Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Character Creation

I would like there to be a lot of malleability when it comes to creating my characters. I spend several hours creating my character to play with. I hate when I only get a few minutes to make a character due to lack of depth.

Comments

• I don't know if you've played BDO, but IS have said that the CC system will be at least as good as that. In my opinion BDO has one of the best CC systems in any MMO.
  • " ... I spend several hours creating my character to play with. " 
    Same. Lols, the funny part about that ... is that i spend more time in making a Character name than i do creating my characters  :D
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I would like there to be a lot of malleability when it comes to creating my characters. I spend several hours creating my character to play with. I hate when I only get a few minutes to make a character due to lack of depth.

Intrepid Studios have also stated that they would like to release their CC pre-launch so that players can work on their characters before the official launch. That would save you a fair amount of time on the day of release. :)
  • @Kratz That would be great! That way @Azurl doesn't have to wait for me too long. We can play together right away! I also take forever creating my character..
    I can't wait to see what they have in store for us in this CC. <3
  • Thanks for the feedback. I hope there is a great deal of individualization I can use to create my character. Thanks.
  • How does an E-5 have six rows of ribbons plus no unit deployment crest? Sure you didn't add some for the photo's sake? Side note: The 5th and 6th rows need to be right aligned instead of middle due to the lapel, and I'm pretty sure the 5th needs to hold only two instead of three as the lapel covers the third. As for your post: I agree with you and prefer sliders over a set number of options on character creation. I think a slider allows a more personalized feel. Do you prefer sliders or presets? I hope hair has multiple color options, for those of us that want to add a hint of another color.
  • I would too like that character creation offers a lot of breast customization.

... I meant, character customization.

Who said that?
  • I seriously hope we can have waist lenght hair, seriously most mmos dont even have that, it's quite realistic too. Also heterochromia would be nice too :blush:
  • @AutumnLeaf You know it never really occurred to me but I think you are right there is a distinct lack of longer hair-styles but the are quite common in fantasy settings from a thematic or narrative sense.

Also if they release the character creator some time in advance of the launch that would be really cool of them. It would make the launch rather crowded but I know I would not feel the pressure of rushing character creation simply to get my character to look good or ensure the names I want to pick are not taken.
  • waist length hair is very difficult to pull off well in a game without it looking like a giant slab on your back modeled like hair. If they can do it that would be fantastic! But I don't want the game to suffer for it.

Also, PLEASE give us the option for women to be bald, and some hair styles that aren't traditionally "feminine" like buzz cuts.
  • That does seem to be the problem with wishlist posts like this. "I want enough detail to be able to see the pores on my characters face, and armpit hair should be modeled in real time to react to wind direction!" People for get that they have to render models for clothing and items that interact with all the various permutations without clipping or packet loss for performance in combat and such. So then you get the people who complain "Ugh, the viking helmet clips through my natural, curly hair!" or "OMG, this game is unplayable on my potato machine that I refuse to upgrade, but demand the game have these specific options." At a certain point they have to decide enough is enough. Either you have a smooth running game that looks good, or you have a stutter-filled rubberband of people standing around saying "I can't hit a mob due to lag, but damn, I look good!"
    Image result for naturally curly hair peanuts character
  • I wonder if they will have a 'get born' button where race and every cosmetic feature of your character is randomized; you pick your class and off you go as whoever you are.
    edited January 2018
    @UnknownSystemError

Either you have a smooth running game that looks good, or you have a stutter-filled rubberband of people standing around saying "I can't hit a mob due to lag, but damn, I look good!"

Lol speak for yourself, thats why they have lower settings for those who cant go epic.

I don't have a potato and i like to look damned good so i expect to be delighted. 

• I do speak for myself. I am running a 1080 currently, so no matter what they come up with my beast will be able to make it all shiny. They are well aware of at what point they need to stop adding bells and whistles to CC to make the game run. Unfortunately with the current mindset by a large chunk of welfare gamers out there that companies need to dumb down their product so they can play on their potatoes, or they will cry "unfair, unfair" and "you are losing my business" while they try to get the company to go f2p and free trial options. My post was in reference to the "why can't we have long, flowing, luxurious hair down to our collective asses, that moves independently with my every head toss?" crowd that thinks they are going to design character creation around that point. If you want a developers take on it, look to the discussion over flails. You have people in a minority going "Why o why can't we have flails?" Jeffrey points out that getting the physics and animation to work correctly is doable, just so resource intensive that is just isn't worth it. If they have to spend 6 months on a minor quality of life feature just to make a single, minor weapons animation smooth so people don't bitch,(and bitch they will, no matter how smooth), at a certain point they will just tune you out.
  • Yea i know and i agree that every little thing dosent need like several mechanics going on at once.

But i dont think its too far out of reason to suggest longer hairstyles thou cause in mmorpgs we really dont get a wide diversity of them. 

Plus i just really wanted to use the pic....... had it for days Lol.
  • Depth for character creation would be amazing but when you got your armour on and helmet unable to see any thing what's the point in it? 
    As much as I would love to create the shortest most hairy of dwarven woman, you can't see it while wearing armour. So if they do have a good creation kit I hope the put in hide helmet options.
  • I think they did say that they are 'inspired' by the BDO creator, well my choice of words could be wrong but it won't be much worse than that :3
    edited January 2018
    I like that BDO creator too. I like to take my time designing my characters and more options are always better. BUT I have to say: Enough is enough! I created some really crazy looking, normal looking and mysterious looking characters with that BDO creator. Something similiar is all I hope for. With even more opportunities I would be stuck in that editor forever! xD
  • This video might give you more information https://youtu.be/qkfssRwghes
  • I think the tulnar are  going to be split into 2 sub races like the others. So we could see beastly and humanoid sub races with distinct customization features.
  • Pinkberry said:
    I think the tulnar are  going to be split into 2 sub races like the others. So we could see beastly and humanoid sub races with distinct customization features.

I wouldn't say so tbh, the Tulnar are a collective of races that survived together in underground communities so over the years they're cultures mixed together and created this unified race called Tulnar, but the other races have clear distinctions between each other cultures, I'd say we will just get a lot more options for character creation for this race, well right now at the very least Tulnar are a 9th race rather than divided into 2.
  • I see that makes way more sence.

My thinking was if they had a humanoid sub race then its just humans with different animal aesthetics like the lynn race in blade and soul. Which was a race i absolutely loved for capturing that perfect niche of anime for me.
  • Hmm yeah I get you, but well the Lyn are a **** race :expressionless: well even if we don't get any of those beastman type customizations there probably will be some sort of accessories with animal ears etc. 

• You know what ill be greatfull if they just add some cosmetic ears of different types and call it a day lol.
  • The BDO creation was great and I cannot wait to see AoC's take on it.
  • Well hopefully the character creation system will surpass that of Black Desert as I wonder what the hell is the point of using unreal 4 if you are going to not go all out in customization. Once you get it at launch you don't have to come back later to improve on it for a long time.
  • Tomoyuki said:
    Well hopefully the character creation system will surpass that of Black Desert as I wonder what the hell is the point of using unreal 4 if you are going to not go all out in customization. Once you get it at launch you don't have to come back later to improve on it for a long time.
    Black Desert has amazing CC so I don't know how they want to make one even better apart from having more options and maybe allowing players to create their own parts, if they deem them to be good enough for the game ? ;3
  • As long as they have templates for characters that I can download due to my appalling creative skills like they did in Black Desert I'll be happy! Always have to tweak the ear lobe size for that unique flair though...
  • I dont wanna see those massive anime eyes, I mean the ones that cover half the face.