Vampirism and Lycanthropy

One of the cooler parts of ESO to me is Vampirism and Lycanthropy being available to and transferable between players.
and while it's not a very in depth system it adds a lot to the roleplay, fantasy and world feel of the game.

I would like to see this in ashes as well. obviously it would have to be it's own version but it could certainly augment a lot of things in cool ways.
now I don't expect this at release, but as part of an expansion I think it would be great.

with the Vek being so tied to the stars and the sky they would be an excellent tie in to various forms of lycanthropy.
and with the Tulnar having been an underground race for quite some time vampirism could originate from there.

or if there are gates to other realities than Sanctus or something akin to a gate to other worlds, then any number of things could come to Verra.

Comments

• bloodprophetbloodprophet Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Asked and answered with a no, not at this time years ago.

But I do agree.
    Most people never listen. They are just waiting on you to quit making noise so they can.
  • George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited September 10
    Nothing more silly than lizards and cats transforming to bats and wolves.
    The whole of elden scrolls could have kept those to a specific race.
  • AszkalonAszkalon Member
    edited September 10
    Kyskei wrote: »
    Vampirism and Lycanthropy

One of the cooler parts of ESO to me is Vampirism and Lycanthropy being available to and transferable between players.

I love this the same as You Kyskei, but here me out ... ...

" Expansions " - (probably).

Aside from that we get a veeeeeeeeeeeeeery flexible Race in Terms of Looks with the Tulnar - > i think things like Vampirism or Lycanthropy should be a thing for Future Expansions.

Maybe ! - > even with the Lore of the "Gods" being in the Mood to create something "new", later on in the Story/Plot of the Game.

( Aside from the Fact that We the Player ourselves are the Plot, kinda to fully. :D )

Lastly i am already happy, should this Game come out before 2030. Right now i don't want to say things like frustrated or depressed,

but right now these Days i have a Feeling that this Game has the worst Labor Pains since Duke Nukem Forever.

I doubt that dear Sir Steven and his mighty Crew will be able to bring in any cool Form of Vampirism or Lycanthropy anytime soon.
    a50whcz343yn.png
    ✓ Occasional Roleplayer
    ✓ Kinda starting to look for a Guild right now. (German)
  • YohYoh Member
    I hope they do eventually add it, I want to play an edgelord.
    But I can wait. There are more important things to get done first.
  • WarkovWarkov Member, Leader of Men, Alpha One
    edited September 11
    ESO absolutely nailed it with cool things like: Being able to steal all items, Having thieves guilds in the cities, Vampirism, and Lycanthropy etc. It is systems and mini-games like these that add so much more interactivity and immersion to an mmo. I really hope it's something that they revisit in the future.
    bgXQsJx.png
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    You can RP without it. If such things are remotely possible within the lore. For example in WoW people roleplayed San'layn. Which were vampires. In FFXIV right now, when I RP. Some people are vampires, linking it to the thirteenth.
    People tend to find a way for roleplay. You don't actually need in-game mechanics for it. So whilst cool, it is not a requirement.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• ariatras wrote: »
    You can RP without it. If such things are remotely possible within the lore. For example in WoW people roleplayed San'layn. Which were vampires. In FFXIV right now, when I RP. Some people are vampires, linking it to the thirteenth.
    People tend to find a way for roleplay. You don't actually need in-game mechanics for it. So whilst cool, it is not a requirement.

I get that it is not a requirement. but when something is tangible in a very real way, it has a profound effect on imagination. it is much easier to roleplay it and especially immerse yourself in it if there are systems in the game to support it.

the difference in frequency of guilds dedicated to these fantasies in ESO compared to for example FFXIV is palpable. sure you will find individual in FF that will roleplay these things anyway. but it feels a lot more forced. and to me the point of RP is to live out these fantasies. the more forced that is the more of the magic of that experience is sapped away.
  • ariatrasariatras Member, Founder
    Kyskei wrote: »
    ariatras wrote: »

I get that it is not a requirement. but when something is tangible in a very real way, it has a profound effect on imagination. it is much easier to roleplay it and especially immerse yourself in it if there are systems in the game to support it.

the difference in frequency of guilds dedicated to these fantasies in ESO compared to for example FFXIV is palpable. sure you will find individual in FF that will roleplay these things anyway. but it feels a lot more forced. and to me the point of RP is to live out these fantasies. the more forced that is the more of the magic of that experience is sapped away.

I think role-playing (RP) is more about embodying a character and imagining their story within the world, rather than relying on specific in-game systems to cater to particular fantasies. While I agree that certain game mechanics can enhance immersion, they aren't essential to the creative freedom that RP allows. The strength of role-playing lies in adapting and shaping a character to fit within the existing lore, rather than forcing external elements that don’t align with the world’s established rules.

For example, as much as I enjoy certain tropes like vampires or the idea of a gunslinger, these don't have to be a part of every world. A well-crafted fantasy universe often has its own internal logic, and part of the beauty of RP is working within those constraints to tell a compelling and authentic story. When certain elements, like guns in a medieval setting or vampires in a science-fiction world, clash with the lore, it risks breaking immersion rather than enhancing it.

I would argue that it's not the presence of specific fantasy mechanics that makes RP powerful, but the ability to create engaging characters and stories within the framework of the game’s world. Limiting the enjoyment of role-playing to whether or not certain elements exist undermines the flexibility and richness of RP itself. In fact, part of the magic of role-playing comes from the freedom to explore new dynamics, even if they don't perfectly align with personal preferences or fantasies. It invites creativity and depth, asking players to work with what they have, rather than needing certain elements to feel fully immersed.

In my opinion, RP is about finding a balance between imagination and the world’s rules, and forcing in elements that don’t fit naturally takes away from that experience. True immersion comes from working within the lore, not bending it to accommodate every possible fantasy.
    l8im8pj8upjq.gif

• patrick68794patrick68794 Member
    edited September 11
    Nothing more silly than lizards and cats transforming to bats and wolves.
    The whole of elden scrolls could have kept those to a specific race.

Why is that sillier than humans and elves turning into "bats and wolves" exactly? Lol
  • Warkov wrote: »
    ESO absolutely nailed it with cool things like, being able to steal all items, plus having thieves guilds in the cities, Vampirism, and Lycanthropy. It's systems and mini-games like these that add so much more interactivity and immersion to mmos. I hope it's something that they revisit in the future.

I just wish they'd stuck to their PvP bounty system that they'd had planned prior to release.