Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

So... Let's talk Character Customization

2»

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your comment Kratz.  I do spend a ton of time customizing my characters in games to get the right look I am aiming for.  

Its true, some past games had decent to good customization and other did not such as Warhammer Online. 

While I hope this game will have one the best if not the best, I just wanted to see if the thought of customization concept feature where you can still edit your character while in-game even if its just certain features such as hair styles, facial hair and such. 

For roleplayers for example, might have frazzled looking hair during battle, but when they are in town or at a wedding for example, may wish to have their hair cleaned up / combed.

While its not a big thing, I am sure there is portion of the player base would like having this feature if it was made available.
  • Options
    No idea if this has been answered yet, but does anyone know if the KS racial skins are going to be customizable outside of color changes?

E.g., if I am going to apply the angelic racial skin to my new character, would I just skip character customization because they all look the same? Or will the same degree of customization be allowed AFTER a racial skin has been applied (allowing for the alteration of things like # of wings, wing design, body structure, etc.)?
  • Options
    One thing I haven't seen or heard mentioned, with all the comparisons to BDO I've been seeing, is whether the classes are going to be gender-locked. I admit, I have not searched the whole forum; I'm new to it and I have not found the time to go through it properly yet, but does anyone know offhand whether this is the case?
  • Options
    Classes are not gender-locked.
  • Options
    @Kratz They could do it as in Black Desert, ArcheAge or something like that.. :P how more options how better in my opinion
  • Options
    I can't argue with that @Raymond.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    unreal is glorious i would love to see a online character creator or something that we could play with for awhile before the game comes out
    I've been a fan of the Unreal engine since I started playing Unreal Tournament in the late nineties. Man I'm old!
    That first UT had the best playability, compared to all it's follow ups, in my opinion.  And it scaled up to 64 player maps, for some crazy insane matches.

And through every iteration over the years, the UT engine always ran more smoothlly over a wider range of hardware than the Quake engines did.  The Quake engines may have been more superior in technical merits, but you always needed the most high end hardware available to take advantage of it.  I always preferred the UT engine games for a great look to performance ratio.  

Megs said:
    Karthos said:
    Fingers crossed I can have a peg leg in this game!
    I raised a thread about prosthetics and peg legs... oddly folks seemed to think peg legs weren't immersive. *waves hands in confusion and wanders off to inspect flowers*
    I would totally make a pirate alt if peg legs were an option.  
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    unreal is glorious i would love to see a online character creator or something that we could play with for awhile before the game comes out
    I've been a fan of the Unreal engine since I started playing Unreal Tournament in the late nineties. Man I'm old!
    That first UT had the best playability, compared to all it's follow ups, in my opinion.  And it scaled up to 64 player maps, for some crazy insane matches.

And through every iteration over the years, the UT engine always ran more smoothlly over a wider range of hardware than the Quake engines did.  The Quake engines may have been more superior in technical merits, but you always needed the most high end hardware available to take advantage of it.  I always preferred the UT engine games for a great look to performance ratio.  

Megs said:
    Karthos said:
    I raised a thread about prosthetics and peg legs... oddly folks seemed to think peg legs weren't immersive. *waves hands in confusion and wanders off to inspect flowers*
    Dwarf warrior with peg leg is just as awesome imo :)
  • Options
    lexmax said:

Megs said:
    Karthos said:
    Rumbleforge  I will get you your skull right now 
  • Options
    Oh Lord, shiploads of drunken beards
  • Options
    Megs said:
    Oh Lord, shiploads of drunken beards
    Can't tell if you're excited or scared ;)
  • Options
    Im just confused 
  • Options
    nagash said:
    Im just confused 
    That happens when you've got a skull for a hat.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    What do you think this is team fortress I dont stack hats
  • Options
    I can't wait if it will be that advanced.  But I'm so OCD I'll inevitably have to try several times before I finalize what I will look like!  So many options, especially considering the 512 race/class combinations... I better start deciding now...
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    nagash said:
    Im just confused 
    Nobody expects the pirate inquisition!  
    Hahahahaha!

There's one thing to know about the pirate inquisition, is that our peg legs are feared and we are ruthless on the open seas- er,
    There are two things to know about the pirate inquisition! Our peg legs are feared throughout the lands, we're ruthless on the open seas, no one's treasure is safe-crap
    Three!  There are three things to know about the pirate inquisition! 
    Our peg legs strike fear throughout the land!
    We are ruthless on the open seas!
    Your treasure is not safe when we draw near!  Our parrots shall pluck the eyes from your sku-, you know.... let me just start over.....   
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    Most of you may have not seen this yet, but if AOC can come close to developing something close to this would be great.
    https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/photorealistic-character-sample-released
  • Options
    Most of you may have not seen this yet, but if AOC can come close to developing something close to this would be great.

https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/blog/photorealistic-character-sample-released

That looks pretty cool. From what I've seen Ashes has a pretty realistic vibe for a fantasy game. I think they're on the right track.
  • Options

It's very impressive, but its also very hard to maintain that level of detail in a massive player count setting.  (Massive polygon counts start racking up very quickly) 
    But that being said, it seems these things can be scaled back quite a bit but still maintain a very high fidelity appearance. 

Star Citizen has been doing something similar, by creating a tier system of character models, 0 (highest poly count) - 3 (lowest poly count) but all high enough quality to look natural next to each other side by side. 
    If you're curious about how they're doing that kind of character modeling, this is a good intro video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTZIQ-YEqGc 

If Ashes does something similar, I have to say, I will be impressed.  We've started to see this kind of detail for human characters obviously..... but this level of detail on dwarves and orcs, and another assorted races and creatures?  Well, it will be an eye opening experience.
    But it's a double edged sword too, because historically, the games that go for realism often don't age as well graphically as those that opt for aesthetically artistic visual styles. 
    But judging from what we've seen so far in the pre alpha videos, I'd say they're going for a visual style somewhere in between. 

• Options

It's very impressive, but its also very hard to maintain that level of detail in a massive player count setting.  (Massive polygon counts start racking up very quickly) 
    But that being said, it seems these things can be scaled back quite a bit but still maintain a very high fidelity appearance. 

The polygon count is on the model only. Character models need to be kept as low as possible. The rest of it is made up of texturing which does not add to the polygon count and yes the more characters in view of your own causes more rendering issues. Its all a fine balancing act. Which the devs need to work out in their optimizing stage.

• Options
    Please allow us the option to have chest hair! So that we don't end up making pretty hairless anime boys. XD
  • Options
    BDO was pretty cool.
  • Options
    so, if it's going to anywhere close to BDO's cc.....holy wowzers.....hooked!
  • Options
    Zarozina said:
    One thing I haven't seen or heard mentioned, with all the comparisons to BDO I've been seeing, is whether the classes are going to be gender-locked. I admit, I have not searched the whole forum; I'm new to it and I have not found the time to go through it properly yet, but does anyone know offhand whether this is the case?
    @GMSteven said in a previous stream that the Ashes character creation system will be similar to BDO's. From what was revealed on livestream on the 30th, it looks like it's going to be even more flexible. I can't wait until we get the pre-release version of the designer to play with :astonished:
  • Options
    Yes! I forgot they said they were aiming for a pre release version that can be played with :)