Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

another post about fire arms and how they could be implemented....

2»

Comments

• Options
    When I read the topic I just thought "please, be a short post and please do not have videos attached"

Anyway, flitlocks use gunpowder, and I am very saw there's no powder in the game, the game will likely stick to other kinds of mixtured chemicals
    PvE means: A handful of coins and a bag of boredom.
  • Options
    edited February 19
    fenn1539 wrote: »
    plenty of reasons to find ways to kill things better and faster as well as easier in the moment at least especailly since MOST people wont be mages or able to even use magic .

So your argument here is not guns, it is to kill things "better" and "faster".
    "MOST people won't be mages or able to even use magic" Most spells/skills in Ashes, no matter what class use magic... Recent Ranger showcase is a good example showing a non-mage using magic as a Ranger.

May want to look for a different game that fits your playstyle. Guns will not be present and never will, everyone on here agrees, even the developers. You're beating a dead horse on this topic.

m6jque7ofxxf.gif
  • Options
    LinikerLiniker Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    edited February 19
    reason I wouldn't want firearms in a high fantasy setting is I enjoy classic D&D and Tolkien settings, would like an MMO with that experience, which is what AoC is doing, when I see someone walking around with a rifle just feels stupid to me inside that setting,

also, guns gives me bad memories from steampunk/korean games with gunner classes that are terribly balanced + all the students/police/bikini cosmetics and anime **** races that they usually come with. Overall just not a vibe I want on my MMO.
    img]
    Recrutamento aberto - Nosso Site: Clique aqui
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    why pray tell in a game that will play out more like a civilization and realistic type world, would a historical fiction fantasy not be the better choice for both role playing options which more is never bad in a rpg and also from a gameplay standpoint cause more options to make your builds makes it more fun to really be able to make YOUR OWN unique build that perhaps no one else has even thought of yet?
    What? Ashes is a High Magic Fantasy setting.
    What makes you think that Verra is a "realistic type world"???
    In the lore, Sanctus has "no magic" - and even Sanctus is not a "realistic type world".
  • Options
    DygzDygz Member, Braver of Worlds, Kickstarter, Alpha One
    edited February 19
    thats where your wrong. in a world where you have monsters and bandits and hell, the corruption of evil elder gods around every damn corner, there is plenty of reasons to find ways to kill things better and faster as well as easier in the moment at least especailly since MOST people wont be mages or able to even use magic so no duh that amoung say fighters, plenty if it were a real world would love a ranged option they wouldnt have to sink time into to give them a way to do damage at range very quickly and meaningfully even if its heavily limited in use and ESPECIALLY the common people who live their day to day like normal people rather than adventerers.
    What you describe above is an MMO Shooter in a Low Magic Fantasy setting.

Ashes is an MMO RPG in a High Magic Fantasy setting.
    Technically every player character on Verra is some form of magic-user.
    Even Fighters will use magic to make their combat speed faster.

In multiplayer RPGs, combat needs to be slow enough for players to RP working together to shore up the weaknesses and enhance the strengths of the other Classes in their group to defeat the challenges they face.
    Combat is not intended to be as fast as combat in a Shooter, like Call of Duty.

If any type of "firearm" were to be added to Ashes with an expansion - it would be a portable Potion Launcher "firing" potions.
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    nanfoodle wrote: »
    Pls, no guns. Would be even happy if ships had no cannons. Instead a magical option for range weapons. Just can't stand the constant bang, bang sound when you play chars that use guns. I would rather pure fantasy.

firstly i would like to appluad you for being LITERALLY the first person to actually state why even having guns in the game would be too obtrusive for your style you would prefer the game to be. i mean this quite genuinly but THANK YOU for actually stating your opinion AND adding your reasoning. i will however state that that is a poor reason in light of how ashes will be customizable as im sure especially in light of your POV, the suggestion could be made to make it so cannons and firearms could have their own slider in the audio tab to turn them down or even off if you like. everything about at least the ui and vfx are supposed to be adjustable so why not the sfx as well? infact i will add that as a suggestion in my original post in this thread cause thats a good idea regardless of if guns are added or not.

I think your your reasons for adding it is at best a personal preference that has no valid place in Ashes. Ashes has a direction that is pure fantasy. I don't thank you for putting this forward. There are many games out there that do not do pure fantasy. I hope this and any thread like it gets buried by the much support this game has for the direction of the lore. There is no need for gun powered when magic is so prevalent. Everyone has access to mana. Even melee classes will access mana to shape their skills.
  • Options
    imo Future weapons/armor/tech advancements should only be found by 1 time discoveres in the world via events, like there a world wide puzzle to complete which leads u to a door in a certain dungeon that if u figured out the riddle from hints to have the key to open it and that miught unlock crossbows recipe for your node citizens and eventually spread to everyone around the world just gives the person who discovered the node a little headstart on using it for a bit of time ;P this may lock out other tech aswell so each server advancments might be different
  • Options
    mobtekmobtek Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    Nope they fit in NW, they don't fit in AoC, why would Verrans develop gunpowder tech when we have magic booms? :)
  • Options
    AnimusRex wrote: »

i already responded to pretty much the same comment above but i will say to you, did you read the fucking main post? i literally stated that i explicitly knew stevens stance and that this is not the first time i have made a discussion like this so i fucking know.... please fucking read the post before commenting cause its only more annoying each time to haveta correct people who clearly didnt even bother to give me that curtesy before saying dumb shit....

Guy wants firearms in his fantasy game.

Guy gets angry at those who disagree.

Guy probably needs a RL psych evaluation and new keyboard.

yea cause i play dnd and im only getting angry at this point because people arent fucking reading my post and saying shit that i already adressed in the original post if they just decided to read the damn thing as they complain im telling em to watch a video instead of read showing their either lack reading comprehension skills or are being blatantly ignorant and not caring about having an actual disscusion. as for a psych eval and keyboard, nice ad homenim my guy...
  • Options
    Noaani wrote: »
    because its the version of this that doesnt involve having to read through my terrible writing .

So, learn how to use some basic sentence structure.

I mean, your entire OP can be restated as "I'd like to see wands sometimes take the form of guns, because reasons".

theres a big difference, unless you are of the opinion that likely crossbows is like saying 'i want bows but that look like guns' as well which is weird cause crossbows are high fantasy stuff
    Crossbows - if done properly - should have a different trajectory to a bow, different armor penitration at different ranges, and a different (character) learning curve. One is suited to being a primary weapon, the other is suited to being a secondary weapon.

The guns you are suggesting offer up an alternative to magic, but it's basically just the same thing. All you are trying to do is turn everyone in to a caster.

Since we all have the option to spec in to magic if we want to do so, a character that opts to not spec that way should not have an alternative avenue to the same kind of thing. If you opt to not have a build with magic, you opt to not have a build with those options.

sure, there can be a big difference like that but even that isnt that hard as you already pretty much summed up whats different between a bow and crossbow balance wise leaving it to simple number tuning during some simple tests (ik that crossbows arent gettting added for launch at least anymore but im just saying this as a hypothetical) and you can make sure the numbers let it feel different but not outshine its competitors. its really not that hard as long as you stick to basic concepts my guy....
  • Options
    NiKr wrote: »
    first thing, a weapon added via an expansion for a rpg doesnt need to be GOOD by any means
    So you just want to add a bad weapon to the game, got it.
    long reloads with expensive ammo and poor accuracy through the evasion system where attacks can miss to force gunners to have to be mid range AT MOST to be effective.
    So you want a super slow, super expensive, super unreliable RANGED weapon THAT'S SHIT AT RANGE :D

Holy hell that's definitely one of the suggestions of all time. Amazing design. Super fun. Definitely should be added.

their benefit would be similar to what their use was irl, siege warfare and in general, larger scale battles against either targets so big you cant really miss OR against large groups of people so big you cant miss with REALLY high damage and armor pen as they would be a team weapon requiring tanks to ensure the gunners stay safe in their reload and can get close enough to be in their effective range without worry of getting shreded by melee fighters.
  • Options
    Arya_Yeshe wrote: »
    When I read the topic I just thought "please, be a short post and please do not have videos attached"

Anyway, flitlocks use gunpowder, and I am very saw there's no powder in the game, the game will likely stick to other kinds of mixtured chemicals

*heavy sigh* and the guy earlier wondered why i was getting so worked up when people like you show that ya didnt read the post and the suggetions for magical runes powered by mana crystals that break acting like a primer cap for the the gunpowder substitute of fire runes... i think your agreeing that guns could be cool also but im not sure so some clearification would be cool. ;D
  • Options
    plenty of reasons to find ways to kill things better and faster as well as easier in the moment at least especailly since MOST people wont be mages or able to even use magic .

So your argument here is not guns, it is to kill things "better" and "faster".
    "MOST people won't be mages or able to even use magic" Most spells/skills in Ashes, no matter what class use magic... Recent Ranger showcase is a good example showing a non-mage using magic as a Ranger.

May want to look for a different game that fits your playstyle. Guns will not be present and never will, everyone on here agrees, even the developers. You're beating a dead horse on this topic.

first things first, this is the pre alpha phase still, they already said and have plenty of people who have gone on length about how each class should have its own resource and not just be the general 'SKILL CASTING RESOURCE' type thing we have now with what we have now is likely only a result of the fact that they arent even done with all the classes or even have them up to max level with at least THEIR OWN augments ready for themselves to use. beyond that, my argument is that in a world of magic where mind you im talking about more than just the players if you would bother to fucking read my comment where i literally went on length about farmers not wanting hard to learn methods of protection from literal constant murading bandits and fucking giant monsters like a sword or bow or even a crossbow if they can afford the gun with a simple to use after preperation weapon like a gun would be something you would not only likely be not totally unexpected but in such a world as verra, it would be downright unexpected for something akin to firearms but using the benefits of magic to NOT exist especially since i also mentioned how city governments would LOVE to have these to arm their probably conscripted city guards who may or may not be too skilled on their own even if guns in the hands of those who dont understand the runes that work em would still only be so strong when compared to say a player fighter at max levels strength.
  • Options
    NoaaniNoaani Member, Intrepid Pack
    sure, there can be a big difference like that but even that isnt that hard as you already pretty much summed up whats different between a bow and crossbow balance wise leaving it to simple number tuning during some simple tests (ik that crossbows arent gettting added for launch at least anymore but im just saying this as a hypothetical) and you can make sure the numbers let it feel different but not outshine its competitors. its really not that hard as long as you stick to basic concepts my guy....
    The differences I talked about between a bow and crossbow aren't balance differences, they are concept differences.

If balance is what you want to talk about - where is the balance in handing a portion of what a magic user can do to someone that specifically opted to not take a magic using class in their build?

If someone with a melee primary wants some magical effects, they should take mage as a secondary.
  • Options
    Liniker wrote: »
    reason I wouldn't want firearms in a high fantasy setting is I enjoy classic D&D and Tolkien settings, would like an MMO with that experience, which is what AoC is doing, when I see someone walking around with a rifle just feels stupid to me inside that setting,

also, guns gives me bad memories from steampunk/korean games with gunner classes that are terribly balanced + all the students/police/bikini cosmetics and anime **** races that they usually come with. Overall just not a vibe I want on my MMO.

fair but firstly, dnd literally has the artificer and firearms as a notable part of its mainline lore..........
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCFS6lPrUaE this is a breakdown of percy de rolo, a character played by talisin from critical role who LITERALLY INVENTED the gun in his world and after the campaign ended, his firearms began to be adopted all over the world of tal dorei for primarily city guards for the exact reason i mentioned. sure its not tolkien high fantasy and ultimately we can go back and forth on that one saying 'historical fantasy is better! no high fantasy is better! no high ficit-' but i prefer to leave it at the points i have made for historical fantasy as i feel it makes for a more immersive and realistic feeling world thats not just a backdrop setting thats pointless but is its own realistic world full of REAL people in the vein of brandon sandersons definition of REAL worlds and characters. basically im coming at this from a writers pov as i find high fantasy to be a bit lazy on the writing front and the second video i linked sums up that point if ya wanna give it a watch that saying you care which ya dont haveta if you dont wanna.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    why pray tell in a game that will play out more like a civilization and realistic type world, would a historical fiction fantasy not be the better choice for both role playing options which more is never bad in a rpg and also from a gameplay standpoint cause more options to make your builds makes it more fun to really be able to make YOUR OWN unique build that perhaps no one else has even thought of yet?
    What? Ashes is a High Magic Fantasy setting.
    What makes you think that Verra is a "realistic type world"???
    In the lore, Sanctus has "no magic" - and even Sanctus is not a "realistic type world".

the general flow of how they want the content of the game to work being so realistic as cities will be built up and have entire histories of wars over resources and over land to grow and how the world quest lines will work being so orgainic and aimed at making them feel like a real world that we all are just experiencing as it goes along as well as the general art style mixed with me simply saying my take on a possible direction on that very general front of overall theme with again, i find high fantasy to be a writers easy way out rather than having to acutally bother to make their worlds feel REAL and having to actually think them out at all.
  • Options
    Dygz wrote: »
    thats where your wrong. in a world where you have monsters and bandits and hell, the corruption of evil elder gods around every damn corner, there is plenty of reasons to find ways to kill things better and faster as well as easier in the moment at least especailly since MOST people wont be mages or able to even use magic so no duh that amoung say fighters, plenty if it were a real world would love a ranged option they wouldnt have to sink time into to give them a way to do damage at range very quickly and meaningfully even if its heavily limited in use and ESPECIALLY the common people who live their day to day like normal people rather than adventerers.
    What you describe above is an MMO Shooter in a Low Magic Fantasy setting.

Ashes is an MMO RPG in a High Magic Fantasy setting.
    Technically every player character on Verra is some form of magic-user.
    Even Fighters will use magic to make their combat speed faster.

In multiplayer RPGs, combat needs to be slow enough for players to RP working together to shore up the weaknesses and enhance the strengths of the other Classes in their group to defeat the challenges they face.
    Combat is not intended to be as fast as combat in a Shooter, like Call of Duty.

If any type of "firearm" were to be added to Ashes with an expansion - it would be a portable Potion Launcher "firing" potions.

dude im not saying guns should even come close to being the whole thing so i have no clue where your getting 'its a mmo shooter!' from as im saying the sort of world tal dorei from critical roles dnd campaign became where guns are something VERY wealthy or industrial towns might have or very rich nobles or pirates looking for easy methods to have quick easy to use ranged weapons. like srly i have no clue how you jumped to me saying i want ashes to be like fucking call of duty... beyond that you clearly didnt read my fucking comment or you woulda known im vouching for HISTORICAL FANTASY or in other words, fantasy in low to even high fantasy levels but ignoring tropes that would restrict things like natural invetions from coming about or being a part of it at all like guns which mind you, gun powder was made in 900 bc and the first guns were made in 1000 bc even if they didnt really catch on till around the 1600s due to a lack of a over bearing need for them until they developed into matchlocks with at that point their benefits began to HEAVILY outweigh the cons in a general sense where they were still only a side thing alongside pikes, sabers, and even bows and crossbows for a while until society advanced enough and the design of firearms also advanced enough that they could be mass produced on higher levels around the 1700s.
  • Options
    Pls, no guns. Would be even happy if ships had no cannons. Instead a magical option for range weapons. Just can't stand the constant bang, bang sound when you play chars that use guns. I would rather pure fantasy.

firstly i would like to appluad you for being LITERALLY the first person to actually state why even having guns in the game would be too obtrusive for your style you would prefer the game to be. i mean this quite genuinly but THANK YOU for actually stating your opinion AND adding your reasoning. i will however state that that is a poor reason in light of how ashes will be customizable as im sure especially in light of your POV, the suggestion could be made to make it so cannons and firearms could have their own slider in the audio tab to turn them down or even off if you like. everything about at least the ui and vfx are supposed to be adjustable so why not the sfx as well? infact i will add that as a suggestion in my original post in this thread cause thats a good idea regardless of if guns are added or not.

I think your your reasons for adding it is at best a personal preference that has no valid place in Ashes. Ashes has a direction that is pure fantasy. I don't thank you for putting this forward. There are many games out there that do not do pure fantasy. I hope this and any thread like it gets buried by the much support this game has for the direction of the lore. There is no need for gun powered when magic is so prevalent. Everyone has access to mana. Even melee classes will access mana to shape their skills.

omfg for fucks sakes, fucking read the god damned posts before you..... I GO INTO GREAT DETAIL ABOUT WHY A WORLD WITH MAGIC AND MONSTERS WOULD HAVE *MORE* REASON TO HAVE GUNS YOU DOLT..... srly and people wonder i get annoyed when trying to talk about this in the forums when literally everyone seems to not bother to read ANYTHING before posting.....
    Veeshan wrote: »
    imo Future weapons/armor/tech advancements should only be found by 1 time discoveres in the world via events, like there a world wide puzzle to complete which leads u to a door in a certain dungeon that if u figured out the riddle from hints to have the key to open it and that miught unlock crossbows recipe for your node citizens and eventually spread to everyone around the world just gives the person who discovered the node a little headstart on using it for a bit of time ;P this may lock out other tech aswell so each server advancments might be different

hell i would acutally love that, it would lock useful siege weaponry in the form of firearms behind actual node progression so only certain nodes will develop even the ability to make guns meaning the would be a commodity to those who would find firearms useful to their planned formations for warfare while also reaming rarer and less in the face and like you mentioned, that could also extend to crossbows and even other types of interesting stuff like if they ever add an artificer class, maybe you can only become one with the necessary grand masters like having metal working, enchanting, and than your choice of either armorsmith or weapon smith AND your node needs to have discovered the 'artificers research' for you to change your artisan skills into one conglomerated artisan skill called 'the artificer'
  • Options
    mobtek wrote: »
    Nope they fit in NW, they don't fit in AoC, why would Verrans develop gunpowder tech when we have magic booms? :)

ffs.... FUCKING READ THE POSTS.... IM DONE REPEATING MYSELF OVER AND OVER ON THAT FRONT.... HELL IM DONE REPEATING MYSELF ALLTOGETHER AND WILL JUST TELL YA TO READ EVERYTHING BEFORE YOUR OR ANYONE ELSE WHO REPEATS COMMENTS CAUSE THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS...
  • Options
    The differences I talked about between a bow and crossbow aren't balance differences, they are concept differences.

If balance is what you want to talk about - where is the balance in handing a portion of what a magic user can do to someone that specifically opted to not take a magic using class in their build?

If someone with a melee primary wants some magical effects, they should take mage as a secondary.

the balance is that they would be HEAVILY restricted by the time to reload and their accuracy compared to a mage so where a mage lets say would hit a fireball at 50ft proably 90% of the time because they can guide the magical fireball, the person firing a flintlock pistol at the same distance has a REALLY HIGH liklyhood that far that it will miss with lets be generous and say they ahve a 60% hit rate AND where the mage can keep casting fireball lets say every 4 seconds, the guy with the gun would need to take like AT LEAST 10 seconds if not 12 to 15 seconds to full reload even just their pistol and at that point either they would be swiss cheese if they tried or they would be nicely sliced lunch meat and by the way the general balance comes from deciding whats different about it and what makes it strong or weak with the fine tuning comes in the form of just tweaking the numbers to be just right.
  • Options

honestly man just watch the first damn video if you want a better idea of how old school flintlocks worked and what made them both AMAZING but also BEYOND TRASH because there was a reason in our world with only other people to contend with and no giant monsters forcing everyone haveta find a way to fit and kill something bigger than a elephant on the regular, that it took so damn long for guns to be fully adopted even though again, the gunpowder was first made in literally year 900 and the first item that could be called a firearm came around the year 1000 with them only being adopted properly in SOME capactiy and not full capacity mind you in the 1600s and only starting to get somwhere by the late 1700s.
  • Options
    edited February 21
    honestly man just watch the first damn video if you want a better idea of how old school flintlocks worked and what made them both AMAZING but also BEYOND TRASH
    No, I don't feel any need to watch a video that I have no doubt will contain less information than I already have, and probably have a number of facts wrong - as well as it likely being poorly made leaving me feeling as if my time was robbed.

Very few videos linked in forums are ever worth watching. None that are linked by the person that made the video are worth it.
    because there was a reason in our world with only other people to contend with and no giant monsters forcing everyone haveta find a way to fit and kill something bigger than a elephant on the regular
    If we had spell casters in our world, we wouldn't have guns.

That is the same as why since we have guns, we don't have {insert other thing no one has heard of because it didn't need to be invented because guns filled that role}. Once there is an accepted and adequate means of filling a role, there is no need to spend time and money developing another means to fill that role.
  • Options
    showing their either lack reading comprehension skills or are being blatantly ignorant and not caring about having an actual disscusion.

Too good not to quote.

The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    lack reading comprehension
    Just going to add to the above post- you dont get to claim others have reading comprehension issues for failing to read what you have written, when you fully admit yourself that you have writing issues.
  • Options
    SolvrynSolvryn Member, Alpha One, Adventurer
    Only way you could even conceive guns in the game is if there is an Artificer crafting line that allows you alchemical firearms.

Even so its Steven you need to convince, not the posters on the forums.
  • Options
    VaknarVaknar Moderator, Member, Staff
    I would rather not close this thread, so let's remember to be well to one another :)
    community_management.gif
  • Options
    AnimusRexAnimusRex Member
    edited February 22
    Vaknar wrote: »
    I would rather not close this thread, so let's remember to be well to one another :)

A worthy sentiment, but given the OP's tone, language, and hostility to dissenting responses, you probably should have closed it 3 days ago.

Largely due to the above, it's gone exactly nowhere.

The girl watched the last of the creatures die and murmured a soft 'Thank you' to her rescuer.

The stranger's eyes lifted to the blood red cloud on the horizon.

'We have to move. It's not safe here.'
  • Options
    nanfoodlenanfoodle Member, Founder, Kickstarter
    I don't get being pushed to read something I have no interest in. Part of the reason I backed this game in the Kickstarter was the pure fantasy theme. I don't care how many times people have said, you have not tied how I cook liver. You will like it! Never worked and I don't care how bright of an idea you have. I still don't like guns. I will never like guns in my fantasy game. At best, I have put up with it. When building a team, I would always do my best to avoid gun classes. When I played my hunter in WoW, even when a better gun showed up that was better then my bow. I would pass on the gun.