Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

How do you feel about the augment system reveal from the fighter stream?

NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
edited March 31 in General Discussion
Steven mentioned the augment system, and said that the skill tree with the skill specs is foundational for the augment system.

At around 18:44 in the 4K fighter video on Youtube, he starts talking about augments, and tells us that augments are essentially skill specs than can alter the skills a bit more radically than regular skill specs. He mentions one of the Whirlwind skill specs as an example of what an augment could be. I hope augments are a bit more impactful than that specific skill spec though.

From the wiki:
Augments can affect a multitude of things and can (in some cases) create entirely new skills.
  • Drastically change the ability itself.
  • Change the damage type and value.
  • Change the cooldown period.
  • Change the distance (of the skill).
  • Change the effect from a ranged to melee ability.

An example I think is closer to what I hope augments are is the Maim ability, with the skill spec called Slicing Maim. Check from 12:26 in the 4K video on Youtube. Slicing Maim adds a lot of range to the skill.

Another example is the Reinvigorating Exert skill spec, that reduces cooldowns by 1% for each point of combat momentum the fighter has upon activation.

In the past we've heard about fighter/mage applying a teleportation school augment to their gap closer. In this case I expect Blitz to be have an augment/skill spec to become a teleport instead of the Fighter flying through the air. It might help attack up ledges, and get past blocking tanks and such, where collision detection would otherwise stop the Blitz halfway to the enemy backline.

Overall it makes a lot of sense to me that this is how augments will be implemented, which is as powerful skill specs in the tree. Not necessarily in the same window. It could be a separate one for augments. What do you guys think? Does it line up with what you thought? Did you imagine something very different?

Comments

• Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    As Azherae's group pointed out in the feedback thread - balancing fighter and all the other archetypes will already be hell. If augments can truly change abilities to that extent - that hell will be even hotter.

If Intrepid believe they can at least successfully pretend that there's some form of balance in the game (even if it's purely 8v8 stuff), while having those kinds of augments - great, all the power to them.

But until I see real augments on at least 2-3 archetypes - I won't believe that the entire system will be as extensive as the maim sidegrade seems to imply.
  • Options
    ShabooeyShabooey Member
    edited March 31
    I think having it as more of a skill spec / skill change makes sense to me. I was concerned with how they were going to balance the idea of 64 classes, so this way seems much easier to tune as needed.

I think it allows you to keep your primary class identity, which you originally chose, and give it your own spin based on your play style, which can be fun to do.

• Options
    GarrtokGarrtok Member
    I like the complexity, but seriously they should implement some AI model for their development to have an overview about balancing, no man alive can keep track of this without technical help
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 31
    No concerns, total faith remains.

As a developer who knows how this can be done, I believe they can do what they say and what I expect, based on what I saw.

The only thing that changed for me (and not because of the comment, but rather, because of the showcase overall) is my expectations of the Augment trees themselves 'per Archetype'.

There were some things I would have expected to be limited, based on my prior list, that I no longer expect to be as limited, so if anything, I expect it to be even cooler now. Makes me wish the game's combat style suited me more.

I also don't have concerns about balance due to it. Augments are unlikely to be the part of balance where glaring heavy flaws appear.
    Garrtok wrote: »
    I like the complexity, but seriously they should implement some AI model for their development to have an overview about balancing, no man alive can keep track of this without technical help

I can't decide which meme goes here, 'I am no man' or 'You underestimate my power' so just imagine a mashup where Eowyn tries to kill Obi Wan, I guess.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    My general feeling about the augment system is that it will be theoretically great, but its diversity of options won't be used that much.

People like me will love it, but I fear many will only follow what's considered or perceived as to "best". Whether because it's thought as the strongest option, the easiest option to play, the more consistent, the most versatile, the optimal for x playstyle, ... That's all fine, so long as those who chose to thread a different path for their class are not ostracized for doing so.

Even if we're only talking about the weapon skill tree, not even involving the augments, how many will level multiple weapons trees so they can switch for the most synergizing procs depending with whom they're grouping with?

As for balance, I'm more concerned about poor options, those with so specialized or situational uses that they shouldn't be picked by anyone.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    Expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed.

I'm looking forward to their first true reveal of augments.
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I love the complexity and I look forward to exploring it.

As @Percimes mentioned above, it is likely that most people will just use a few of the possible combinations because someone said that it was 'the best.'

I think that expert players (which is more defined by 'mental ability' than by 'time spent in game') will come up with some pretty useful ideas which they will then keep secret.

I will also predict that a lot of the people who call the system "unbalanced" will not be the experts and will not have explored it to any real depth.
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Predecessor and PoE have really wild systems almost exactly as simple and complex as what IS has described for Ashes augments. Malady my beloved <3. I have seen enough code back end for similar concepts to know that it is possible. I believe Omeda when they tell me they can do and balance such things and I believe MY game dev when they tell me when they can deliver on MY complex vision, so why not Intrepid?
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    The way I am imagining augments is that they will change aspects of key spells to make them rely more on features of other classes. For example a rogue subclass will grant a fighter the option for shorter cooldowns on burst spells or temporary stealth at the end of an ability.

Another example is both ranger and fighter have forms that can be considered tanky, hunt of the bear and form of fluidity. I can see a skill tree with these two stances for the tank turning up the mitigation of these stances and increasing aggro generation while they are active. Nothing will really change that much in the grand scheme of things, but the fighter would now have the capability of tanking with several abilities offering skill trees to allow it.
  • Options
    SpifSpif Member
    I see augments allowing a variety of "crazy" things. For example, the ability that allowed the fighter to heal/mana off the damage he does for 6 seconds is the kind of thing I'd expect out of a Cleric augment. Now I'd guess the Cleric augment for that ability might allow it to heal the party (long cooldown)

But soo many questions about augment implementation.

How many augment options will each skill have? Sometimes none? Always one? Always three (that sounds impossible, to make 24 augment option for every ability)? It would be nice for some skills to have tradeoffs in augments. IE, with a mage secondary, you can pick a fire augment (DPS/burning) or a frost (frozen stack/snare) augment for a specific attack. It feels like less of a tradeoff if you can just get frost for one attack in a chain and fire for a different attack.

Will augments cost a skill point or be a freebie? That's a big difference right there, as now you're putting another SP into one ability for the augment, and less into another ability.
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    As Azherae's group pointed out in the feedback thread - balancing fighter and all the other archetypes will already be hell. If augments can truly change abilities to that extent - that hell will be even hotter.
    Though, it will be fun to see how Intrepid handles do so.

There are so many possibilities for fun game play.

At first I thought the Fighter was going to be a pure melee dps archetype. The recent Showcase showed that a better comparison would be from Cities of Heroes, with the Fighter being like the Brute, to the Tank's Tanker.

• Options
    Spif wrote: »
    Will augments cost a skill point or be a freebie? That's a big difference right there, as now you're putting another SP into one ability for the augment, and less into another ability.

We actually know really explicitly now, that Augments don't cost skill points.

It would have to be changed again and they'd probably announce it or something.

• Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    In theory it sounds awesome to be able to augment a single ability 4 different ways on 8 secondary archetypes, but it will be very challenging to balance. More than likely a select few options will become seen as the best in slot and people will just use those. You see that very often with MOBAs where there are even less choices, specific builds or spell selections are widely used compared to others. I struggle to come up with 32 variants of a single one of those abilities. I suppose the best and easiest way to go about it would be creating a theme for each secondary archetype's augments like the old example given for mage (fire, ice, lightning, arcane). Each augment gives a set of somewhat predictable benefits that matches the theme, fire applies burning/AOE, ice slows/freezes, arcane gives teleportation properties. Fighter augments could be split into AOE, single target, Crowd control, survivability benefits. Maybe adding fighter as a secondary to a ranged archetype like Mage or Ranger steers your class into a hybrid role that has more aggressive tendencies, allowing you to dash in and out of combat utilizing both ranged and melee weapons.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    Connecting archetype skill specs with the class system in this live, left me with a bad impression on a system that I already dont believe is achievable.

If that's what the class system is all about forget about necromancers, blade dancers and what not. Too early to tell but I just cant see it happening, unless the animations change drastically.
    Adding a red blaster at the end of one ability and an upwards cut on another isnt enough to justify the 64 combos.

Also, good luck using a bow on a Fighter.
    We need 15-20 solid classes with a few weapon options to satisfy a large variety of gameplays and offer a class identity.
    We dont need the 64 classes.
    I am fine with playing the fighter as is if things remain the same.
  • Options
    KriscoKrisco Member
    I'm really excited to play a game that doesn't make me choose between Prot/Ret/Holy. I like to have abilities from all of the trees, depending on how I jive with that specific class. Even having slight flavours of skills is going to be so much better than following a cookie-cutter build environment like every game I've played since the early days of WoW. Games will pretend to give you options but most have a very clear winner or they'll have 3 options. If I want some self-healing, CC res and damage output... I'd like to be able to do that. It's harder to balance but back when games were fun, balance wasn't the deciding factor.... Rock, paper, scissors absolutely works.

BDO is a prime example of balance and how unachievable it is anyway. Every class is the same with different button configurations... CC, AoE, SA, FG, iFrame. They give each class the same toolkit and it doesn't feel great. I think a large part of the issue with imbalance is likely the server tick rates and the fact that everyone is playing on a wide range of ping rates... so that speed of combat just doesn't jive. I won't go into too much detail as I'm sure not everyone has tons of endgame pvp experience in BDO but the new showcase for fighter has sure given me a good feeling for Ashes PvP future. People think they want BDO combat but it doesn't feel good, unless you're next door to the server. (You likely won't notice until you're 1000 hours into PvP but when you do get to that point, it's hard to stick around after you realize what's happening)
    LF_Forum_Signature-1.gif?ex=661130de&is=65febbde&hm=d6e86072253fa34a5000bf40b0b2b15f59f64c93ae452e9d84727163bd6d7b1a&
  • Options
    Azherae wrote: »
    I can't decide which meme goes here, 'I am no man' or 'You underestimate my power' so just imagine a mashup where Eowyn tries to kill Obi Wan, I guess.

Please someone make this "You underestimate my being no man" meme.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    I am going in with the mindset classes will not be balanced.... or not on a 1v1 scenerio but only moreso in large group play. When you add levels of complexity it makes it harder to make things balanced. I just hope they have fun classes that people can enjoy the game and look back with fond memories.

• Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    edited April 8
    JustVine wrote: »
    Predecessor and PoE have really wild systems almost exactly as simple and complex as what IS has described for Ashes augments. Malady my beloved <3. I have seen enough code back end for similar concepts to know that it is possible. I believe Omeda when they tell me they can do and balance such things and I believe MY game dev when they tell me when they can deliver on MY complex vision, so why not Intrepid?

I just played predecessor today for the first time X_X

edit: who is a good jungler to learn the game? ;3
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    accidental double post T_T
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    64 class options with skills that can fully be changed. I love options. I really they balance things in a way that does not do the nerf bat first. Some games balance skills and classes mainly by a wack a mole concept. I hope it's more of a case where when applicable balance is also found by boosting other sepcs debuff and damage. I really looking forward to class building. I really like finding unique play styles.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Depraved wrote: »
    I gotta come back to playing it. Been really slacking on my year of games :|
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Nerror wrote: »
    Overall it makes a lot of sense to me that this is how augments will be implemented, which is as powerful skill specs in the tree. Not necessarily in the same window. It could be a separate one for augments. What do you guys think? Does it line up with what you thought? Did you imagine something very different?

This makes sense to me. It wasn't what I thought they were advertising, but it is a sensible way to making something close to that vision become a reality.

At this point I am expecting that not EVERY skill is augmentable by all 8 classes in multiple ways.

So doing it on a handful of skills within the skill tree with a few options make sense, and is a manageable way of implementing the idea.

One thing I really liked about the WOW dragonflight skill trees is that there aren't a lot of "useless" options. Each option is suited for different things. For example, my rogue has multiple specs that I load up for Arenas, small BGs, 40 man BGs, Raids, etc. When I play with my disc priest buddy I have a certain build that works well with him. Like I'm not going to do an AOE rogue build in a 2v2 arena, for example, but I may throw it on for the 40v40 BG. And thats just an assassination rogue, could still swap to sub or outlaw for completely different playstyles.

If they make the skill trees similar, where there is a more or less obvious "best" path for different kinds of content, you don't need to worry about balancing every skill on tree against themselves for every conceivable scenario.
  • Options

Do you care a lot about winning while learning?

Y: Choose Khaimera.
    N: Continue

Do you rage and lose motivation when you get hard countered and become ineffective?
    Y: Choose Serath

Do you want to prove that you are skilled and/or original and know what you're doing from other games, and be rewarded for success so hard that your opponents will definitely just give up?
    Y: Choose Zarus

Do you like to make your opponents entirely unable to do anything to you if you start winning hard enough MORE than you care about helping your team late?
    Y: Choose Greystone

Do you like brawling with the enemy jungler?
    Y: Choose Grux

Do you like diving into a group of people and assassinating all of them personally with razor-precision (ofc you utterly die if you miss)?
    Y: Choose Feng Mao

Do you need to be able to get the kill on people who have good escapes more than you need to be able to brawl?
    Y: Choose Shinbi

Do you really only care about doing all of the above, but none of them very well?
    Y: Choose Sevarog
    N: Choose Riktor or Kwang.

• Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited April 8
    Krisco wrote: »
    I'm really excited to play a game that doesn't make me choose between Prot/Ret/Holy. I like to have abilities from all of the trees, depending on how I jive with that specific class. Even having slight flavours of skills is going to be so much better than following a cookie-cutter build environment like every game I've played since the early days of WoW. Games will pretend to give you options but most have a very clear winner or they'll have 3 options. If I want some self-healing, CC res and damage output... I'd like to be able to do that. It's harder to balance but back when games were fun, balance wasn't the deciding factor.... Rock, paper, scissors absolutely works.

BDO is a prime example of balance and how unachievable it is anyway. Every class is the same with different button configurations... CC, AoE, SA, FG, iFrame. They give each class the same toolkit and it doesn't feel great.
    Yeah that's exactly what I'm talking about, the illusion of choice when really there's only a few obvious choices that are the strongest. I'd be ecstatic if they managed to make 2-3 augments viable on half the secondary archetypes. That would be far more than any games been able to achieve for build options.
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    64 class options with skills that can fully be changed. I love options. I really they balance things in a way that does not do the nerf bat first. Some games balance skills and classes mainly by a wack a mole concept. I hope it's more of a case where when applicable balance is also found by boosting other sepcs debuff and damage. I really looking forward to class building. I really like finding unique play styles.
    Agreed. League of Legends has done that frequently in the past where they nerf OP characters into the ground and make them unusable, then nobody plays them for years. A more cautious approach is better. If one choice is blatantly stronger than the rest, yeah go ahead and nerf it but not excessively. Do a small-moderate nerf and wait and see how it performs. If a majority of people continue to favor it as time goes on, it's safe to say it's still too strong. On the other hand if only a few augments/skills are being selected out of many, it's best to buff the rest to be on par with those. A combination of small nerfs and buffs is the best approach.
  • Options
    DepravedDepraved Member

Do you rage and lose motivation when you get hard countered and become ineffective?

Do you want to prove that you are skilled and/or original and know what you're doing from other games, and be rewarded for success so hard that your opponents will definitely just give up?

Do you like to make your opponents entirely unable to do anything to you if you start winning hard enough MORE than you care about helping your team late?

Do you like diving into a group of people and assassinating all of them personally with razor-precision (ofc you utterly die if you miss)?

Do you need to be able to get the kill on people who have good escapes more than you need to be able to brawl?

Do you really only care about doing all of the above, but none of them very well?

what about kallari? i like stealth ;-; is she good?
  • Options

what about kallari? i like stealth ;-; is she good?

I personally don't suggest playing Kallari or Crunch when learning, I guess that's all I can say.

It's too easy to get caught up in 'what should theoretically happen' and waste too much time.

When you already know what to do, she can be really great.

A good (and relevant) way to put it, is that if you chose 'Rogue' in Ashes, but tried to double down on secondary Archetype, you might end up with 'enough stealth' but not 'enough damage to kill without a lot of coordination and perfect judgement'.

That's what playing Kallari is like for beginners. Most of the recommended builds and items will make you end up as Rogue/Rogue, which takes a lot more focus and understanding than Rogue/Fighter, and even then, it's still hard.

But hey, if you're really good at assassination style from some other game, rock on.

• Options
    DepravedDepraved Member
    probably gonna go with khaimera or greystone then while learning >_>