Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should the Mayor get a salary?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Also, don't worry, they're going to make their money via corruption, like real politicians.
  • Options
    ButtercupCloverButtercupClover Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Ironhope wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're important enough to get elected, you're realistically in the ''doing fine'' (at least) category of players anyway.

You underestimate the power of a meme candidate on the internet. Someone could be running as a joke like Vermin Supreme and have no idea what they're doing or how to keep a node stable while mayor.
  • Options
    Ironhope wrote: »
    Honestly, if you're important enough to get elected, you're realistically in the ''doing fine'' (at least) category of players anyway.

You underestimate the power of a meme candidate on the internet. Someone could be running as a joke like Vermin Supreme and have no idea what they're doing or how to keep a node stable while mayor.

How about someone who is a meme lord and fully capable of managing a node? 😎
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2022
    In L2, when we controlled a territory`s taxes, we did individual deals with selected clans that wanted to make bulk buys and save gold.

They would pay us X% (or drop a war) of what they would buy and in return we would open a window of time where we dropped the tax rate to 0%..

> we got paid, we dropped the tax rate, the guild did their bulk buy, then we raised the tax rate again.

Interested to know how much control and how frequently a mayor can control the taxes.
  • Options
    BaSkA13 wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »
    I would prefer to have a personal or guild financial benefit/return while in power, and/or something that carried past the mayoral term.

That's how you kill a game, just take a look at New World. You're a minority because most people understand what happens when you can charge other people to buy things you want.

In any case, a portion of the tax money from Castles can be used freely so for whatever reason you think zergs should be financially rewarded, there you have it.

There has been no scale given to how much this income is. Just assumptions it is high..

Correct if the salary was very high then yes, may end up like NW.. and encourage corruption.. but I see no issue whatsoever with a form of compensation for the time and effort.. if not a modest salary, then something to take away from the term as mayor as a permanent reward (item / cosmetic / trait / notoriety )
  • Options
    XuriXuri Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    The less currency the game itself injects into the hands of the player the better.

• Options
    In context, I played L2 seriously for many years, and every MMO since casually.

In L2, it took hard savings through pve and playing the market over 2-3 months, sometimes more, to buy just 1 piece of better gear.

How to make money is very much on my mind!
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    Being a Mayor is mostly the idea of being trusted enough to run something. There shouldn't be any monetary benefit to running a city as Mayor. The funds being deposited should be going towards the node, as was stated in his last stream. If there were to be any monetary benefit it would only cause issues with those people and potentially other members.
    [NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • Options

Actually I do expect streamers and other content creators to be your usual mayor.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    Mayor gets a flying mount!!
    With a level 6 node, so not something you get without some effort. Still I agree that this is a pretty nice perk since only 20 people (Max) out of thousands will have a flying mount at any given time.

The problem with a salary (say gold) is how to make it something that is useful but not OP. Also there is the scaling issue. If static, the payment would be almost certainly less impacting to the mayor a few years into the game. For this reason I say NO, at least to coin. They already have other perks.
    JustVine wrote: »
    On the one hand, I totally agree with you ButtercupClover. On the other hand it seems pretty counter to Ashes over all dev philosophy to me to not compensate some reward for the risks involved in both time, notoriety, and opportunity to gain resources.

Let us take a look at say the modern "democratic" politician... let us narrow that down to say in the US. Why do they run? Rarely is it money, at least not while they are in office. People run for power/influence, prestige, a sense of service, because they feel they can do a better job or even a mix. I think this will be just as true in AoC.

Mayors have Leadership powers.
    Mayors gain new powers and responsibilities as their node advances.[8]
    Nodes have a number of node policies that are proposed by the mayor to be voted on by citizens.[9][10]
    The mayoral title unlocks special abilities and stats during sieges or events.[11]
    Mayors are notified when their node is named on a siege declaration scroll.[12]
    Source

Now if you want to give them an outfit they can stroll around in that has a unique FX on it, I am all for that.

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    No
  • Options

As far as i recall - just the mayor of a metropolis gets a flying mount or am i wrong?
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Aeskill wrote: »

As far as i recall - just the mayor of a metropolis gets a flying mount or am i wrong?

Your recollection is correct, in addition to metropolis mayors castle owners and world boss drops will also merit a flying mount (though the drops have an expiry)
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options
    Natasha wrote: »

Your recollection is correct, in addition to metropolis mayors castle owners and world boss drops will also merit a flying mount (though the drops have an expiry)

@Natasha has there ever been any information regarding the things a Stage 5 Mayor gets?
    I suppose it wont be nothing either.
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Warth wrote: »
    Natasha wrote: »

@Natasha has there ever been any information regarding the things a Stage 5 Mayor gets?
    I suppose it wont be nothing either.

I haven't been able to find anything specific for stage 5 mayors that every mayor doesn't also get access too (node NPC's, ability to declare wars and declare enemy players, set taxes, set the node buffs and so on)
    du2ljngonyuq.png
  • Options

@TheMarten
    "Let us take a look at say the modern "democratic" politician... let us narrow that down to say in the US. Why do they run? Rarely is it money, at least not while they are in office. People run for power/influence, prestige, a sense of service, because they feel they can do a better job or even a mix. "

Criteria to be elected as a politician in a democratic society is largely to be voted in by popular vote. No qualifications necessarily required. Relatively speaking, being a politician is one of the best paid jobs for a no qualification necessarily required available.

• Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Scientifc Nodes have voting. Yes.
  • Options
    The flying mount, and decision power should be enough reward for being a mayor.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    As others have said, mayors get incentives that make being mayor worthwhile, such as the ability to utilize a flying mount (which comes with it a ton of benefits) as well as getting to choose the direction of the development of a node, which could also serve the clever and cunning mayor, should that be their goal :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    tautautautau Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    "Clever and cunning", I love that.

It does recognize the advantage that an older player, one who has succeeded in a career in a complex, bureaucratic organization, will certainly hold.

If you don't have any gray hair, best stay away from a mayoral position!