Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

The spells look terrible

After watching all the classes currently released i went from being a big fan to considering even playing it. Its so much unicorn puke everywhere that it reminds me of retail wow where in the end you dont even know whats happening because everything is blinking in neon colors. The world looks very beautiful and natural but the spells look terrible. No problem if a mage has some ice and fire stuff sure if it does look realistic. A ranger having every shot being neon apart from autoattacks, like a star wars laser battle. And this is just an example and all the classes look wierd.
Why do you mess this game up like that? It just looks unnatural. It really turns me off now. I thought there is a beautiful game that looks somewhat natural and then they design all the spells like cyberpunk. It just doesnt look right and doesnt fit the landscape of the world, sorry. But thats just my opinion.

Comments

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    no vfx and you end up with pax dei combat, boring and bland... even tho some boomers might enjoy that, I'm happy with the direction they are going for
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    xlxxlx Member
    edited May 24
    In my opinion the spells have to be way more nuanced. Imagine in game of thrones the red priestess has some wierd plasma shield and shoots neon stuff around her or the arrow guy from the brotherhood has his arrows glow green. Something like that could have brought down the series. But the magic is subtle and believable. If you now have a skill rotation that incorporates 20 Laser bolts and neon effects it destroys the natural beauty of the game.
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    Thank you for your unsolicited opinion! I bet you also go to kids' birthday parties and tell them that you also happen to have a birthday. <3
    I am obsessed with anything magic.

• Options
    edited May 24
    "then they design all the spells like cyberpunk. It just doesnt look right and doesnt fit the landscape of the world, sorry. But thats just my opinion."

There was a thread a while back by someone about how wrong it is for non-creatives giving their subjective opinions. Even though I welcome constructive criticism. This post by OP is a good example by someone giving their subjective opinion on visuals in a very poor non-constructive way.

VFX in Ashes fit the brand and world Intrepid built very well.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Spell effects need to be flashier lybcerjwfnpc.gif
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    SnowElf wrote: »
    Thank you for your unsolicited opinion! I bet you also go to kids' birthday parties and tell them that you also happen to have a birthday. <3

Uh… these are the official boards, its core goal is to have prospective players provide their opinion. His observations are just as valid and welcome as yours.

AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    DaggialDaggial Member
    edited May 25
    I agree with the more general sentiment that visual clutter might turn out to be a mess in the end, specially in large scale PvP scenarios.
    Monkey Business (EU) is RECRUITING
  • Options
    xlxxlx Member
    Thanks Snowelf.
    Yeah i dont want to bash the game, quite the opposite. I loved it, the game concepts, the landscape, the towns. I think it is incredible. Its just my opinion if you put so much effort into it creating such a realiscic scenery then putting neonbars and laserfire in all colors in is out of place. I dont think there shouldnt be any flashy spells just dont overdo it. Dont do it like retail wow and more like classic wow. And sure the spell tectures should also be more realistic not just perfect geometrical shapes but i think this you do anyway in future patches.
  • Options
    Yenn0warYenn0war Member
    edited May 25
    xlx wrote: »
    After watching all the classes currently released i went from being a big fan to considering even playing it. Its so much unicorn puke everywhere that it reminds me of retail wow where in the end you dont even know whats happening because everything is blinking in neon colors. The world looks very beautiful and natural but the spells look terrible. No problem if a mage has some ice and fire stuff sure if it does look realistic. A ranger having every shot being neon apart from autoattacks, like a star wars laser battle. And this is just an example and all the classes look wierd.
    Why do you mess this game up like that? It just looks unnatural. It really turns me off now. I thought there is a beautiful game that looks somewhat natural and then they design all the spells like cyberpunk. It just doesnt look right and doesnt fit the landscape of the world, sorry. But thats just my opinion.

Oh you call that flashy? How about environment?
    Have you seen Underealm? Its literally rave party. People don't like dark caves, I get it, but HOLY excrement.

How about the armor?
    Before the feedback everything is just poorly design set with a glowing eyes cop out. Some of them are still in the game.

What do you mean you don't like mustard yellow knight with skeletal hands and cartoon villain helmet?

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/wJnx26

How about we just add ice on armor and call it a day, OOooooo horns! OOooh glowing eyes.
    That could maybe pass in 80's and 90's, not today.

https://x.com/AshesofCreation/status/1394277007249317889/photo/1

They didn't bother with this one. Lets just put rock and lava texture over a player model

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/L3GdR0

...but then when you actually give them pointers they don't know how to implement it. LITERALLY use reference for your armor.
    I am sorry to say, but their concept artists and even 3D artist dont know anything about detail density, form, overdesigning and under designing things, COLOR theory and so on...
    If you put neon green with neon pink together, I am 100% sure you do not know what a hell are you doing.
    You know what set I am talking about...

Visual library is nonexistent to them unless they are designing mounts or organic material made armor. Kaelar armor is literally worst in the game, which is insane considering there is so much IRL knight references, wizards and so on.

People thing that visual things are not important at this stage of development, but that couldn't be further from the truth. If you dont fix this at its roots it could be a problem.

I DONT want to grind for a gear that is poorly designed, where every god damn biome is a scene from Barbie and the Magic of Pegasus and where spells look like fireworks.

In short, game looks cheesy compared to other MMOS in almost every aspect.

• Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

calm down with the white knighting brother, this is literally a forum made for players to share their opinions on the game tf you mean unsolicited
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited May 25
    The spells look terrible

I think they look a somewhat better though since the last Updates.

Rest easy, as what You see is still a Work in Progress - as Sir Steven mentions about every single Presentation. Can be that it will still evolve until the Release Day.
    a50whcz343yn.png
  • Options
    ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Animation clutter does suck but ashes honestly didn't seem so bad.` Many games now days are very generic and so toned down on how they play to the point they don't even use Tank and Healer builds. Some of those games get crazy compared to what ashes have shown off just cause you need some kind of gimmick to make the skills seem unique in a way so they get super flashy. and people still love to play them.

Ashes is meant for large scale PvP I can see players spamming aoes so you're gonna get an overwhelming amount of animations one way or another, even New World which has some really tame animations can get overwhelming in group PvP when one or both sides have a lot of AoE magic users
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    edited May 26
    CROW3 wrote: »

Uh… these are the official boards, its core goal is to have prospective players provide their opinion. His observations are just as valid and welcome as yours.

Fact of the matter I agree with the OP for the most part. I find the partical effects are to big, to colorful. Been MMOing since 1999 I am tired of games that want large parties fighting other large parties of players. That leave this type of clutter. These things need to be muted allot compared to the current design.

They do look awesome with one player being showcased. I think it's that way for marketing and will be toned down later. Steven has said this are no where close to this final pass on these things.
  • Options
    AbaratAbarat Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

I understand your comment... a little alarmist, since no one has actually played the game, but i get it. It may be worth considering that Intrepid has said there will be controls to mute spell effects, probably for others and your self.

A2 is the place to determine if you are correct or not. Not yet.

@xlx Do you have A2 access?
    (I am going to go ahead and predict that the answer is no.)
  • Options
    The spells look great. Magic should look and feel powerful.
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    CROW3 wrote: »

Fact of the matter I agree with the OP for the most part. I find the partical effects are to big, to colorful. Been MMOing since 1999 I am tired of games that want large parties fighting other large parties of players. That leave this type of clutter. These things need to be muted allot compared to the current design.

They do look awesome with one player being showcased. I think it's that way for marketing and will be toned down later. Steven has said this are no where close to this final pass on these things.

I agree with you for the most part. It makes sense for really big cd attacks to have some flash, but I can’t stand the hyperpewpew particle effects for just swinging a sword. With magic I want to be able to identify a spell easily - hey it’s blue must be frost - but it doesn’t need to be over the top Tokyo wipeout style.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    AvrossAvross Member
    I totally agree with the OP. I am also very excited about the game and I look forward to test its systems and complexities, but unfortunately my sense of style is much different from the art directors. I also find everything too flashy, random, overwhelming and "all over the place". From the armors and weapons to the mounts. I would also be very happy if they toned down the particle effects. I don't want to fart a rainbow every time I swing my sword. The screen pollution caused by the effects will turn the large battles into a colorful mess, without talking about the toll on the gpus.
  • Options
    oOKingOooOKingOo Member
    Its a very subjective take because to me they look great much better then in any other mmo available right now.
    For the empyre !!!
  • Options
    I think they stated there will be options for each player to set their interface and visuals to tone down spell effects (maybe even turn them off?) or ramp them up.

Certain in game cues require some effects. Others are purely cosmetic. Would hope they’d categorize them and allow you to toggle or have a slider from glorious radiant rainbow bright to none at all.

I think in that scheme the setting should consider whether a spell affects you or your target. To me that makes the most sense for game play overall.

The other factor would be large scale combat. They need a smart way to cull the unnecessary effects that are distracting to game play. If the design of a spell is to conceal or distract, that would be OK, but then you’d also need a method to disengage tab targeting. The heavy hitter spells may need to remain pumped up to provide visual clues that it’s going down. Spells that aid should be noticeable to those in group and maybe not at all by those out of group.

Some players probably would like to customize their own spell effects to match their personality. Color options, intensity or anything else might be nice to set players apart.
  • Options
    I really like the spell effects. Its not unicorn puke like asian games, I think its spot on. Maybe the effects were a tad over the top with the ranger, but still looked cool. But the mage stuff, I loved it. The effects were to the point. Same with fighter, spot on.
  • Options
    KilionKilion Member
    I agree... a bit. Auto attacks for rangers IMO need a colored indicator, because collision/taking cover is a mechanic that exist in Ashes. To hide from it, you need to know where it came from and "get gut" is not really the right argument here.
    With this game mechanic in mind I think it is clear why many ranged abilties have bright light and colorization.

Moving on to the repeatedly stated point of "ability effects are not finalized" > this one explains itself

Furthermore we have been told that there is a menu point where we can dial down the intensity of visual effects > I will definitely use this to avoid epileptic seizures

Lastly with Alpha 2 around the corner there will be huge opportunity to test out the existing features and provide in depth feedback on what exactly needs further work.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    VissoxVissox Member
    Intrepid has a bad initial approach to spell effects but it seems like they get better over time. The ranger spell effects look well tuned to me and the lightning ball looks a lot better. We just have to keep telling them what effects look like shit and they will fix them, but I do wish they would use a more "less is more" approach to begin with.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One

It's a forum that literally asks for people's opinons.
    "then they design all the spells like cyberpunk. It just doesnt look right and doesnt fit the landscape of the world, sorry. But thats just my opinion."

There was a thread a while back by someone about how wrong it is for non-creatives giving their subjective opinions. Even though I welcome constructive criticism. This post by OP is a good example by someone giving their subjective opinion on visuals in a very poor non-constructive way.

You guys need to stop insulting people who have a different perspective.

I don't agree with the OPs perspective, but his perspective is welcome.
  • Options
    XeegXeeg Member
    Meh, if i want realistic looking I will go outside and touch grass, not play a fantasy game. I'm playing video games for fun and entertainment. I'd rather it look "cool" than "real".

But visual clutter is a thing. If its so bad that you can't even really play the "game" part because you can't see anything then we need a solution.
  • Options
    patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited May 27
    Xeeg wrote: »
    Meh, if i want realistic looking I will go outside and touch grass, not play a fantasy game. I'm playing video games for fun and entertainment. I'd rather it look "cool" than "real".

But visual clutter is a thing. If its so bad that you can't even really play the "game" part because you can't see anything then we need a solution.

And the spells in this game aren't anywhere near that bad. They look powerful and unique without being visually overwhelming. It seems like a lot of the people crying just want all lightning spells to look like static electricity, fire spells to look like a lighter, and frost spells to look like a light snow flurry or a snowball made and thrown by a 7 year old lol
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The Fighters VFXs are the bar for VFXs, imo. Too much color and you get really poorly obscured visual data which makes for a diminished combat experience.

And if I'm doing the number one repeatable content in the game, I'd like to consistently enjoy it.
  • Options
    TacquitoTacquito Member
    edited May 31
    n1g5n2w4gxdj.png
  • Options
    edited May 28
    Diamaht wrote: »

Lol... Reading must not be your strong suit... OP's post is immature and does not provide constructive and respectful feedback. He gives insulting feedback to the developers, hence my comment.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    SnowElfSnowElf Member
    Diamaht wrote: »

Lol... Reading must not be your strong suit... OP's post is immature and does not provide constructive and respectful feedback. He gives insulting feedback to the developers, hence my comment.

This.

I'm all for people sharing their opinions/perspective or thoughts on a matter, but have some tact or a modicum of respect when doing so. Developers out here working hard to provide a game for the community and yea, intrepid is completely open to feedback and invites it happily, but that feedback also doesn't need to come w/ disrespect.
    I am obsessed with anything magic.