Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Sea/Naval Combat

Since ships have been confirmed, along with the $1.5 mil Stretch Goal for improved sea content I have been sold on this game. I've always enjoyed games were ship to ship combat was a thing (AC Black Flag, World of Warships, yes, even Archeage).

I'm really hoping we see a variety of ships, large guild ships, small one or two-man trade ships and a range in between. I feel I would really like to be a privateer or a blockade runner/smuggler on the high seas. (Insert "plundering booty" innuendo here). I played Archeage as a member of a pretty successful naval PVP guild and it was the most fun I'd had in an MMO in years, in spite that game's issues.

I'm really curious how this community feels about this aspect of AoC. Will there be guilds who focus on this? I'd also love to see a "pirate node" out on some island or costal area. Somewhere I can kiss grog and drink wenches... or something similar.

Comments

• Options
    I've never been a huge fan of naval content BUT I think Jeff (or maybe Steven) suggested there would be cannons on some ships - that sounds pretty cool, and makes me think of Assassin's Creed naval combat :smile:
  • Options
    I'm the same :3 Some of my best game experiences comes from naval content in AA. I ran a trade pack mercenary guild and the risk/reward ideals is what our guild focused on and it created some epic memories ^^
    I hope we have a variety of ships and ship weaponary aswell as a compas/captain mode where we can see enemy/friendly targets.
    i also hope we can put our guild logos on the sails- was a nice personal touch. I was proud sailing our ship! And I want to be proud sailing with my guild on our adventures to be had in AoC!
  • Options
    Diura said:
    I'm the same :3 Some of my best game experiences comes from naval content in AA. I ran a trade pack mercenary guild and the risk/reward ideals is what our guild focused on and it created some epic memories ^^
    I hope we have a variety of ships and ship weaponary aswell as a compas/captain mode where we can see enemy/friendly targets.
    i also hope we can put our guild logos on the sails- was a nice personal touch. I was proud sailing our ship! And I want to be proud sailing with my guild on our adventures to be had in AoC!
    Which server we're you on in AA?
  • Options

We have unlocked the Enhanced Naval Content Stretch Goal!!!

Everyone here is SO EXCITED about the additional ships and water content that we will be creating.  Sea based trade routes, combat ships, treasure hunting, underwater dungeons and mounts! A whole new sea of content :)

-Kickstarter update #9

My only experience with Naval combat is Sid Meier's Pirates. So ... I guess I'll check it out when it releases. My experience with mmo-based vehicular combat has generally been not very positive (Star wars Galaxies, Swtor) but I'll definitely give it a go in AoC.

I am more excited about the treasure hunting and underwater dungeon bit though and Naval exploration.

• Options
    Karthos said:
    Diura said:
    I can't remember the server names if I'm honest but we played near the beginning and called it quits when the hacking got bad ^^ Trade Pack Security Ltd was my guild and we were part of Sun Tzu alliance if that rings a bell xD
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Karthos said:
    Diura said:
    I can't remember the server names if I'm honest but we played near the beginning and called it quits when the hacking got bad ^^ Trade Pack Security Ltd was my guild and we were part of Sun Tzu alliance if that rings a bell xD
    Nope it doesn't. We were on the Alpha server too, and then launch we jumped to Kyrios. I miss trade pack fights... The adrenaline of hearing "ship sighted, prepare to board".
  • Options
    Naval combat could be interesting if a city is coastal. During a siege you could strike from land an sea, plummeting the port side of the city with your ships, while the catapults crush the walls. So much potential.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Karthos said:
    Since ships have been confirmed, along with the $1.5 mil Stretch Goal for improved sea content .

I just thought meant we'd get bigger fish from fishing?

TBH I've never really played any games with sea battles except for AC Black Flag and AC Rogue and I loved it there so this really is great news for me. In terms of scope, I'm not sure what to think in terms of what they'll offer at release. My immediate reaction is surely they must concentrate on the nodes because this is the major selling point of the game but I guess there could be nodes underwater or on islands where ships are needed to get too. I know AA had it but it was established in Asia was it not?

Sounds exciting for sure, but it's also one of those elements where I think....."hmmm over ambitious or?". I'm looking forward to seeing what they develop in the naval context for sure.  

• Options
    Karthos said:
    Diura said:
    Karthos said:
    Diura said:
    Nope it doesn't. We were on the Alpha server too, and then launch we jumped to Kyrios. I miss trade pack fights... The adrenaline of hearing "ship sighted, prepare to board".
    I just checked we were on Kyprosa xD I ran a small guild of 30 so not suprised if you never heard of us but we had great times ^^ I hope to experience the same excitement in AoC. I can't wait to get to know our community more :D
  • Options
    I just want an effing massive harpoon gun on the prow of my boat for hunting that kraken!
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Since ships have been confirmed, along with the $1.5 mil Stretch Goal for improved sea content I have been sold on this game. I've always enjoyed games were ship to ship combat was a thing (AC Black Flag, World of Warships, yes, even Archeage).

I'm really hoping we see a variety of ships, large guild ships, small one or two-man trade ships and a range in between. I feel I would really like to be a privateer or a blockade runner/smuggler on the high seas. (Insert "plundering booty" innuendo here). I played Archeage as a member of a pretty successful naval PVP guild and it was the most fun I'd had in an MMO in years, in spite that game's issues.

I'm really curious how this community feels about this aspect of AoC. Will there be guilds who focus on this? I'd also love to see a "pirate node" out on some island or costal area. Somewhere I can kiss grog and drink wenches... or something similar.
    I really hope it's as exciting and engaging as it sounds!
    I can't wait for the crafting involved.  I'd rather be a ship-builder providing all the ships, if that ends up being a profession.

Could you imagine a "pirate node", or rather an island node?  If you were a "pirate" and somehow grew your node and trade routes with shipping... I suppose that would make you the Pirate King if you also ruled that node!
    ...and I would supply your ships! =P
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Karthos said:
    Since ships have been confirmed, along with the $1.5 mil Stretch Goal for improved sea content .

I just thought meant we'd get bigger fish from fishing?

TBH I've never really played any games with sea battles except for AC Black Flag and AC Rogue and I loved it there so this really is great news for me. In terms of scope, I'm not sure what to think in terms of what they'll offer at release. My immediate reaction is surely they must concentrate on the nodes because this is the major selling point of the game but I guess there could be nodes underwater or on islands where ships are needed to get too. I know AA had it but it was established in Asia was it not?

Sounds exciting for sure, but it's also one of those elements where I think....."hmmm over ambitious or?". I'm looking forward to seeing what they develop in the naval context for sure.  

I get what you're saying. I do think the nodes are a major selling point, but I'm a huge fan of a wide range of things do to in games besides the old quests/dungeons/raids and battlegrounds/arenas. 
  • Options

Long have I waited for great sea content and combat since the days of AA Alpha, do me proud Intrepid! 
  • Options
  • Options
    Definately looking forward to naval combat, given the fact that the game has magic we can expect something more compared to the typical sea warfare we see in movies or other games, also how would monsters react during this time ? I mean they won't sit around and wait for the people to kill eachother off rather the commotion should wake some of the ones sleeping in the depths no ? :)
  • Options
    Given we know there won't be gunpowder, I'm really holding our on harpoons and maybe some magical weapons.

Also Rams.

I'd love to see ships as more that just transportation and more as a tool to drum up PvP.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Given we know there won't be gunpowder, I'm really holding our on harpoons and maybe some magical weapons.

Also Rams.

I'd love to see ships as more that just transportation and more as a tool to drum up PvP.
    If we get magical weapons (which we should) then magical barriers will also be a good idea, I mean you don't want a fire ball shot just for the ship to go up in flames a few minutes later.

On a side note, taking over a ship would be a nice system like permanately, though it would be a pain in the ass for some.
  • Options
    Well ship caravans have already been confirmed. The way it normally works is the barge or big ship carrying all the loot will be protected by smaller ships destroyers.
    Which would make for quite a battle. 

I was thinking of a Game called Asian Dynasties Ages of Empire III Think they did a pretty cool job of naval combat just as an example.  There is something really satisfying about sinking ships.  Hearing the wood splinter into pieces hearing it sink with somewthat of a last breath.

If ships could have artillery fire on land having the ability to use there weapons and x amount in land and maybe even transport players to attack nodes.  That would be pretty impressive if IS pulled it off. (Air ships could be used to counter ships.  guess only usable in a seige)

Could also be used for PVE  For example an Island could be spawned were there is a group of monsters or group of villians that threatens the land.  So it could be like a 40 man raid were toons get on their ships with supplies and raid the Island then take the castle.  Plus there could be treasure hunts out at sea.

There are entire games devoted to this type of combat guess IS would not do it to that level. But if Intrepid Studios could make just a decent Armada and Ship Battles that would really set this game apart from other MMORPGs more so than it already is.

The ships themselves make a pretty impactful artistic statement.   I mean if you are out there pillaging ship caravans guess you could have the flag with skull and crossbones and everything playing pirate.  And there could be NPC undead ships.
    Plus the giant squids and monsters out at sea....the more I think about it the more I like it.  Maybe we could have custom flags so If you were a really good pirate Players would recognize you.  Maybe there could be a game mechanics for boarding enemy ships ....

• Options
    Well ship caravans have already been confirmed. The way it normally works is the barge or big ship carrying all the loot will be protected by smaller ships destroyers.
    Which would make for quite a battle. 

I was thinking of a Game called Asian Dynasties Ages of Empire III Think they did a pretty cool job of naval combat just as an example.  There is something really satisfying about sinking ships.  Hearing the wood splinter into pieces hearing it sink with somewthat of a last breath.

If ships could have artillery fire on land having the ability to use there weapons and x amount in land and maybe even transport players to attack nodes.  That would be pretty impressive if IS pulled it off. (Air ships could be used to counter ships.  guess only usable in a seige)

Could also be used for PVE  For example an Island could be spawned were there is a group of monsters or group of villians that threatens the land.  So it could be like a 40 man raid were toons get on their ships with supplies and raid the Island then take the castle.  Plus there could be treasure hunts out at sea.

There are entire games devoted to this type of combat guess IS would not do it to that level. But if Intrepid Studios could make just a decent Armada and Ship Battles that would really set this game apart from other MMORPGs more so than it already is.

The ships themselves make a pretty impactful artistic statement.   I mean if you are out there pillaging ship caravans guess you could have the flag with skull and crossbones and everything playing pirate.  And there could be NPC undead ships.
    Plus the giant squids and monsters out at sea....the more I think about it the more I like it.  Maybe we could have custom flags so If you were a really good pirate Players would recognize you.  Maybe there could be a game mechanics for boarding enemy ships ....

My guess is that they won't focus on sea combat so much to make armada's I mean that would be pretty large scale, maybe in the future we will get something of the sorts.

Regarding flags they are a form of identification so if you created a crew that saves people form monsters/pirates and made others aware of this via chat/forums then you will be recognized more easily.
  • Options
    You just know that when there is a naval system in a game there will always be buccaneers, traders and pirates...always.
  • Options
    Well even if they did not have naval combat.   Naval ships still have some pretty good PVE potential for Example.

1 While in transport people could be fishing (fishing pole or gathering nets)
    But fishing for the great big one sounds pretty cool maybe They could add the weight of the fish to the stats to certain game fish(not tuna more like Marlins and stuff like that)

2 There could be NPC ships that are just huge that would be like a pretty good sized dungeouns.  Make for a good raid.

3There could be waterways that go inland that lead to an underground  dungeoun that is only excessable by ship.(most likely smaller one) Could be different part of the underrealm.

4A larger ship could be used to do battle against some sea dragon or other legendary sea monster or some other rare spawn that is not so legendary. Would require teamwork of about 15 people maybe more for legandary spawn.

• Options
    Well even if they did not have naval combat.   Naval ships still have some pretty good PVE potential for Example.

1 While in transport people could be fishing (fishing pole or gathering nets)
    But fishing for the great big one sounds pretty cool maybe They could add the weight of the fish to the stats to certain game fish(not tuna more like Marlins and stuff like that)

2 There could be NPC ships that are just huge that would be like a pretty good sized dungeouns.  Make for a good raid.

3There could be waterways that go inland that lead to an underground  dungeoun that is only excessable by ship.(most likely smaller one) Could be different part of the underrealm.

4A larger ship could be used to do battle against some sea dragon or other legendary sea monster or some other rare spawn that is not so legendary. Would require teamwork of about 15 people maybe more for legandary spawn.

All of this sounds pretty good, I think they already said that transporting items through sea will be a thing (like caravans but using ships).
  • Options
  • Options
    Was researching topic at the Ashes of Creation WIKI and Steve said in one video that ships would be able to be destroyed by players and monsters plus a maybe to them being part of seiges cause of game balance issues.  

Just like to add that ships can have multiple banners and flags.  One denoting you are a pirate (skull and cross bones) another your guild banner or node banner.  And ther could be another one that denotes your progression as a pirate.  Or some other visual that denotes hundred ships sunk.  Guess there could be one for hundred ships defended too.  That would kind of give some sort of status out at sea the better that you are at it. 

• Options
    Kinda wondering what they will do about sailing on calm seas, magic or some machine like steam powered or somethin
  • Options
    Kinda wondering what they will do about sailing on calm seas, magic or some machine like steam powered or somethin
    I think they will just keep it simple and ships will travel with the WASD keys, but have momentum. So you can't just stop instantly, and turns are wider. 

I really have my fingers crossed thought for controllable sails, to increase speed or turning and a controllable anchor that can be dropped. 

I feel the ship mechanics don't need to be super complex if the sailing is fun and engaging. 

I am predicting though, given the lack of gun powder, boarding will be the predominant for of ship vs shit combat.
  • Options
    Karthos said:

I am predicting though, given the lack of gun powder, boarding will be the predominant for of ship vs shit combat.
    Ship vs. Shit.. :trollface:
  • Options
    I'd love for there to be a real extensive ship battle system but down the road. 

They already have their hands full with a very complex game.

Would be nice to have ships in the initial game with some combat capabilities but would rather them focus on the core game first for initial release with ships in it.

If they try too do too much all at once for first release it could thin the game out.

Once the game is out and polished. It would be nice to see the game develop to more complex sea battles to do it justice.

We want to avoid Star Citizen scenario where people want too much all at once where it delays game being released or having a bunch od things rushed rather than some things well polished.

Do I want sea battles and amazing combat system for ships sure I do but lets get the core game out and start with some basic ships and functions first.

We can add complex stuff later where it can be a focus on development with the attention it deserves and to be done well, as future development after initial release.

• Options
    We will see. They stated the reason behind the KS and crowdfunding was to give them the extra funding to see certain concepts integrated into the core game before launch. They have also said that all KS/Summer stretch goals will be met. If not by release, shortly after. So you will see basic functionality in the beginning, and all the wishlisting and "If I was making my own game I would...." people will see some of their ideas implemented down the line in the planned smaller 4-6 week, and larger quarterly updates.
    What is encouraging is the lack of mission creep. Sure, you have vocal advocates for different mechanics all over the forums and Discord. "I know better than them, they should implement my idea NOW, or I will pout!!" thinking that they are actually effecting change, but none of that has come to pass. They have not changed a single mechanic or system from what they have initially promised or described as far as we have seen. The news from them is that everything is on development milestone track and proceeding as expected. While anticipation and hype are hard for some to deal with on a daily basis, just sit back and enjoy the ride. 
  • Options
    Yup and that the way to do it.

It's much better to stick to the core and polish that for release.

Wishlist addons are things they should consider for future development or it will slow down the release, or worse dilute the game by trying to do much all at once in a limited amount of time.

It's good for people to give ideas and suggestions and should keep doing so. I am sure they may grab some ideas and implement for initial release if they are practical to fit into the stretch goals and time frame they are trying to keep.