Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Community and Developer Concerns

Louder community members lacks imagination and creativity and I fear that the communities influence will stamp out the fire of this ambitious project. That the more obnoxious community members will create a glass ceiling. I wanted to talk about this now to prevent that from happening.

Let's be real. Not everyone is creative, but everyone here wants to enjoy the Fantasy genre.

1. How many of you are Artists? Hairstylists, Graphic Designers, Painters, Musicians, Martial Artists, Digital Artists, Dancers, Chefs, Crafters, etc..? Most likely, little to none of you.

2. And If you're not in a creative field, what are the odds that your level of creativity exceeds the relative standard or even reaches a decent standard? Perhaps more than one would think, perhaps very few.

I'm concerned, almost fearful, that the community will ruin the game with their lack of vision. I made a post a few weeks ago about Fighters being Vampires and the reception was.. scary. I suggested that instead of the copy paste warrior archetype we've seen again and again and again where the Fighter/Warrior is perceived as a brute... as a Viking, as a berserker, as a moron charging into combat with his eyes crossed hoping not to get targeted down to the dirt.. that instead we could get a true blade master. A blade master who studied the blade, wielding edged weapons, and knows how to side step, dodge, parry, or block. A blade master that could slice through a magic missile cutting it in two to avoid the magic damage. A blade master who's capable of parrying and swiping away an arrow. When I brought these ideas up in conversation it was quickly placed into a conceptual box. That's the problem. Creativity comes from thinking outside the box. Most community members have a box where they place their understandings of an MMORPG in to it. Any creative class ideas are filed into a folder and then placed in that box. That conceptual box was "a tank". Clearly he( i ) must be wanting a tank with everything mentioned above, right? no. That's the problem.

The fighter could have been more or could still be a blade master. The amount of side stepping, the amount of parrying, the amount of blocking, the amount of cutting through a magic missile is what differentiates a swordsman/blademaster from a tank. Instead of healing through blood magics like a vampire with the ability "Blood Fusion", make the fighter a swordsman with an ability like "Adrenaline" i]The fighter enters a state of focus and hones in on the target, mitigating incoming damage for the next few seconds[/i or "Side Step" i]The fighter dodges the next incoming attack[/i or "Parry" i]The fighter swings his/her blade parrying the next incoming attack[/i(here is where the animation could change based on the attack being parried. slicing through a magic missile, swinging the elbow and wrist to quickly swap an arrow away, etc..)

This entire post, again, is to prevent something that could happen. There is potential that the development team listens to the unimaginative masses whom speak louder or shout frequently, whom thinks they know what makes good fantasy or fantasy game without having ever contributed to something creative.

My thanks to the entire development team. The writers, the artists, the digital artists, etc.. I appreciate you all for attempting to revitalize and innovate the Fantasy genre. If anyone can do it, it is your all.

Lastly, I understand people don't like having a mirror put up to their face so please direct your hate in the comment section below. If you want to attack my creativity, know that my career is in a creative and social field and I've been drawing, painting, dancing, playing music, and have practiced martial arts for more than half of my life. I am 33 years old. So get creative.

- Ocean

Comments

• Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited May 6
    Anyone that wants to provide feedback should be able to do so. The developers are more than capable of sifting through all of it and deciding what has some merit and what doesn't. We don't need people like you trying to discourage others from providing that just because you think they're not "creative" enough.
  • Options
    Anyone that wants to provide feedback should be able to do so. The developers are more than capable of sifting through all of it and deciding what has some merit and what doesn't. We don't need people like you trying to discourage others from providing that just because you think they're not "creative" enough.

you just agreed with me. appreciate it.
  • Options

I did not. You're trying to shame people into not providing feedback because you think they don't have anything to add because they might not be "creative" which is a load of crap. I would bet that a lot of the people on here that don't work in a creative field have far more useful feedback to offer than you do.
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    You'll be happy to know, OP, that the 'Vampire Fighter' in my group is also the artist, professionally too!

Therefore, given your logic, everything is probably fine. Thanks for the concern though.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited May 6
    Hm. There are a lot of assumptions you’re making that have to be right to justify your sense of righteousness.

You certain that’s the most ‘creative’ course to take?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Damn, you're still THAT butthurt about people disagreeing with you, huh. A shame.

Also, this is peak Dunning-Kruger :)
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    Damn, you're still THAT butthurt about people disagreeing with you, huh. A shame.

If you say so. so angy. grrr
  • Options

I did not. You're trying to shame people into not providing feedback because you think they don't have anything to add because they might not be "creative" which is a load of crap. I would bet that a lot of the people on here that don't work in a creative field have far more useful feedback to offer than you do.

hmk. cool. I don't disagree. I totally am saying that amongst a huge pool of people plenty lack imagination and creativity. facts are facts.
  • Options
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Hm. There are a lot of assumptions you’re making that have to be right to justify your sense of righteousness.

You certain that’s the most ‘creative’ course to take?

however you want to take my words. do that.
  • Options

You could perceive my words as pretentious. The only thing that matters is the right people reading the message, not you. :)
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    1. How many of you are Artists? Hairstylists, Graphic Designers, Painters, Musicians, Martial Artists, Digital Artists, Dancers, Chefs, Crafters, etc..? Most likely, little to none of you.

I know a dancer! He will not play AoC.
    Martial Artists maybe there are some... they could indeed help design a new monk class.
    And maybe some are experienced nail painters. We just need mobs with big nails which drop them.
  • Options
    Haha nice.
  • Options
    Otr wrote: »

Martial Artists maybe there are some... they could indeed help design a new monk class.
    And maybe some are experienced nail painters. We just need mobs with big nails which drop them.

haha, nice.
  • Options
    SauronplaySauronplay Member
    I think that the developers try to adapt the ideas from the players' comments to the vision and concept that Steven has of his own game, and mostly those ideas come from middle-aged players, which are not bad ideas but they are not revolutionary. as intrepid requires. And it is likely that the release year of this game is outdated and aimed mostly at middle-aged customers.

So good ideas go unnoticed or not taken seriously. I have read very good ideas in the comments, but the developers have not yet managed to adapt those ideas into the game or it could be wrong and they are developing it right now.
  • Options
    OtrOtr Member
    Otr wrote: »

haha, nice.

In one of the streams Margaret wanted to show us a tulnar toe. I bet it was for this purpose!
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited May 6

You could perceive my words as pretentious. The only thing that matters is the right people reading the message, not you. :)

I can promise you that nobody at Intrepid is taking anything you say on this topic seriously lol if you have any real feedback then they'll read that and judge it as they see fit. Based on this post, and your responses to people in here so far, I wouldn't put much stock into you actually having any really useful or "creative" feedback to provide though.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited May 7
    Louder community members lacks imagination and creativity and I fear that the communities influence will stamp out the fire of this ambitious project. That the more obnoxious community members will create a glass ceiling. I wanted to talk about this now to prevent that from happening.

Let's be real. Not everyone is creative, but everyone here wants to enjoy the Fantasy genre.

2. And If you're not in a creative field, what are the odds that your level of creativity exceeds the relative standard or even reaches a decent standard? Perhaps more than one would think, perhaps very few.

I'm concerned, almost fearful, that the community will ruin the game with their lack of vision. I made a post a few weeks ago about Fighters being Vampires and the reception was.. scary. I suggested that instead of the copy paste warrior archetype we've seen again and again and again where the Fighter/Warrior is perceived as a brute... as a Viking, as a berserker, as a moron charging into combat with his eyes crossed hoping not to get targeted down to the dirt.. that instead we could get a true blade master. A blade master who studied the blade, wielding edged weapons, and knows how to side step, dodge, parry, or block. A blade master that could slice through a magic missile cutting it in two to avoid the magic damage. A blade master who's capable of parrying and swiping away an arrow. When I brought these ideas up in conversation it was quickly placed into a conceptual box. That's the problem. Creativity comes from thinking outside the box. Most community members have a box where they place their understandings of an MMORPG in to it. Any creative class ideas are filed into a folder and then placed in that box. That conceptual box was "a tank". Clearly he( i ) must be wanting a tank with everything mentioned above, right? no. That's the problem.

The fighter could have been more or could still be a blade master. The amount of side stepping, the amount of parrying, the amount of blocking, the amount of cutting through a magic missile is what differentiates a swordsman/blademaster from a tank. Instead of healing through blood magics like a vampire with the ability "Blood Fusion", make the fighter a swordsman with an ability like "Adrenaline" i]The fighter enters a state of focus and hones in on the target, mitigating incoming damage for the next few seconds[/i or "Side Step" i]The fighter dodges the next incoming attack[/i or "Parry" i]The fighter swings his/her blade parrying the next incoming attack[/i(here is where the animation could change based on the attack being parried. slicing through a magic missile, swinging the elbow and wrist to quickly swap an arrow away, etc..)

This entire post, again, is to prevent something that could happen. There is potential that the development team listens to the unimaginative masses whom speak louder or shout frequently, whom thinks they know what makes good fantasy or fantasy game without having ever contributed to something creative.

My thanks to the entire development team. The writers, the artists, the digital artists, etc.. I appreciate you all for attempting to revitalize and innovate the Fantasy genre. If anyone can do it, it is your all.

Lastly, I understand people don't like having a mirror put up to their face so please direct your hate in the comment section below. If you want to attack my creativity, know that my career is in a creative and social field and I've been drawing, painting, dancing, playing music, and have practiced martial arts for more than half of my life. I am 33 years old. So get creative.

- Ocean

I'm an Actor/Singer/Dancer.

Basically, what you described for the Fighter does not sound like an MMORPG.

The whole point of Magic Missle is that it's an automatic hit, so I don't see how a Blade Master slices through that without some kind of "supernatural" anti-magic ability.

Augments should give players many different styles of Fighter. Weapon choice should also give us many different styles of Fighter.

I dunno how you can complain about not thinking outside of the box and also complain that Blood Fusion is not an appropriate Active Skill for a Fighter. Seems highly creative, to me, that Ren'Kai would create that type of Fighter Skill and teach it to other Fighters.
    If you don't like the Blood motif, there will be Augments and Cosmetics that allow you to change the Blood theme to some other theme.

Ashes has Hybrid Combat, so if you wish your Fighter to focus on the Active Combat skills, rather than the Tab Target skills, you will have that option.

Mr. Pot...
    I think you are the one who does not like to be faced with mirrors.
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    I am concerned that People concern themselves to much about the Concerns of concerned People who may happen to not be the Developers. (lol)

While it is okay to be concerned for the Games Development, People should "pretty-Please" leave the Concerns to the Developers concerned and not concern themselves with what only the Developers concerned should concern themselves with.

Am i understood ? Or are my concerns overheard ? Please don't force me to concern myself anymore than i already did. This is very concerning otherwise.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    Mag7spyMag7spy Member
    This is a bad take yet again....Why start your conversation like this there is no reason and waste talking points and distracts for any point on your post.

By your logic since I've worked on movies and tv shows my opinion means more than yours or others. Everyone has something to bring to a conversation be it small or large, not just people that are creative...

The last part ill say on this part is this had nothing to do with being creative, you were trying to state that blood skills, etc aren't really warrior skills. As well as not accepting much on the augment system (even if we don't know much on it) and refused to budge on a skill related to blood.

~~~~

I see you talking about parry and side stepping attacks, we need t keep in mind what type of game we are talking about, and their aims for combat. This is a hybrid combat type game, which position will mean more than a full tab target game, you aren't going to get pin point side stepping. Parry could be a thing on a mini timed defensive skill / reflect pretty easily. On a general case of movement i expect a lot of classes to have things to dodge some skills by moving a alrge distance (warrior had a skill, wizard blink, ranger jump, etc)

Please stop saying "INSTEAD" you are not helping your post. Stop saying what warrior can and can not be. You are trying to say imaginative like your suggestion is a innovation. It literally is just basic warrior skills, its nothing fancy or special.... You aren't being innovative you are just suggesting for the basic standard warrior.

If you want innovative or something with some imagination than I'd go for a dark knight warrior, BLOOD warrior, or a Warrior that has time magic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gcy0dkTsueY
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited May 7
    I mean where do you honestly think a post like this will get you?

This type of thing is the best way to ensure people don't do what you want.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    Woop!

I'm a musician, a martial artist, and a writer!

My feedback is allowed!!!

dance-happy.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I'm concerned, almost fearful, that the community will ruin the game with their lack of vision.
    What the fuck are you talking about?

The community is not supposed to be coming up with the vision for the game - that is literally Stevens job.

If he is looking to us, the game is doomed regardless of who is the loudest.
  • Options
    Aszkalon wrote: »
    I am concerned that People concern themselves to much about the Concerns of concerned People who may happen to not be the Developers. (lol)

While it is okay to be concerned for the Games Development, People should "pretty-Please" leave the Concerns to the Developers concerned and not concern themselves with what only the Developers concerned should concern themselves with.

Am i understood ? Or are my concerns overheard ? Please don't force me to concern myself anymore than i already did. This is very concerning otherwise.

I can promise you that nobody at Intrepid is taking anything you say on this topic seriously lol if you have any real feedback then they'll read that and judge it as they see fit. Based on this post, and your responses to people in here so far, I wouldn't put much stock into you actually having any really useful or "creative" feedback to provide though.

"i promise that people i have never met before are not taking you seriously because I don't think your feedback has value" yawwwnnnn
  • Options
    Sauronplay wrote: »
    I think that the developers try to adapt the ideas from the players' comments to the vision and concept that Steven has of his own game, and mostly those ideas come from middle-aged players, which are not bad ideas but they are not revolutionary. as intrepid requires. And it is likely that the release year of this game is outdated and aimed mostly at middle-aged customers.

So good ideas go unnoticed or not taken seriously. I have read very good ideas in the comments, but the developers have not yet managed to adapt those ideas into the game or it could be wrong and they are developing it right now.

hmm, well said. Hadn't thought of it from that perspective. You're probably right if not, just right. What a shame. I'll keep my expectations lower then.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

- Ocean

The whole point of Magic Missle is that it's an automatic hit, so I don't see how a Blade Master slices through that without some kind of "supernatural" anti-magic ability.

Augments should give players many different styles of Fighter. Weapon choice should also give us many different styles of Fighter.

I dunno how you can complain about not thinking outside of the box and also complain that Blood Fusion is not an appropriate Active Skill for a Fighter. Seems highly creative, to me, that Ren'Kai would create that type of Fighter Skill and teach it to other Fighters.
    If you don't like the Blood motif, there will be Augments and Cosmetics that allow you to change the Blood theme to some other theme.

Ashes has Hybrid Combat, so if you wish your Fighter to focus on the Active Combat skills, rather than the Tab Target skills, you will have that option.

Mr. Pot...

quite the opposite, i love it. i'm challenging you all to prove me wrong and change my mind. My mind still hasn't been changed because you just proved my point by pulling out ideas from the box and not outside it. your claims of their being augments and cosmetics that allow the player to change the blood vampiric fighter theme is baseless.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Dygz wrote: »

- Ocean

Mr. Pot...

quite the opposite, i love it. i'm challenging you all to prove me wrong and change my mind. My mind still hasn't been changed because you just proved my point by pulling out ideas from the box and not outside it. your claims of their being augments and cosmetics that allow the player to change the blood vampiric fighter theme is baseless.

Your narcissism places you at the center of this games development. They are hiring, feel free to apply.

No one is required to prove anything to your unchanging view point.
  • Options
    daveywaveydaveywavey Member
    Diamaht wrote: »
    No one is required to prove anything to your unchanging view point.

Hah yeah. Imagine thinking we care enough about their opinion that we want/need to change their mind! :D
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Well, that's quite a delusional one.
    6wtxguK.jpg
    Aren't we all sinners?
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited May 8

People that attempt to encourage others to "think outside the box" are themselves not capable of doing the very thing they just asked others to do.

If they were capable of it, they wouldn't use such a cliche term.

Anyone that I come across that uses that specific term in a manner where they are asking others to do it is someone I know to be completely devoid of any immagination at all.
    Creativity comes from thinking outside the box.

Creativity does not come from thinking outside of the box - true creativity comes when you realize that there is no box.

This is why people that use the term "think outside the box" are flashing a giant sign saying they have no idea what creativity even is.
  • Options
    NiKrNiKr Member
    Noaani wrote: »
    Creativity does not come from thinking outside of the box - true creativity comes when you realize that there is no box.
    Holy shit I can dox Noaani now!

Here he is
    xia9zc71r7ps.gif