Summoner wishlist

What are some ideas for summoner you wish to see?

I remember from other mmo summoner was unique with not just playing as your character but also micromanaging your "pet". It was hard to play but those who trained were then able to solo some bosses that other classes couldn't solo. That's what I'd like to see.

Comments

• VosphaVospha Member, Alpha Two
    Personally I would like to tame creatures or breed creatures to use at summons and hopefully they have seperate levelling than the player, I think levelling different summons from level 1 or capturing different levels and tiers of creatures will be super cool!

I know secondary augements will change what you can summon so this might not be possible, unless that add this as an additional option kinda thing.
    zdtha4wxk248.gif
  • ClonageClonage Member, Alpha Two
    edited August 1
    Specific roles for summons(Tank/DPS/Support).
    Summons should have different visuals to represent different power levels. If we allocate skill points into a specific summon that grants them new skills or improved stats/effects, they should become visually different(Evolved?).
    Grant an unique party buff or debuff depending on the current summon being used.(no other class can grant the unique buff/debuff)
    Unique Mechanics not present in other classes, also dependent on the current summon being used Ex: Offensive Buff Removal, Fear, Conditional CC Protection/Accuracy

Temporary Fusions. Fuse 2 different summons OR fuse the summons essence into the Caster, sacrificing it, for extra effects and/or empowered skills.
  • SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    My first wish-list is the teams take on Summoner from what they stated in the past and they avoid Demonology Warlock, GW/GW2 Necro, and Spiritmaster from Aion as any sort of inspiration at all costs.

My second wish is they look at things like Diablo Druid, the new Spiritborn class from D4; GW2 Ranger Druid, Elementalist and Engineer ability implementation, Mesmer, (1+2) etc in ability and summon implementation.

Wardens animal spirit theme and Necromancers undead theme from ESO are much more appropriate and better attempts at what a summoner is than a lot of summoner types.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member, Alpha Two
    Immortui wrote: »
    Summoner wishlist

What are some ideas for summoner you wish to see ?

Siege* Summons.

" In general " Summons that may require several Summoners or single Summoners to work together with someone else. You know, just the cool Stuff. ;)

Of Course a Summoner-Showcase in the first Place. It is the Class i want to play after all. But i actually want to see more than what the Summoner can do Solo. I also wish to see right away what he can do, when he combines his Powers with those of other Summoners.

Siege Summons are a great Opportunity for this Game. I mean Yes, People can "craft" Siege Vehicles and Stuff anyway : but why not including Summoners ? They LITERALLY summon Stuff from another Plane and Realm. :sunglasses:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • HalaeHalae Member, Alpha Two
    edited August 1
    My dream for Summoner is to go full Pokemon Master on it. Not with capturing pets, that's the animal husbandry system (which I'll be taking part in as well, but it's not the relevant bit here) but in terms of how it plays out mid-combat.

This particular idea is that your pet character is the one doing most of the work. When you take an action, the pet is the one that performs it. This can still absolutely cost you mana to do, that's reasonable, but for most actions the pet should be the one acting, with you directing it on how, including moving them out of AoEs, choosing when to use interrupt skills, and so on. Commands should be snappy and responsive, but powerful; most of the summoner's effectiveness needs to come from commands, to suit the class fantasy.

The other thing that needs to happen is customizing your pet. This kind of class fantasy requires it, because the core conceit of your character revolves around the concept of your pet being yours, personally. Mind, if the animal husbandry system is all it's cracked up to be, reusing it for the summoner's pet customization will be a no-brainer, but it still needs to be said, though that's just appearance customization. Stat customization should also be a priority, to allow you to fill specific roles better or optimize for things.
  • SunboySunboy Member
    Anti magic fields. The thing about summons and conjuration is that it’s not affected by spell resistance since it’s not just created magic. It’s a living being or a force of nature that penetrates that pesky anti magic shit.
  • SnowElfSnowElf Member, Alpha Two
    Always wanted the summoner to be able to turn into a summon as a part of a rotation, for a very brief period of time. Imagine being able to turn into Shiva or Ifrit. The concept just sounds insanely OP tho lol.

You can make some pretty sick summons from the sprites Intrepid has created WHICH JUST REMINDED ME that we're entering Alpha 2 in October and Steven and the gang are big fans of the Halloween :D!!
    Headless Horseman's mount as a summon confirmed.

Kidding. All jokes aside,

I just hope the summons are sick and creative. Hybrid summoners will have some unique stuff I'd wager, depending on what other archetype they pair themselves with.

Who knows, maybe even Summoners abilities could be tied to the realm of Verra.
    Maybe you're near a body of water and your summon changes element, or it's powers are enhanced because of being near water instead.

One thing that I hope Intrepid also nail with the summoner is the armor. They did the Bard showcase very well and that armor looks perfect. Each showcase gives us a flavor of a new armor that is I guess you could say, representative of the archetype, no?

I wonder what people associate summoners to wear.
    Golden anklets and bracers? Whispy/flowy robes?

But no.. as a Necromancer.. they would be much darker... The grim reaper of armors! :O!!!

• DELORINDELORIN Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    Vospha wrote: »
    Personally I would like to tame creatures or breed creatures to use at summons and hopefully they have seperate levelling than the player, I think levelling different summons from level 1 or capturing different levels and tiers of creatures will be super cool!

I know secondary augements will change what you can summon so this might not be possible, unless that add this as an additional option kinda thing.

I also have a similar idea as that one you have.

The summon will have a leveling system similar to the players. So with this in mind, we cant just let the "PLAYER" and "SUMMON" get the same experience points compared to non summoner class. The experience gain from killing mobs will be split into two. e.g. 100 experience will be split to 50 exp to player and 50 to the summon. These handicap will help balance the class a bit more as it would require people to invest twice as much time as a normal class.

In addition to that, the concept to having multiple summons up at the same time would be neat to have. Initially if you only have one summon up, it will only use up a little bit of mana (E.g. 1 mana per second) but as you summon a 2nd one, your mana will start to deplete more (Changing from 1 mana per second to maybe 10 mana per second). The more you summon the more mana it takes to keep them up. Possibly also have higher mana per second for higher level summons.

As the "SUMMON" levels up, a little bit of "PLAYER" stats will be shared with the summon. The higher their level the higher the stats they will share.
  • Halae wrote: »
    My dream for Summoner is to go full Pokemon Master on it. Not with capturing pets, that's the animal husbandry system (which I'll be taking part in as well, but it's not the relevant bit here) but in terms of how it plays out mid-combat.

This particular idea is that your pet character is the one doing most of the work. When you take an action, the pet is the one that performs it. This can still absolutely cost you mana to do, that's reasonable, but for most actions the pet should be the one acting, with you directing it on how, including moving them out of AoEs, choosing when to use interrupt skills, and so on. Commands should be snappy and responsive, but powerful; most of the summoner's effectiveness needs to come from commands, to suit the class fantasy.

The other thing that needs to happen is customizing your pet. This kind of class fantasy requires it, because the core conceit of your character revolves around the concept of your pet being yours, personally. Mind, if the animal husbandry system is all it's cracked up to be, reusing it for the summoner's pet customization will be a no-brainer, but it still needs to be said, though that's just appearance customization. Stat customization should also be a priority, to allow you to fill specific roles better or optimize for things.

Pokemon like - yes, I want to see my pet doing the stuff but I'd also like to see myself being as sort of a mage having my own spells too. Not fully depending just on my pet.
    When it comes to for example moving my summon out of enemy aoe, Id like to see maybe some "strategy" tab that tells my summon what to do in certain situaton. For example "when slow is applied run towards the summoner" as a "retreat strategy" for example. This I don't see as being a macro in the sense "In case of being slowed use this and that spell to heal and cleanse..."

Also I'm interested how do you feel about you being attached to your summon that for example when your summon dies you also take some hit, or get some effect. Similarly to you being buffed gives the buff also to your summon. In my childhood mmo 4story there was buff that would split the dmg taken by your summon between him and yourself, making your summon more tanky. Id love to see some kind of connection like that in AoC.
  • SnowElf wrote: »
    Always wanted the summoner to be able to turn into a summon as a part of a rotation, for a very brief period of time. Imagine being able to turn into Shiva or Ifrit. The concept just sounds insanely OP tho lol.

You can make some pretty sick summons from the sprites Intrepid has created WHICH JUST REMINDED ME that we're entering Alpha 2 in October and Steven and the gang are big fans of the Halloween :D!!

I just hope the summons are sick and creative. Hybrid summoners will have some unique stuff I'd wager, depending on what other archetype they pair themselves with.

Who knows, maybe even Summoners abilities could be tied to the realm of Verra.
    Maybe you're near a body of water and your summon changes element, or it's powers are enhanced because of being near water instead.

One thing that I hope Intrepid also nail with the summoner is the armor. They did the Bard showcase very well and that armor looks perfect. Each showcase gives us a flavor of a new armor that is I guess you could say, representative of the archetype, no?

I wonder what people associate summoners to wear.
    Golden anklets and bracers? Whispy/flowy robes?

But no.. as a Necromancer.. they would be much darker... The grim reaper of armors! :O!!!

When it comes to armor, I believe they said any class can wear any armor same as weapons, correct me if Im wrong. So far I liked all the sets they have shown. Also looking at all the primary summoner classes gives me multiple different flavours of summoner and the armor should be flavoured as well. If I played Enchanter I wanna look a certain way versus if I play Beastmaster of Shadowmancer I want to look a different way.
    I really hope there is way to customize the armor, dying it and upgrading it. I remember them showing upgrading a weapon and it looked pretty good for Alpha game. I hope we see more of upgrading armor too.
    Also I'm interested how do you feel about you being attached to your summon that for example when your summon dies you also take some hit, or get some effect. Similarly to you being buffed gives the buff also to your summon. In my childhood mmo 4story there was buff that would split the dmg taken by your summon between him and yourself, making your summon more tanky. Id love to see some kind of connection like that in AoC.
    Oh, this is actually quite simple; I want the summoner to be able to split some of its damage onto its summoned critter, making the summoner much more likely to survive AoEs and just be tanky in general, but if the summon dies they are the squishiest class in the game. That way, if you're incautious about how much damage your pet is taking, you'll suddenly be in an extremely vulnerable position while waiting for your resummoning ritual.
    When it comes to armor, I believe they said any class can wear any armor same as weapons, correct me if Im wrong.
    This is correct, for the record. While standard armors will have the 'normal' varieties of stat types on the gear (such as tanking stats on full plate), any craftsman will be able to adjust the equipment they design to have different stats and different cosmetic effects on the gear in question. Thus, it'll be possible to wear something like a robe with constitution as its primary stat, or full plate with intelligence.
    SnowElf wrote: »

Siege* Summon. ;)

Let the Summoner participate into a Summoning-Ritual with like +7 other Summoners or so. The very One Summoner who started the Ritual, becomes the Summon/gains Control over the Summon.

Let there be Havoc. Let there be Chaos and Terror. As a mighty Siege-Golem, Bone-Golem, Earth/Mud/Flesh/Stone/"Spirit(?)"-whatever Golem hammers against a Cities Walls,

causing small, Earthquake-like Tremors upon the Guards Walkway ontop of the Wall - making Movement for all Enemy Players up there a bit slippery and more difficult. ;)

If we want to balance/weaken such a thing,

while not making it so that the Summoner who controls the Siege Summon -> is left vulnerable with the Body being slumped down or lying down defenseless ? Meaning his Allies need to protect him/her - or grab/carry the Summoner concerned and carry him or her to Safety. ;)

But if the true Body of the Summoner is to far away, the Connection cuts off and the Siege Summon immediately shatters and falls apart. :mrgreen: . >:) so You can not play it "to safe". ;)

As lovely as this sounds, even as a Joke,

i don't think October as Start of Alpha Two would be a good Time-Window for a Halloween Event. ;) Will the Start not include lots of Connection Issues and Crashs ? :mrgreen:

I just hope the summons are sick and creative.

Summoners will be able to have Three Summons, Battle-Pets not included - right ?

I hope we will be able to control them like a Warcraft III Unit for Roleplay - or maybe even for Battle if we can.

Because when i imagine myself to be on a Freehold - and i have like Two Zombis and a Skelly-Bro as my Summons, being the adorable Necromancer-Edgelord i hope to be,

i would love to station them somewhere, where they would make Sense as in looking like they are "undead Staff" of the Freehold, caring for it - with the other NPC's who i hope i can ALSO MAKE into Undead Staff for RP-Purposes/Ambience /Atmosphere, you name it. ;)

I just hope dear Intrepid listens to all People like me who wish for the Option of that as a Feature. After all, the new Engine of the Game is flexible - and even Games like Warcraft III over Twenty Years ago got it done. :smile:

" I didn't choose the Edgelord-Life ... ... ... ... ... the Edgelord-Life chose me ! "

pd461ng9txly.jpg

Obviously i am kidding with this for a bit - but Yes i bet many Necromancer-Players will look for Outfits and Armors that reflect their edgy, necrotic Profession and Nature a little bit.

But as Information continues to stay scarce - we don't even know what exactly Players will be able to get ingame. Hopefully lots of Recolors of many if not all Pre-Order Cosmetic-Sets -> and hopefully we will be able to farm Sets everywhere from Lawfully Good to Chaotic Evil-looking. ;)

Part of me still hopes for a Future King Atrax/Undead Expansion of Ashes of Creation. :mrgreen:
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member, Alpha Two
    Summoner+Fighter should summon weapons and fling/hurl them at opponents and do physical dmg instead of magical :P
  • Veeshan wrote: »
    Summoner+Fighter should summon weapons and fling/hurl them at opponents and do physical dmg instead of magical :P

omg do you know fairytail manga by chance? :smiley:
    Erza being able to swap any armor and summon any weapon. Your comment really reminded me of her, wow. :smiley:

Yeah I never really played rogue but after seeing bard preview how spellbook looked, my mind wondered about rogue having floating daggers and sending them for some special ranged attacks as well, now your comment about it being summoners work :smiley: I'd love to see it
  • balr0gbalr0g Member, Intrepid Pack, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    I've been toying with summoner types and researching them for years while writing a book series and I settled on 5/6 main paths with many divergent options the further into a path tree one goes. These are as follows:

Dark (aligned to gods, deities, etc of a decidedly Dark nature). Dark does not mean evil, though it can. These primarily focus on summons like the following:
    1. Demons and hellspawn
    2. Shadow
    3. Night creatures (wears, etc.)

Light (opposite of the above description)
    1. Angels & Nephillim
    2. Light aligned creatures

Neutral paths include Nature, Elemental, and Spiritual. These types of summoners can summon:
    2. Elementals
    3. Spirits (ghosts, phantoms, etc.)
    4. Animals

Inanimate Summons (Perhaps some variant of wizard)
    1. Offensive Weapons
    2. Defense/Shields
    3. Utilities (healing, crafting, etc.)

I also like the idea of having a fae path somewhere, but that can be aligned to any of thse above. I also like the idea of contracts vs bindings. If the summons are Light-aligned its based on mutual agreement and there should be some quest line and/or reputation gained to achieve contracts and then these summons will only participate in battles aligned to their objectives. For Dark-aligned these would be bindings that require strength over mutual agreement and entirely predicated on the summoner being stronger than the summons.

Neutral-aligned would be based entirely on player progression and gaining more summons as the player progresses and accomplishes more tasks (no contract and no binding, just skills)

Skills/mechanics would be similar to if not inherited from the chosen summoner path.

For instance:
    1. Elemental - a mutli-toered path going down any Elemental path, but not a true elementalist because your power is augmented by the summons
    2. Nature - would be natural skills like a druid (healer, trapper, think grasping roots)
    3. Spirit - attacks against the spirit, perhaps mana draining, spirit shock, etc.
    4. Light/Dark - I think these would be most obvious given we have so many archetypes like this in other games.

No matter the path chosen though they would never be more powerful than say a straight elementalist/mage, paladin, priest, druid, etc because the summons would be designed to bridge the gap in power.
  • EndowedEndowed Member, Alpha One, Alpha Two, Early Alpha Two
    The ability to be the "off tank", via pets.
    Endowed wrote: »
    The ability to be the "off tank", via pets.
    I actually specifically put together a list of traits that Brood Warden (Summoner/Tank) is going to need to be capable of to fulfill the tanking role. Ahem
    Should be possible for all tank characters. If they are not, fix until capable of all of the above, or no longer attempting to fill tank role.

NOTE: Precision requirements are specifically for high-end content, and may not be required for generalized content.
    1. Responsive repositioning to avoid AoEs or manage mechanics
    2. Aggro swap on precise timing
    3. Defensive utility skills on precise timing
    4. Interruption or control effects on precise timing
    5. Responsive ability to manage any debuffs they can apply
    6. Ability to survive tankbusters
    7. Check their time-to-death when playing well but unsupported by a healer
    8. Ability to reposition the boss intuitively and on precise timing
    9. Ability to collect aggro from Adds without exposing party members to undue danger
    10. Self-healing in line with other tank role characters
    11. Sensible gear requirements that do not add great deals of overhead management
    12. Ability to maintain aggro in enemy groups

As an off-tank rather than a main tank, I could see Brood Warden missing a few of these, especially the ones that are focused on repositioning, but to be effective at its stated role, Brood Warden has to satisfy at least most of these.
  • Summoner should be the dedicated damage sustain class, through dots, pets, and debuffs at least in my mind.

They should have the ability to summon swarms of creatures to harry their foes (locust swarm an aoe dot)
    Summon utility items like anvils or basic objects required in crafting or gathering.
    As far as debuffs are concerned these should debilitate the target to make it more easily for their pets and party members to deal with them. Be it increasing damage taken, reducing movement speed, slowing action speed, etc.

To go more specific and personal, I really, really hope that the Summoner/rogue combination uses shadows as their summons. conjuring a swarm of shadows to engulf their foes, turning the targets own shadow against them, switching locations with the target via shadow teleportation, Have their damage break of shards of shadow that can be gathered to empower their main summon a shade monster.

Probably too extreme and wouldnt be what these augments from the secondary will be able to do, but ill just keep day dreaming until it gets shattered.
    8vf24h7y7lio.jpg
    Commissioned at https://fiverr.com/ravenjuu
  • willsummonwillsummon Member, Alpha Two
    edited August 2
    A pet point system similar to the Necromancer from Age of Conan, allowing for many pet combinations, or no pets while a powerful caster.

With the instrument and other selections shown with the Bard, I am even more interested in what the Summoner will be like.
    What are some ideas for summoner you wish to see ?

I wish to have " ABSOLUTE free Control " - over every single One of my Summons - > " if " i so choose to.

Like as if i would control and command a Unit in a Game like Warcraft III. Or Starcraft. Or any other Game where i can place, order - and command any kind of Unit to go and stand exactly where i want.

I don't wish this simply for Gameplay and Combat - > but for Roleplay-Purposes as well. ESPECIALLY, for Roleplay. ;)

Plus when a Summoner owns a Freehold - > that we can decide and choose, that "Summons" like for Example Undead i can have as a Summoner+Cleric-Build. (Necromancer)

You know what is funny and kinda ironic ?
    I have this Wish of mine inside of me since around September 2023, since my Hype for Ashes of Creation was awakened anew.

And what do i see this last Live-Stream ?
    WHAT WAS PRESENTED to me ??? :D hahahahahah. :D

" Undead (former) Farmers, who care for their Fields. " :D

Fate and Life sure have a strong Sense of Humor. Intrepid has no Idea how much they teased me with this. :D
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    willsummon wrote: »
    or no pets while a powerful caster.
    Now that one I'm expecting is just not in the cards.

I remember back in the City of Heroes days, there was the Mastermind class, which had six pets that it was less of a controlling factor and more like a manager to. One of the zaniest optimization challenges for CoH was making a mastermind that used fewer pets than the standard six. Or, even weirder, none at all.

This was, obviously, not intended. It's possible to not involve pets in your petmaster class, but empirical evidence shows that, unless the pet already doesn't matter to your output (like the ranger in guild wars 2) then it's going to totally and completely cripple your output, denying yourself options, effectiveness, and generally getting people to distrust that you're capable of performing, which makes grouping far harder.

I just don't think Intrepid's going to allow for a no-pet summoner.
  • willsummonwillsummon Member, Alpha Two
    Halae wrote: »
    Now that one I'm expecting is just not in the cards.

I remember back in the City of Heroes days, there was the Mastermind class, which had six pets that it was less of a controlling factor and more like a manager to. One of the zaniest optimization challenges for CoH was making a mastermind that used fewer pets than the standard six. Or, even weirder, none at all.

This was, obviously, not intended. It's possible to not involve pets in your petmaster class, but empirical evidence shows that, unless the pet already doesn't matter to your output (like the ranger in guild wars 2) then it's going to totally and completely cripple your output, denying yourself options, effectiveness, and generally getting people to distrust that you're capable of performing, which makes grouping far harder.

There are many ways to approach a pet class.

I found the Necromancer in Age of Conan, with its pet point system to be the most flexible.

We do know that Intrepid would like to offer each Archetype two or more way in how to play said Archetype.

Also, from personal experience, there are raid situations and PVP situations where pets are more of a hinderance than a benefit.

My suggestion offers an option that keeps the Summoner viable in those situations.
  • VeeshanVeeshan Member, Alpha Two
    Veeshan wrote: »

omg do you know fairytail manga by chance? :smiley:
    Erza being able to swap any armor and summon any weapon. Your comment really reminded me of her, wow. :smiley:

Yeah I never really played rogue but after seeing bard preview how spellbook looked, my mind wondered about rogue having floating daggers and sending them for some special ranged attacks as well, now your comment about it being summoners work :smiley: I'd love to see it

I have seen, it but i had more irelia from league when making the comment :P close/mid range fighter using summon (well floating blades)

• Sathrago wrote: »
    Summoner should be the dedicated damage sustain class, through dots, pets, and debuffs at least in my mind.

Probably too extreme and wouldnt be what these augments from the secondary will be able to do, but ill just keep day dreaming until it gets shattered.

same, day dreaming about secondary augments :smiley: but good points
  • Halae wrote: »

I hope that's the case. I wish summoner himself will have spells, but to be viable he need to use summons, that's the whole point of the class.
  • willsummon wrote: »
    Halae wrote: »

Also, from personal experience, there are raid situations and PVP situations where pets are more of a hinderance than a benefit.

My suggestion offers an option that keeps the Summoner viable in those situations.

I think in some cases summoner has to be more careful than other classes because his pet could make it more difficult to navigate some dungeons for example because it will accidentaly aggro some mobs. That said, I think that's why summoner is usually a harder class to play, because you have to manage your character and your pet as well, but if you train and master that class it should be rewarding making you potentionally stronger in PvE scenarios, where your pet can tank the dungeon.
  • i'm tored between the summoner that summons hords of summons or the one that has a one big summon but that would be a build thing hopefully. don't wanna see just a generic necromancer. maybe more or a cultist drawing circles and runes maybe to summon his creatures but it could be ambigues so it depends from the gear they have

some suggested summoner abilitys:

version 1) aoe spell where summoner summons a swarm over the area and those sirit wisp's or some other creature attaches on to people/creaures and hurt them and you need to attack them specifically other wise they will debuff don't disappear. the spirits could also siphon away heals that the person receives or some buff's onto him self and ofcorse hurting the person a bit. if you over kill with the damage on the spirit wisp the person receives the damage.

and on friendly's its in revers it takes some damages maybe or just takes debufs from people and killing it self while giving alight regen for the person.

version 2) there could be a version of this like an aura or a field droped on the ground that who ever enters it gets the spirit attacked too, whatever only while they in the field or get targeted by one and attacked out side of it but that could ear lots of cpu power.

i guess summoner could have something like that all his buffs work in simulacra way but it would eat lors of cpu. also maybe having number of more powerful summons that they could attach to people and direct there buffs heals more directly you can imagine them standing near a tank as an off tank or a healer and supplying extra help with what ever they are doing or just use summons as an squad of monster to send out as just a dps.

it would be cool if summons stey after summoner dies and continuing there task's as if discurage just rushing summoner down (oh lets kill him and everything just dispersal) maybe summoner would control his pets more directly after his deaths with possibility of resurrect if his pets finish the battle in victory with like a minit long spell, tbh don't wanna see obviously unlikable summoner where he hides one pet and revives constantly.

I also saw someone mentioning Gw spiritualist or gw2 necromancer scourge speck doping his spirits/sand shede it would be cool if summoner could summon several of those spirits like turrets or buffer debuffer. What ever they are on timer or on health.

Siege summons: after one or group preps it summoner or other person gets controll of the beast what ever version it is it could probably work as siege engines from castle battle in alpha one just a beast. it could use some materials or have a big cool down or decay.

i would hope that when you make summoner you could customise your summon but that may be too much for just one class to have entire new customisation system in char creator.

maybe pets exploding on death or on purpose where hp = dmg maybe
  • iccericcer Member
    edited September 10
    Personally, I never played these classes for the summons (weird huh).

I always just wanted to play a mage-like class, but not a mage, so I'd pick Warlock, Summoner, Necromancer, or something along those lines.

A Warlock, Necromancer, or whatever other name games use, focusing on dark magic, curses, death, blood magic, DoTs, suppression, etc. while able to sustain itself easily. If they don't want this class to be like that, then please make a new archetype, ty.

Sure, I'd like if we could maybe use some creatures as pets, maybe after we defeat them, we're able to resurrect them as our pet, or something similar.

• LodrigLodrig Member
    edited September 10
    I've been saying for a while now that Summoners need an archetypal resource system (like Momentum and Courage) to manage summoned minion counts AND any buffs or orders they give to them.
    • With no summons you have 100 'Willpower' or what ever it is called.
    • Each summoning consumes some of this willpower while the summon is allive and frees it up when it dies or is dispelled.
    • Current willpower level gives a bonus to summoning speed so getting that first summon up when a battle starts is fast and it then slows down.
    • Their are several types of summons available, a Tanky one, a DPS one, a ranged one, and a cheap generic one at minimum. The actual theme may change based on secondary archetype and abilities, damage types etc may change but the pattern remain.
    • Each summon type consumes a different base amount of Willpower, but this can be modified by skills in the Summoner skill tree.
    • For each summon type their is a skill to cheapen its cost, boost its power while raising cost and to add special procs or abilities the summon will use automatically.
    • As with all skill trees you cant get everything so specializing what your summon can do is required
    • In battle you have flexibility as to what summons to summon and how many commands to give. 2 Tanky minnions might be better in one situation, while 5 cheap generics might be better at other times
    • Commands are the 'support spells' of the Summoner and are Willpower consuming perment until dispelled AoE's or flags placed on the ground that cause all nearby summons to follow the command, think of these as basic attack and defence RTS orders, they work without needing to select individual summons and don't care about the number of summons.
    • Commands may also buff the summons that are obeying them, these buffs are gained with passive nodes on the skill tree and allow a summoner to specialize as a 'general' who puts more time into directing summons vs just letting the AI attack as it wishes.
    • Commands are optional playstyle and can pair equally well with a small number of strong summons or a large number of weak ones.
    • Forgoing Commands means more willpower available for Summons to balance the lack of coordination and buffing. Again this is a battle to battle and even moment to moment choice the summoner must make.
  • Note that Summoner primary characters would get all of that flexibility of multiple summons. But asecondary archetype summoner is probably gonna give 1 'pet' type minion with limited control options, generally just atuto attack your current target or the last thing you hit with a specific ability.