I love AoC concepts but im concerned about how it all comes together

Planet419Planet419 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
i've been on a tear going through every scrap of AoC content that I could find, but i've realized something that we have to understand before anything!

Combat is the foundation that all of these great ideas/philosophies are to be built upon but it doesn't sound like we know anything about the combat beyond it being a hybrid of Action & Tap. The BR footage has been spoken of like a server stress test and not much else, i wish we had more information because I feel like the combat at this point has no identity. I don't have a clue how this games combat is going to look, and the BR felt like it was more placeholder than an indication of how AoC combat should feel. I don't know if we are to assume that alpha 1 (which i'll be missing) will have iterated on the combat or not.

I'm worried because I feel like we are going to need something good before we can truly help with feedback. It sounds like they are open to anything but without the foundation there, how can we achieve something with our feedback? It's so early but i suppose the start of all this combat talk, we should hear from the Devs. I would love for us all to have more detailed talks about what the goals are for AoC's combat system.

What Kind of Pace are we looking at? How much mobility are we looking at? How much risk and reward mechanics are we looking at? I feel like at this point in time I have 0 clue what any of the parameters are! Maybe some comparisons to aspects of other games combat would be useful to describing some of AoC's goals.

I know everything except what is the most pivotal part of the game (COMBAT) :s !

I'm stressed lol What ya'll thinking? To me I dont get a sense of direction yet here?

Comments

• Wandering MistWandering Mist Member, Founder, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You're right that a lot of the game hinges on the combat which we know very little about right now. I think most crucially we need to know what all the classes are capable of, because right now we have only seen the Tank, Cleric and Mage. Once we see the other classes in action we'll have a better idea about how group dynamics work. Hopefully all of this will be implemented into testing before the end of the year.
    volunteer_moderator.gif
  • phdmonsterphdmonster Member
    edited July 2020
    Oh my gosh!!!

Good thing the game is still in development and testing will be about 2 years long.

Chill out, pop open a cold one and wait it out. No need to stress about things that don't exist yet. No need to stress over things that will be tested over and over and over until it's made to work well.

Combat will be tested probaebly up until release, so i don't think you need to worry about that.

From what Steveo has said on interviews and livestreams they are looking for a slower paced combat that is more strategic. What that looks like, we will have to wait and see.
  • Planet419Planet419 Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    phdmonster wrote: »
    Oh my gosh!!!

Good thing the game is still in development and testing will be about 2 years long.

Chill out, pop open a cold one and wait it out. No need to stress about things that don't exist yet. No need to stress over things that will be tested over and over and over until it's made to work well.

Combat will be tested probaebly up until release, so i don't think you need to worry about that.

I need some clarity on combat so i can decide to buy the $250 package, which I cannot yet justify until i know more
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Planet419 wrote: »
    Oh my gosh!!!

I need some clarity on combat so i can decide to buy the $250 package, which I cannot yet justify until i know more

Well, that clarity doesn't exist just yet.

Wish it did, but it doesn't.

Even when we are alpha testing the game, we won't have much of an idea of how the combat system will be at release.

We won't know until the end of beta 1, or the start of beta 2.

Fortunately for you, the packs aren't likely to be removed from sale any time soon, so assuming you aren't super keen on testing the game (actually testing, not just early access), then you are in no rush to purchase.

In fact, the games developer has kind of suggested people hold off for now.
  • SamsonSamson Member
    Oh my gosh!!!

We only know so much at this point... the game is currently in pre-alpha... I would suggest that you take some time and look over the AoC Wiki (https://ashesofcreation.wiki/) and take a look at the Ashes of Creation YouTube channel to gather more information.

You have plenty of time to figure out if you truly want to invest in the game. Just take your time. :)
    sig-Samson-Final.gif
    noaani wrote: »
    Oh my gosh!!!

Even when we are alpha testing the game, we won't have much of an idea of how the combat system will be at release.

Fortunately for you, the packs aren't likely to be removed from sale any time soon, so assuming you aren't super keen on testing the game (actually testing, not just early access), then you are in no rush to purchase.

How am i to test something that doesn't have an identity?
  • Planet419 wrote: »

The answer is pretty simple, you dont test it if the expenditure is personally too much for what you have seen so far. So far only limited combat footage has been shown and is subject to change with AoC expressing views that they place a lot of value on combat. The combat identity will be developed slowly throughout alpha and beta testing which has no NDA. Just chill, wait and hold onto your money.
  • NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    noaani wrote: »
    Oh my gosh!!!

No idea, but I'm going to.
    Dierseus wrote: »

The answer is pretty simple, you dont test it if the expenditure is personally too much for what you have seen so far. So far only limited combat footage has been shown and is subject to change with AoC expressing views that they place a lot of value on combat. The combat identity will be developed slowly throughout alpha and beta testing which has no NDA. Just chill, wait and hold onto your money.

alpha 1 has no NDA? you sure?
  • Planet419 wrote: »

Yep very sure. Here is some info and estimates on alpha 1 from the wiki which is already closed for entry and theyll most likely give some notice before alpha 2 is closed so just stay updated. :smiley:

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Alpha-1_testing

Yep very sure. Here is some info and estimates on alpha 1 from the wiki which is already closed for entry and theyll most likely give some notice before alpha 2 is closed so just stay updated. :smiley:

Good looks im sure before alpha 2 ill be catching yall ;)
  • StevenSharifStevenSharif Moderator, Member, Staff, Avatar of the Phoenix, Kickstarter
    There is going to be a lot of iteration needed on the combat front to get it to a good feeling place
  • TheLegend27TheLegend27 Member
    edited July 2020
    Oh my gosh!!!

I'd say wait for the Alpha-One feedback. It's no NDA so you'll have plenty to go on.
    Atm we know that Alpha-One is scheduled for this Summer (I'm assuming August but we haven't got much more info on it). I'm in a similar space as you.
  • Dierseus wrote: »

Oops didn't see your reply before posting lol
  • Valento92Valento92 Member
    edited July 2020
    I think his concern is fair but as people pointed out, be patient. Even Sharif recommends not paying if you don't want to and wait until there's more solid info. I'm confident they're truly taking their time after all it's not just design in place but actual implementation and this is so hard to do, even to the most experienced in the industry (and Intrepid got really good people).

"Patience is bitter but its fruit is sweet."
    "Magic is not a tool, little one. It is a river that unites us in its current."

I heard a bird ♫