Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Learning the Race languages!

@Ganta writes:

My idee is a ingame non voicechat for the different languages of the races (Orkish chat, elvish Chat, Dwarvish...) Only the specific race can read their own language...

And i thaught about a way you can learn the different languages of the universe so ur able to read the Chats.

PS: Or maybe finding a way to learn how to read the hieroglyphics on the big wall in the long forgotten ruin down there in the hauntet forest.. ^^

That would be a cool thing! specialy for the RP Guys!

Comments

• WoW has racial languages in text chat.  I kinda like it.  Interestingly enough, as hard as Blizzard tried to keep Horde and Alliance from being able to talk to each other, they allowed the Demon Hunters on both sides to use the Demonic language.
  • /emote  'type message here' was always a way around it.......
  • As much as I hate to admit it, I would love it if they made race-specific texts for crafting "discoveries".  If you were a Human Axesmith and wanted to learn the ancient Dwarven method of creating indestructible axes... you either better know a dwarf, or learn how to read/write Dwarven before you can learn the recipe.

But as far as blocking "voice chat" between Races?  I'm pretty sure since everybody essentially comes from a different world, there will be a form of "Common".  It may be region specific or have different "accents" on the same language... but this will generally give a solid Roleplay reason to keep voice chat.

And in terms of Economy - If you look at language globally, English has basically become the language of business between cultures.  This obviously shifts and has pushback at times (especially as China is becoming more global in its businesses) to other languages, but also gives a good roleplay reason to why/how everybody can speak the same language upon entering the world.

...maybe if you want to create a language barrier between some of the subraces or subterranean races, I would be okay with somehow finding a translator, or after a long quest to basically "unlock" the voice chat.

And even though it sounds "racist" in this fictional and fantasy setting, there should be some barriers between the races (perhaps not the spoken language, but text is fine), especially when it comes to crafting and classes.

That's just my opinion, though.
  • Crymoar said:
    /emote  'type message here' was always a way around it.......
    They messed that up too.  The emote comes across as "______ is making strange gestures".
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I mean a racial langueage beside the language all understand
    Basic! maybe the wrong universe..! :)

it was exactly Blizzards WoW who let me think about!

like: Ork1: (orkish) look at this ugly human üaahh disgusting!!
            Human1: (Basic)what did he say?
           Ork2: (Basic) My Brother sayd he likes your armor! where did u get it?
    :D
  • Caelron said:
    As much as I hate to admit it, I would love it if they made race-specific texts for crafting "discoveries".  If you were a Human Axesmith and wanted to learn the ancient Dwarven method of creating indestructible axes... you either better know a dwarf, or learn how to read/write Dwarven before you can learn the recipe.

But as far as blocking "voice chat" between Races?  I'm pretty sure since everybody essentially comes from a different world, there will be a form of "Common".  It may be region specific or have different "accents" on the same language... but this will generally give a solid Roleplay reason to keep voice chat.

And in terms of Economy - If you look at language globally, English has basically become the language of business between cultures.  This obviously shifts and has pushback at times (especially as China is becoming more global in its businesses) to other languages, but also gives a good roleplay reason to why/how everybody can speak the same language upon entering the world.

...maybe if you want to create a language barrier between some of the subraces or subterranean races, I would be okay with somehow finding a translator, or after a long quest to basically "unlock" the voice chat.

And even though it sounds "racist" in this fictional and fantasy setting, there should be some barriers between the races (perhaps not the spoken language, but text is fine), especially when it comes to crafting and classes.

That's just my opinion, though.

I wanted to give a "like" but it's not there for some reason, so... You've got my like. xD

• when I see orks talking I always think of Warhammers orks
  • @Ganta So would you use pre-existing lore as a basis for your languages or create from new?
  • @Kratz i would create them from new! 

But also a langueage based on the lotr universe would be acceptable for me
    The races are based on tolkien so wy not the language too..

• Ganta said:
    @Kratz i would create them from new! 

But also a langueage based on the lotr universe would be acceptable for me
    The races are based on tolkien so wy not the language too..

Interesting. Well based on that then may I say, Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!
  • nagash said:
    when I see orks talking I always think of Warhammers orks
    IN ASHES

ORKS TALK LIKE UMJI!

:smile:
  • lexmax said:
    nagash said:
    when I see orks talking I always think of Warhammers orks
    IN ASHES

ORKS TALK LIKE UMJI!

:smile:
    If only Tolkien met @Umji. Lurtz v Boromir would've been epic! (more epic!) :p
  • Good idea but taken from Metin 2 even though the hieroglyphes were only é&"'"'(-è_çàè-" this xD