Will you play AoC if the combat sucks(for you personally)?

124»

Comments

• in truth, it would depend how bad the combat is... but feedback is a powerful tool and could have it changed by everyone harassing the devs lol. if it's a bit clunky, pvp may be out for me. however, it'd have to be extremely bad for me not to play and run the life skills.
  • First to answer the question. Yes, I would still play if combat "sucked." Though I would expect that to change fairly quick, or the game would die.

My primary interest in the game is it's macro PvP environment, rather than micro PvP.  I like the various economic mechanics they've been talking about.  I like the look of settlement vs settlement, or civilized vs outlaw possibilities. It is true that if the combat is dull, these aspects will suffer slightly. But I have seen examples of relatively boring combat mechanics being sufficient to hold players attention if the stakes of the fights are personal enough to the players. This game seems to be focusing very strongly on strong immersion of player. 

I also agree with a number of comments in this thread which pointed out that the quality of combat will be strongly subjective. It is unlikely everyone will be fully pleased, no matter what the devs do. If you want a clearer answer to this question, please define what you would consider "bad combat."
  • Suhnaye said:
    First to answer the question. Yes, I would still play if combat "sucked." Though I would expect that to change fairly quick, or the game would die.

My primary interest in the game is it's macro PvP environment, rather than micro PvP.  I like the various economic mechanics they've been talking about.  I like the look of settlement vs settlement, or civilized vs outlaw possibilities. It is true that if the combat is dull, these aspects will suffer slightly. But I have seen examples of relatively boring combat mechanics being sufficient to hold players attention if the stakes of the fights are personal enough to the players. This game seems to be focusing very strongly on strong immersion of player. 

I also agree with a number of comments in this thread which pointed out that the quality of combat will be strongly subjective. It is unlikely everyone will be fully pleased, no matter what the devs do. If you want a clearer answer to this question, please define what you would consider "bad combat."
    Well said, and your question in bold would provide a much clearer response from people, what is one persons bad combat is another persons good combat. It's all about personal preference.
  • To me combat is usually secondary. However, if every battle is a ride on the struggle bus due to mechanics, and I can't avoid combat, I will likely walk away with my for life sub :cry:

But, if the combat is remotely feasible and can be learned then it does not matter to me at all.

I'm not here for the combat.
  • tab targeting!!!
  • Yes I'll play if combat sucks. I got lifetime subscription. And an amazing Community. We'll be making an Erp tavern.
  • Yeah, I've spent so much I have to play it  :D
  • For me, MMORPGs is not just about the combat. There are things like trade, crafting, socializing, quests. If I can be immersed in the game, I would enjoy it and play. The only way combat affects me so that I would not play a game, is if I cannot adjust to the controls at all. This is usually only true for me in MOBAs. Combat for me is primary in games like MOBAs where the only thing done is fight. If MMORPGs didn't have any other aspect other than combat, then they "suck" and I wouldn't play.