Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!

Does the combat system need a make over

Something more mondern needs to be in place. Something like BDO combat system or tera. The current system looks clunky and old school.

Comments

• We don't know anything about the Ashes combat system except some vague pre-alpha videos. Surely you need to wait until something is actually released before you can give it a makeover?
  • lexmax said:
    We don't know anything about the Ashes combat system except some vague pre-alpha videos. Surely you need to wait until something is actually released before you can give it a makeover?
    Better to make our intentions know now than later dont you think?
  • I think we should know a little more about the combat system from PAX, but if you are concerned about the pre-alpha, there is plenty of time to give constructive feedback. 
  • The current combat looks fine to me for a pre-alpha... and on the right track.
    Much better than Pantheon combat.
  • It's way too early at this point.  Only a handful of people have even experienced the combat system to date, so I don't know how you can logically conclude the combat system needs a make over.

I said this in another post.  You'll see the combat system go through many iterations before it's all said and done.  You'd have merit to your argument if this was 2019 and there's multiple betas and alphas worth of information and experience out there.
  • Bad polls ask leading questions. 
  • Flatline said:
    Something more mondern needs to be in place. Something like BDO combat system or tera. The current system looks clunky and old school.
    How could they revise something that isn't out yet. Besides, the system is going to be a mix system of action and tab. Probably like TESO or Gw2 or maybe even Wildstar. This is just me speculating of course.
  • Ashes of Creation is still in pre-alpha so lots of the mechanics etc that we have seen so far still needs to be polished. We have seen next to 0 combat so it is difficult to judge so far. At PAX in September we be able to see some of the combat in action but it is just a fragment of what we will see at launch ^^
  • Lets give them a chance. I prefer free aim systems and have argued for it but I think we are at a point where we need to see what they can do. If we find it's not working or isn't that fun in alpha then we can talk about changes. 
  • Having a hybrid system gives then flexibility. I'll wait to see more then give feedback. 
  • Quick thing I'm gonna input to this discussion; in their last livestream a few days ago, they received a question that basically asked 'If people test your combat system at PAX and the alpha, is there a chance the system will be changed?' And the answer, in a word, was yes. They are open to taking in tester feedback and are willing to even change somewhat major components of their combat if that change would be for the better. Given that, I'm willing to wait and see how it looks and feels from PAX videos in about a month and a half before I make any judgements. 
  • I've selected no because I haven't seen enough yet to make me think It's not going to work. The hybrid system will be fine imo but surely we need more info before we begin to talk about a revolution.  
  • Flatline said:
    lexmax said:
    We don't know anything about the Ashes combat system except some vague pre-alpha videos. Surely you need to wait until something is actually released before you can give it a makeover?
    Better to make our intentions know now than later dont you think?

So, your position is, "I know almost nothing about said combat system but I want it (whatever 'it' is) changed."?

That's your position?
  • we don't know much about it so we can't say that it is bad. on the same note combat is usually deeply embedded in the engine and hard to change. So... hopefully it is good and anything bad can be easily altered.

• I'd personally prefer those combat systems more, but you know it's like a bunch of gears. move one and nothing works the way it should.
    P.S clicked on yes due to lag *facepalm*
  • If your talking about the combat system then we don't know much about it but they have there is some type of hybrid system which contains the 2 types of combat systems, I can't remember what they are called though :mask::smile:
  • Quite honestly, I feel like some games have somewhat implemented what I'm about to describe, but haven't fully been able to execute it's implementation.

When you hit an NPC with a non-status ailment attack, what happens?  The NPC 'may' graphically stutter for a moment/turn red to indicate that it has taken damage or maybe even get pushed back ever so slightly, but that's it.  This keeps happening until it's HP bar hits 0, then it just dies.  5 people could be slashing the NPC through their face with gigantic swords, and you barely get any reaction from the NPC aside from it's HP bar going down.  This, for me, is not as immersive as I'd like things to be.

How can this problem be solved?  There's probably many solutions.  I personally believe every attack should invoke a defensive or retaliatory response, up until their HP/stamina/whatever is depleted, then a final blow death animation can take place, where your weapon/spell finally connects.  This would require a lot of animations per NPC per ability, so I can see why nobody has really bothered doing this.  If a hit gets through their defenses, it should be properly represented.  Combat should be visually stimulating.  Someone will make this happen one day!
  • Wait! What combat system ??? Did I miss something ? :)
  • No, you'd have to watch the media videos to get an idea.
  • Love Tera/BDO combat, better than most single player games. Hope they go in that direction. Tab targeting is ancient and clunky.
  • How can it need a make over when it's only in pre-alpha and we really don't know what their final plans are?  Or is it that you want a certain type of combat system only?
    Until we can test it we can't know.
  • I don't have any issues with the current state if combat considering how early it is into development. Time will tell if changes ar needed, but now is not that time.
  • It looks static and some kind of tab no charactercombos or real movement to see.
    A second alternative like action targeting will not be a real invention.
    So many key combos and movement or animations would be nice to see.
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    if its tab target like wow then yes, if its something like gw2, tera, wildstar (without the telegraph spam), bns or BD then no, but its to early to judge it. they allready said that the combat system we get to see at pax is only like 20% from what it will be in the end.
  • Yeah it's one thing to have an issue with their plan/vision, but I wouldn't be too concerned if what you've seen from the livestreams doesn't meet your expectations.  As the game goes through development keep an eye on the combat and give feedback as you see more .
  • Flatline said:
    Not at all.

There's nothing objectively better about "action" combat vs. targeted, rules-based combat. 

• lexmax said:
    I don't understand how we can say we want it changed when we have seen pre-alpha footage of one class... 
    Rather negative assuming that you won't like it before you even see it...
  • Lethality said:
    Flatline said:
    Not at all.

There's nothing objectively better about "action" combat vs. targeted, rules-based combat. 

And thats your opinion, wrong but solely your opinion..
  • we don't know yet, haven't seen a legitimate more progressed system to even make an informed decision on anything combat related.  

and bleh, i had a bunch of stuff typed up explaining why tab target even existed in the first place, and why a more action focus is the future or we can let the genre slowy and completely die out. it will become a niche audience and no one will be willing or able to afford to make an mmorpg on a decent scale. 

i'm just sooo tired and exhausted of holding down the rmb to turn quickly and efficiently that it hurts my head. in tab target games now i make a script for my mouse to be able to toggle RMB down since i hold it 95% of the time i play. it's made my mice last longer and my hands feel better.

never make anything like BDO combat....ever...unless it's a single player button spammer....that game is barely and i mean barely more complex than dynasty warriors lolol. and...there i went again....ehh forget everything i said. i'm tired of explaining this stuff, if no one else sees the problem..."ignorance is bliss" comes to mind.  live your life by avoiding knowledge and critical thinking at all cost, because once you have obtained one and developed the other....the world is far far worse place.  #lifelessonsofthejaded