Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

What We Like And Dislike MOST about AOC

Hello All,
Just wanted to start a discussion out of curiosity and hopefully this doubles as feedback. What do you like the most about Ashes Of Creation and/or what first inspired you to look into it, but an alpha key, or just become a fan?
Also if you have a dislike or change (even if small in nature) you want to see; what is it?
Thank You

Comments

• Options
    PlasticLemonsPlasticLemons Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    I've been following it on and off since I heard about it in '17, back then it was barely talked about.

Apocs combat got me more interested in the game.

Tulnar and the classes was enough for me to buy the alpha.

Now I am here because I enjoy the discord, people are alright in there.

Now I'm just waiting for the devs to show us what they can actually do with this hybrid system and the combat, Tulnar, and Wildblade.

• Options
    CawwCaww Member
    kinda early for something so definitive, but the Most I like about AoC is the idea of large scale sieging
  • Options
    LashingLashing Member
    edited August 2023
    The thing I like the most is the potential variety of content you can do. I hope the story arcs are long form instead of short form. So if you miss one it is months not weeks or days before it repeats again.

What I worry about the most is the enchanting system. Not because of over enchanting but because I find Long Sword +5 type systems rarely feel good to engage with. You end up in a situation where all items without + levels are useless. So your new upgrade is not an upgrade. This could be mitigated depending on how they do it though. I am hoping the +levels have no interaction with a weapons base stats. I want an enchant to have its own stats independent of the weapon or armor. So you put firebrand enchant on your weapon with however many levels then a few more with over enchanting. Make it give something like your weapon attacks flat bonus damage against burning targets. It would open up design space and allow for some more unorthodox builds. Situational effects that promote group synergies and double down on that.

I do not want to see a situation where enchanting is just base damage on a weapon because it homogenizes weapons instead of letting them fill their own niche. A flat stat increase is easier to balance as well, They do not have to worry as much about accidentally invalidating some gear because it simply does not gain as many stats from enchanting. It makes enchanting just another step you have to do instead of making you think about your character's build and other interactions. So when you get a new weapon you can change your build up a bit to make up for the lack of enchant until you level it up again.

Bit of a rant but there is not a whole lot I dislike about the current design plans. There is just a few things that I am worried about and want to test them.
  • Options
    I don't like the lighting.
    I think melee combat we have seen looks boring compared to the ranged classes we have seen.

I like everything else.
  • Options
    FantmxFantmx Member, Phoenix Initiative, Royalty, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Why are all these discord people here?
  • Options
    Like: evolving world
    Hate: the wait.
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited August 2023
    Meaningful Conflict
    Class design
    UE5 Character Creator/Race designs
    Social Org/Religion/Racial progression

Dislikes:
    Obsession with Risk v Reward
    Permanent zones with auto-flag (Corruption-free) FFA PvP

I don't want to see a change. Best to keep heading in the same direction.
  • Options
    George_BlackGeorge_Black Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited August 2023
    I am not fond of the class system.

I would prefer 15 solid classes having properly fleshed out animations, with the iconic ones (including paladin necro druid warlock warrior etc etc) and each class should have 2-4 weapon options build into them. Eg: the warrior could have skills for dualwield, two handed, spear, the knight could have greatsword, sword/shield, spear, the rogue could have bow, daggers, dualswords, plus their unique class themed buffs, CCs, situational and functional skills.

I think the whole "play as you want" premise of the 64 class-combos will lead to a tight meta of a handful viable builds. The same thing happened with eso.

When a large variety is offered the result is a narrow meta.
  • Options
    As a mage I wasn't a huge fan of AOC taking the generic mage route of playing with the elements of ice, fire, lightning. I think every other game does that. I think an elemental mage should be a subclass.

Another dislike is the restriction of flying mounts.
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Like: The Community c:
    Dislike:
    The comm...
    Hahaha almost had ya there, didn't I?. ;)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    HinotoriHinotori Member, Leader of Men, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Dislike:
    The comm...

ep5w8zktqyzf.png
    lsb9nxihx5vc.png
  • Options
    Like: The freedom of a "passion-project" to be free of P2W mechanics that the Korean games seem to worship & the Node system

Dislike: The obsession with Action-combat and free-form aiming weapons. To be clear, it doesn't *bother* me; I find Star Wars: Galaxies (Legends) to be the far-superior game over Star Wars: The Old Republic, despite the latter being newer and having the better gameplay. It's just that yours truly isn't really about the gameplay itself, so much as the content and community tools/options. Went through a phase of several months last year, trying MMO's with Action-centric combat, and have found that I by-far favor Tab-targeting-based combat, in MMO's.

• Options
    A bit early to really love or hate anything really. But I can honestly say I am tired of seeing cute and silly cosmetics. Throw the chicken-pigs and stuffed animals into a volcano.
    GJjUGHx.gif
  • Options
    Gaul_Gaul_ Member
    edited August 2023
    Like: the economy systems proposed thus far
    Dislike: Ability and weapon flashiness...a few of them are far too bright or generate a ton of ambient light. I think if you are grinding and in combat for a few hours the flashiness might wear on you unnecessarily.

PS: The ability to 'turn down graphics' doesn't resolve the issue since many of the abilities are fine and you wouldn't want to turn them down. Just like in the winter you wouldn't want to turn off the heat in an entire home if a single room was hot.
  • Options
    When it’s out as a game, I’ll edit this post with my thoughts. Everything you may like today might change next year. Everything you may hate today, you may love after testing.

Why the rush to judge?
    AoC+Dwarf+750v3.png
  • Options
    I love how integral pvp is to so much of the content. As a pvp enjoyer in MMO's, I love that there will be high competition in every aspect of the game. I love the risk vs. reward philosophy shaping this game. So many MMO's these days just forget about the pvp players, or will throw them a small bone in content updates to shut them up.

I love the class diversity, especially the addition of the Bard which seems like a class that modern MMO's avoid to adhere to the holy trinity. It seems like AoC is trying to have a soft 4th support role with Bard which i'm super excited for.

Love the goal of making artisan skills a meaningful way to progress and stay relevant at end game. A Good profession system is something I thoroughly enjoy, and many MMO's and even RPGS have this system as an afterthought.

Without playing the game it's hard to say what I dislike. The only thing I've seen that I might dislike is the ability to instantly mount up in combat. Seems like it could be an annoying feature that a lot of people will use to avoid pvp. But I know there will be ways to counter this, so will just have to wait and see.
  • Options
    Like:
    All the systems (castle system, nodes, caravans, etc)
    Large scale organized PVP (castle sieges)
    Great community. There's this one podcast I like where they discuss the game. The Voices of Ver... I can't remember the name, but it's got a chill vibe. This guy Jeff keeps commenting though...

Dislike:
    Tab target. I'd like more action oriented.
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    CROW3 wrote: »
    Everything you may like today might change next year. Everything you may hate today, you may love after testing.

Why the rush to judge?
    Yep. Everything is subject to change... and we can discuss it here.
    Especially while we are waiting to test and later to play.

• Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    The thing I like most about the game is the potential.

The thing I dislike the most is the parts of that potential left on the floor.
  • Options
    So far I am very satisfied with what I've seen.

There isn't anything I can definitely say I dislike because I have yet to play anything close to the final product to make such a decision.
    The only worries that I have revolve around the depth that each of these systems will actually reach - especially exploration. I would love for some game to finally bring back discovery and Ashes in theory has the chance to do so. The story arch system can create circumstances that make guides utterly useless beyond general advice and force people back into actually playing rather than copying what someone told them. You want that epic pickaxe from Mine XYZ? To get it one of these Nodes has to be T3, that story arch decision has to be made in this way and there has to be a Dünir Node nearby - and none of this will be told to players.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Dislike:
    The comm...

Dislike: Solvryn
  • Options
    I also dislike pseudo-intelectualls and I dislike their empty posts.
    When it’s out as a game, I’ll edit this post with my thoughts. Everything you may like today might change next year. Everything you may hate today, you may love after testing.

Why the rush to judge?

Dygz wrote: »
    Everything you may like today might change next year. Everything you may hate today, you may love after testing.

Why the rush to judge?
    Yep. Everything is subject to change... and we can discuss it here.
    Especially while we are waiting to test and later to play.

Noaani wrote: »

• Options
    :)
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    I also dislike pseudo-intelectualls and I dislike their empty posts.
    Noaani wrote: »

There was nothing "intelectual" - pseudo or otherwise - about my post. It was the sort of post my 4 year old nephew could understand just fine.

It was fairly straight forward, and was basically a summary of my feelings on the game as a whole - the game is shaping up to be a shadow of what it could be.
  • Options
    Time to get a child of your own.
  • Options
    Sounds like someone's already run out of ideas for their stream...
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    MyosotysMyosotys Member
    edited August 2023
    NyceGaming wrote: »
    Hello All,
    Just wanted to start a discussion out of curiosity and hopefully this doubles as feedback. What do you like the most about Ashes Of Creation and/or what first inspired you to look into it, but an alpha key, or just become a fan?
    Also if you have a dislike or change (even if small in nature) you want to see; what is it?
    Thank You

DISLIKE
    I don't like the fact that gear can be equiped according to your level and not to statistics and the fact that loots you will get buy killing mobs will also depend on your level.

It means that when you get something super rare, it becomes crap on the next level. It push players to rush max level without enjoying the game at every levels. Also it's bad for business/trade, as in other MMO, I liked to camp some mobs hours to get rare items only to sell it and make money (Even If I was low level, I could sell these items to HLVL players).

I don't like the archetype "Tank" that seems ridiculous.

PvP Oriented game, huge world, freedom, events, mounts, no instance.
    Most of the other mechanics, I like it.
  • Options
    i like that aoc is like l2

i dislike that i cant play yet T_T
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Sounds like someone's already run out of ideas for their stream...

Haha pretty sure you’re joking. I couldn’t believe 2.5 hours had passed during that last one.