Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Does anyone else wanna just be a nobody?

DryadezDryadez Member
edited December 2023 in General Discussion
Just curious, is anyone else excited to just be a nobody in this game? Like you're not the champion, the savior, the godkinghero... is anyone else just excited to be something as mundane as a guard... or a mercenary.... or a farmer.... etc like you don't even have to be someone who goes out and kills monsters to contribute to the success of whatever territory you commit to.

That's just amazing to me. Looking forward to being a nameless guard. Specifically a py'rai guard in a py'rai node. Where I'll actually be able to be a guard who doesn't just stand there all day every day (maybe some days) but who will actually see action by just being there and being available. No statues made in my honor, no main characters pulling me into their drama, just a nameless guard. Love it.

Comments

• Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    edited December 2023
    I expect many to say yes to this question! We did a Dev Discussion on an adjacent topic, and many players felt they wanted to "normal," or rather not "the savior" of the universe <3

Here's that Dev Discussion for ya, in case you're curious ;)https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/55231/dev-discussion-49-lore-characters/p1
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    Dryadez wrote: »
    Just curious, is anyone else excited to just be a nobody in this game? Like you're not the champion, the savior, the godkinghero... is anyone else just excited to be something as mundane as a guard... or a mercenary.... or a farmer.... etc like you don't even have to be someone who goes out and kills monsters to contribute to the success of whatever territory you commit to.

That's just amazing to me. Looking forward to being a nameless guard. Specifically a py'rai guard in a py'rai node. Where I'll actually be able to be a guard who doesn't just stand there all day every day (maybe some days) but who will actually see action by just being there and being available. No statues made in my honor, no main characters pulling me into their drama, just a nameless guard. Love it.

Yes I definitely want to not be a "savior".
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I expect many to say yes to this question! We did a Dev Discussion on an adjacent topic, and many players felt they wanted to "normal," or rather not "the savior" of the universe <3

Here's that Dev Discussion for ya, in case you're curious ;)https://forums.ashesofcreation.com/discussion/55231/dev-discussion-49-lore-characters/p1

i love that! A non-linear and flexible style nature is exactly what I think the MMORPG genre needs. I think it's the freedom of choice that is what makes osrs still so popular to this day, they just lack a dynamic and changing world to help keep things interesting in an otherwise static environment.

I love to see all the self-made character hype. Not the illusion of making your own character but abiding by the same storyline and guidelines everyone has to follow in order to progress. I think thats the direction games need to go in from now on.
  • Options
    Yes, I appreciate the focus on the fundamental aspects of gameplay. I believe the spirit of each individual player has to do with the amalgamation of fantasy and believability.
  • Options

you are the main character of your own story ;3
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Yes! I love this. I feel a lot of games and especially movies (AKA abomination called Marvel) has this weird savior complex where the main character needs to save the entire world from destruction. And it's also like this in every single Chapter in ESO.

I just want small scale stories with a rich plot where I can come in with my boujee Empyrean self and help out, but that's about it. But I don't want to be seen as "The mage who saved the world".
    m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    DryadezDryadez Member
    edited December 2023
    Yes! I love this. I feel a lot of games and especially movies (AKA abomination called Marvel) has this weird savior complex where the main character needs to save the entire world from destruction. And it's also like this in every single Chapter in ESO.

I just want small scale stories with a rich plot where I can come in with my boujee Empyrean self and help out, but that's about it. But I don't want to be seen as "The mage who saved the world".

Same, like I don't mind contributing to something major... just don't build a statue in my honor because I killed a few goblins and then went afk for a minute to go check on dinner before returning to my post. Throw some coinage my way and ill be on my way.
  • Options
    There is a story to the game to some degree. It's got the traditional pantheon of gods being good and bad, celestial planes, ethereal planes, the void and a power source that connects them all.
  • Options
    darthadendarthaden Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    You people can save yourselves from whatever threat Vera has, I'll be too busy trying to become rich being the go to guy for whatever crafting or processing skill I decide to go with.....I'll be happy to sell you the goods to save yourself though.
  • Options
    darthaden wrote: »
    You people can save yourselves from whatever threat Vera has, I'll be too busy trying to become rich being the go to guy for whatever crafting or processing skill I decide to go with.....I'll be happy to sell you the goods to save yourself though.

Sounds like a precursor to extortion lol
  • Options

Don't worry, I'll be the hero that becomes a superhero that becomes a god and legend, for you.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    Everyone is a hero just by walking through the portal.
    If you really wanted to be a nobody, you would have stayed on Sanctus.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »

Some poor people are being pushed through... And you know those who become corrupted through pvp they actually escaped from prison and sneaked through the portal to escape authorities.
  • Options
    I don't want to be the hero they want, I want to be the hero they don't need.
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited December 2023
    Yeah playing as a normal nobody suits me fine. I am a hero and saviour in real life. I want to play something different in the game. That's also why I pretty much never play humans in games if I have a choice.
  • Options
    Nerror wrote: »
    Yeah playing as a normal nobody suits me fine. I am a hero and saviour in real life. I want to play something different in the game. That's also why I pretty much never play humans in games if I have a choice.

Would have been funnier if you'd said that's why you always play humans.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    NerrorNerror Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    daveywavey wrote: »

Would have been funnier if you'd said that's why you always play humans.

Dammit, I totally missed that one didn't I? :D
  • Options
    Raven016 wrote: »
    Some poor people are being pushed through... And you know those who become corrupted through pvp they actually escaped from prison and sneaked through the portal to escape authorities.
    Sanctus does not have Corruption.
    Escaping from prison does not mean a person cannot also be a hero.
  • Options
    I personally also do not like the "savior" trope because it has little meaning in an MMORPG. I noticed that in World of Warcraft, when they suddenly started to give my characters a fancy title... that then my twinks also got... and everyone else that just levelled through the story. It just doesn't work when every single player on the server is the "champion of the Alliance/Horde" or "the last hope for this world" the title becomes meaningless and unintentionally meaningless. I liked how in the earlier expansions we "only" became part of elite troops of the respective factions and in the final dungeons we were their, as part of the group that supported the main story characters.

And returning to that perspective is what I hope to get in Ashes again.
    The answer is probably >>> HERE <<<
  • Options

You don't know what my character was doing before the portal and you don't know my intentions after stepping through the portal. That's the beauty of this game, you can't call me a hero if my character is a pirate, jumping peaceful players in the ocean to steal their cargo. This game gives us options
  • Options
    Sanctus does not have Corruption.
    Escaping from prison does not mean a person cannot also be a hero.

I wouldn't like to meet such potential heroes during night on dark streets... Desire to kill others to take their stuff existed on both sides of the gate. Corruption could potentially be good in a future expansion if the Others win some battles against the Seven. Fewer players might play at that time.
  • Options
    Sometimes the hero you get isn't always the hero you wanted or needed.
  • Options
    I look forward to just being another person inhabiting this world.
  • Options
    Of course! A simple trader, a breadwinner, a researcher of the world. Who just lives in Verra, and does not rush to power, to the best stuff, to the top of the PvP rating, in many ways gets more pleasure from the game than people, who ignore the living component of the world for the sake of level numbers, shining armor, first place in the achievement table.
  • Options
    You don't know what my character was doing before the portal and you don't know my intentions after stepping through the portal. That's the beauty of this game, you can't call me a hero if my character is a pirate, jumping peaceful players in the ocean to steal their cargo. This game gives us options
    Doesn't really matter. Walking through the portal is considered to be a heroic act - by the game lore.
    The people who travel to Verra are considered to be heroes, rather than nobodies...
    Might be able to be a nobody if you are a Tulnar who stays in the Underrealm....
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I wouldn't like to meet such potential heroes during night on dark streets... Desire to kill others to take their stuff existed on both sides of the gate. Corruption could potentially be good in a future expansion if the Others win some battles against the Seven. Fewer players might play at that time.
    Yep. Same could be said about many real life heroes committing one heroic act - and being someone other than a nobody does not inherently mean that individual hero is a saint who will never commit a heinous act.
  • Options

Reminded me of this :D

houses-and-humans.jpg
    Be bold. Be brave. Roll a Tulnar !
  • Options
    Nobody will want to be a mayor and fly a dragon?
    Or at least own a freehold?
  • Options
    Doesn't really matter. Walking through the portal is considered to be a heroic act - by the game lore.
    The people who travel to Verra are considered to be heroes, rather than nobodies...
    Might be able to be a nobody if you are a Tulnar who stays in the Underrealm....

poor tulnars xDDD
  • Options
    Nobody will want to be a mayor and fly a dragon?
    Or at least own a freehold?

I have 0 desire to be a mayor, and even less to fly. I don't particularly like the idea of flying in these kinds of games. I personally feel it takes away from alot of the ground work that was put into it and just kind of is like activating god mode travel services.