Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Realistic dark nights, making torch a requirement

One thing that always bothers me with a lot of games is that the nights arent dark enough. Imagine walking through the woods at night and having an very limited line of sight. This would encourage people to always make sure to carry a lightsource when traveling at night, because it should be dangerous to be out at that time. This would also help to add with the immersion and making day and night phases actually matter. I love walking through woods at night when its super dark and just listen to the owls howling, carrying my lantern. I think that would make the game so much better.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    I love Day and night settings :3 I'm certain that Ashes are going for this approach with an added twist - there may be lanterns etc but I think the best lighting will come from utility skills from certain classes ^^ The example in Ashes streams have been the mage light orb thing ^^
    i don't think their dark is dark enough yet - but I imagine something like bdo down the line ^^ 
    it just adds a layer of excitement xD imagine a planned siege at night? XD
  • Options
    Totally! Thats what i mean dude. Attacking a caravan or even protecting one at night just makes everything more exciting especially if it feels like its actually night time! And yes for mages it could be a spell or orb of light! For a fighter in heavy armor id like to see the classic torch option available
  • Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTWhIF5cqI
    @1:24 minutes :3
    oooo yes xD greater threats doing caravan trades at night but risk/reward might be better that'll be interesting :3 
  • Options
    Diura said:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHTWhIF5cqI
    @1:24 minutes :3
    oooo yes xD greater threats doing caravan trades at night but risk/reward might be better that'll be interesting :3 
    I was wondering myself whether they'd work the corruption system into the day and night of the game. If you PK'd someone during the day the penalty would be so severe it would be foolish to try, but during night it was more feasible as you're less likely to be seen, get caught by NPC guards and so on. It is potentially fluff mechanics but I agree that it would add a layer of immersion and depth to the everyday world.
  • Options
    (Damn! Some of these new sigs!!  :o   )

We'll have to see how available those torch globes are for everyone.
    I don't think we will be using conventional torches much.

Corruption seems to be more of a supernatural curse from the gods than anything that relies upon mortal witnesses.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    Corruption seems to be more of a supernatural curse from the gods than anything that relies upon mortal witnesses.
    Fair point indeed, and there's a lot we don't know but I know Intrepid have to draw the line somewhere. I for one wouldn't be too enthusiastic about having a magic bauble following me around all time as it would get annoying fast.
  • Options
    Dygz said:
    (Damn! Some of these new sigs!!  :o   )

We'll have to see how available those torch globes are for everyone.
    I don't think we will be using conventional torches much.

I agree it being a supernatural curse but I also imagine it being a kind of pandora box thing in which mortal weakness causes corruption to mutate - kinda like that's why being a pker "bad" causes so much negative effects xD 
    Aaaah I can't wait to leaaaarrnnnn more xD 

but yeah I don't think global torches will be as big a thing ^^ maybe we just need to make mage friends - it encourages group play I guess xD
  • Options
    yeah tbh i just want day and night to mean something, normally it gets pitch black out at night, only source of light would be the moon (in the era before city lights ofcourse) I for one really appreciate that gloomy feeling of being out at night. Only problem that could occur here is that there would be no way of "sleeping" or "waiting" for night to become day, like resting at an inn to make time go faster, since the day and night sequence would be equal for everyone, and for those who only have time to play when its night, it would put them at an disadvantage then.

There is surely a way to fix this potential problem
  • Options
    I like the idea of having really dark nights. One of my more memorable moments of playing the beta of black desert online was been surrounded by mobs at night which was pitch black and i didn't have a lantern. Now the game is so bright at night you don't need a lantern at all now. It definitely adds a lot more immersion to the game when nights are dark
  • Options
    We've seen a mage conjure a ball of magical light to provide a light source in a cavern in one of the videos Intrepid released, so I believe light will be at least somewhat important. Having a torch equipped at night to actually see anything around the character is fine, as long as it doesn't take away your weapon slot. If that's the case, portable lanterns that can be attached to your clothing/backpack might be a really good thing.
  • Options
    Black desert did this in one of there betas. Just about pitch black.  Everyone like it.  However they never use those night settings again.  I think they were worried that new players who log on at night would get too confused. 
  • Options
    OH YES!!! Perfect idea!!! I've seen a few vids about BDO with the pitch black nights with grasshopper sounds... Just perfect if you ask me. I like the idea of walking around with a torch in your hand and a mage with the light orb.
  • Options
    One thing that always bothers me with a lot of games is that the nights arent dark enough. Imagine walking through the woods at night and having an very limited line of sight. This would encourage people to always make sure to carry a lightsource when traveling at night, because it should be dangerous to be out at that time. This would also help to add with the immersion and making day and night phases actually matter. I love walking through woods at night when its super dark and just listen to the owls howling, carrying my lantern. I think that would make the game so much better.

What do you guys think?
    Absolutely great idea!
  • Options
    Tul'nars might possibly not require light sources. 
  • Options
    Tul'nars might possibly not require light sources. 
    Ooooooooooooooo maybe they have like a "night vision" :0 That be super cool actually xD
  • Options
    Make me really happy to see that someone agrees with me on this! Thanks :) 
  • Options
    Make me really happy to see that someone agrees with me on this! Thanks :) 
    Just someone?!??! What is this madness... This duck here also agreed that it was a good idea.
  • Options
    But this world has magic. Why only torch light. I like an illumination spell besides that flying around orb.
  • Options
    Dolphin said:
    But this world has magic. Why only torch light. I like an illumination spell besides that flying around orb.
    Don't know. When i'm walking around in Skyrim during the night with a torch and "secunda" Skyrim night music playing in the background, it just feels more natural. It feels more relaxing with that red glow from your torch on the surroundings.
  • Options
    Dolphin said:
    I was only suggesting having both options available, i believe that magic should be limited to mages and other spellcasters, if anyone can learn basic magic it kinda loses its exclusiveness, you know?
  • Options
    replacing burning torches could be a bit of a drag having to carry around multiple torches. Maybe you could have fire flies trapped in a lantern that gave off light then you would not have to keep changing your torch. I am not a fan of pitch black nights anyway. I'd find myself avoiding going out in the night and staying near camp crafting
  • Options
    Dolphin said:
    I was only suggesting having both options available, i believe that magic should be limited to mages and other spellcasters, if anyone can learn basic magic it kinda loses its exclusiveness, you know?
    As a Dwarf I'd rather have a lantern hanging from my belt than be forced to have a magical orb following me around all night.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Dolphin said:
    As a Dwarf I'd rather have a lantern hanging from my belt than be forced to have a magical orb following me around all night.
    If you see my magical orb in the dark, you better run dwarf :tongue:
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    Kratz said:
    Dolphin said:
    If you see my magical orb in the dark, you better run dwarf :tongue:
    I'll run from no Elf you twinkle toe'd, gown loving, flower cuddling fairy wench! :p 
  • Options
    Relwoh said:
    replacing burning torches could be a bit of a drag having to carry around multiple torches. Maybe you could have fire flies trapped in a lantern that gave off light then you would not have to keep changing your torch. I am not a fan of pitch black nights anyway. I'd find myself avoiding going out in the night and staying near camp crafting

well i think thats cool in its own way, opens for more time to actually do crafting instead of anything else.

Setting up a camp in the middle of the night would imo be really fun haha
  • Options
    Though I am a fan of the dark nights and think it is a good idea, it would have implemented in a way that keeps people from just changing their own contrast/brightness to see, otherwise it will cause pvp problems

Really like the idea
  • Options
    Do it! Make it dark as hell, so just your apponents or mobs eyes shine in the light! 

Bring a moon light into play making the nights of the month go from light to very dark and  back again and I will like it even more!
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Dolphin said:
    As a dwarf we glow naturally after a few ales xD we are sorted :3
  • Options
    Red nose because you're drunk, yup can't miss that. Even in the dark.
  • Options
    Diura said:
    Kratz said:
    Dolphin said:
    As a dwarf we glow naturally after a few ales xD we are sorted :3
    Some "glow" more than others lassie ;)