Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

General Feedback for AoC

LF42LF42 Member
edited August 2022 in General Discussion
I don't know if it was already been said before for the game's feedback but the graphic style of AoC feels too generic. There's maybe something about making the game look realistic that makes it look generic and outdated.
They should work on something more stylized like for example Riot's games universe style or World of Warcraft.

They also should add more unique races and playable races into the game. Dwarfs and Orcs are generic and overused in other games. Something like Yordles and Werewolves and Kobolds or other humanoid creatures would be really cool. Having the possibility to play as a sexy/cute character would be really good for player interactions and RP.

For the combat, some spells/attacks have too much visual effects and it's even worse when doing pvp or raids. It's hard to tell what the hell is going on because of too much visual flashy stuff and characters blending into the background.

That'd be interesting to develop the lore, we heard a lot about the node system and technical aspect of the game but it would be interesting to have more lore developement with characters, races and regions.

Comments

• Options
    Just to be sure, have you been watching footage from Alpha 1? If so, that's outdated so make sure if you comment on the game appearance it's everything they use with Unreal 5. Also:
    LF42 wrote: »
    Having the possibility to play as a sexy/cute character would be really good for player interactions and RP.

That's very generic.
    r7ldqg4wh0yj.gif
  • Options
    I personally like the graphic style and races. Besides the fact that the Tulnar is quite unique.

As for the combat visuals, you will be able to tone it down to your liking.
    Dark Knight Dummo

d681818dab4ff18eaec03b0dffa7a634.gif
  • Options
    Taleof2CitiesTaleof2Cities Member
    edited August 2022
    I don't know if it was already been said before for the game's feedback but the graphic style of AoC feels too generic.
    As one of the other replies said, @LF42, make sure you're watching footage with the latest game engine (Unreal 5). Remember this is an MMO and not a single-player RPG. So, performance has to be considered ... but without the circa 2003 graphics that you see in WoW.

They also should add more unique races and playable races into the game.
    You're probably in the small minority that doesn't want elves, orcs, or humans in the game. However, check out the unique Tulnar race when you have some downtime: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Tulnar

For the combat, some spells/attacks have too much visual effects and it's even worse when doing pvp or raids.
    The game is still in Alpha, @LF42 ... visual effects are simply a placeholder right now.

That'd be interesting to develop the lore, we heard a lot about the node system and technical aspect of the game but it would be interesting to have more lore developement with characters, races and regions.
    Good ideas but, again, the game is still in Alpha. Many of the quest design and lore development tasks are planned for later after the core systems are complete (some employees for those jobs aren't even hired yet).
  • Options
    I love where the current graphic style of AoC, they are using Unreal Engine 5 so I say milk it for all its got. I want a beautiful, breath-taking game and when I saw the seasonal display, I knew AoC got there.

I will not even play the game if they went backwards to a WoW/Wildstar graphical style. Cartoony has been done to death.
  • Options
    Sexy cute sounds like ****. We don't have and don't want **** in AoC. I would say you have Tera for that, but they've shut down as far
    Sig-ult-2.png
  • Options
    CROW3CROW3 Member
    edited August 2022
    This dwarf eats Yordles and Kobolds for brunch.

Yes. That’s right. Dwarves in Ashes have brunch, that’s called racial advancement.
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I don't really get the feedback - the graphics are looking dope especially for a mmo! If you don't want to play a generic character, just choose a Toenar ;)

I agree on the combat having too many visual effects but thats really subject to change the further it gets balanced / reworked for alpha 2. Pretty sure they heard the complaints!
  • Options
    CawwCaww Member
    no, stylized ruins a game
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    I would have to disagree. The current style of AoC is breathtaking and I feel this is very much the way Steven and the team envisioned it to be. If you're worried about having a "cute" or "sexy" character, I don't think that will be a problem. While the character creator from what we've seen is very realistic that doesn't get rid of the possibility for that type of customization. There are cute and sexy people in real life, so why in a more realistic visual style game would that not exist? If you want to look a bit different than every day human or elf, you can always look towards Tulnar, which is what I'm doing. I want something a bit more "monster-like".
    [NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited August 2022
    Personally, I'm totally neutral on stylization vs realism with graphics. I've played tons of stylized games that are beautiful, ex. World of Warcraft or Sea of Thieves.

I've also played some incredible games with realistic graphics, like Skyrim, RDR2, Cyberpunk 2077.

Content is king in most regards, but really, realism vs stylization comes down to personal preference. Game developers unfortunately can't please everyone, as those who prefer one over the other may end up disappointed.

@Taleof2Cities has a great comment here suggesting watching more recent gameplay footage. I suggest starting with the Riverlands Seasonal Tech demo here: https://youtu.be/dhvQEPuexjg

As well as reading up on each race, which you can do here: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/Races
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    i feel like there is a style to the ashes art cause i feel consistency in art style in the assets; its just more subtle instead of super stylized but art is super subjective to begin with anyway