Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Death penalty

They talked about getting negative experience when dying, which im a big fan of. I think there should be a penalty for dying as that only encourages survival, and something diffrent from the classic gear durability loss.

thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    They talked about getting negative experience when dying, which im a big fan of. I think there should be a penalty for dying as that only encourages survival, and something diffrent from the classic gear durability loss.

thoughts?
    Negative experience, sure. But I doubt it that they will let you demote a lvl if you die to much. Perhaps the exp will drop to 0, but it will never demote you. Would be kinda unfair for the newbies that die a lot by pkers.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited June 2017
    Dolan said:

thoughts?
    Negative experience, sure. But I doubt it that they will let you demote a lvl if you die to much. Perhaps the exp will drop to 0, but it will never demote you. Would be kinda unfair for the newbies that die a lot by pkers.
     yeah they already said that its not the same as losing xp that will eventually get you de-leveled. its just that you gain negative xp which you will have to get rid off again i suppose, eventually.
  • Options
    As long as you don't lose exp for pvp, I'm cool with it.
  • Options
    Classic gear durability loss is something I would vote yes for. The only reason for that is because AoC is focussing more on crafters unlike other mmorpgs. Durability loss would encourage crafters to deliver more supplies to those in need of it, the pkers for example ;)
  • Options
    Maybe something like PvP point loss. If you PvP a lot, you will earn more points on the way which you could spent on upgrades. Upgrades like your skills deals 1% more PvP damage. If you die during PvP, you can lose some PvP points which will prevent you from buying that so badly desired upgrade. Perhaps it will make PvPers think twice before attacking someone because of the risk in losing points.
  • Options
    Heavy durability los on death is enough, no other penally needed.
    If your whole gear need to be changed after 5 death, it forces you to try not die, while it isn't too punishing for casual or heavy PvP players.
    It also helps crafting being healthy, as there would be constantly need for new items.
  • Options
    Dolan said:
    Classic gear durability loss is something I would vote yes for. The only reason for that is because AoC is focussing more on crafters unlike other mmorpgs. Durability loss would encourage crafters to deliver more supplies to those in need of it, the pkers for example ;)
    Oh i agree, i dont want to see it removed! I''m just saying i hope to see something diffrent as a death penalty :) Gear durability loss is super key and a good aspect to any gear based game.
  • Options
    It sounds like something they did in Neocron. Where you got xp debt that would last for a period of time and then wear off. You did not actually loose any xp. Just a guess though.
  • Options
  • Options
    Negative XP, stat dampening, loot and gear loss penalties apply to PvP deaths.

There isn't much information on PvE death penalties at the moment.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    lexmax said:

You read it wrong, there are no stat dampening for deaths.
  • Options
    what happens if you are already dead?
  • Options
    I'm no fan of durability loss. It's not a big deal if they don't include item break(loss) at 0 durability.
    XP loss is acceptable as it is easily regained.
    I feel like penalizing corrupt players so heavily without giving some benefit to being a player killer will probably put a damper on the number of players who purposely become corrupt. Now I know this is only speculation but it wouldn't make being a bounty hunter worth the time and effort.
  • Options
    The death penalty is you have to listen to Nagash preach on why you should stay dead and it's benefits =p
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    MADE said:
    lexmax said:

You are correct, the corruption penalty isn't a death penalty: Source :)
  • Options
    The harsher, the better. As a paper&pen old school player, I'm a fan of permadeath anyway.
  • Options
    MADE said:
    lexmax said:

It has been shared that currently, deaths lead to negative xp and accrued negative xp could lead to dampened stat through stat degradation, lower health/mana etc. So there seems to be stat dampening for deaths that you'll have to "clear" after each death.

Dolan said:

thoughts?
    You gain negative xp from deaths, not lose xp. So you'll have to gain xp to clear that negative xp debt to "recover from death".  

• Options
    I think death penalties are amazing, but should be limited to "Hardcore" servers. To implement it on all servers could discourage new players, especially if ganking becomes an issue. 

Plus the idea of a "hardcore" server is appealing, where mobs can hit more and have more health and death holds a greater penalty. Though should be disabled in raids and dungeons perhaps., unless voluntarily.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    lexmax said:

PvE death penalties: includes experience debt, durability loss, as well as dropping a portion of carried raw materials (which can then be looted).

PvP death penalties are either normal, half or 3x-4x depending on how one is flagged when killed, etc.
  • Options
    The death penalty is you have to listen to Nagash preach on why you should stay dead and it's benefits =p
    Nice signature, @Valentines:)
  • Options
    Dolan said:
    Maybe something like PvP point loss. If you PvP a lot, you will earn more points on the way which you could spent on upgrades. Upgrades like your skills deals 1% more PvP damage. If you die during PvP, you can lose some PvP points which will prevent you from buying that so badly desired upgrade. Perhaps it will make PvPers think twice before attacking someone because of the risk in losing points.
    I could totally go for something like that.
  • Options
    Dolan said:
    I could totally go for something like that.
    While a wonderful idea if there was a difference between PVP and PVE in this game, since there is going to be no difference in gear, abilities, stats, or other stuff between PVE/PVP don't see how they would implement that. It seems clear that many of the people posting have no idea what they have stated how stuff is going to actually work. Then again, very early days in development, and they could change everything (not likely).
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Dygz said:
    lexmax said:

PvE death penalties: includes experience debt, durability loss, as well as dropping a portion of carried raw materials (which can then be looted).

PvP death penalties are either normal, half or 3x-4x depending on how one is flagged when killed, etc.
    Well, IS started off by saying that PvE death penalties are the same as PvP, which is fine. But then they went on to say that XP debit may not be a thing in PvE. Durability loss and percentage of raw materials are still on the table, but they are also talking about other debuffs (such as HP loss) and then they say that they're not exactly sure how PvE death penalties will work. So IDK :confounded:
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I don't know why you wouldn't want a death penalty in PvP in an open PvP game...
  • Options
    I don't know why you wouldn't want a death penalty in PvP in an open PvP game...
    I checked my answer and didn't write that at all? I was talking about PvE death penalties. The PvP death penalties have been described in detail.
  • Options
    sorry i should have tagged someone, my fault. It wasn't you @lexmax

That was directed towards @Dragonpriest
  • Options
    i would like a good 5% xp loss/dept for dying in PvE. lets be real. people need to stop running into every room headlong and actually think again. i want a world of CONSEQUENCE.
  • Options
    @lexmax Thanks for the link.

@WinterAssassin Because there are idiots that would camp (more like grief) other players to just make them loose exp/get deeper in exp debt.

That is why I'm against it for PVP.
  • Options
    @Dragonpriest  then they would gain more and more corruption and ability to drop more and more gear
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @dragonpriest now it would happen more often since they aren't afraid to lose exp in pvp no?

as @noespark just said, the fix is already to give corruption for those people. taking away the loss of exp makes it so corruption serves less of a purpose