Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Any adventuring experience gain removes corruption - Thoughts?

2»

Comments

• BaSkA_9x2BaSkA_9x2 Member
    edited April 2023
    If they want Corruption to be a real deterrent of PKing, Corruption should only be removed by killings mobs and, maybe, gathering resources. Killing other red players, turning in quests, processing or crafting items and waiting around for a timer to go away should not remove Corruption.
    🎶Galo é Galo o resto é bosta🎶
  • nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Only thing that should remove PvP corruption it time and death at the hands of players. If you have earned PvP courption nothing should stand in the way of the community from correcting that.
  • I'm against the majority here, I think it's fine to remove Corruption via crafting, gathering etc... I don't want it to be easy, but there should be ways to remove corruption. If not, you're going to kill a lot of the world PvP, and we know how boring a full PvE world is
  • IskiabIskiab Member
    edited April 2023
    SamSlade wrote: »
    As someone who likes PvP and is still on the fence about this game, this seems like a really positive concept; the biggest challenge most PKers will find here is the boredom of having to grind to do normal stuff. This is good for dynamic, incidental PvP and a potentially HUGE time sink for people who want to be dedicated griefers.

As someone who likes PvP and really dislikes pointless PKing this is actually pretty positive

I’ve been reading up on the game system and PvP doesn’t necessarily involve corruption.

My reading on it is resources will be region specific and trading resources between regions will be necessary for crafting. So while PvP in normal areas is discouraged with corruption, there’s no corruption for PvP at sea.

This will mean PvPers will be like pirates controlling trade. Corruption is to discourage PKing noobs, not discourage PvP.

PvP is only allowed in other areas because it’s a way to get rid of annoying players. Think instead of safe places where you aren’t allowed to PvP at all there’s corruption so it’s highly discouraged, and the seas are PvP areas.
  • SamSlade wrote: »
    As someone who likes PvP and is still on the fence about this game, this seems like a really positive concept; the biggest challenge most PKers will find here is the boredom of having to grind to do normal stuff. This is good for dynamic, incidental PvP and a potentially HUGE time sink for people who want to be dedicated griefers.

As someone who likes PvP and really dislikes pointless PKing this is actually pretty positive

Just to make it clear, the guild I'm in will be having quotas anyway. So gathering materials and stockpiling them, while working with those who store the materials can think about this. They can decide on who can go out on the field and PK for the guild, while also managing other group's corruption as a whole. Depends on how detailed and determined the guilds are to have systematic PKing. I think it is a positive for sure, just depends on how committed the red guilds are.
  • VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    NiKr wrote: »
    As long as the majority of npcs are in the center of nodes rather than in the middle of bumfuck nowhere - I'm all for this.

Any XP we gain adds to the Node's XP and prevents its decay. So, in a way, a PKer who's removing their corruption by XP gaining is helping out whichever node they're in. This could also be additionally balanced by changing values of corruption removal within different nodes (mainly "victim's node removes more").

The biggest abuse I could see with this is doing artisan stuff within your freehold's buildings. If people can just grind some random activity there and remove their corruption - it breaks the whole damn system. Maybe this is one of the reasons why we can now pvp in the footprint of our freehold.

Potential solutions to that could be complete prohibition of PKer artisanry within freeholds; always opened doors if there's a PK inside (and other people can attack PKers even within the building); or, my preferred method, withholding the XP gained within a freehold and trading it to an npc within/near a node center to remove your corruption.

That last one would probably be a bit too convoluted for most people, but I think it would counterbalance the complete risk-freedom of freehold artisanry with super high danger of going near a node center when you're red.

You bring up a few interesting talking points here!

I could see where some concerns are coming from when it comes to this mechanic. Risk vs reward is very important to us with Ashes of Creation. The corruption system will be balanced, tuned, and iterated in a way that won't allow people to circumvent the system. This will be especially important during Alpha Two, when we have many people playing with the many systems of Ashes of Creation!
    community_management.gif
  • Wrathmdva wrote: »
    Just to make it clear, the guild I'm in will be having quotas anyway. So gathering materials and stockpiling them, while working with those who store the materials can think about this. They can decide on who can go out on the field and PK for the guild, while also managing other group's corruption as a whole. Depends on how detailed and determined the guilds are to have systematic PKing. I think it is a positive for sure, just depends on how committed the red guilds are.

I wouldn't get your hopes up that "systematic PKing" is going to be a worthwhile activity in Ashes, @Wrathmdva.

Corruption is a deterrent at the individual character level ... not at the guild level.

Not to mention how tedious it is to manage players/characters with stat dampening, dropped gear, and the XP grind back to normal.

Sounds like a job and not playing the game for enjoyment.