Free to play for 3- or 5-days every so often

2»

Comments

• DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited August 14
    It's $15 dollars for an entire month, with no box price, plenty of time to test things out. I spent almost twice that seeing Deadpool last week. I spent more than that at Taco Bell the other day.
  • DisobedientDisobedient Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited September 5
    I disagree. There is no problem to address, you are just asking to add extra work.

So, to have people play for free, Intrepid has to pay for the extra programming to lock down the system so botters cannot take advantage of the exception. And pay to monitor the servers. And try to make sure that the paying people are not impacted by the people who don't care (because you know idiots who are banned are going to play the free accounts just to troll). And possibly lose paying customers when the experience is horrible since the people who don't care destroy the experience.

Just pay the $15. If they like it, their adventure has begun! If they don't, just cancel.

That's a fair argument if that's really what would happen. I could see it being a problem if that was the case. The only thing is, I don't know enough to say whether that would happen or not (plus I don't think the vast majority of free players would play just to troll, nor do I believe the vast majority want to "destroy the experience"). I think these are the loud minority, when the data (like most other things in the world) would suggest the majority think and act in a different way. This is just my assumption.

Assuming that doesn't end up happening, allowing a free launch for all players for literally 3-5 days, would bring in EXPONENTIALLY more revenue from subs (if the servers hold properly and the experience is as intended), than if they gate the first 3-5 days behind a $15 paywall. It's way different playing something than watching it. Trying to have gamers live the experience vicariously through a streamer will not equate to the same number of subs, guaranteed.
  • Ayeveegaming1Ayeveegaming1 Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    No, its an invite to gold spammers and other unwanted shenanigans
    vmw4o7x2etm1.png
  • scottstone7scottstone7 Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Even better just make a Server that only free trial players can play on, but once that trials is up they have to pay a subscription fee and remake their character on a subscription server and the stuff they had in the trial server is lost, but they get the basic gear from that level and starting gold for that level. Honestly might be better just to boost that character they make to 10 regardless what level they were on trial server, because every MMO I've ever played 1-10 is always the tutorial phase

This way ^ bots cant bother actual subscription players and they wont be able to transfer anything, because its a new character.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just my two cents on how I would approach this.

I'm completely against anything that lets bots or gold sellers get their foot in the door. As unpractical as the separate server would be for dev cost wise, I do agree that if some sort of free to play trial period is set up then restricting it to it's own private server would in my opinion be the best way. That would help curb the bots and gold sellers getting easy access to main servers as well as help to reduce people joining in for a short time locking down a character name then buggering off never to be seen again. At least then the trial servers could be wiped every time a trial period ends.
  • ApokApok Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Even better just make a Server that only free trial players can play on, but once that trials is up they have to pay a subscription fee and remake their character on a subscription server and the stuff they had in the trial server is lost, but they get the basic gear from that level and starting gold for that level. Honestly might be better just to boost that character they make to 10 regardless what level they were on trial server, because every MMO I've ever played 1-10 is always the tutorial phase

This way ^ bots cant bother actual subscription players and they wont be able to transfer anything, because its a new character.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just my two cents on how I would approach this.

I'm completely against anything that lets bots or gold sellers get their foot in the door. As unpractical as the separate server would be for dev cost wise, I do agree that if some sort of free to play trial period is set up then restricting it to it's own private server would in my opinion be the best way. That would help curb the bots and gold sellers getting easy access to main servers as well as help to reduce people joining in for a short time locking down a character name then buggering off never to be seen again. At least then the trial servers could be wiped every time a trial period ends.

Came here to say the same thing, more trolls as well in anything that's free compared to games with subs