Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Build and Spend Mechanic (Rage)

JamieKaosJamieKaos Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
I don't know if this has been touched on yet but do we know if any of the archetypes will have a rage like mechanic?

I want to play something that has a barbarian feel to it or in the same vein as WoWs warrior class.

If not a build and spend mechanic maybe something akin to DnD or Pathfinder where you can rage but after combat ends you get a debuff that would make your character fatigued for a bit.

The DnD style of rage would have that risk-reward feel that Ashes is going for, having to decide when to pop your rage for the bonus and dealing with the consequence of being fatigued afterward.

I guess what I'm saying is I want a Barbarian like class that is a bit reckless and aggressive that needs that thrill of battle to hit its full potential 🤣
r0jyzz3tdhj5.png

Comments

• Options
    Although I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, I think everyone is going to use only mana.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mana
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Although I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, I think everyone is going to use only mana.

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Mana

That's the vibe I was getting and I hope they consider using a few different resources for the various archetypes. I'm not a fan of the, everyone is a mage, way of doing things.
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • Options
    If this is the case, then I would love to see a Pathfinder like Rage ability find itself in the game.
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • Options
    KhronusKhronus Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I very much enjoyed the rage mechanic in wow and hope to see more than everyone simply having mana. Mana can be the main source of magic but I hope it works differently for each person. The same essence that conjure a fireball should not be a cost when backstabbing an enemy IMO.

How would you want it implemented @Gilikoth ? For example, let's say fighter and tank both got a "rage" resource that is built during combat or taking damage. What happens when I spec tank/mage or fighter mage? Do we add a secondary pool of mana? Does the warrior change completely to mana based combat since all abilities will be altered to exhibit a mage style influence?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    @Khronus the augments definitely add a level of complexity I hadn't thought all the way through yet but if they didn't want to make another resource you could have passive archetype abilities.

The tank could have a "rage" passive where incoming and out going damage increases your mana pool, or say the rouge gets a passive where if they are flanking or behind the enemy they get the back stab passive applied to attacks. This way there isn't an entirely different resource adding an extra layer of headache to workout in the augment system.

Another option would be to add a third resource much like ESO but rather than starting with that resource full, it grows as damage is either taken or given out. Then you would have an option like in ESO to change how a core ability works. If your axe throw used to be a stamina based resource that did physical damage maybe augmenting it to become a mana based attack now does magic damage or something along those lines.

All I know is that playing the tank didn't feel that great running out of mana and needing to rely on a mage to top me off or slowly recover my mana. For me a warrior or tank or barbarian really feels the best when I can build up my resource and unleash fury at my opponents or pop a big damage mitigation ability. Also long as it has that feel, I guess I don't really care if it's call mana, essence, rage or whatever.
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • Options
    I feel like the reason they would want to avoid different resources might be because of the hybrid class flavoring thing. If fighter abilities or play style uses rage, and they mix it with a mage what are they going to end up using? Rage, mana, both?
  • Options
    AtamaAtama Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    I feel like the reason they would want to avoid different resources might be because of the hybrid class flavoring thing. If fighter abilities or play style uses rage, and they mix it with a mage what are they going to end up using? Rage, mana, both?

That's easy. The secondary class only augments the primary class, it doesn't even give you new skills. so no matter what you would use rage. The mage would only alter what those rage-induced fighter skills do to an extent.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Atama wrote: »

That's easy. The secondary class only augments the primary class, it doesn't even give you new skills. so no matter what you would use rage. The mage would only alter what those rage-induced fighter skills do to an extent.

Let's say that a mage augment school is elemental damage, and then the rage class adds fire damage to their ability, does that make sense? Rage is a physical force and then a rage consuming ability does elemental (magic) effects?
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »

Let's say that a mage augment school is elemental damage, and then the rage class adds fire damage to their ability, does that make sense? Rage is a physical force and then a rage consuming ability does elemental (magic) effects?
    Of course it makes sense. If an attack has you swing your weapon to knock a guy down, and you augment that skill with magic to set him on fire, you're still knocking him down with a weapon so it's still a physical attack. It just gets turned into magic by the character's mage knowledge.

However, if what we've seen in Alpha 1 is any indication of how the game will be at release, I don't believe there will be any class that doesn't have magic as part of it. Which is why just sticking with mana as a resource makes sense from a lore perspective. It doesn't mean that having different resources can't work, but sticking with just mana probably works better.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    However, if what we've seen in Alpha 1 is any indication of how the game will be at release, I don't believe there will be any class that doesn't have magic as part of it. Which is why just sticking with mana as a resource makes sense from a lore perspective. It doesn't mean that having different resources can't work, but sticking with just mana probably works better.

After giving it more thought I really don't care what resource they use, I just want it to feel right. Tank not being able to use tank abilities because you're OOM just feels wrong. That's why I'm thinking rage could be a passive for the parent archetype that generates mana through damage dealt and received or rather refueling the essence through battle.

Especially since I primarily have always played physical classes, except in ESO where everyone is basically some form of magic, I really want to have the option to play something that FEELS like it's a primarily a melee beat stick.

I'm with you with adding fire damage to an attack doesn't make you a mage and it could be used to alter the rage abilities. I mean fire and rage go together extremely well 🤣
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • Options
    What if a tank has a skill to sacrifice health to generate mana? That seems thematic and would get around the issue.

It might need a cooldown to prevent abuse though. (And to not stress out the healers too much.)

Hhak63P.png
  • Options

Ok but if fighter abilities are built around a rage mechanic, how are you going to add that flavor to a mage spell for a mage/fighter... Or would you just ignore that whole aspect of a fighter when creating augments...

Just having only mana would be easier.

Having more dedicated resources would make reach class feel more unique.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    Gilikoth wrote: »
    Tank not being able to use tank abilities because you're OOM just feels wrong.
    There are a LOT of MMO's that have this.

I would argue that there are probably more that have this than there are that don't.
  • Options

Ok but if fighter abilities are built around a rage mechanic, how are you going to add that flavor to a mage spell for a mage/fighter... Or would you just ignore that whole aspect of a fighter when creating augments...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An augment modifies the skills of your main class in a way that resembles your secondary class. Any mechanics of that secondary class have nothing to do with it.

But before you start asking that classes be more unique, maybe wait until we actually see them first? You’re getting a bit ahead of yourself. We barely know anything about most of the classes.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I don't see how it's 'getting ahead of themselves'. If none of us voiced our opinion until we saw it, how would Steven know there was demand for an indepth augment system that carried real weight on what your role is. You can't just 'make a shift in that direction' after building up your systems design without destroying a bunch of work. A developer is far more likely to just 'ignore the demand and accept the niche' at that point. After all that is part of the point of the forums at this stage of the development process.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

An augment modifies the skills of your main class in a way that resembles your secondary class. Any mechanics of that secondary class have nothing to do with it.

But before you start asking that classes be more unique, maybe wait until we actually see them first? You’re getting a bit ahead of yourself. We barely know anything about most of the classes.

Ok
    But if a class is built around a mechanic that has a resource how are you going to have an ability augmented to resemble that class and just not have that resource exist...

Either way
    I didn't ask for anything. Or even make a suggestion.
    I don't care what they do for this honestly...

As far as the tank not being able to use tank abilities because he is OOM. Most of those abilities aren't resource based at all, just cooldown timers.
  • Options
    I too like having different resource types, but the full-mana thing seems to fit the Ashes lore. Nobody really has any archetype while they're still in Sanctus, cos they're cut off from the Essence. It's only when they come into contact with the Essence that they gain their powers, so it does sort of make sense that each skill is based in the magic of the Essence.

"Essence" again, just cos I've already said it so many times. Essence.

Essence.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    JustVineJustVine Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »
    I too like having different resource types, but the full-mana thing seems to fit the Ashes lore. Nobody really has any archetype while they're still in Sanctus, cos they're cut off from the Essence. It's only when they come into contact with the Essence that they gain their powers, so it does sort of make sense that each skill is based in the magic of the Essence.

"Essence" again, just cos I've already said it so many times. Essence.

Essence.

Thanks for distilling the Essence of the lore for us. I really felt like you captured it's essence.
    Riding in Solo Bad Guy's side car

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Yhr9WpjaDzw
  • Options
    @JustVine exactly, this is why I want to have this conversation now.

@Noaani it's fine that there are a lot of MMOs that have tanks go OOM, I'm just personally not a fan of how it feels because I love the feel of build and spend mechanics.

I just want to have a class or play style that fits what I like in an MMO. I don't care really how they go about it but I want my character to feel like a raging barbarian or something akin to it.

It could be through an active ability, a passive ability, or a resource. Just something that allows me to take the damage I'm taking or the damage I'm dealing to generate the resource I use for my abilities.

@Atama I'm also down with the sacrifice hp for mana regeneration as well, keeps with the risk and reward theme.
    r0jyzz3tdhj5.png
  • Options
    I'm against rage as a resource itself. Since that one often has many imbalances tied to them. Usually disadvantages like not being able to unload skills from the get go. Then they often get too many skill activations from being in combat for prolonged periods of time.

I think they would need to focus on something more like the other Diablo 3 resources instead. Since aside from Fury a lot of those were pretty well designed resource systems. A lot of them let you unload your skills from the beginning and had unique traits to them that made them worth having to begin with. While not giving many advantages for generation.

Not really against alternative resource systems aside from fury though. Thematic resources make sense, but I don't think they either put much thought into it or are just going to default to mana. In a way they kinda already wrote it to make sense that every class could have mana and make sense.
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage
  • Options
    McShave wrote: »
    despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage

Someone will say what is lost can never be saved.

Especially with the harsh death penalty for people who are corrupted.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    We will have to wait and see when all the archetypes are implemented into testing! If it does end up being the case and for whatever reason we were to not enjoy it or have feedback, I'd hope that feedback is shared here so that we can discuss it when the time comes! :smiley:
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    CruelCrusaderCruelCrusader Member
    edited October 2021
    Gilikoth wrote: »
    @JustVine exactly, this is why I want to have this conversation now.

@Noaani it's fine that there are a lot of MMOs that have tanks go OOM, I'm just personally not a fan of how it feels because I love the feel of build and spend mechanics.

I just want to have a class or play style that fits what I like in an MMO. I don't care really how they go about it but I want my character to feel like a raging barbarian or something akin to it.

It could be through an active ability, a passive ability, or a resource. Just something that allows me to take the damage I'm taking or the damage I'm dealing to generate the resource I use for my abilities.

@Atama I'm also down with the sacrifice hp for mana regeneration as well, keeps with the risk and reward theme.

im not thrilled of the idea that tanks should be depending on mana to be functional. i think it would be a huge benefit to having a 2 tier source system. like fighters and tanks should have something similar to how the demonhunter in diablo 3 operates with "hatred" being rage and "dicipline" being mana. as you burn mana you build rage and as you spend rage you build mana.

but then you would need to revise most the classes. like in WoW warlocks use soulstones, a summoner can use this same concept to limit their ability to summon endless familiars. cause if the only limiting factor is their mana then they can basically do everything solo. especially if they can "summon 3 familiars at a time (tank dps and support)", they should be able to harvest fractions of soulstones from animals, living objects, golems, and hostile plant life. and larger portions of the stones from humanoid enemies.

rouge and rangers mainly use energy and mana as a secondary. mages are high capacity mana bearers that can lend out mana, clerics spend health as a secondary for revives where the cost is taken before the cast begins, also strong heals and AoE heals share the cost of both mana and hp.

bards i think would be the only unique class that as they buff teammates they build a kind of "motivation" resource. that gives them a heavy hitting ability that depletes their motivation bar in one use.

anyway this would be my iteration.
    bottom line - if everyone is solely dependent on mana it will make things unbalanced because based on classes alone some will have a larger mana pool and also could utilize the mana better for more dps.. in this structure i think summoner, mages and rouges would hold the place of strongest in pvp.

only putting rouge in because they are known to deal huge amount of damage without spending mana by simply stealthing and backstabbing and you wouldn't even know to react.
  • Options
    bottom line - if everyone is solely dependent on mana it will make things unbalanced because based on classes alone some will have a larger mana pool and also could utilize the mana better for more dps.

What are you basing this on? This hasn’t been demonstrated so far in what they’ve shown us.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    Despite all its flaws, Warhammer Online had one of the most well balanced mana/energy system I've seen. All classes used the same yellow bar as a resource to power their skills and it was tuned so well that it regenerated fast enough so you never stayed OOM for long but not fast enough so you could ignore it and spam your skills without consideration. And it was in addition to cooldowns, moral and all the other stuff.

If you managed your resources you could fight non stop, no downtimes aside from moving from one group to the other.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    bottom line - if everyone is solely dependent on mana it will make things unbalanced because based on classes alone some will have a larger mana pool and also could utilize the mana better for more dps.

What are you basing this on? This hasn’t been demonstrated so far in what they’ve shown us.

fair point, maybe im generalizing to much with other MMOs on the market. but it removes a level of enjoyment to play a warrior like you would a mage, like a ranger, like a summoner.. if there is no other element to how each class functions differently then there really isnt any aspect to master and isn't intellectually challenging. your just spamming skills in a META order like you would with any other class.. that kind of PvP is braindead and uninteresting..

for example as a tank, if the ability ultimate defense also broke stuns or roots, id rather have that dependent on rage that i need to plan ahead to have ready, then simply have it on standby ready to use at any moment with mana. even if i was caught off guard and had to watch my health drop as my rage built it would add some excitement of weather or not i can turn this fight around.
  • Options

fair point, maybe im generalizing to much with other MMOs on the market. but it removes a level of enjoyment to play a warrior like you would a mage, like a ranger, like a summoner.. if there is no other element to how each class functions differently then there really isnt any aspect to master and isn't intellectually challenging. your just spamming skills in a META order like you would with any other class.. that kind of PvP is braindead and uninteresting..

I’ll turn this around and say that if the only difference between classes is how resource management works, then the game would be a failure because then they would play the same.

I’ve played plenty of MMOs where resource management was identical between classes. I’d wager that most MMOs are like that. And it’s okay because that’s just one minor aspect of what can make them distinctive.

I’ll tell you this much… I played all 3 classes in Alpha 1 and they played very differently. I greatly favored the Mage play style over the other two (to my surprise; it was the class I was least interested in). What makes them different is the skills you have. They were different enough that I had a strong preference for one over the other.

Homogeny is probably the last thing you’ll need to worry about with Ashes. You’re going to have 8 real classes with unique skills, then each class can get a secondary class (one of 8) that adds augments to change those skills, then you have a different set of weapon skills for each weapon, and then more augments based on race and religion. There will be so much variety that I doubt having the same resource pool will matter much.

I’ll also say, too, that the classes have different ways to manage mana. The Mage I played had a spell that drained mana from enemies to help keep it up. I don’t have much experience with the other classes but they’ll probably have some totally different way to do it. While they might all have mana, if that is managed differently for different classes then they might feel like different resources.

Hhak63P.png
  • Options
    CruelCrusaderCruelCrusader Member
    edited October 2021

I’ll tell you this much… I played all 3 classes in Alpha 1 and they played very differently. I greatly favored the Mage play style over the other two (to my surprise; it was the class I was least interested in). What makes them different is the skills you have. They were different enough that I had a strong preference for one over the other.

this kinda proves my point. if as a mage you syphon my mana to replenish your own and in doing so increases my rage, you have less chance to keep me rooted and at a safe distance. it will force you to rethink your strategy. making the fight that much more interesting. where as if all i have is mana and you only need to syphon my mana to stop me from casting it decentivizes me to keep playing tank in a pvp setting. because im powerless against a mage.

(edit) everyone wants to be in power. so as i said before everyone will gravitate to MAGES, summoners and rouges. 8 or 64 or 312 variations is irrelevant. those who are easiest to be strongest with will be the favored choice by all.

the alternative is people who want to only play tank but only get destroyed whenever they play will not return to the game. they will find another game where tanks are more impactful.
  • Options
    maouwmaouw Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

this kinda proves my point. if as a mage you syphon my mana to replenish your own and in doing so increases my rage, you have less chance to keep me rooted and at a safe distance. it will force you to rethink your strategy. making the fight that much more interesting. where as if all i have is mana and you only need to syphon my mana to stop me from casting it decentivizes me to keep playing tank in a pvp setting. because im powerless against a mage.

(edit) everyone wants to be in power. so as i said before everyone will gravitate to MAGES, summoners and rouges. 8 or 64 or 312 variations is irrelevant. those who are easiest to be strongest with will be the favored choice by all.

the alternative is people who want to only play tank but only get destroyed whenever they play will not return to the game. they will find another game where tanks are more impactful.

IMO this is more a problem with most MMO's giving Tanks nothing but "threat/hate" mechanics to do tanking.
    If you want to talk legitimate skirmishing, MOBAs have lots to say: they have both tanks that use mana and tanks that don't - and these tanks are all competitively viable in a PvP team skirmish.
    I wish I were deep and tragic