Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

"You Are My Content" - Being The Challenge

2»

Comments

• Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Oh fun. Another pointed, controlled scenario.

Sounds like he can chill wherever and gets free fights. I guess you don't consider that chilling because that isn't the intent of this thread.

If he doesn't want to fight, why doesn't he chill somewhere with guards or on his freehold? In WoW, do you expect to be able to chill in a battleground?

What should i do if i want to chill under a boss but it keeps aggroing to me?

That's how you design things, you make pointed, controlled scenarios and then you make sure they don't go against your design principles.

Your sarcasm however, is still data, and still appreciated.

I'm putting you down as (A) with a side of 'didn't understand the question or chose to have an emotional response first due to assuming it was an attack on something you want'.
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    I guess you got your answers harry
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Option C sounds so cinematic hahaha! I like it c:
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited October 2021
    Azherae wrote: »

Sounds like he can chill wherever and gets free fights. I guess you don't consider that chilling because that isn't the intent of this thread.

If he doesn't want to fight, why doesn't he chill somewhere with guards or on his freehold? In WoW, do you expect to be able to chill in a battleground?

That's how you design things, you make pointed, controlled scenarios and then you make sure they don't go against your design principles.

I'm putting you down as (A) with a side of 'didn't understand the question or chose to have an emotional response first due to assuming it was an attack on something you want'.

Yes, you are supposed to bring up specific scenarios in design but you shouldn't be trying to guide the answers which this came off as. You left out pretty common answers like, leave the area for a bit or take a break from the game and instead went with the extremes of leave the spot forever or permanently quit the game.

Did I miss-interpret those answers?

How about put me down for F. go chill somewhere else for a while.
  • Options
    This interaction is kinda the idea behind pvp. Generally I have a problem when it escalates to a much higher degree than this.

The answer would depend on Harry's loss. If he had extremely rare materials on him then raising the entire node doesn't sound like a over reaction.

Generally Harry might not even care though. He might have even enjoyed it and continue hanging out at that spot to turn it into a fight club. xD
    zZJyoEK.gif

U.S. East
  • Options
    If you are Harry's Guild Leader and Harry is a quarter-map away from your Guild's usual hangouts because he likes it there, how many people will you 'spare' to protect Harry? How likely are you to devote an entire Guild War to Harry's cause? What happens if there are two 'Harry's' with the same problem in opposite directions?

5pb2tz.gif
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    AzheraeAzherae Member, Alpha One, Adventurer

Yes, you are supposed to bring up specific scenarios in design but you shouldn't be trying to guide the answers which this came off as. You left out pretty common answers like, leave the area for a bit or take a break from the game and instead went with the extremes of leave the spot forever or permanently quit the game.

The thing about being sarcastic on the internet is that it opens up the possibility for people to interpret your response to be 'whatever they consider the worst possible implication to be'. Similarly, if you have this type of dismissive reaction to everyone who has a problem with something, then that's data for me because it tells me 'how certain newcomers will be treated in an active community', at least until the demographics here change.

If you're just having this reaction because I 'write scenarios that assume extreme solutions', that's fine, I'm used to that. You do you, I did ask for representation of certain viewpoints, after all.

So far, I've found this community to be defensive, mostly implying that their view of what is fun excludes a wide section of people (perfectly fine), and dismissive of concerns both detailed and simple, to the point of being inane. Your new answer falls under the 'just chill, it's not a big deal', which I'm pretty sure is the answer type I'd get in most cases without the hyperbole. I'm glad that your life and game experience results in problems being solved by 'just leaving things alone for a bit', but for some people it is not, and I explicitly don't ask for anything to change the game.

Therefore that's the experience newcomers get. This thread itself is just one more check on those outcomes, because people are complicated and one shouldn't judge them to be 'someone who responds X way all the time'. So I gave the most lenient scenario possible, and analytics tells me what the response type received, on average, on these forums, will be, for a while.

This affects the likelihood of me recommending or playing this game post-launch, so all data is truly appreciated. Yours fits my models of you really well, so it's properly weighted. So you misinterpreted nothing. Everything, including this answer, is exactly as predicted.

I look forward to the next, but if I tell you the odds of there being a next, it will change them, so...
    Sorry, my native language is Erlang.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I look forward to the next, but if I tell you the odds of there being a next, it will change them, so...
    Tell us the changed odds then.

That is the thing with statements like this - there has to be odds of the event that are what you say they are, if you give us that number. That number could be 14,000,605 to 1, but it must exist.
  • Options
    Yours fits my models of you really well, so it's properly weighted. So you misinterpreted nothing. Everything, including this answer, is exactly as predicted.

At least we know what you look like, now:
    jigsaw-saw-5454125-350-211.jpg

"Azherae wants to play a game..."
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    bigepeenbigepeen Member
    edited October 2021
    This affects the likelihood of me recommending or playing this game post-launch, so all data is truly appreciated. Yours fits my models of you really well, so it's properly weighted. So you misinterpreted nothing. Everything, including this answer, is exactly as predicted.

According to the thorough research and observation of poster Azherae [internal ID: 004828184], the calculated p-value that the null hypothesis of this individual's [redacted] being rejected is less than 0.003596%. The new data point fits the model with a deviance of less than 0.02591% from the prediction.

The test subject's p-value and model will be adjusted depending on the following response or non-response of the test subject in any subsequent posts.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation, and please look forward to the updated report 🤡
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You are my data.
  • Options
    mcstackersonmcstackerson Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One

The thing about being sarcastic on the internet is that it opens up the possibility for people to interpret your response to be 'whatever they consider the worst possible implication to be'. Similarly, if you have this type of dismissive reaction to everyone who has a problem with something, then that's data for me because it tells me 'how certain newcomers will be treated in an active community', at least until the demographics here change.

If you're just having this reaction because I 'write scenarios that assume extreme solutions', that's fine, I'm used to that. You do you, I did ask for representation of certain viewpoints, after all.

So far, I've found this community to be defensive, mostly implying that their view of what is fun excludes a wide section of people (perfectly fine), and dismissive of concerns both detailed and simple, to the point of being inane. Your new answer falls under the 'just chill, it's not a big deal', which I'm pretty sure is the answer type I'd get in most cases without the hyperbole. I'm glad that your life and game experience results in problems being solved by 'just leaving things alone for a bit', but for some people it is not, and I explicitly don't ask for anything to change the game.

Therefore that's the experience newcomers get. This thread itself is just one more check on those outcomes, because people are complicated and one shouldn't judge them to be 'someone who responds X way all the time'. So I gave the most lenient scenario possible, and analytics tells me what the response type received, on average, on these forums, will be, for a while.

So if someone runs into this scenario and asks for a recommendation, i'm dismissive by recommending they leave the area for a while? Does that also mean i'm being dismissive if they are trying to solo a raid boss and i recommend they get a group?

You use terms like dismissive and exclude but seem to think that a game should not include open pvp since some people don't like it. The content some of us enjoy should be excluded since others don't like it. I'm not saying you are asking for a change but in your opinion, do you think games should never implement open pvp since some people don't like it? Do you think no game should ever appeal to those who enjoy it since you don't perceive them as the majority?

• Options
    DizzDizz Member
    edited October 2021
    Probably A to me, I have a solo player mind set at most of time.

I usually don't do meaningless thing, to me when the fight no longer between the ganker and me as 1v1, I will just go to other place, because in my mind the ganker is already have advantage by attack on me first and if the ganker can't realizing that plus the ganker don't have a good health pvp mind set(like we can have a chat about pvp stuff or somthing) and willing to upgrade this situation to Xv1 like a shit player and talking shit things to me, sorry I'm too old to deal with it.

Or maybe if their guide is kind of famous, I will post the whole story on some websites warning players like myself to keep an eye on this guide and their members.

This topic is similar to DPS meter discussion, these are all tools to make connections to other players, tools don't make players being toxic, toxic players are just toxic no matter what.

A casual follower from TW.

↓Good youtube channel to learn things about creating games.↓
    Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCv1DvRY5PyHHt3KN9ghunuw
  • Options
    McShaveMcShave Member
    edited October 2021
    1M0TueY.png
  • Options
    Kalv1441Kalv1441 Member
    edited October 2021
    Seems like Harry just built up his resume regarding PvP. He could use that to get himself into a pvp guild to help counter act the ganking. At the end of the day he won out 4/5 times as a solo player. You won’t be able to argue with people on the internet especially in a video game.

You can either clap back “scoreboard bro, Im a solo player and took out X players from X guild X times before being taken down. Kind of sad.” and leave it at that or you can just ignore it. No matter what Harry has a memorable experience within the game. I’m sure most people who have been in pvp games can recall a legendary experience of them doing something awesome in an MMO in open world pvp. (Vanilla WoW Tauren Mill gigantic pvp wars for me)

People will gank/grief but there seems like there will be diminishing returns for those decisions in Ashes. Like some have said, most people might be in a ganking mindset but not forever. They’ll eventually not want to anymore due to the consequences Ashes will have in store.

There doesn’t have to be a definitive answer to this situation, to me, it’s more of a number of them at all once since this kind of game will have a myriad of complexity due to content being a player driven experience at least half the time.