Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Player Vendors

I haven't really seen this in any forums, ever, but what does it really mean to be a player vendor? That is to say, if the game provides NPCs to act as vendors why would any player want to act the part of the merchant? Will there be in-game warehouses to store your merchandise? Will you be able to craft new recipes to help stay competitive in the market? Will you be able to hire other players and/or nonplayers to handle things while you're not online? Will crafting guilds be a thing? Will you be able to assign quests to other players when you need materials you can't get for various reasons?

I'm asking all this because it's a dynamic I've seen in series that revolve around MMOs, like Log Horizon (which is well executed and understands its medium to some extent, and also happens to only have factions in the sense that guilds and in-game nations can technically be considered factions) and SAO (which is poorly executed and doesn't seem to know its medium, despite showing 3 separate MMOs with different systems all 3 are poorly thought out or executed and it's never explained why these broken aspects never came up in the beta testing). Being able to operate your own business in-game sounds really appealing to me. The idea of establishing a guild to further develop crafting skills for all the crafters that are part of it is also a nice thought, the guild could have players that go out to gather resources for the crafters while the crafters, in turn, make better gear and distribute some of that to the more actively adventuring players so they can better perform their harvesting is also a fun dynamic to think about. Also, the idea of having a lasting impact with your crafting, like building a structure that is operated by you or another character is fun to think about. I would love to see player built structures that are used as either housing or businesses for various player merchants and/or crafters.

Comments

• Options
    Well heres the thing bud the player himself/herself will be owning one of said npcs and from what i hear the npc will be selling things base of of either your level or probably just the items you give them to sell and in a majority of games playing built items are usually better than the static ones so being a merchant is never a bad route.
  • Options
    I've played MMOs with similar systems, and I think they work wonderfully. It the end, the very players end up creating well-known marketplaces, and even associated certain types of materials/items to certain cities they were usually sold in. All in all, I think it's a great system and hope to see it implemented.

Regarding some of the suggestions you made, I very much agree with them. The systems I knew consisted on the player sitting down his character and then a a small text windows would appear over the character's head, if you clicked on it you interacted with the shop. Being able to setup your own physical shop ingame could be quite interesting and it would definitely feel very immersive. I don't necessarily chant for these features, because I am happy as long as players can act as shops, the format doesn't interest me personally, but I would welcome more complex and immersive features.
  • Options
    True, we'll just have to see how far it can be taken when the beta testing happens. But the idea of crafting and merchant guilds still sounds appealing, I like the idea of guilds not built around fighting each other directly. Sure there will likely be combat guilds in the game, and they'll most likely engage in the Guild to Guild combat mechanics of the game, but the idea of guilds via supremacy on a sociological and/or economic level, thus fighting each other indirectly sounds appealing to me. When I get a chance to play the game, whenever that may be, I do plan on leveling my character, but I plan on being crafter/merchant and improving my skills in those sort of disciplines.
  • Options
    @dracone

We've yet to see many of the details of the upcoming crafting system, but I sincerely hope you don't get disappointed in the end. I have come to notice a certain trend in MMO development, people who really love crafting always have these big dreams for the crafting systems, but they almost always end up lacking most of what people were expecting, nor are crafters ingame as important and unique as people assumed they would be. This is because even in games that I played in which heavy restrictions existed to being a crafter (and you needed crafters in those games), I and any player worth their soul, had our own crafter alts. So, a guild of artisans is usually just not a successful venture.
  • Options
    @ Thorlen I think the problem most crafting systems in MMOs, that are playable anyway (the kind found in Light Novels, Manga, Anime, comics, and tv have entirely different rules because their structure and standards are set only by the who authored them), is that the crafting is treated as more of an afterthought, something to give the players to do so they aren't just going on fetch quests and killing monsters for whatever reason. They give off the feeling of being put in just to pad content. At least that's the feeling I got playing games like World of Warcraft, which I have heard from a few people I follow on video streaming sites as a "carnival styleMMO" and I have to agree on that front. LotR Online and DnD Online aren't much better in terms of crafting either.

From what I've been able to gather about Ashes of Creation, crafting was one of the first things about it because they wanted to be on par with the other mechanics of the game.
  • Options
    We really haven't gotten any particulars on crafting yet.  We know that some will have the ability to hire NPCs to sell for you, or farm (maybe), but they are all unknown at this point in time.
  • Options
    @Diura has compiled what (little) we do know for sure about crafting and gathering over here in case you haven't seen it yet.
  • Options
    Also she posted what we know about Trade here, which may address some of the questions in this thread.
  • Options
    For myself, I'll definitely be working to create a stall with an NPC, but I also very much look forward to hawking my wares myself, as part of the RP for my characters.