Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Data Obscurity in Ashes

SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
How much data does a person think they should be able to see or hide in the case of Ashes? What side of the fence are you on when it comes to obscuring others access to data.

Would you like to be able to hide your Health/Mana from other players?

Would you like to be able to hide the armor you're using from other players?

Would you even like to be able to hide the organizations you're in from other players?

Do you think you should be able to hide what gear sets you're wearing from other players, instead of the icon showing what kind of gear you're wearing?

Would you like an elaborate fog of war system within the game so you cannot tell who is who at a distance?

How do you feel about player inspection systems?

Comments

• Options
    Having some Anonymous settings while out of combat would be fine but not during active PvP
  • Options
    Solvryn wrote: »
    How much data does a person think they should be able to see or hide in the case of Ashes? What side of the fence are you on when it comes to obscuring others access to data.

Would you even like to be able to hide the organizations you're in from other players?

Do you think you should be able to hide what gear sets you're wearing from other players, instead of the icon showing what kind of gear you're wearing?

Would you like an elaborate fog of war system within the game so you cannot tell who is who at a distance?

1- yes
    2- no
    3- dont care
    4- no
    5- you could still click them and see their target, unless they make it so that you cant. but no, i wanna see who is coming from afar.
    6- no, never. eww.
  • Options
    Would like to be able to hide your nameplate for content creation purposes.

I’m a fan of gear inspection that can be toggled on/off
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited December 2023
    Health and Mana should be visible based on settings unless a target is far away, or if you don't have direct line of sight allowing for tactical gameplay like setting up an ambush or hiding.

Hiding armor type should not be possible because it impacts gameplay negatively, specifically PvP. By all means transmog your gear, but it should be a piece from the same armor class. Having zero restrictions on Costumes/Cosmetic gear is as silly as allowing a player to transmog a dagger with a 2 handed sword or even a sword with a staff.

Hiding your Guild no, but it won't matter because people can get around this by temporarily leaving their Guild or creating an alt.

Fog of war on the map only. If there are obstructions to vision it should be from certain class abilities, natural fog or darkness due to the time of day or location such as a cave or a crypt.

Inspecting should have a toggle on/off from the character menu.
  • Options
    See nothing but name and gear (or the damn icons in AoC's case).
  • Options
    No hide. No FoW. Inspection is ok.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Voeltz wrote: »
    Health and Mana should be visible based on settings unless a target is far away, or if you don't have direct line of sight allowing for tactical gameplay like setting up an ambush or hiding.

That's apart of a Fog of War systems.
    Hiding armor type should not be possible because it impacts gameplay negatively, specifically PvP. By all means transmog your gear, but it should be a piece from the same armor class. Having zero restrictions on Costumes/Cosmetic gear is as silly as allowing a player to transmog a dagger with a 2 handed sword or even a sword with a staff.

I don't think this is the case, I can figure out who's wearing what by damaging them.
    Hiding your Guild no, but it won't matter because people can get around this by temporarily leaving their Guild or creating an alt.

I think its fine for Rogues.
    Fog of war on the map only. If there are obstructions to vision it should be from certain class abilities, natural fog or darkness due to the time of day or location such as a cave or a crypt.

But you described actual Fog of War on your first response whether you realized it or not.
    Inspecting should have a toggle on/off from the character menu.

My gears mine, it's not anyones business what I'm wearing besides the people I run with and myself.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    I'll answer my own questions too, for the sake of conversation.

I'm pro obscuring data, the only thing that needs to be visible to others is my nameplate and health/mana %

Health and Mana numbers shouldn't be visible to anyone but yourself, your guild, and those you are in direct party with.

Pro transmog, I've been mmoing long enough to figure out whos wearing what within a few button presses.

This would be good for rogues/assassins[/quote]

I do not personally need that icon to figure out whos who. I can tell by their position on the field and what their skills will do to what class they are then can tell what armor bonus they have by the damage they take

Yes, fog of war is a great mechanic in PvP and allows high strategic and tactical gameplay.

Theres no need, take a screen shot and update your information manually for your guild if they require it.
  • Options
    VoeltzVoeltz Member
    edited December 2023
    That's apart of a Fog of War systems.
    Is it though? Even if you can still see the enemy clearly from far away? I thought FOW referred to the actual fog that limits your view distance and prevents you from having permanent vision on all your surroundings or map. Only played RTS games that have it, don't think I've seen it used in a 3rd person game. What I don't like is being unable to hide behind a rock or a wall without your nameplate/character information giving away your position.
    don't think this is the case, I can figure out who's wearing what by damaging them.
    Yeah you can with added steps, through attacking the wrong targets or added UI elements. That's impacting gameplay negatively.

I think its fine for Rogues.
    Yeah, maybe they'll have a disguise ability that hides everything about them while out of combat, who knows. I'm saying in general everyone should not be able to hide important information about themselves whenever they want.
    My gears mine, it's not anyones business what I'm wearing besides the people I run with and myself.
    Then toggle it off. Many people like having the option.
  • Options
    Concealing your name, armor type and level from a distance and reducing visibility further during nighttime, rain, or fog sounds like a great idea.

Teh full gear inspection might be excessive, but it is important in party scenarios, especially during raids where specific roles are crucial. Perhaps there could be an option to accept the full gear inspection in such situations.
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    Concealing your name, armor type and level from a distance and reducing visibility further during nighttime, rain, or fog sounds like a great idea.

Teh full gear inspection might be excessive, but it is important in party scenarios, especially during raids where specific roles are crucial. Perhaps there could be an option to accept the full gear inspection in such situations.

("Player" is requesting to inspect you)
    ACCEPT / DENY
  • Options

Name, Guild, Level.

Nothing more.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options
    Vyril wrote: »

ACCEPT / DENY

("Player" is requesting to see your tattoos)
    Haggle / Kick and Flag
  • Options

ACCEPT / DENY

noo this is abusable in pvp xD its like trade requests lol
  • Options
    VyrilVyril Member
    edited December 2023
    Depraved wrote: »

ACCEPT / DENY

noo this is abusable in pvp xD its like trade requests lol

You can do (Block Inspect Requests).

Lots of games have this for guild, trade, and party invites. Which will possibly have the same PvP implications.

Also not allowed in combat etc.
  • Options
    DiamahtDiamaht Member, Braver of Worlds, Alpha One
    edited December 2023

No to all of those. Less data leads to less pvp, not more. You should have some idea at a glance what a fight will be like, so you can make quick decisions. You need information for that.

If players can hide everthing, people will be over cautious about starting a fight. We want conflict to actually happen.
  • Options
    Diamaht wrote: »

No to all of those. Less data leads to less pvp, not more. You should have some idea at a glance what a fight will be like, so you can make quick decisions. You need information for that.

If players can hide everthing, people will be over cautious about starting a fight. We want conflict to actually happen.

I don’t need much data to win my fights. Not in the last 20 years of PvPing.

• Options

Well thats good, but you have to apply it to the playbase at large.

I think you guys are seeing this from the angle of how you would use it to your advantage. That's fine, but it doesn't encourage folks who are not as eager to pvp, to pvp. If anything, lack of information acts as a barrier to entry.
  • Options

I think you guys are seeing this from the angle of how you would use it to your advantage. That's fine, but it doesn't encourage folks who are not as eager to pvp, to pvp. If anything, lack of information acts as a barrier to entry.

That's not how it works. Even if it did, that same playerbase would always be to scared to PvP anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

That's not how it works. Even if it did, that same playerbase would always be to scared to PvP anyway.

That's definitely how it works. Think about why they don't want to pvp and erase those barriers.

The more hard core and inaccessible you make it the fewer people you will see fighting.

Edit: At the very least gear type should be made obvious. I don't want to see everyone running around in transmog dresses to cover up their full plate armor.
  • Options
    That's definitely how it works. Think about why they don't want to pvp and erase those barriers.

Players who actively don't want to PvP generally don't want to because they're either bad at it or everyone else is better at it. Being able to instantly see how much better everyone else around them is isn't going to encourage them to do it more.

Why do you need it to be so easy? Make us think, don't spoon-feed us.
    This link may help you: https://ashesofcreation.wiki/
  • Options

It all depends on how well the game manages to convey a general information of health and gear. If it doesnt work properly, if all the cosmetics causes confusion in PvP, then an inspection system is needed.

Otherwise I dont mind a lack of inspection system. When it comes to PvE its another unnecessary tool for elitists to be elitist.

Kindof indifferent to fog of war. Might add, be interesting, or just might be balls, annoying and unnecessarily confusing in PvP.

Dont think you should ever let people hide their guild tags or similar. Cant think of anything it would add except trolling.
  • Options
    daveywavey wrote: »
    Make us think, don't spoon-feed us.

I'd like to blow this up a thousand times. People who want easy PvP love being spoon-fed data.
  • Options

I'd like to blow this up a thousand times. People who want easy PvP love being spoon-fed data.

Are we here to have fun playing a video game or are we here trying to prove something?
  • Options

Are we here to have fun playing a video game or are we here trying to prove something?

My fun is mastery and a challenge.
  • Options
    If you have the ability to see other`s people gear details, there should be also an option to make the gear private, just for the rest as HP or anything else... I'm against it
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    Another interesting question that could be added is if the answer is yes to any of the OP questions; how would you enact that? Would it be a toggle, setting, something to earn, etc? :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    DripyulaDripyula Member
    edited December 2023
    I am okay with people being able to have a look at other peoples achievements.
    What I want to be hidden until locked on is the very highlighting of a players name.
    Giving the stealth element another boost.

If there is no visual camoflague then let there be at least a punishment for sleeping on the visual job.
    People do not deserve to find other people easily by just looking at a name hovering over someone.
    Since Sea of Thieves I have gotten very comfy with the ability to hide in plain sight.
    But in SoThieves it is only possible due your own name not getting rendered when you are in a hide-emote.
    6h4yddoh6t31.jpg
  • Options
    Vaknar wrote: »
    Another interesting question that could be added is if the answer is yes to any of the OP questions; how would you enact that? Would it be a toggle, setting, something to earn, etc? :)

1. In Asherons Call we had “Deception” which counter skill-passive was “Assessment”, an attempt to deceive function could be implemented into Ashes so players can hide their stats away from others so it works within the game. That’s an appropriate way to hide flat numbers from other players without being too much of a disruption to the game. The counter to that would be an assessment function that allows players counter check the attempt to deceive.
    2. Using the attempt to deceive function, it would also include the “Armor” icon that allows players to transmog and completely obscure it from other players.
    3. Also attempt to deceive when it comes to organizational data, though this is more appropriate to be expanded upon within the Rogue/Thief archetype.
    4. See 2. A vanity system will exist within Ashes.
    5. A Fog of War system would be a maximum distance draw that players can visually assess any data on a player till they’re within a set visual range.
    6. I think inspection systems shouldn’t be in the game at all, however if they are. Allow players to check who can inspect their gear. Randoms, Allies, Guild, Party; etc.
  • Options
    renadedanterenadedante Member, Intrepid Pack
    edited December 2023

I don't have hugely strong opinions on any of these except for inspecting. All this leads to is toxic people using it to allow or not allow people into their groups for pve content. Or pvpers checking gear to see if they're able to beat someone off gear alone. If you want to pvp someone, you're taking a chance in that fight when you initiate. Now, appearance wise, you may be able to tell what gear they are wearing by appearance and that is fine, I just don't feel inspection as a tool is a good thing overall. I guess if it was a needed thing maybe it should be guild only, or something you have to agree to.

Health and mana will most likely be viewable regardless, I don't care either way personally. We already know that you can have skins over your armor so you technically can hide what you're wearing. Organization wise, I think it's fun to allow items to hide it for a bit, but idk how far that should go. I don't feel any particular way fog of war wise.

[NA] Pandemonium| PVE focused | RP PVX | Tulnar | Divine Node
    Come check us out!