Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Immersion breakers

A couple of mine are:
  • Texture Popping (BDO has such amazing graphics... except this!)
  • People instantly sprinting everywhere. Walk before you run you whippersnappers!
What are your MMO immersion busting bugbears?

Comments

• Options
    Oh man, my biggest is funky names.

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

Not so much the game's fault, but I do prefer lore based naming restrictions. 

• Options
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

This. It's super annoying. 
  • Options
    Yes names is one that gets on my nerves, I also dislike it when zone chat is filled with real world events especially politics and the arguments it causes. Yes I know that most games allow you to turn off zone chat but its how the community communicates so why should I. 
  • Options
    For me it comes down to zoning.

This is where despite how much I love the lore behind Warcraft, I hate how much of the game world is designed.

Moving immediately from woodland into jungle or from glacier into tropics or from any number of crazy geographic transitions sucks.
  • Options
    Hummmm , , , 

have to to say that off the wall Creazy and silly names to the point of being unreasonable are a top offender. The main one would have to be the players whom jump around like a bunch of squirrels on coffee during mating season. {*_*}   

hummmmmm , , , , *smiles* , , , , can we have insta portals ? Like in Archeage ? So that we can open portals into the middle of sea, and watch them all jump in it by accident. :) 
  • Options
    I never truly understood the "mah immersion" crowd. It is not like this is some sort of full dive VR simulation, you are looking at a screen.  I would think that can of Mt. Dew or your keyboard is enough to signal that you are not immersed into the actual world, this all seems like personal nitpicking of how other people in the game around you play (because it doesn't match your expected playstyle).
  • Options
    I rather dislike too fancy costumes and mounts with shiny lights and what not, I prefer a more sober look in MMORPG's.
    As mentioned before, funky names are probably the worst thing, in addition to RL chat spams. 
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

So... You're going to hate my name I suppose? :wink:
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

My name is no good? ;c
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

My name is no good? ;c
    You and I are on his list... Brace yourself!
  • Options
    Dolan said:
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

My name is no good? ;c
    You and I are on his list... Brace yourself!

• Options
    I have long wished for game developers to give us an enhanced "ignore" function where if you add someone to your ignore list, they disappear from your screen as well as your chat.  Obviously, this would have to be disabled in any sort of combat situation or if you flag yourself as a combatant, to prevent getting slaughtered by an enemy you can't see.  But I'm OK with that, because when I'm in combat, immersion is not on the top of my priority list.
  • Options
    My biggest immersion break? Other people.

I just want to be alone in a dystopian wasteland. The fact that the game isn't designed for this type of gameplay, being an "massive multiplayer", shouldn't really matter as it is 2017 and the way I feel should really trump everything else.
  • Options
    The only thing that breaks my immersion of a game is when real life gets in the way of me playing my game
  • Options
    For me, the types of things people added to their houses broke immersion more then anything. Specifically things like RL soda machines. In first person shooters all the jumping does make it, for me, impossible to take the game seriously.

@Hatchet, I am not saying "don't put RL soda machines on your homestead, it ruins the game for me." I am just indicating that for me it breaks immersion. Yes, I am in fact not there and the keyboard/tower/monitor are obvious indications of that. However, similar to reading a book, I like to feel as close to the story/characters as possible even if the book is fantasy and I am sitting on the couch. For that matters, bad writing with Meta/4th-wall-breaking styles of writing usually turn me away. It can be done, but that doesn't mean everyone should do it.

For me immersion is more based on not seeing RL mimicked in the game through add placements or characters designed to represent a current fad.
    *please no fidget spinners*
  • Options
    Cyn said:

I just want to be alone in a dystopian wasteland. The fact that the game isn't designed for this type of gameplay, being an "massive multiplayer", shouldn't really matter as it is 2017 and the way I feel should really trump everything else.
    You forgot your <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags.  :)
  • Options
    Azathoth said:
    However, similar to reading a book, I like to feel as close to the story/characters as possible even if the book is fantasy and I am sitting on the couch.
    This sums it up.  Well said.
  • Options
    Possum said:
    Cyn said:

So I did! I should probably just make those tags my signature to be honest.
  • Options
    "Modern clothing" in a fantasy setting xD hate it xD I don't want to be seeing football gear or tshirts and jeans in the cash shop xD
  • Options
    Cyn said:
    Possum said:
    Cyn said:

So I did! I should probably just make those tags my signature to be honest.
    Or use this for your signature...

• Options
    Diura said:
    "Modern clothing" in a fantasy setting xD hate it xD I don't want to be seeing football gear or tshirts and jeans in the cash shop xD
    Or schoolgirl uniforms.
  • Options
    Possum said:
    I have long wished for game developers to give us an enhanced "ignore" function where if you add someone to your ignore list, they disappear from your screen as well as your chat.  Obviously, this would have to be disabled in any sort of combat situation or if you flag yourself as a combatant, to prevent getting slaughtered by an enemy you can't see.  But I'm OK with that, because when I'm in combat, immersion is not on the top of my priority list.
    I've wanted that too, ever since SecondLife where people could literally be anything they want, so of course they choose to be walking genitals. But yeah as you say, the drawback would be unexpected PvP :flushed:
  • Options
    Zerging. Zergers. I just hate them. 
  • Options
    Anything that it out of place according to the lore and time frame it is based off
  • Options
    Quests that are simply incorrect about you.

For example: In Elder Scrolls, near the beginning, a person questions your story because you are wearing slaver armor. Even if you have no slaver armor on or are carrying any. 

Drives me nuts. 
  • Options
    For me, it's the fact you run into numerous players whose characters look just like yours - always disappointing, and yeah, the shitty lack of imagination for names is pure garbage. Maybe include a name generator for those who can't be arsed to use an ounce of imagination?

But yeah, I just hope character customisation, physical and gear-wise is spot on. Oh, and please, no more Guild Wars 2 A-line skirts for player armour - thanks ;)
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

My name is no good? ;c
    @ReaperOfCookies @Dolan I said it was annoying, I didn't say anything about it breaking the game or me giving you grief about it.  I see a stupid name, I keep it to myself and might say something to myself, but keep it out of the game.
  • Options
    Standing in a line to kill / collect to complete a quest objective.......
  • Options
    Crymoar said:
    Standing in a line to kill / collect to complete a quest objective.......
    Oh yes... Everyone standing at one spot where an important mob will spawn for a quest item. Get 3 seconds to hit him once or you won't get the quest item because so many people are there that the mob dies in 3 seconds...
  • Options
    Karthos said:

Examples:
    -XxXDragonSlyrXxX
    -DonaldTrump
    -Best_Rogue

My name is no good? ;c
    @ReaperOfCookies @Dolan I said it was annoying, I didn't say anything about it breaking the game or me giving you grief about it.  I see a stupid name, I keep it to myself and might say something to myself, but keep it out of the game.
    Oh I'm well aware, so no worries ;)