a mmorpg combat.
  • Options
    8faqv4.jpg
    5000x1000px_Sathrago_Commission_RavenJuu.jpg?ex=661327bf&is=6600b2bf&hm=e6652ad4fec65a6fe03abd2e8111482acb29206799f1a336b09f703d4ff33c8b&
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    They can't, because at that point they'd have to "do smth" about every guild in the game as well. Streamers are just more visible guild leaders. And servers can be "ruined" in the same way by either or both.

I think there's a big difference between clan members helping each other and having a streamer go from 0 gold to 20000 in 1 hour while they beg on stream. But maybe its just me.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    I think there's a big difference between clan members helping each other and having a streamer go from 0 gold to 20000 in 1 hour while they beg on stream. But maybe its just me.
    If a guild has a goal which requires money - the situation will be the same as a streamer's one. Except you won't even know that this happened.

And if the guild does not achieve that goal because it's not pooling money - it's a shitty guild that will lose out to those who do.
  • Options
    If a guild has a goal which requires money - the situation will be the same as a streamer's one. Except you won't even know that this happened.

And if the guild does not achieve that goal because it's not pooling money - it's a shitty guild that will lose out to those who do.

Kind of depends on what the goal is and how money is used.

But it can go beyond this to non-guild members / other guilds pooling and trying to guilt trip as if you don't help them you are not helping the server / faction / node. With multiple political and social practices used in a negative way to grow their own power.

I've used it myself and been affected by it. It gives you leverage and control over other guilds which is its actual power.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Mag7spy wrote: »
    I've used it myself and been affected by it. It gives you leverage and control over other guilds which is its actual power.
    The main point is - Intrepid cannot and most definitely should not do anything about streamers getting money or items or whatever.
  • Options
    The main point is - Intrepid cannot and most definitely should not do anything about streamers getting money or items or whatever.

Well the technically could make a max trade limit and tie that into the game in a way that makes sense if they wanted and people wouldn't have a issue. It be something hat mostly effects irregular types of players.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Well the technically could make a max trade limit and tie that into the game in a way that makes sense if they wanted and people wouldn't have a issue. It be something hat mostly effects irregular types of players.
    Max limit on what though? On a single trade? Cause I doubt that streamers (or GLs) are getting their stuff in one huge trade.

Limit on amount of trades per day would straight up kill any economy players. Limit on the amount of items would kill mats traders.

And even if there was some kind of limit - people will just go around it in the easiest way possible. You either allow free trade or suffer the consequences of not having one.
  • Options
    Max limit on what though? On a single trade? Cause I doubt that streamers (or GLs) are getting their stuff in one huge trade.

Limit on amount of trades per day would straight up kill any economy players. Limit on the amount of items would kill mats traders.

And even if there was some kind of limit - people will just go around it in the easiest way possible. You either allow free trade or suffer the consequences of not having one.

You can tie things that make sense and don't kill a trade economy and people would accept it. While giving more trades to people that focusing on trading and increase their levels and such.

I don't' really subscribe to the 0 rules thing or don't do free trade. Ie if some person is making an insane amount of transaction (because they are actually gold selling or weird amount of trading done to one one person) would effectively be stopped. Though if they allow it and ban everyone connected to buying gold that is fine with me as well but can cause dmg to markets if it was an exploit and can ruin a game.

Whatever the devs do is fine, I'm just pointing out if they want to they can do it in a way that really has no impact on most people and adjust it as they gain more information.
  • Options
    edited February 9
    Guys, Asmon is not the spokesperson of what a good MMO is....

Also "this type of action combat is disastrous for large-scale PvP"... It works very well in ESO
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited February 10
    Like this:

https://youtu.be/9r_EMogREgA?si=FpdJbokH-2AZZJ0L

Seriously? What I see there are two characters doing side rolls every now and then, moving from one side to the other (quite unrealistically, by the way), and even some weird running animations (sometimes it looks like they're skating).

According to him, is one of the best combat systems in an MMORPG.

On the other hand, it has been shown that this type of action combat is disastrous for large-scale PvP, both in terms of gameplay and performance.

You know whats crazy about this video?

That's the entire server watching them duel.
  • Options

I'm sure they'll have anti-cheating measures - but a free-trade game shouldn't have any such limits.

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Skill issue.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 10

Action Combat is fine for large scale to say otherwise is false, Darkfall and Darkfall Unholy Wars were good systems.

Average is just that, average and most will not be anything other than average regardless of action combat or tab.

The only limit to action, hybrid, or tab lies within the development team.

• Options

I'm sure they'll have anti-cheating measures - but a free-trade game shouldn't have any such limits.

Im sure they will have server roll back features to ;o
  • Options
    I'm looking forward to Asmon getting rolled time after time in pvp 😆 I wonder how much of that he can take when he has a stream to entertain 🤔
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member

They can give them corruption by default.
  • Options
    I've seen so much Asmon hate from people, when the guy clearly wants to see Ashes of Creation succeed.

Outside of the game being good and living up to expectations, there is not 1 single individual that has more pull attracting people to this game then Asmongold.

You should be hoping that continues instead of hating that he's a fan.
  • Options
    kanersen wrote: »
    I've seen so much Asmon hate from people, when the guy clearly wants to see Ashes of Creation succeed.

Outside of the game being good and living up to expectations, there is not 1 single individual that has more pull attracting people to this game then Asmongold.

He is good for most games in general, i think people are more thinking along the lines he says something so his fans all repeat the same thing and are generally more vocal. With some of his takes not always good (being able to turn pvp off like new world, one server for entire population, less pvp, etc)
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited February 10
    kanersen wrote: »

He wants it to succeed, but with his twist on the game. ("Game won't succeed without it being this")

He barely knows the intent of most of the systems that he watches and commentates on (yes it's what he does). He is misinformed and/or lacking the details, so he really just gives his viewers bad takes.