Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I Disagree With The Intrepid Team's Position on Equipment Inspection!

In minute 23:21s,  Blood Prophet Asks the Intrepid team " Will the character screen be inspectible by others?" Here, BloodProphet is talking about the ability to inspect other people's equipment via some kind of option. 
Jeffrey says "It probably will be something we give player the option to opt to", which indicates this might be something in the game. Jeffrey goes on to indicate that they would prefer to use visual queues to know who your opponent is rather than just looking at their gear, which is a reasonable thought. Using visual queues would probably make trying to know who your opponent is much more dynamic. 

Steven= Bold words
Jeffrey= Italic words

Steven follows, saying "There is a general Sentiment that comes along with being able to see another person's gear score/equipment list, and that attitude is an elitist one. You're not welcome in this raid-"It can cause unwelcome behavior-" Exactly! The concept behind AoC is that sense of community, that massive feeling, and we want people to interact with each other because there is going to be a lot of events in the world that are going to require interaction. And if we allow for tools that can kinda move away from that, it seems we are under-cutting the whole philosophy behind the community presence." 

What i am taking away from this is that the intrepid team would prefer to not have such an option because it undermines what they're aiming to achieve with ashes, which is a strong sense of community. They don't want an elitist few determining what goes and what doesn't, and while this is a good design philosophy, i have to honestly disagree with this option leading to an elitist behavior. Having the ability to view people's equipment is probably one of the most useful tools a guild leader/raid leader can have access to. It allows leaders to determine who needs improvement and allocate resources towards improving that player. It can also be a helpful tool to determine who is fit enough to join a raid group, and be of use clearing the instance. As you know, raid bosses don't care if a party is fit enough or not, they will slaughter the unfit, and die to the fit.

Steven gives an example as to how being able to view people's equipment can lead to an elitist behavior by pointing to raid leaders telling people "You're not welcome in this raid", and while this might be an unwanted behavior, i have to say, the majority of times a raid leader tells a player they aren't welcome in a said raid, it is because that player will be a hindrance to the team. It is useful to have a tool to check if a certain player is good enough to contribute to finishing a raid. 

Having the ability to view people's equipment will only lead to an elitist behavior if a certain player uses it that way. If this is the case, then that player is the inherent problem. It is that player who is toxic, and is using this inspection tool to be an elitist. Guild leaders and Raid leaders are the people who benefit from this most, and if a player tells someone they aren't welcome somewhere because they don't have the right gear, then that is probably for the better. Keep in mind, if that person is serious about getting better in the game, then they can play other parts of the game to get stronger. Strong enough to join whatever that activity might have been. So, it isn't the option that is inherently elitist friendly, it's more about how it is used. I would love it if such an option exists in the game. Anyways, what do you guys think? 

Comments

• Options
    Did they not say they may put in an option that you can turn it on so others can see it?  I took away, that you can turn on the option for others to inspect you if you choose.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Sintu said:
    Did they not say they may put in an option that you can turn it on so others can see it?  I took away, that you can turn on the option for others to inspect you if you choose.
    Jeffrey said "I don't think we want people snooping at other people's gear. This is a PvP game, and we want the ability to use visual ques to kinda determine who your opponent is..." Steven also talked critically about this option linking it to elitist behavior, so i am pretty certain they won't have this option in the game. Still, worth trying to convince them otherwise. By the way, Ashes is both a heavy PvE and PvP game :D 
  • Options
    Sintu said:
    This is what I understood as well. Giving players the option to show it when in the presence of allies or those who need to know what you're rocking, and hiding it so random people can't see what you've got.
  • Options
    I agree with Intrepid's stance.  I know there are guilds who build their raids on these, but as stated by previous posters, they seem to be inclined to make some option where you might be able to show other guild members.
  • Options
    SelinaH said:
    Sintu said:
    Jeffrey said "I don't think we want people snooping at other people's gear. This is a PvP game, and we want the ability to use visual ques to kinda determine who your opponent is..." Steven also talked critically about this option linking it to elitist behavior, so i am pretty certain they won't have this option in the game. Still, worth trying to convince them otherwise. By the way, Ashes is both a heavy PvE and PvP game :D 
    Jeffrey said "It probably would be something we would give players the option to opt into, but we do not want people in general snooping other people's gear."  Was the first thing he said.  Not saying you are incorrect but my takeaway, and it is only my opinion, is that it could be optionally put on to allow a guildmate or group mate to look.
  • Options
    Many recent games, such as ArcheAge, made gear an optional view. Of course there were ways around it such as rankings boards etc.
  • Options
    Raid leaders will just require a screenshot instead. You can't stop players from finding a way; you can just annoy users by making them use work arounds. You might as well build in the convenience. 
  • Options
    What @tugowar said. There will still be a way for guilds to help its members improve etc, all this will do is hinder elitist mentality.
  • Options
    Giving players the option to allow others to inspect our gear aligns perfectly with the player agency design pillar in my opinion. Player agency will allow us to express ourselves as individuals rather than part of some "cookie cutter" culture that other MMORPGs seem to foster. I think this will lead to a more vibrant and appealing gaming experience. 
  • Options
    tugowar said:
    Raid leaders will just require a screenshot instead. You can't stop players from finding a way; you can just annoy users by making them use work arounds. You might as well build in the convenience. 
    I agree that just anyone should not be able to see your gear so the option to turn it off seems reasonable. There are games that do not give you the ability to see other's gear.  
    If it is not an option then work for the right to see someones gear.  
    lol  
  • Options
    What @tugowar said. There will still be a way for guilds to help its members improve etc, all this will do is hinder elitist mentality.
    Jeff said that this may be "opt in", which means that players who want to display their gear can. Or if they want to join a guild that requires them to display their gear, then that would be a prerequisite of joining that guild. Or am I missing something?
  • Options
    @lexmax yes that's the most likely the way they'll do it. Even though they said they don't want players to "snoop on your gear", an opt in system would solve that. It would however encourage elitist mentality. You won't be able to join groups unless you opt in to show them your gear/spec, etc.
  • Options
    Agree fully with Intrepid's position about the reasons against this option.

I would even go so far as say that even having an option is a bad idea because someone can demand to see your gear or you don't get into a guild or raid, etc.

If you can't at least tell a level of competence by the gear they are visually wearing then you don't deserve to demand anything from anyone in the first place.

You want to know what I'm wearing? ASK ME.
  • Options
    There are many sides to this story and games have had many different ways to handle gear. EQ you could walk up and inspect anyone. It never bothered me. I was in a successful raid guild and my main always had top gear, and in my down time I would hang out and help new players. Everyone wanted to inspect the gear and I was happy to show it off. My alts were 100% on their own, and people after inspecting them at times would help them get better gear (not a fan of handouts). Some people however were offended if you inspected them, each to their own.

WoW had the gear score, you might not be able to see the gear but that magic number told all how good your stuff was. No one wants to carry a player in a pickup group, it always happens either by skill, gear, or attendance someone drags down a group. Putting in a gear score removes at least the one component the game itself can detect. 

I think leaving it up to the player on how deep an inspection can go is the right choice. I do believe that there should be a base line that is always visible though, that is if gear itself will at some point make that much of a difference. I am pretty sure it will. Gear score is safe if a bit impersonal. It might not be needed in this game, again, alpha and beta testing should be invaluable in this regard. 
  • Options
    Most guilds will have a chart to track who's score/gear is where. As for random encounters, I like the realistic aspect of it. If you see some dude IRL with body armour and huge axe and you only have on a tshirt and jeans well rip. 
    Yes, speaking from experience in other AAA MMOs this type of invasion of privacy in game leads to elitist behavior. 
    However, I wouldn't be opposed to a toggle option. 
  • Options
    "You are unwelcome in this raid"

Removing inspect option does not help in any way here.
    People will just use DPS meters, and then kick people who under perform after the first wipe.

Elitist guilds will always find the way to filter out people. Removing gear inspection ability will not help here.

Although I DO AGREE WITH REMOVING THE GEAR INSPECTION OPTION -- but for completely different reason.

In open world PvP, people will not just inspect approaching player and then decide if they fight back or not based solely on that.

They will have to decide on other, situational factors, which is how it should be.

I support "no gear inspection".
  • Options
    I would see a mechanic / solution being the ability for each player to send an in game link to another player of some sort of player sheet that offered the basic specs usually required - gear / skills / etc. This would protect a player from prying eyes but at the same give players the tools they need to help each other out. So in a PVP situation a player could not just scan another player and see his stats or build, but in a PVE situation player could offer the inframation to a fellow layer or guild mate for help improving his build, making sure he is prepared for a Raid, etc.

In the end the elitist will find a way to get or force players to give them what they want if you want to play with them.

I guess my opinion is that the tools should be available to share this information-but the right to share should be the players. If a group requires the information in order to group that is their right, and it is your right not to share and find a group that fits your style.

Maddstone
  • Options
    I agree with @PlagueMonk, on this issue.  

While possibly having a mechanic to opt in/opt out of allowing others to view one's gear, seems like a logical compromise, it's just a breath away from toxic behavior.  Like other's have already mentioned, people who look to fill slots's in dungeons/raids, will just put out the stipulation of "gear  check", before allowing admittance.  

Honestly speaking, is there any way of completely eradicating this type of elitism?  No.  But, that sure as hell doesn't mean that we as a community should make it easier, by handing out tools that encourage such.

@Gothix
    I don't believe Ashes is going to have/allow meters, in the game.  The devs spoke of "metrics", which I believe will apply to leaderboards, and display the contribution of the team overall, in certain aspects, as opposed to singular statistics.  But, nothing has been confirmed, either way.

• Options
    That is not what @tugowar said. Also, there is no guaranteed that not having this system will hinder elitist mentality because elitism doesn't come from this system, it's inherent to the player. If someone is elitist and this system isn't in place, then they will find other ways to be an elitist. Tugowar said it will be an inconvenience to not have this in place. 
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    tugowar said:
    I agree with that, but if someone is forming a group for a 40 man raid, which is a confirmed thing, wouldn't it be insane to have to ask all of those people for screenshots of their gear. Moreover, how hard would it be to fake screenshots? I have actually done it myself. I use to play this game named "Cabal Online". In it's early days, there wasn't an option to view someone's equipment, so i asked my brother to take a picture of his stats (we played the same class) and crop it so i can give it to this guild leader. It worked, and i got accepted. So, while screenshots would work, i don't know how effective they will be. Linking item, though, is a good alternative in my opinion.
  • Options
    I tend to agree with Intrepid's position on this, and I also agree with @PlagueMonk's statement.

Obviously, the MMO genre has largely embraced gear scores. However, getting an accurate gear score is only possible if the game is stat driven and progression is strictly linear. If a game does not have linear power progression, then a gear score does not represent the capability of the gear, and it becomes a separate stat. (In old school D&D it would be charisma, as it determines your ability to find groups)

Think of non-MMO genre games, If you play MOBA your team mates don't tell you to play a specific character, they just need you to fill a role. In team FPS like battlefield, it's the same thing, guilds usually do not want to inspect your load out, they just want you to get a job done. If IS is attempting to accomplish this, I'm all for it.

We know very little about gameplay at this point. I think it has been said that combat will be a mix of action and tab targeting. But we do know that weapons will be usable by all archetypes, and that weapons determine both a basic attack (keystroke), and an ultimate (as of the PAX build). The way classes are built, there are a lot of options for the developers to change aspects of play by providing augments as well.

It's really hard to have this discussion at this point, and it will probably be easier after PAX. But as of now, It is a definite possibility that high level gear will not fit into a linear power progression paradigm. If instead of numbers, high level gear offers optionality, then a gear score would probably be a strongly negative thing. That is to say, under those circumstances, people utilizing a gear score to make choices would be using bad information.
  • Options
    SelinaH said:
    tugowar said:
    I agree with that, but if someone is forming a group for a 40 man raid, which is a confirmed thing, wouldn't it be insane to have to ask all of those people for screenshots of their gear. 
    With discord, it's not hard at all.  On your note of a dishonest screenshot, that's on you  =P

My point is actually the other way... that having ANY inspection tool including the ability to opt in undermines the desire to not have a heavy gear focus.  By having an inspection tool but not just turning it on for people in your guild or alliance, it's just a pain.  And why cause that pain?

I think the way you achieve I.S. goal of not being exclusionary is to not focus on item levels or tiers.  Sure you have stats on the gear, and people can analyze the gear that you choose.  Or they can look at how much intelligence, spirit, etc. you have on the whole.  But don't focus on item level.  Focus on stat min/maxing without necessarily gear min/maxing.  I think people have gone wrong when they've focused so much on a single stat - gear level - instead of being intelligent about how to put your gear together to max stats for a crit heavy tanking build or a block heavy build, etc.
  • Options
    I agree with Intrepid on this. Why would you need to inspect someone's gear anyway?

Besides being eliticist when forming a group or "cheating checking" people before you attack them in pvp.

If you want to know what skin some player has, what build or what gear to help them I bet the player will respond you if you just ask him.
  • Options
    On the other hand...

...if all raids are complete-able by people of any gear level, how silly that would be?

This would mean game has extremely low competitiveness and that WILL push a lot of people away.

There SHOULD be different levels on content, complete-able on different levels of gear (and skill, but gear also). And if there IS a content that REQUIRES higher gear level, then people who form the raids need to know who they can invite, for the simple reason not to waste everybodys time.

It is a hard question, and not an easy choice.

I would personally prevent gear inspection in open world, but I don't know how I would solve the problem of raid leaders trying to form raids that can actually complete the content.

And I am totally NOT for all content be complete-able by everyone, because if this is how it would be I would certainly think twice if I would want to play such game.

I need a challenge, and I need to feel that my progress allows me to reach some content that i was not able to reach previous to my effort.
  • Options
    I feel that even though this game is community focused, it is also PvP focused and will surely be competitive. There are hardcore players who just prefer to be with players who can carry their own weight and while it may not be a great experience for some players who get rejected for these reasons, it should give them drive to better themselves. Motivation. Why should players carry other players? Ugh
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    You know how MMO's have a party invite or a trade invite? Well, here's a suggestion:

Player A has requested to inspect your equipment.

Accept | Decline

Does this solve the issue at hand in this thread? No. Is it a suggestion for Intrepid? Yes.

• Options
    Gothix said:
    On the other hand...

...if all raids are complete-able by people of any gear level, how silly that would be?

This would mean game has extremely low competitiveness and that WILL push a lot of people away.

There SHOULD be different levels on content, complete-able on different levels of gear (and skill, but gear also). And if there IS a content that REQUIRES higher gear level, then people who form the raids need to know who they can invite, for the simple reason not to waste everybodys time.

It is a hard question, and not an easy choice.

I would personally prevent gear inspection in open world, but I don't know how I would solve the problem of raid leaders trying to form raids that can actually complete the content.

And I am totally NOT for all content be complete-able by everyone, because if this is how it would be I would certainly think twice if I would want to play such game.

I need a challenge, and I need to feel that my progress allows me to reach some content that i was not able to reach previous to my effort.
    They can do it like gw2 and many other games did. You cant queue up/join lfm for difficult content/raid if you dont have high enough gear score. Etc. a minimum to enter X raid is "6k" but you don't know if people in your party have 11k or only this 6k required. Minimum should be like - people with less than that will probably end up dying every 10 seconds and its impossible for them to finish. People with minimum should be able to complete the raid with high skill and effort. People high above minimum will have easier time.
  • Options
    I have to agree with Intrepid's stance here. I am a PVX player where crafting comes 1st.  So when it comes to getting the raids etc done I'm usually a bit behind on the gear grind.  Being ruled out of all but the most accommodating groups puts you in a a catch 22 situation.  Need to do raids to get the best mats to make the gear but cant do the raids cuz you already have to have the best gear to get in the group to do them.........  Gear is also no guarantee that the player wearing it will be any good to the group.  5.5k player who knows how to play is better than 11k noob who just bought an account character name LEROY JENKINS!  FACT!
  • Options
    @lexmax yes that's the most likely the way they'll do it. Even though they said they don't want players to "snoop on your gear", an opt in system would solve that. It would however encourage elitist mentality. You won't be able to join groups unless you opt in to show them your gear/spec, etc.
    If a person decides to join any guild that is elitist that is their choice.   
  • Options
    I have to agree with Intrepid's stance here. I am a PVX player where crafting comes 1st.  So when it comes to getting the raids etc done I'm usually a bit behind on the gear grind.  Being ruled out of all but the most accommodating groups puts you in a a catch 22 situation.  Need to do raids to get the best mats to make the gear but cant do the raids cuz you already have to have the best gear to get in the group to do them.........  Gear is also no guarantee that the player wearing it will be any good to the group.  5.5k player who knows how to play is better than 11k noob who just bought an account character name LEROY JENKINS!  FACT!
    You summed it up nicely.   Gear does not guarantee ability and knowledge.  Also any group or person  that has that elitist attitude doesn't necessarily guarantee they are good.