Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Realistic dark nights, making torch a requirement

Comments

• Options
    I would love some classes/races to have night sight as a skill if that was the case
  • Options
    @nagash yeah for example. that would be sick, or just the fact that your flaming sword kind of lights up the area a bit
  • Options
    @nagash yeah for example. that would be sick, or just the fact that your flaming sword kind of lights up the area a bit
    that really would be interesting 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    I prefer to have a light orb. I just like it and it feels natural that in a magic world you would use magic, not a torch :P 
    In a magic world there should be tons of magical items with small useful spells for people who are not mages to use.

I mean... in our current world with electricity, which one of us would use torch? Almost no one. Because there are better solutions.
    I believe in a world with magic and science nodes many better solutions should be available.,
  • Options
    One thing that always bothers me with a lot of games is that the nights arent dark enough. Imagine walking through the woods at night and having an very limited line of sight. This would encourage people to always make sure to carry a lightsource when traveling at night, because it should be dangerous to be out at that time. This would also help to add with the immersion and making day and night phases actually matter. I love walking through woods at night when its super dark and just listen to the owls howling, carrying my lantern. I think that would make the game so much better.

What do you guys think?
    I would absolutely LOVE to have a true day/nigh cycle in an MMO again.

The only MMO I played that had this was DAoC. All others have had "night" more like dusk (ala WoW). One of the scariest nights I ever spent in an MMO was in DAoC.......I was exploring a bit beyond my level and got trapped on a hillside without a torch, surrounded by mobs that were well above my level. They were continually moving around and all I could see was their nametags when relatively close. Death in DAoC meant losing a good chunk of EXP so I had to stay hyper alert until morning came.

As others have pointed out, this also opens the possibility of spells that could give you infra/ultra vision or even races like the Tulnar that would have this as part of their genetic makeup.

Aside from that, this being a PvP game makes using a light source at night a tactical choice because you might be able to see at night but that torch/lantern is like a beacon in the night, alerting others (like potential PKers) to your exact position.
  • Options
    Hahahaha I remember being out in the battlefields of DAoC and having to remind people to put out their torches because you could be seen from miles away with them on.  EQ would have pitch black without some races having a light source like a lightstone from those eye mobs or torches.

In fact, I was going to suggest light stones that you could either come across while adventuring or buy from a vendor.  I could see light stones embedded into jewelry and gear to give you the light you need at night if you chose to have it.
  • Options
    thats a really cool idea T-elf! 
  • Options
    Lightstones or torches, both are good ideas :)
  • Options
    Everquest had the dark nights the first few years it was out, it was a pain in the but, constantly getting lost.  Finally gave up and started playing a Dark Elf so I could have Ultravision.
  • Options
    @Dragonpriest  yeah they will have to implement it in a way that isnt bothersome or annoying to have to deal with, which i think is possible.
  • Options
    yeah, i agree, it is possible.  And also give some races low-light vision and ultra-vision, that would be cool too.
  • Options
    I'm all for darkness :)  Especially in dungeons or somewhere when there simply wouldn't be a natural ambient light source.  PITCH dark!

Outside will depend on the weather, the time of day, the moonlight, etc. But hopefully nighttime feels like nighttime, not WoWnighttime. 
  • Options
    Exactly! That would be so sweet ^_^

• Options
    Lethality said:
    I'm all for darkness :)  Especially in dungeons or somewhere when there simply wouldn't be a natural ambient light source.  PITCH dark!

Outside will depend on the weather, the time of day, the moonlight, etc. But hopefully nighttime feels like nighttime, not WoWnighttime. 
    I'm pretty sure Steven has confirmed this will be the case because you can carry torches and the mage class will be able to summon some sort of orb that will give off light. 
  • Options
    i would very muhc like night time to very very very impactfull. xtreme dark.the kind you could actualy do a secret raid. or hide in the bushes because someone cant visualy see you. bring a torch and bam your found. 10/10 idea
  • Options
    +1 this idea for sure. I prefer a realistic level of darkness.
    I can see it now, you are traveling through the brush and an old man wearing a gray robe approaches you. As he steps into the light, he says, "Hello. Stay awhile and listen."
  • Options
    At first I was like nuuuuuu then I was like wait I play a rogue.... this helps me stab people I don't like! So sure!

Just make it a class ability or something, and walk slowly with dramatic music and your valuables easy to loot...all alone. Oh and forget your weapon at home. =p
  • Options
    Nights should be dark. I would also love to see different creatures spawning after sunset. Nights should be more dangerous than daytime.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    i would love to see torches become a thing as mages have the spell to illuminate the area around them, if they don't make night a real thing and torches useful it really makes that spell useless and just a hype gimmick. also i love when games make u sacrifice your offhand for a torch through an area unless you know it like the back of your hand. it adds a level of difficulty and immersion imo
  • Options
    edited June 2017
  • Options
  • Options
    Noespark said:
    i would love to see torches become a thing as mages have the spell to illuminate the area around them, if they don't make night a real thing and torches useful it really makes that spell useless and just a hype gimmick. also i love when games make u sacrifice your offhand for a torch through an area unless you know it like the back of your hand. it adds a level of difficulty and immersion imo
    this
  • Options
    I personally believe that few things create more atmosphere than a truly dark, starry night. Totally agree with OP on this.

I would love to see darkness exploited to arrange night ambushes, and as a decoy also. A lone wanderer carrying his torch in the night may look like an easy target, but who knows for sure if he is truly alone? Maybe his allies are hidden nearby, unseen in the darkness around...
  • Options
    I wouldnt mind seeing pets that could light up the area; some sort of utility pet that has passive off glow!  :o
  • Options
    I kind of want to see a group torch option, like a torch the height of a staff or guild banner that group members can carry around, and plant right into the ground should a combat scenario start. This way all the players have free hands for their weapons, etc and they can control the fight around the light source.  

Combat ends, someone in the group can pick up the torch again, and off you go in he night. 

Some enemies might try to take advantage of this, by either trying to lure allies away from the light radius, into the darkness..... or by trying to knock over the torch during the fight.  

Fighting at night should have different priorities and tactics, opposed to the day time. Don't you think?
  • Options
    Fighting at night should have different priorities and tactics, opposed to the day time. Don't you think?
    Agreed. On a pitch black night, planning an attack would be extremely difficult and risky: you can never predict how many enemies you are going to fight, you cannot be sure about their classes, and so on. It wouldn't be a matter of the strongest individuals anymore, but (maybe?) of how the group is able to fight as one.

As a side note, I guess Mages, with their light orbs, could become easier target  :) And I think that rogues would hide themselves easier in the pure darkness.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Diura said:
    Tul'nars might possibly not require light sources. 
    Ooooooooooooooo maybe they have like a "night vision" :0 That be super cool actually xD
    I demand it now. Elves and dwarves can have their infravision.
  • Options
    elvs have farsight, drow have nightvision
  • Options
    @Noespark
    Ehhh maybe now. But I definitely remember elves having infravision. Darkvision was introduced later on. Besides https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Elf even in 5e they have darkvision. so Idk where you got that. Or if your not running off DnD junk let me know lol.

• Options
    Bannith said:
    @Noespark
    Ehhh maybe now. But I definitely remember elves having infravision. Darkvision was introduced later on. Besides https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/5e_SRD:Elf even in 5e they have darkvision. so Idk where you got that. Or if your not running off DnD junk let me know lol.
    LOTR + D&D the old and new testaments of fantasy :smiley: