Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

☆ How to Depict Wind Magic ? ☆

ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
edited July 2017 in Ashes of Creation Design
『Even in Fantasy, Wind Magic have always been depicted differently - sometimes Clear, other times Green or Grey-ish  ... maybe others ? 』

From what I can remember, the only time when Wind Magic was depicted as Green ... was in the ❝ Fire Emblem ❞  Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZ11REU9VQ
Pause the Video at 2:52        2:52 - 2:54  >.<  ( not the " Ice " )

although ... feel free to watch it at 2:42 - 3:02
 ( but the initial time-stamp is ideal imo)

What should Wind Magic look like to you ?  :o

Comments

• Depends on the nature of the wind. 

I assume, usually, that green is evil-ish, so I would pick that colour for necromantic miasma/wind or similar. I links to illness, poison and death.

Pure elemental wind I would picture white, if I have to picture it, because, well, wind has no colour. Maybe I would add some effect like flying debris or moving objects/branches to give the idea, with the help of sound effects, that wind magic is happening.

Then we could have blue wind for blizzard-like spells, maybe cast during winter and some heat haze during summer.
  • Eragale said:
    『Even in Fantasy, Wind Magic have always been depicted differently - sometimes Clear, other times Green or Grey-ish  ... maybe others ? 』

From what I can remember, the only time when Wind Magic was depicted as Green ... was in the ❝ Fire Emblem ❞  Series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZ11REU9VQ
    Pause the Video at 2:52        2:52 - 2:54  >.<  ( not the " Ice " )

although ... feel free to watch it at 2:42 - 3:02
     ( but the initial time-stamp is ideal imo)

What should Wind Magic look like to you ?  :o

The Wind is wind.  You don't necessarily see it, so I couldn't imagine it as a color, but for animes like Avatar the Last Airbender, where he does air bending they draw the wind as a white color. So if they were to do something like that, it'd be either white or brown, brown because of tornados etc.

Image result for wind magic

I can see it being an emerald-ish color, due to being it earth like. 

But the wind really takes pigmentation with the items around it, it should reflect the ground, or the sky supposedly. You know? So it could be brown, or blue, or green because of trees.

• @ruairidh

Evil ? thats interesting. Why would green be Evil ? is there an visual example you have ?

I'd like to see (: 3)
  • @Czar

Initially, thats what i thought too - that Wind Magic should adapt to its Environment. I personally did like the Green-ish Vibe  :p
  • I think the animation should just barely ruffle the back of the pants, or lift the skirt slightly. 
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    Eragale said:
    @ruairidh

Evil ? thats interesting. Why would green be Evil ? is there an visual example you have ?

I'd like to see (: 3)
    Well, the first thing that comes to mind is Nurgle, chaos god of decay

Then we have orcs, goblins and all kind of greenish barbarian 

Then we have the necromancer both in Guild Wars 2

And in Diablo 3

It depends on the shade you use, but it can quite easily evoke putridity, miasma, poison and such.
  • @ruairidh
    it looks almost like Fire. Similar to Maleficent Dragon-Form

• Yes, never quite understood why would have been green. Fire turns green with boric acid, which is found in disinfectants.

Well, watever the case, if you mind, you should see quite the acidic tone. It is not a gentle green like the green of trees but something... unpleasant, like poison or acid.
  • @ruairidh

I forgot to message you back but ..

Fun " Fact ":

Did you know ... that the Intensity of Heat is ( technically ) determined by the Color Temperature  ? In other Words, the Color " White " should be the Hottest because White is the brightest Color in the Color-Spectrum.

( of course its base on other things too ~.~ )

• yes, I knew, studying weapons I stumbled upon this thing while reading about blacksmithing, but there is no such thing as "green heat", usually the hottest temperatures give away some blu-white colour straight from red/yellow.

If you want a differently coloured flame, then, even with a lower temperature fire, like a normal cooking flame, you have to use a different kind of fuel, usually various kind of chemicals  

In this way you can get purple flame, red flame... and, of course, green flame.
    edited September 2017
    For me its actually the transition between classical elements that the change takes place and its the change we notice rather than the stable or mundane we take for granted.

Cold/Dry - Freeze dried and fracturing like mummification and the thaw and frostbite.
    Hot/Dry - Dessication with a good chance of fire because the moisture is removed
    Hot/Wet - thunderstorms and lightning with the humidity
    Cold/Wet - Water becomes ice after falling from the skies and returning to earth.
    Basically following the seasonal water cycle from ground to sky and back to ground as the lifeforce ebbs and flows.

Shocking, Burning, fracturing and freezing
    Wet water, dry land, cold air at the poles and heat at the equator.
    So yeah, Id go white for air (cold), red for fire (hot), green for earth (dry), and blue for water (wet).

Which kind of fits with the use of the feather and birds as symbols of the air to represent the ego. And the heart or fire to represent the conscience. The duality within us that eternally conflict. The spirit or aetheric body made from water and the physical form made from earth.

Hence even now we still use the term ....heartless.
  • @UnknownSystemError
    People will wear full body armor in ashes </3
    edited September 2017
    @Uao
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4vPGS8SXaw&t=440s

Pause at 12:44 ...  ;)

Luls, but yeah, you're not wrong though, just not like BDO, BnS, Moonlight Blade MMO ... not like Eastern MMOs. But defintely to an extent
  • @Uao
     re-read my previous Comment . I meant 12:44 not 2:44
    edited September 2017
    Standard, run of the mill wind, is generally depicted as white in games, cartoons, other art, etc. It's the most vanilla, and thus the most used, style.