Will you play AoC if the combat sucks(for you personally)?

Comments

• There will be no P2W, so it is already 90% certain that combat will be better than anywhere else!

From what I've seen so far in streams, and from what I know about class diversity, there is absolutely nor reason for combat to be anything less than awesome!

Yeah, keep up the good vibes! :)
  • No I wouldn't play AOC if the combat is bad. I'm really hoping that its good especially burning raids and pvp ( mainly want balance in this regard). But I have high hopes for I.S that they can pull it off.
  • Combat is huge! part for me If the game combat is not good and not very fluent it will break my heart </3

Seriously combat gotta be good especially if their making a game like this with such amazing ideas!!!

*If the combat was not good I would try to get into the game as much as I can but it will be a huge downer to me! *

When I see combat videos I kinda take as a Dark souls type combat what is interesting for sure!
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/poll-will-you-play-aoc-if-the-combat-sucksfor-you-personally/#post-25730">Elveone wrote:</a></div><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/users/kodon/" rel="nofollow">@kodon</a> this is not the question I am asking.

</blockquote>

No, the question you were asking is 'if the game sucks will you play it anyway'. Because combat is arguably one of the most important core systems. So it is a bad question. If combat is the driving factor of the game, and combat sucks, no amount of shiny features will cover up that stink and players will unsub. That would constitute a huge failure on Intrepid's part.

Also, questions like this get negative responses and hostile feedback because the very premise of the question is based on the failure and/or shortcomings of the game. Excited members of the community energized enough to participate in, and regularly follow, the forums dont want to read a bunch of pessimistic doomsday posts that ultimately serve no purpose other than to fan the flames of negative baseless speculation.

If you really want to contribute, and picking apart the game's design flaws is how you want to do that, you're going to have to do alot better, and be way less generic, than 'will you still play if combat is bad'. Bad combat could mean a thousand different things to a thousand different people.

/endrant
  • For me combat is the most important thing in order to play a mmo. A beautiful sandbox with a lot of housing, craft, artistic design etc but with a bad combat sysytem, in my opinion, that kind of game is totally trash. My adventure is to fight and enjoy the combat( a 90% of my adventure) so I am waiting to see any info about combat system. As i saw in a rogue video using a bow, itt seems at the moment that the animations sucks a bit, so combat system at this moment could be in a state that suck to show us.
  • The good part of this is that they're using the Unreal Engine. Designing a combat system is arguably a difficult thing, but conversely to what happened to Bless, which had a custom engine, Unreal Engine is extremely flexible for what concerns combat scripting. Remember it was born for FPS. So, if they were in need to tweak, or even rewrite the combat ground up, the investment they should put into that would be minimal with respect to those games that use a custom engine, which might have been DESIGNED around their combat model.

For example, consider the "mouse clicking to select target". A custom engine might have a click mechanic that's embedded in its core, while Unreal, having a FPS core, surely offers the option to "mark a target" via various alternate cameras (i.e. main crosshair, special aiming via binoculars/archer focus etc). Fixing the combat in a home-made engine would require a heavy investment, as Bless faced, fixing it in an already generic-purpose engine as Unreal is just one function call away.

Said this, I too think that the combat makes or breaks a game. This time, I am in for the strategic aspects, as I have increasingly less time to play (so, I am interested in the "no grind" commitment of the authors), yet, if I don't get fun in the combat system while playing I won't be dragged by the rest.
  • It's an interesting question... for me the answer is yes. I'm looking mostly for a virtual world and combat is a tiny part of that experience. If the other systems all come together so that I can be a merchant and contribute to the economy, have a productive farm and other non-combat aspects, I'm good!

I play Black Desert almost exclusively now, having leveled entirely by trade and fishing... I know exactly a handful of "combat" moves and I love that it doesn't even matter :)
  • <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/poll-will-you-play-aoc-if-the-combat-sucksfor-you-personally/page/2/#post-25961">fey wrote:</a></div>A BIG FAT NO . combat is what 99% of what you’re going to do the whole game lmao.

</blockquote>

In this case? I don't think that's even close to true.
  • I'd have to say that, if the combat feels lack-luster to me <strong>personally</strong>, it would come down to the other aspects of the game to decide whether or not I will keep playing.

The most important aspect of an MMORPG to me is the immersion.
    I've long searched for an MMORPG that really keeps up the immersion, a game that keeps me playing because I want to come back to a world that keeps me interested and inspired through activities other than the combat alone.

For that to happen, the world must be alive, vibrant and dynamic.
    A part of that will be dependent on the players and how they manage the world.
    The other part of that will be depending on the developers, however it seems that they have a solid concept.
    I have good hopes.

So, I suppose my answer would be: <em>Possibly, depending on the circumstances</em>.
  • In my opinion there is nothing to worry about. Kickstarter going well, they have a lot of time to finish the game and make the combat system great. Even if it will be typical targeting system if it will be dynamic and done well and there will be no any unnecessary downtimes during the fight everything should be ok. The games seems to be a rich of great content and even if fight will be not a main advantage of this game I will still going to play it because there will be no P2W which can destroyed even the best combat system .
  • Well, while we can't comment on the gameplay right now, in itself I thought at the very least the graphics looked quite sleek and smooth just judging from them walking around while that teaser was shown. It's made me quite optimistic anyway; I know from experience just having animations that look quick and cool with skills that feel impactful, actually makes the gameplay at the very least have the "illusion" of being fun. (For lack of a better phrasing)

For me anyway, the game seems so niche and interesting I want to say I'd keep playing as long as the game keeps offering enough stimulus and reason to continue playing. I'm not an arena player myself, so while I, and most other people, probably consider combat important, either mechanically or through balance - for me it's not the absolute highest priority thing.

At face value it seems like this game isn't built around having breathtaking one-of-a-kind combat because if it were I think they would have demoed that idea a little bit more.
  • @jonnymind, you have a very incorrect idea of what a game engine is. Also Bless used Unreal Engine 3.
  • I already lost interest in keeping up with this game because the combat looks worse the ESO. 
  • What kind of question is that :) If one of the major machanics of a game sucks why would someone play the game? 

Exceptions:
    PUBG, the combat sucks but people still play it :wink:
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited October 2017
    It does not matter what form the combat takes in AOC there will be people that will hate it and others that will like it. There is no combat system that will ever be made that will appeal to everyone, that is just a fact.

For me combat is not the one deciding factor if I will play an mmo or not, for others it is and that's fair enough.
  • I have high hopes that the combat will be spectacular, however if I personally find it bland or unenjoyable I'll suck it up if the guild is enjoying the game. #WeNotMe
  • Combat can suck in many ways, like if its unblanced i would still play, if the mechanic is crap i would still play. But if it looks bulshit i cant play it xD
  • This will depend on the level of "suck".

Since combat is the core feature of any MMO, it has to be somewhat good. Guess why Bless Online so far didn't get released in the west? It's a highly hyped game that has been in development for almost a decade, but the combat... oh well..

If it is not that good, I'd have to try it first whether it is bearable and fixable in the future.
  • Wouldnt play it. Thats why i really hope the combat in the demo will be almost fully replaced :P
  • Every MMO is about the combat IMO. SO it should be good.
  • You can't have crappy combat in a MMO.  End of story.

Sure other well designed elements of the game will help offset that for some people, but a majority of players are going to spend a large portion of their time using the combat system.  
  • Whilst the combat overall does currently look quite good to me, it would be a problem for me if the combat was subpar. It is probably the facet of an MMO that I enjoy the most. I also suspect it will evolve more than any other facet in the game so dodgy combat at launch is not such a huge problem.
  • As long as content and group play are enjoyable I can tolerate a not so great combat system. There are many ways to tweak the combat system personally to help alleviate some complaints (i.e. gamepads, macro's, etc...) while not making it the most efficient, there are options.

For more the group play is the largest aspect, I have concerns on the non-dungeon que, but as far as the combat system, overlays and keybinds...etc I can live with it. 
  • Okay, the thing is, what makes a combat "good" is different for everyone. Personally for me, the biggest part is whether the combat will make me focus on the conflict at hand during the fight (enemies surrounding me, current enemies being fought, terrain, cooldowns, surrounding NPCS like guards, etc.) This matters more to me than whether it's action or tab target, etc. The world has conflict and combat is used in most aspects to solve those conflicts. Sieges, caravans, even questing.. if I cannot be immersed in the combat, then I cannot be immersed in those game features. So if the combat is not good, meaning it doesn't meet the criteria of combat immersion I talk about, then I will not play it personally.
  • Probably not, as combat is something you do a lot.
  • Remember the time when mmorpgs werent all about graphics, combat and so on :P Good time XD
  • BCGiant said:
    Remember the time when mmorpgs werent all about graphics, combat and so on :P Good time XD
    Ahh the day of MUDs I mean wait I'm not that old.....but yes
  • if combar sucks ...NO .... just carebears would play it ... game  would die 
  • if combar sucks ...NO .... just carebears would play it ... game  would die 

What sucks for you may not suck for others, so by your logic anyone who likes combat you don't like is a carebear, interesting.

I have yet to play an mmo where I thought the combat system was rubbish, they all differ so just accept it for what it is and get on with enjoying the game. Doubt very much AOC will have a bad combat system, but what ever it turns out like some will hate it others will love it, said this before there will never be a combat system that will appeal to everyone.