Which archetype will you play?

13»

Comments

• CiduesCidues Member
    (Followed game but my first post on forums).

I'm an "altaholic" so I will be technically trying all classes but my favorite class of all time was my EQ classic Bard, and I loved the video they showed on the Bard, so that's the class I am leaning on starting first and being my main.
  • CROW3CROW3 Member
    Ranger/Tank. Hm... I wonder if anyone has thought about renaming the "tank" archetype? >:)
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • nanfoodle wrote: »
    We still dont have all the base classes and none of sub classes. Just on my play style and my Desire to delve deep into the Bard, I will be going Bard/Bard when we get the sub classes. I played a Minstrel in DAoC so it also seems fitting lol

Probably best to get used to the phrasing this game uses, class is the combination of archetypes, so base archetype plus secondary archetype = class
  • Hinotori wrote: »
    Archwizard and falconer

Those are classes, the person asked what archetype, so the one you select on character creation
  • nanfoodle wrote: »
    We still dont have all the base classes and none of sub classes. Just on my play style and my Desire to delve deep into the Bard, I will be going Bard/Bard when we get the sub classes. I played a Minstrel in DAoC so it also seems fitting lol

Probably best to get used to the phrasing this game uses, class is the combination of archetypes, so base archetype plus secondary archetype = class

Yeah, no. Classes are classes. If some game tries to use a different definition of class then they can kick rocks. And no one else should use that language either for the simple reason that people will hear 64 classes and think there are 64 classes only to find out there 8 classes each with 8 subclasses. How do you think people are going to respond to that. Do you think the're going to be excited about a game that lead with mying to them? Or maybe there going to be on the edge of quitting and the first sign of hardship or unfairness will quit the game leave a one star review and never play the game again.
  • AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    People are going to call it 'Class' until Intrepid changes that graphic on the classes page (the one used in the OP) to not say 'Base Class' up in the corner.

And probably forevermore, but you get my point I think.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• GithalGithal Member
    nanfoodle wrote: »

Yeah, no. Classes are classes. If some game tries to use a different definition of class then they can kick rocks. And no one else should use that language either for the simple reason that people will hear 64 classes and think there are 64 classes only to find out there 8 classes each with 8 subclasses. How do you think people are going to respond to that. Do you think the're going to be excited about a game that lead with mying to them? Or maybe there going to be on the edge of quitting and the first sign of hardship or unfairness will quit the game leave a one star review and never play the game again.

I too feel like 64 classes are a lot. But I also feel like you speculating with no particular information at hand.
    I am pretty sure Steven has said that the sub class will change the main class a lot. And if its enough change to be considered new class is yet to be seen. But if we go from what we do know - The summoner class will have different summons depending on the sub class. You will get Beasts, Undead, some sub classes will have only 1 strong pet active at a time, others will have 2-3 weaker.
    So if we go from this information maybe we will get 64 true classes
  • OkamiOkami Member
    I know I’m going to come off as a spoiled brat for saying this, but I’m going to play cleric solely for the front of the queue experience for finding groups to play in. I do enjoy playing healer classes in general but for this game I really wanted to play bard or ranger. But I have two babies so any time I save on avoiding looking for a group is golden time imo.
  • CzerisCzeris Member
    This is kind of a silly question when archetypes are ~20% done, but I'll play anyway. Rogue/rogue, Rogue/Wizard, or Wizard/Rogue. Or whatever my guild needs me to play.
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter

At this point I'm not convinced they are classes. Making full 64 classes is something I have never seen in my many years of MMOing. My guess they will just flavor over what a long time MMOers like myself would call a real class. Make fun I don't care. I'm not calling subclasses, classes till Steven proves they are :)
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    We will find out after May 1st from the road map.
  • Archetype for Alpha 2? Whatever they need testing. Probably Tank at the start. Then when the Rogue comes in, probably that. Then when the Summoner comes in, probably that. Then when augments come in a bit of experimentation with everything.

Similar story for the races.

For the Betas, may wait to decide how it feels to play each class.
  • GithalGithal Member
    Okami wrote: »
    I know I’m going to come off as a spoiled brat for saying this, but I’m going to play cleric solely for the front of the queue experience for finding groups to play in. I do enjoy playing healer classes in general but for this game I really wanted to play bard or ranger. But I have two babies so any time I save on avoiding looking for a group is golden time imo.

I think Bard will be a must for every group. And even alot of the content will be doable with only Bard without Cleric. While Cleric will be needed for the harder contents But he will not exclude the Bard. But you will end up with both Cleric and Bard in 1 group.
  • edited August 22
    At full release i wouldnt mind playing a minstrel, however sorceror, bladedancer and enchanter sounds enticing. The major deciding factor will be exactly how much each sub-class changes the feel of each given class. My main goal will be to contribute to the world overall so ill be going for more of a side character/backup character and bard overall seems to fit that quality. plus every group needs someone who will be playing beats while the gang slaughters everything in their path
    Some say the goal to life is to make order of chaos, i believe we should embrace the chaos, let it nurture us into who we truly are.
  • ButkusButkus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Songcaller, enchanter, falconer or beastmaster.
  • edited August 24
    Githal wrote: »
    We still don't have all the base classes and none of sub classes. Just on my play style and my Desire to delve deep into the Bard, I will be going Bard/Bard when we get the sub classes. I played a Minstrel in DAoC so it also seems fitting lol

Yeah, no. Classes are classes. If some game tries to use a different definition of class then they can kick rocks. And no one else should use that language either for the simple reason that people will hear 64 classes and think there are 64 classes only to find out there 8 classes each with 8 subclasses. How do you think people are going to respond to that. Do you think they're going to be excited about a game that lead with lying to them? Or maybe there going to be on the edge of quitting and the first sign of hardship or unfairness will quit the game leave a one star review and never play the game again.

I too feel like 64 classes are a lot. But I also feel like you speculating with no particular information at hand.
    I am pretty sure Steven has said that the sub class will change the main class a lot. And if its enough change to be considered new class is yet to be seen. But if we go from what we do know - The summoner class will have different summons depending on the sub class. You will get Beasts, Undead, some sub classes will have only 1 strong pet active at a time, others will have 2-3 weaker.

From the Wiki Classes Page, Class section in class augments sub-section.
    the link: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Classes

"The intent behind the augment system is not to provide new active abilities. They're intended to augment existing active abilities that are provided through your primary archetype; and so your secondary archetype selection completes your class selection, of which there's 64 types and you get augment skills that can apply certain attributes and mechanics to your existing active skills." -Steven Sharif

"When you reach the class phase, which is around level 25 and you introduce that secondary archetype selection to create your one of 64 classes, then you'll have a number of augments that you'll be able to apply on a per-ability basis; and your core ability kit comes from your primary archetype selection; and those augments will change the look and feel of those abilities; and some will have the affect to create more darker thematic aspects to it. Or just generally different aesthetics to the abilities that represent the secondary [archetype] selection." -Steven Sharif

TL;DR No new skills, some augments which will change the aesthetics of some abilities. They will look different, that's it. That is not a different class, that is a sub-class.
  • DodozDodoz Member
    I'll likely fill in to whatever would suit my small group the most. Of course, no matter what that ends up being, I'll still play a Ranger like I have in every MMO beforehand, and try most of the secondary archetypes. Really curious just how rangey Ranger x Ranger will end up being. Hoping it will give a unique boost to the main archetype like increased range...
  • JaymaJayma Member
    I want a dual wield melee so probably a Fighter or Rogue.
    But Bard (a buffer is always nice in a group) and Ranger (for once they are real archer and not pet class) are very appealing too.
  • GithalGithal Member
    We still don't have all the base classes and none of sub classes. Just on my play style and my Desire to delve deep into the Bard, I will be going Bard/Bard when we get the sub classes. I played a Minstrel in DAoC so it also seems fitting lol

Yeah, no. Classes are classes. If some game tries to use a different definition of class then they can kick rocks. And no one else should use that language either for the simple reason that people will hear 64 classes and think there are 64 classes only to find out there 8 classes each with 8 subclasses. How do you think people are going to respond to that. Do you think they're going to be excited about a game that lead with lying to them? Or maybe there going to be on the edge of quitting and the first sign of hardship or unfairness will quit the game leave a one star review and never play the game again.

"The intent behind the augment system is not to provide new active abilities. They're intended to augment existing active abilities that are provided through your primary archetype; and so your secondary archetype selection completes your class selection, of which there's 64 types and you get augment skills that can apply certain attributes and mechanics to your existing active skills." -Steven Sharif

"When you reach the class phase, which is around level 25 and you introduce that secondary archetype selection to create your one of 64 classes, then you'll have a number of augments that you'll be able to apply on a per-ability basis; and your core ability kit comes from your primary archetype selection; and those augments will change the look and feel of those abilities; and some will have the affect to create more darker thematic aspects to it. Or just generally different aesthetics to the abilities that represent the secondary [archetype] selection." -Steven Sharif

TL;DR No new skills, some augments which will change the aesthetics of some abilities. They will look different, that's it. That is not a different class, that is a sub-class.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Summoner

Summoners summon different varieties of summons, depending on the class and augments they choose.[20][21]

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]
    Skeletons, zombies and other undead summons will be possible with death-based cleric augments.[15][22]
    Corpses (potentially).[21]
    Some summoners may summon multiple things.[21]
    Other summoners may only summon one powerful thing.[21]
    Certain summoners may only be able to summon effects and/or temporary energies.[21]
    Augments from a secondary archetype can be applied to a summon.[23]

This doesnt sound like just a look difference.
  • Githal wrote: »

Summoners summon different varieties of summons, depending on the class and augments they choose.[20][21]

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]
    Skeletons, zombies and other undead summons will be possible with death-based cleric augments.[15][22]
    Certain summoners may only be able to summon effects and/or temporary energies.[21]

This doesn't sound like just a look difference.

Really? Changing a model doesn't sound like only an aesthetic difference? That's weird, because it sounds exactly like only an aesthetic difference to me. Maybe work on your reading comprehension a bit.

Not to mention that is from the base class Summoner not sub-classes which is what I am talking about. On top of that the one mention of a sub-class in here which would be a Necromancer (Summoner/Cleric) uses the word "possible" not added to denote it will not CHANGE the abilities it will simply REPLACE the models.
  • GithalGithal Member

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]

Really? Changing a model doesn't sound like only an aesthetic difference? That's weird, because it sounds exactly like only an aesthetic difference to me. Maybe work on your reading comprehension a bit.

Not to mention that is from the base class Summoner not sub-classes which is what I am talking about. On top of that the one mention of a sub-class in here which would be a Necromancer (Summoner/Cleric) uses the word "possible" not added to denote it will not CHANGE the abilities it will simply REPLACE the models.

read all lines of what i posted, not just the first 3. Having 1 strong pet, or having 3 pets at the same time. OR even some wont have pets at all - but summon effects or temporary energies. Guess this is just looks also?
    And no i would expect a Bear pet to have completely different skills from a spirit pet or a skeleton pet.

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]

read all lines of what i posted, not just the first 3. Having 1 strong pet, or having 3 pets at the same time. OR even some wont have pets at all - but summon effects or temporary energies. Guess this is just looks also?
    And no i would expect a Bear pet to have completely different skills from a spirit pet or a skeleton pet.

Read all lines of my response.

That is a base class which is not what I'm talking about.

the one mention of a sub-class in here which would be a Necromancer (Summoner/Cleric) uses the word "possible" not added to denote it will not CHANGE the abilities it will simply REPLACE the models.

Please read my actual post and don't just look at a few words get triggered and vomit more pointless shit.
  • GithalGithal Member
    edited August 25

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]

the one mention of a sub-class in here which would be a Necromancer (Summoner/Cleric) uses the word "possible" not added to denote it will not CHANGE the abilities it will simply REPLACE the models.

Please read my actual post and don't just look at a few words get triggered and vomit more pointless shit.

"Possible" has the meaning of - has a chance to happen. Not that it will just change visuals. Also even in the Fighter preview it was confirmed that augments change skills, like the charge may become blink and ect

And no.. Charge and blink are not just visually different

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]

"Possible" has the meaning of - has a chance to happen. Not that it will just change visuals. Also even in the Fighter preview it was confirmed that augments change skills, like the charge may become blink and ect

Yes changing a blink to a charge COULD warrant a change. They could also keep the same restrictions the charge had before, (e.g. You still need a clear path to the target.)

I'm not sure why you're arguing over this. Or did you not read the part where I quoted Steven saying specifically "those augments will change the look and feel of those abilities; and some will have the affect to create more darker thematic aspects to it. Or just generally different aesthetics to the abilities that represent the secondary [archetype] selection."
  • AiyaraAiyara Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    If Cleric is revised and made more fun shadow disciple.
    If not Soul Weaver it is
  • GithalGithal Member

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]

Yes changing a blink to a charge COULD warrant a change. They could also keep the same restrictions the charge had before, (e.g. You still need a clear path to the target.)

I'm not sure why you're arguing over this. Or did you not read the part where I quoted Steven saying specifically "those augments will change the look and feel of those abilities; and some will have the affect to create more darker thematic aspects to it. Or just generally different aesthetics to the abilities that represent the secondary [archetype] selection."

Well tbh i have high expectations about the augments...Even tho i will probably just get disappointed coz of this...

This is because we know about the augments for several years. With Steven talking about them more than 2 years ago. And we still havent seen a single augment (just heard some words about them). and we wont see any info until May 2025.
    This makes me think that the augments system is actually something REALLY BIG. Like if it was just changing dmg type from fire to ice, or charge to blink and ect, then it wouldnt take much time to make, and we would have already seen multiple augmented classes.

Animals.[21]
    Spirits.[21][22]

Well tbh i have high expectations about the augments...Even tho i will probably just get disappointed coz of this...

This is because we know about the augments for several years. With Steven talking about them more than 2 years ago. And we still haven't seen a single augment (just heard some words about them). and we wont see any info until May 2025.
    This makes me think that the augments system is actually something REALLY BIG. Like if it was just changing dmg type from fire to ice, or charge to blink and ect, then it wouldn't take much time to make, and we would have already seen multiple augmented classes.

That's the thing you don't have to be disappointed. Simply let them know this is not okay and something needs to change.
  • Potentially hot take, but I hope they don't go for the 64 class system and take a different route. If they go through with this system, it will definitely hurt the expandability of the class system a lot in the long run (when a new class releases, every other class has to get new augments and it will be an impossible task for devs the longer the game runs) and I honestly don't think the augments are going to be as meaningful as people want them to be, judging from the examples we got so far.

That being said, definitely going to play a rogue once that releases, but for the time being going to try out everything :)

At the end of the day, it's night.
  • GithalGithal Member
    BRAD_AoC wrote: »
    Potentially hot take, but I hope they don't go for the 64 class system and take a different route. If they go through with this system, it will definitely hurt the expandability of the class system a lot in the long run (when a new class releases, every other class has to get new augments and it will be an impossible task for devs the longer the game runs) and I honestly don't think the augments are going to be as meaningful as people want them to be, judging from the examples we got so far.

That being said, definitely going to play a rogue once that releases, but for the time being going to try out everything :)

tbh if the 64 classes are true classes each with its own identity, Then adding new class wont be needed, at least for the first 2-3 years. And after even 1 new class will add a lot sub classes options.