Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

I Have a Beef - Re: Twitch Live Stream 5/24/17 - Kickstarter Mounts

12346»

Comments

• Options
    But all that aside

I'm quite content with the mounts now being "skins" for mounts we get. Even if it's a bit inconvenient, this just means they will last as long as the game does for farther down the lifespan of the game

But don't try to say it was the backers fault for saying it was their fault for not knowing that saying "backers receive a mount" actually doesn't mean a mount.

Skins already have a distinction from other cosmetics. I.E.- Costumes, and particle effects. Angel and demon, etc..

It was a slip up that's all
  • Options
    @freespiryt

Right on. We're all in this together. The success of this game is what we all yearn for, for a very long time. I wish you no ill will friend.
  • Options
    @Nelson_Rebel

Thanks for supporting the game with the leader of men package. If we run the same server, I would like to guild up with you if possible. :)
  • Options
    Can't you just avoid the EA servers and join other servers without headstart players?
  • Options
    I would say its too early to complain about this without even knowing anything about how mount mechanics are in this game. You assume that a mount will be a clickable item or ability. Perhaps it will be something else entirely.
  • Options
    No complaints here

Just a discussion about the problem with wording

I'm still quite excited
  • Options
    @shirikuryu

yeah of course. I'll be on forums frequently keeping track
  • Options
    <blockquote>Nelson_Rebel wrote:
    But don’t try to say it was the backers fault for saying it was their fault for not knowing that saying “backers receive a mount” actually doesn’t mean a mount. It was a slip up that’s all</blockquote>
    It's not about fault or blame. It was a misunderstanding brought on by the fact that terms are in flux due to the revolutionary nature of Ashes.

lmao. In today's live stream they just battled over the usage of mount again.
    I'll type up the quotes in a bit, but... it went something like:
    QUESTION: <em>Can you tell us more about mounts? Such as, can they die? And, if so are they lost forever?</em>
    JEFFREY: <em>If people are concerned about that, you're never going to lose a mount forever. Wait. I should never say never. But, i can't think of anything off the top of my head where you can lose a mount forever.</em>
    STEVEN: <em>The dragon is absolutely a mount that you could lose. if you're no longer a king, queen or mayor.</em>
    JEFFREY: <em>The thing about that is it's not exactly a mount, though. That's almost like a special super power more than, like, a "mount" in the classic sense.</em>
    STEVEN: <em>In the classic sense? Probably not, but...</em>
    JEFFREY: <em>I mean, it's a thing you ride that you can lose.</em>
    STEVEN: <em>But, outside of that, there may be epic timed mounts as well. We may go a little bit further down that road. Not just having the dragon ones, but you could have mounts be an epic drop that would be timed as well. So there could be timed mounts, but traditional mounts that you retrieve in the game will not be killable so to speak, but you may...well, we'll talk about that later...but traditionally? No.</em>

So... that epic dragon is an animal you can ride that is not a "mount". What's the word for that in Ashes?? It's not a "mount". It's not a skin. It's a "power".
    Also, keep in mind, in a previous stream, Steven stated that mounts can be killed. But, not permanently killed. We can resurrect them.

So, again, you can't just assume you understand what the devs mean simply because they toss out a term you understand from previous MMORPGs. You have to pay attention to the context in which the term is used - as the term applies to Ashes concepts.
    When the devs say "mount", they may also mean skin or power.
    And that is true for many of the terms they use - like, "PvP" and "class".

OK. Now I'm done!
    (i hope)
    (Revised as requested !@@#%##&$&&$*&# broken quote mechanics!) <3
  • Options
    @Bringslite

I don't know what happen to my post, got deleted. Your 100% right. I do remember now that there are EA servers and virgin servers.
  • Options
    @Dygz

Please advise your post.

I did not say that. It was Nelson_Rebel.

But I guess it doesn't matter since vocabulary is up for interpretation. I suppose Nelson_Rebel and I do share similar views, we're pretty much the same people, just interchangeable names. /s
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/page/7/#post-29587">Dygz wrote:</a></div><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/users/emo/" rel="nofollow">@emo</a>
    Shouldn’t be a shit storm.
    </blockquote>

No, it entirely deserves to be a shit storm. The way it's worded and been handled screams of deliberate misleading to generate KS pledges.

They can try to spin it however they want but the wording is entirely clear. There is no room for misinterpretation from the backer in this particular scenario. If it was meant to be a skin it should have been marketed as a skin along with the rest of the skin based rewards in the pledges. At the end of the day if the devs are unable to clearly articulate in their own KS what their intention is there are bigger issues ahead because the KS should have been the easiest part of all this if they weren't intentionally deceiving people.

You can try to say concepts and terms specific to this game are unique, which honestly... they aren't (The only thing remotely unique is the monster coin system). If you honestly believe every single concept this game is using is unique to this game you really haven't played many games, let alone MMO's...
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/page/7/#post-29587">Dygz wrote:</a></div><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/users/emo/" rel="nofollow">@emo</a>
    </blockquote>

No, it entirely deserves to be a shit storm. The way it's worded and been handled screams of deliberate misleading to generate KS pledges.

They can try to spin it however they want but the wording is entirely clear. There is no room for misinterpretation from the backer in this particular scenario. If it was meant to be a skin it should have been marketed as a skin along with the rest of the skin based rewards in the pledges. At the end of the day if the devs are unable to clearly articulate in their own KS what their intention is there are bigger issues ahead because the KS should have been the easiest part of all this if they weren't intentionally deceiving people.

You can try to say concepts and terms specific to this game are unique, which honestly... they aren't (The only thing remotely unique is the monster coin system). If you honestly believe every single concept this game is using is unique to this game you really haven't played many games, let alone MMO's....
  • Options
    </blockquote>

You can try to say concepts and terms specific to this game are unique, which honestly... they aren't (The only thing remotely unique is the monster coin system). If you honestly believe every single concept this game is using is unique to this game you really haven't played many games, let alone MMO's.
  • Options
    I agree it wasn't clear, but I would much rather have skins than full mounts for two reasons. For one it means that everyone has to earn the mount like everyone else. It's a more equitable playing field and you're not buying your way through the game. Secondly starter mounts almost always suck. I would rather apply a skin to a better mount.

My concern is that the dyes, mounts, and anything else will be a one time use so you won't be able to move them to another mount or use the dyes on another armour.
  • Options
    @ ArkadyRandom

Rest easy then. <a href="https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147396926">They never run out as per Steven on today's twitch. </a>
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/page/9/#post-29806">Dygz wrote:</a></div>It’s not about fault or blame. It was a misunderstanding brought on by the fact that terms are in flux due to the revolutionary nature of Ashes.</blockquote>

Looking forward to some of this "revolutionary" details that are specific to ashes where it somehow means they can use different terminology to everything else because outside of the monster coin system nothing AoC is doing hasn't been done before.

At the end of the day regardless of how you are trying to spin this the wording is quite specific and stinks of intentional deception to generate KS pledges. Which given the shaky start it just adds fuel to the fire.
  • Options
    <blockquote><div class="d4p-bbp-quote-title"><a href="https://www.ashesofcreation.com/forums/topic/i-have-a-beef-re-twitch-live-stream-52417-kickstarter-mounts/page/10/#post-29948">Bringslite wrote:</a></div>@ ArkadyRandom

Rest easy then. <a href="https://www.twitch.tv/videos/147396926" rel="nofollow">They never run out as per Steven on today’s twitch. </a>

</blockquote>
    Awesome. I just had a chance to watch it. There is a lot of good info in that stream.