Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I Have a Beef - Re: Twitch Live Stream 5/24/17 - Kickstarter Mounts

During the livestream today Steven said that the mounts we purchased in our Kickstarter packages were going to be "skins" that replace a mount we get in the game. When I purchased my Kickstarter I went by the description: "Kickstarter Exclusive - Dawnbreaker Epic mount - Plus all previous rewards!!" which, to me, means this mount, along with mounts from the previous levels, will be available when I log into the game. It doesn't say it's going to be a skin that I apply to a mount I acquire at x level.

So by Steven's description, I would have to acquire (purchase or acquire as a quest reward) a number of mounts in order to apply these "skins". Or does that mean, I can apply whichever skin I'd like to the same mount every time I take it out? I think this needs clarification because I was under the assumption that we would receive each of these mounts at launch.

Unless he clarified later in the stream as I'm not done watching it yet.

Comments

• Options
    I feel like it would be both, having a mount at Lvl 0 wouldn't be good it would just help you travel be sense you don't know where to go you would get lost and distracted. Im sure its more that you have to raise a node to lvl 3 or something in order to access mounts basic model for everyone would be a horse but you could use your skins as individual mounts cause its not like you would ride 3 mounts at once. However because you bought into the kick starter you don't have to by a mount like every other player as soon as a node hits lvl 3 you can just pick yours up.
  • Options
    Im gonna watch the q&a soon but i think i know why he said that.

First, i was also under the same impression.

Lets say they do give actual mounts. I dont think these mounts are p2w. So these mounts will be lvl 1 mounts.

But heres the thing, i think skins would be better because of mount breeding. If you use your ks mount, its definitely not going to have any advance bonus. You'll end up replacing them later with ingame bred mounts of higher quality.
    But with skins, you can keep your ks mount cosmetics and pass them on.

So its not a bad idea imo.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/#post-28578">Shirikuryu wrote:</a></div>

But heres the thing, i think skins would be better because of mount breeding. If you use your ks mount, its definitely not going to have any advance bonus. You’ll end up replacing them later with ingame bred mounts of higher quality.

</blockquote>

I agree and would be totally fine with being able to apply the skin to whatever mounts we choose but I wonder if they will be one time use.
  • Options
    I think the forum ate my post so I'm redoing it:

<blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/#post-28578">Shirikuryu wrote:</a></div>

But heres the thing, i think skins would be better because of mount breeding. If you use your ks mount, its definitely not going to have any advance bonus. You’ll end up replacing them later with ingame bred mounts of higher quality.

</blockquote>

I agree and would be totally fine with being able to apply the skin to whatever mounts we choose but I wonder if they will be one time use.
  • Options
    I think the forum ate my post so I'm redoing it:

Shirikuryu wrote:

"<em>But heres the thing, i think skins would be better because of mount breeding. If you use your ks mount, its definitely not going to have any advance bonus. You’ll end up replacing them later with ingame bred mounts of higher quality.

So its not a bad idea imo.</em>

• Options
    I also thought it would be a unique mount and not a skin, but totally understand from the non pay to win aspect of the game.
  • Options
    I also thought that the mounts were a "at launch" reward. The KS doesn't specifically list the mounts as "skins".

That being said, I'm honestly relieved that their skins, and not available at launch. The ability to travel quicker than non-pledge players, while not a HUGE advantage, would be an advantage, nontheless. The only way around that was, if EVERYONE got a mount at launch, just plain one's for non-pledgers.

I'm fine with having to explore on foot, and putting in the work, knowing that once mounts become available, I can make mine look distinctive, without worrying that my reward confers some sort of edge over others.

Glad that was cleared up, by Steven. Also, I'm guessing that the skins are "reusable".
  • Options
    I was under the assumption that these were full mounts and do feel it is misleading on the kickstarter page...however i do agree it is more in line with their no P2W system having them be skins.
  • Options
    The KS doesn't state that we will receive mounts as soon as we log into the game.
    The devs also said that we will be able to obtain mounts pretty quickly - because that's an important aspect of Animal Husbandry.
    Technically, we receive the skins for the mounts as soon as we log in.

And, yes, the devs have been saying that the rewards would be cosmetic and not P2W.
    (I dunno how that applies to water mounts, though. Perhaps that is also a skin.)
  • Options
    He did not include the Dawn Breaker in as a skin, and has even said in previous streams that they do not fly, but have been known to glide great distances.

5/24 live stream at about 21:30
  • Options
    @Nazareth made a huge point! which I intend to post in my comment!

It was my understanding like everyone else that theses kickstarter exclusive mounts will be their own mounts! and not skins, However I can understand that they will be only skins because of a P2W concept. Like Nazareth said he didn't mention the "Dawn Breaker" Which if its just the horses I'm completely Fine with this!

Can I apply whichever skin I’d like to the same mount every time I take it out?
    - I believe that's where they were going for yes! if not they are probably going make a lot of fans mad

I think the mount will have a cosmetic type system where if you have armor for the mount you would put that armor in that box on the mount and it will appear on the mount! So I assume you can take the armor off and put it on another mount and it will more likely be Account bound item!

He never mentioned the "Dawn Breaker" as a skin and I hope Not!
    Reason Why is because they said Mounts that can glide will be extremely difficult and rare to find!
    so if the "Dawn Breaker" is a skin I'm going to be a little Ticked off!!
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree. I'd be fine with them being skins with the exception of the Dawnbreaker Epic Mount. That said, I'd also be disappointed if these skins can only be used by one character per account. They'll certainly be account-bound, but it's not clear if they can be used by any number of characters on a given account.
  • Options
    Did they say anything about the moonstrider specifically? I am wondering since it's "a hybrid" between a mount and a goods transportation thing. Will there be other moonstriders just different colours or is that really an exclusive thing.
    functionality wise and "that kind of look" wise, liek other hybrids will be donkeys and stuff, jsut not that kind of moonstrider
  • Options
    @Grisu It was more of a general statement on the KS mounts and no, Steven didn't mention the Moonstrider, specifically, that I can recall.
  • Options
    No, nothing was said about the Moonstrider specifically.
    Only the three horses were mentioned as skins.
  • Options
    I would also like clarification on this. I have braver of worlds but if I don't actually get a Mount with the corresponding reward at launch like the pledges lead me to believe, then I will certainly downgrade my pledge
  • Options
    I had looked at it in the sense that it would have been a particular item unlocked at some level (A regular mount was purchased), or after some requirement was meant for you to have a mount. It did not occur to me that I would ride out of the portal while others walked. By my definition, that would be Pay to Win, which Intrepid has repeatedly stated they are against. Having it as a skin does is better to me, as that means I will be able to make a mount that has the attributes I desire most to look like what I would like better.

As for the Dawn Breaker, and Moonstrider, my speculation would be that you won't get them out of the gate. They will either be unlocked as above, or a skin for a similar mount in terms of abilities. Not worried regardless.

Locke
  • Options
    To me it would make sense - if mounts are a living/aging/dying being - that the item you get will be a clicky item that changes the skin of the mount you are on/summon for yourself that lives on after your mount so you can use it on your next mount. That way you would have your mount and the item itself would merely only provide cosmetic changes to said mount you have. (I hate comparing to WoW but similar to like the Holly that changed your mount to a reindeer for x time)
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/#post-28771">Nelson_Rebel wrote:</a></div>I would also like clarification on this. I have braver of worlds but if I don’t actually get a Mount with the corresponding reward at launch like the pledges lead me to believe, then I will certainly downgrade my pledge</blockquote>

I agree. Though this is not a break/make point for me, I'm sure this is for many others. I don't like the way they are wording their rewards in their KS, and more transparent and clear messaging should be used to describe what you are getting for the pledge.

The main reason I pledge for braver of the world is for the lifetime sub. So personally, that would trump over mount skins, though I am a little disappointed on their approach for not being clear. Someone needs to bring this up to the devs to clarify before the KS is over.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"></div>I would also like clarification on this. I have braver of worlds but if I don’t actually get a Mount with the corresponding reward at launch like the pledges lead me to believe, then I will certainly downgrade my pledge</blockquote>

I agree. Though this is not a break/make point for me, I'm sure this is for many others. I don't like the way they are wording their rewards in their KS, and more transparent and clear messaging should be used to describe what you are getting for the pledge.

The main reason I pledge for braver of the world is for the lifetime sub. So personally, that would trump over mount skins, though I am a little disappointed on their approach for not being clear. Someone needs to bring this up to the devs to clarify before the KS is over.
  • Options
    @Nelson_Rebel

The main reason I pledge for braver of the world is for the lifetime sub. So personally, that would trump over mount skins, though I am a little disappointed on their approach for not being clear. Someone needs to bring this up to the devs to clarify before the KS is over. Who knows what else is worded poorly... I also want to know about the moonstrider since it's a mix between a mount/mule, are they gonna say this is a skin too?
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/page/2/#post-28775">Nevermuse wrote:</a></div>To me it would make sense – if mounts are a living/aging/dying being – that the item you get will be a clicky item that changes the skin of the mount you are on/summon for yourself that lives on after your mount so you can use it on your next mount. That way you would have your mount and the item itself would merely only provide cosmetic changes to said mount you have. (I hate comparing to WoW but similar to like the Holly that changed your mount to a reindeer for x time)

</blockquote>

Why would anyone do that though? It's such a gimmicky way and more complicated to do so. Just have kickstarter exclusives as Account based items that can be applied to multiple characters like ESO's system. Same with dyes, why would we have Exclusive dyes and mounts that we get for putting faith and trust into a game only to find out that they expire anyway? That's not much thanks for the ones who put a lot of money and faith into a company expecting to at least have a cool show off items that no-where in the kickstarter does it say this. It just says exclusive so it should be permanently to the player.
  • Options
    I, too, thought that I was purchasing mounts that I would be able to claim at Launch. If these are indeed skins, then the Kickstarter should have stated this. This is very misleading.

I understanding they don't want any play to win, and that you will probably be able to obtain a mount around level 5 (as stated in the stream) but as with the dyes you get on KS they are one time use, and will these skins also be one time use? or will we be able to use the skins on any and all horse mounts we obtain? will we be able to pass these skins on to alts?

And the Moonstrider and Dawnbreaker - I now want more clarification on these mounts as well.
  • Options
    Hey Guys!

Sorry if the KS was not clear enough on this, I will have an FAQ updated to reflect the appropriate information.

To clarify for everyone here;

The mounts in the KS package are skins that can be applied to mounts that you attain or breed in game. We did this so that you could reapply the skin to new mounts you may obtain as you progress in the game. In addition it removes the p2w component of "buying" a mount off the bat.

<3
  • Options
    ha. I'd be way more disappointed that the dyes are one time use than that the mounts are skins!!
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/page/2/#post-28841">Steven wrote:</a></div>Hey Guys!

Sorry if the KS was not clear enough on this, I will have an FAQ updated to reflect the appropriate information.

To clarify for everyone here;

The mounts in the KS package are skins that can be applied to mounts that you attain or breed in game. We did this so that you could reapply the skin to new mounts you may obtain as you progress in the game. In addition it removes the p2w component of “buying” a mount off the bat.

<3

</blockquote>

@Steven

Does this apply to the Tidsnapper water exclusive mount? And Also the Dawnstrider mount? How will we "reskin" to obtain these if they are not actual mounts that are supposed to be kickstarter exclusive?

And could your team reconsider this? It is a big suprise to everyone. It would be better to have it account based if you are dead set on Skins, amd
    having it being able to be applied to every character. This is in NO way p2w.

Most people assumed due to the wording on kickstarter that every backer actually receives the mounts promised to them. No where on any package does it state that it is a skin and that we won't be able to actually access our mounts.
  • Options
    @Steven

Does this apply to the Tidsnapper water exclusive mount? And Also the Dawnstrider mount? How will we "reskin" to obtain these if they are not actual mounts that are supposed to be kickstarter exclusive?

And could your team reconsider this? It is a big suprise to everyone. It would be better to have it account based if you are dead set on Skins, and
    having it being able to be applied to every character. This is in NO way p2w.

Most people assumed due to the wording on kickstarter that every backer actually receives the mounts promised to them. No where on any package does it state that it is a skin and that we won't be able to actually access our mounts.
  • Options
    I would believe so . . . the water mount perhaps locked behind the water mount quest that once you complete the quest you "unlock" the water mount tidesnapper.
  • Options
    They've been adamant about not being able to purchase anything that isn't cosmetic so I'm not surprised that the KS packages are skins and not actual mounts. And it has the advantage of being able to use that skin on any mount you want, so you'll never out-grow it if you like it that much.
  • Options
    Having actual mounts isn't pay to win. It's a cosmetic feature. Having a pretty badass looking steed or otherwise doesn't change that it's just a fancy way of moving around. Nothing more

@Intrepid Studios

Please reconsider How these backer Mounts and Backer exclusive Dyes work.

I suggest that if you really only want the "exclusive mounts" to be only skins and not actual mounts (as is stated on the kickstarter) then please update your Kickstarter packages to
    reflect so as to not Mislead others.

As for the dyes themselves please do not make them "one time use only" these dyes are kickstarter exclusive and should be able to go with the players who have been here from the start. They should be for a players account wide and be re-appliable to different characters. It's just a dye why would you limit a cosmetic like that?

For mounts They should also be account wide, if they are only going to be "skins" why would limiting our characters creativity be a feature?