Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Brainstorming parlor games

Hi,

I have an idea.  I think I'd like to build a parlor game into the AOC Forum Extension  (when I say forum extension, I'm referring to cohortgaming.com/aoc-forums).  Something like a simple card game or a really basic interactive game that is AOC themed.  I'd love to do something completely unique if we can come up with it.  I believe in the brain power of this forum!   I've been amazed at the creativity.

How I envision it working... If someone has the extension enabled on their Chrome browser, then there would be a button on the forums that would open up a lobby.  You could then hop into games with other people hosting games.  Think like the old Yahoo chess games, but a game that only takes a couple minutes to complete.  We could even build a leader board into the forums too if we wanted.  

2 Questions:
1. Would you play if this existed? I think it'd be fun, but I know I come up with so many ideas I need other people to tell me if it's good or not!  @Diura @Krojak  @Kratz @lexmax @nagash @AutumnWillow @Rumbleforge and other forum leaders :)

2. Any ideas on the game?  

Also, if you know JavaScript or can do 2D design, I'd love your collaboration for this game!  

Also also, there are a few of us who are working towards some bigger AOC projects.  We're always looking for web programmers and designers.  Reach out if you want to learn more.  

-tugo

Comments

• Options
    I'm not sure if intended or not! 

@tugowar excuse the pun, but I think it could be quite fun to see a guild vs guild Tug of War as a parlor game!
  • Options
    I can think of a lot of different board games that could be viable, what do you have in mind?
  • Options
    I can think of a lot of different board games that could be viable, what do you have in mind?
    @Ninja Shadow I don't know.  I think it'd be cool to do something with an AOC theme!  Also, see I updated the OP with 2 Qs.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I would say chess to an ashes theme but not sure how you would do it as there is only 6 chess piece types and 8 basic classes in ashes,

Chinese checkers where each side is a different race?

Some kind of card game where instead of hart's, diamonds, ect... you use the races as suites

Edit now I am trying to think of a way to make a cess type game with 8 types of pieces lol
  • Options
    AkaBear said:

@tugowar excuse the pun, but I think it could be quite fun to see a guild vs guild Tug of War as a parlor game!
    Would have to add a function into the extension for identifying what guild someone is in, if there isn't one already. But that could/would be abused if not done properly, good idea but I'd how long it would take as it would be more complex
  • Options
    I think we had a thread like this in the past couple of weeks, but I'd love to see a gwent-style card game in Ashes :) would be very cool to collect rare cards from around the world, and then be able to play a parlor card game with them against NPCs and/or other players!
  • Options
    I'd definitely play. Let's all play bingo!!! :smiley:
  • Options
    AkaBear said:

Would have to add a function into the extension for identifying what guild someone is in, if there isn't one already. But that could/would be abused if not done properly, good idea but I'd how long it would take as it would be more complex
    Yeah, our bigger project will have a guild registry, but that's outside of the scope of this game probably.  

I think I can do user authentication w/ the cookie since I'm actually piggy backing off of the ashesofcreation.com site.  
  • Options
    Ghyx said:
    I think we had a thread like this in the past couple of weeks, but I'd love to see a gwent-style card game in Ashes :) would be very cool to collect rare cards from around the world, and then be able to play a parlor card game with them against NPCs and/or other players!
    do you remember the name on that?  i'd love to go look.  hard to find threads tho...

also, as a future idea, we could RNG to find cards throughout the forums.
  • Options
    @Ninja Shadow thanks mate!
  • Options
    Out of that other thread, the only viable options I saw were:

1. Cups - one player picks where the bean is, the system rotates the cup, the other player guesses.
    2. Cards - poker, war, etc.  I guess we could make a unique card set.  

did anyone ever play?
    http://www.looneylabs.com/games/firefly-fluxx
  • Options
    Magic the gathering. I saw a few deck boxes on @GMSteven 's desk. 
  • Options
    @Planeswalker MTG just keeps popping up today.
  • Options
    :) because it's awesome lol. I still play every now and then with friends!
  • Options
    I would love to see some AoC themed 'parlor' games. Nothing Magic the Gathering anytime soon sort of complexity, but a game to have some silly fun with.
  • Options
    Something can be done with Nodes,  like "Conquer the Map" kinda games working on luck aka dice. Same type nodes can build alliance as well as being enemy.

The node you're charge of can get positive or negative thing going around depending by the card you've selected. 

If you have a religion node, the quality of the node will depend on religion cards. Negative things are: "a new religon emerged into society", "people lose faith in god" if you get one of these three times your node becomes autonomous or you need to summon the god to make people believe her/him again.  To counter negative sides, the game might demand "populate the clerics" or you have to change your second class to balance it.

Each node type also might force you to be one of the classes.
    Summoner and Cleric for Religion nodes. Hunter and Rogue for Economic. Fİghter and Tank for Military. Bard and Mage for Science. (Just saying)

But depending on your poisiton and the things that you want to do in game, you need to alter your second class. Like if you're gonna attack you need to change it to Fighter, if you're gonna defense, then it'll be Tank, if the node of yours has low entertainment and happiness then you need to change it to bard etc.

I think explain the things in my mind pretty  weird and confusing, but there you go.