Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Tower of Carphin - What do you want to see and expect?

2»

Comments

• Why did you have to show me this tweet lol zunrp7y65pel.png
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    This was previously mentioned, but some clarification was provided on Twitter for the Carphin livestream, which can be found here:
    :)
    community_management.gif
  • In my opinion, the pace of development has either greatly decreased or has become smeared with a very thin layer. For me, a walk around the dungeon does not carry any interesting information, it all looks like a filer. I remember how much I saw with SC where they showed us how cool the thrusters of ships work. In fact, 3 months have passed since the beginning of the year, and we can conclude that this year there is simply nothing to test in the game. At the moment, classes are being prototyped and the game world is being filled with content, which, as I understand it, is a very long process.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Some details about the dungeon.
    di8zsriowhid.png
  • Song_WardenSong_Warden Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Sounds good. I imagine fighting on the broken bridges and in the doorway lol.
    2a3b8ichz0pd.gif
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    jsmw58mu0tf2.png
    Ok, this makes me a bit hyped and somewhat hopeful. Though obviously that's just copium talking.
  • @NiKr So i wasn't on copium lets go xD
  • NiKr wrote: »
    jsmw58mu0tf2.png
    Ok, this makes me a bit hyped and somewhat hopeful. Though obviously that's just copium talking.

nope, too broad, non specifics are made to sound cool, but skirt around giving you anything REALLY cool. Cool the copium injections
  • akabearakabear Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Voxtrium wrote: »
    NiKr wrote: »
    jsmw58mu0tf2.png

broad, non specifics

That is what summaries are!
  • akabear wrote: »
    jsmw58mu0tf2.png

broad, non specifics

Combined with the confirmation from Stephen himself that they will not be giving us any detail but rather "a brief glimpse" regarding the dungeon, there is really not much too expect.

and using words/phrases like "functionality, real time sequencing and zone transitions", to describe the next livestream indicates that they won't have much to actually show us, apart from general technical information that correlates to those words.

• Voxtrium wrote: »
    akabear wrote: »
    jsmw58mu0tf2.png

broad, non specifics

Combined with the confirmation from Stephen himself that they will not be giving us any detail but rather "a brief glimpse" regarding the dungeon, there is really not much too expect.

and using words/phrases like "functionality, real time sequencing and zone transitions", to describe the next livestream indicates that they won't have much to actually show us, apart from general technical information that correlates to those words.

So you are saying they are going to show / explain nothing, or what do you mean then? If they mention this its expected that it will either be talked about or shown (not in exact detail though).
  • NiKrNiKr Member

I mean, I expected literally just seeing the dungeon from outside and listening to Steven gush about how cool its story is and smth like that. Hearing from story devs about their design direction and ways they plan on presenting that story would be great. Obviously seeing it all in detailed action would be amazing, but I'm willing to give that up as long as we get at least a detailed explanation of their plans.

p.s. for the love of god could you call him Steven and not Stephen? It's literally in the picture :D
  • NiKr wrote: »
    p.s. for the love of god could you call him Steven and not Stephen? It's literally in the picture :D

I have just been in a bad mood of late and I have become too focused on the negative parts of AOC. Gonna take a break for a few weeks so I will be less cynical.

Mag7spy wrote: »
    So you are saying they are going to show / explain nothing, or what do you mean then? If they mention this its expected that it will either be talked about or shown (not in exact detail though).

I was just being a dick, sorry.

I have just been in a bad mood of late and I have become too focused on the negative parts of AOC. Gonna take a break for a few weeks so I will be less cynical.

Mag7spy wrote: »

I was just being a dick, sorry.

No worries breaks are good at times you can can look at things with a fresh light haha. Id be in a better mood if i had a mmo with a release date right now -cough- throne and liberty.
  • I don't mind getting little sneak peaks at things. I don't want to see full runs, clears, showing bosses etc. Leave some of the Mystery. Create a desire within us to enter Carphin.. but not with the knowledge of. Turn left here. Climb these steps, don't fall there.... Leave the mystery for us to want to explore and find what it is.
  • ChicagoChicago Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Id like to see some game systems, nodes, freeholds, naval content, not really interested in a walk around of a dungeon or a reveal of a class that was available in A1 or a world boss realistically they could show the mage, tower and cyclops in one live stream but now its going to drag out over another 1/4th of a year and probably be another 8 months before we see anything remotley new, the dungeon visually looks great but super uninteresting, these are features we could play or test, please start showimg core systems zz
  • I want to see people not taking it as a finished game, and accepting it for where it is in the development cycle.

I expect to be disappointed in this regard.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

We've all got a lot riding on this game! We've all been there! When you feel the tension rising, just switch to posting amusing memes in as many threads as you can.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    Chicago wrote: »
    please start showimg core systems zz
    If what Steven said on twitter is true they will literally do that. Them explaining how their story systems will work and how POIs will function is one of the biggest core systems in the game. The success of the game will highly depend on these systems, because the majority of people care about story, their role in it and the gameplay of it.
  • SongRuneSongRune Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited March 2023
    jsmw58mu0tf2.png
    Chicago wrote: »
    please start showimg core systems zz
    If what Steven said on twitter is true they will literally do that. Them explaining how their story systems will work and how POIs will function is one of the biggest core systems in the game. The success of the game will highly depend on these systems, because the majority of people care about story, their role in it and the gameplay of it.

I feel Chicago has a perspective closer to ours. While this will be at least somewhat interesting, we're not going to feel like we've learned anything about the game's core systems. We'll get to see a lot of technical details about how they've implemented things that we already know they will have, and a good implementation of those is important to the experience, but their technical staff is competent. We already know they'll manage something acceptable, but at the end of the day, we're still going have huge open questions about all of the things Chicago mentions. Scene transitions, dynamic narrative systems, and the like are all important, but none of that matters if combat is bad, caravans have unbalanced incentive structure, the economy doesn't work, or various other core systems are unengaging.

Chicago's complaint, and ours, is that there are a ton of core gameplay systems with some very large open questions about their actual designs. That's what my group is waiting for. We want to learn about all the same things that Chicago listed, so we can figure out if this game is going be good for us. Another tech demo won't do that.
  • NiKrNiKr Member
    SongRune wrote: »
    but at the end of the day, we're still going have huge open questions about all of the things Chicago mentions. Scene transitions, dynamic narrative systems, and the like are all important, but none of that matters if combat is bad, caravans have unbalanced incentive structure, the economy doesn't work, or various other core systems are unengaging.

Chicago's complaint, and ours, is that there are a ton of core gameplay systems with some very large open questions about their actual designs. That's what my group is waiting for. We want to learn about all the same things that Chicago listed, so we can figure out if this game is going be good for us. Another tech demo won't do that.
    Yeah, I want the same stuff, which is why my first comment in this thread was very negative. And I still doubt that they'll tell/show us as much detail as I'm assuming rn. But there's a tiny chance that showing and explaining systems will start happening with this stream (mage and boss showcase being the next 2). Though obviously that's copious amounts of copium :|
  • CawwCaww Member
    Show me the eye-candy and tell me it's just the tip of the iceberg...
  • Want - evidence of gameplay mechanics that are either innovative or unique to AOC. Dungeons have traps, a lot of MMO's have that. You can prepare for, and memorize them. What about randomized events, or triggered events? I don't want them to spoil the adventure here, but if they surprise us with something new and exciting here that shows the route they're taking, I'm going to be super excited.

Expect - vivid detail, solid dungeon design, loot, UI changes? Maybe some new abilities from the played classes, maybe the AI reveals they've been teasing us with. I've come to expect really high quality stuff being presented with limited scope that suggests cool stuff that we won't see in full until the alpha 2.
  • I would like to see random generated monsters (appropiate to the area), as well as puzzles, traps, jumping puzzles. Every time to get into the dungeon it should be slightly different, rewarding those who are able to adapt on the fly.
    We have mage type enemies but with a template. In Pathfinder it's common to have templates that you apply to creatures and that makes them stronger/weaker to certain things. A Celestial Mage it's not the same as a Fiend Mage, for example. This means that players should have knowledge about what type of damage the enemy is vulnerable to or resistant to.
    The skills could be similar, but having things switch keeps you on your toes, and it means that the same comp will not be the best always. This also avoids having a "perfect composition", so players will feel more comfortable bringing different classes.
    Having traps spawn in diff places means you need to be on your toes where you go to.