Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Should /ignore be character or account?

Comments

• Options
    I like the idea of the two separate command one for all and one for individual character.
    But just to add a point here for all the 'free speech' people that are misunderstanding the whole concept. You do not have the right to say anything you want. Sorry but that is not what free speech is. Free speech is about your right not to be censored by the government. The rest of us can make you be quiet by "throwing you outa the club" so to speak. I just hope there is some type of moderator to keep these people quiet in chat.
  • Options
    I rarely use /ignore but when I do I mean business.
  • Options
    lexmax said:
    I also think there should be a temporary ignore option like a timeout for a day, because jerks aren't always jerks :)
    True, they could have gone off their meds for a couple of days or perhaps it just THAT time of the month........

• Options
    Account otherwise we would have to keep blocking bot's etc everytime they made a alt
  • Options
    I want both account wide ignore and account wide friend options. There are certain types of people that once I put them on ignore, my world becomes much better. And my friends are all alt crazy and it's annoying trying to track down every character that they have made so we can play together.
  • Options
    It should be account wide as it is still the same person behind the character.
  • Options
    I don't see why it needs to be account wide when just the character would suffice. As for people creating another character, after the fourth one that is enough evidence for a temp ban on the account, as most studios that aren't incompetent enforce a no harassment policy.

Also just a fyi, you don't need a account wide ignore if you don't have the system notifying the other player that they have been ignored. I think it would be nice to have all conversations be proximity based, so for them to even talk to you they need to be in the same tavern as you.
  • Options
    /agree with shunex.  Account wide due to bots and targeting. 
  • Options
    Xombie said:
    Dygz said:
    Both!
    A toggle for both would be ideal, but if I had to choose one I would have to choose individual character.
    I agree that a toggle would be nice, but I lean toward account. I don't like blocking people, but on the off chance I use it I'd want it to be thorough.
  • Options
    Only if the command is /404
  • Options
    There is also a filter system which is used in FFXIV which you can filter certain words or letters. If a gold seller would put in WWW or W.W.W in the chat you can filter those out, and its not just the words but the whole message. Maybe IS can look at a system like this as well.

• Options
    Definitely would want it to be account bound, people don't tend to change when they log in on another character. So it's better to avoid the chance you'll hear from them again in another guise!
  • Options
    Volias said:
    I have go with account wide, but not for the reason most would think. I'd like it for the gold seller/spam accounts that always seem to pop up.

Sure, the account gets banned after enough reports, but how long does that really take and how many alternate "fsadjklfsadjkl" have been made in that time frame to keep the spam going?
    ^
  • Options
    Kind of hard to say but probably individual character, I saw a few times people getting 'ignored' due to playing while drunk or simply having a bad day, if such a thing happens and they want to apologize then they could log onto an alt.

If they are just a pure asshole then simply ignore every single one of the characters spewing nonsense.
  • Options
    Kind of hard to say but probably individual character, I saw a few times people getting 'ignored' due to playing while drunk or simply having a bad day

If it happened once it will happen again.
    People have tendency to repeat things and behavior.
  • Options
    I prefer by account
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    Definitely account ;)
  • Options
    once a ****, always a ****. Block forever, bye. 
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited February 2018
    It's so easy to just switch characters. It requires a lil more effort to make another account.
  • Options
    Herdo said:
    I'd rather like to have an ignore option for each character, for the reasons stated above (spies, ect).

The ignore should be used if you just don't want to talk to somebody (for whatever reason - e.g. got into an argument).
    Therefore, there should also be an option to whitelist a character again.

If it comes down to harassment, I'd rather like to have a /report function.
    Or an advanced option in the customer service area.

Some people here might misuse an /ignore, when it actually should be a /report.
    Harassment in online games shouldn't be taken lightly by "ignoring" the issue. The issue will just search for the next "target".

Buuut isn't that character essentially the same person behind all the other characters they have? Therefore shouldn't it be the whole acct?
  • Options
    If you ignore accounts then you will be able to tell what characters are belonging to each player. This will spoil roleplaying and give the game away if someone wants to join 2 guilds as a spy. 
  • Options
    Relwoh said:
    If you ignore accounts then you will be able to tell what characters are belonging to each player. This will spoil roleplaying and give the game away if someone wants to join 2 guilds as a spy. 

If a player doesn't wish to have his all characters blocked he can chose to not be an asshat so he is not ignored. :)

Also account ignore can be "stealth", you ignore someones account without seeing the list of all his character in ignore list.

Also, the last, being able to ignore whole account has way to many advantages and it's pros heavily outweight any con from being able to spot a spy in your guild (and for me this is a pro also, not a con).

+ being able to ignore gold spammer (and all other spammer) accounts and all their chars instantly, without being subject to them just creating new chars and spamming again, till GM eventually bans them
    + being able to ignore bad people, not allowing their alts to annoy you repeatedly

- being able to spot a spy in your guild (after dedicating serious amount of effort coordinating with your guild members, testing who hears who, and who doesn't which is in it's own way demanding process, and really should reward you with spotting spies, if you dedicated this amount of effort to do it. Why should spies walk free?)

*last minus, is a plus in my book
  • Options
    @Gothix Can you elaborate on the spy con point? I feel like this would be the most detrimental.
  • Options
    @Tamoyuki

So first that I would suggest is that account ignore does not outright show you all characters on other players account. Rather If you Ignore someone lets say player named UnknownMachineProblem (all similarity with real persons is accidental) then you would have this name added to your ignore list. You would not hear any of his other characters, but his other characters would not be named in your ignore list, they would be ignored cause you have ignored that players account ID, but this ID is not visible to you, it is only visible to the system.

So now to the other point, if you are not paying attention, spy will still be able to function in your guild. If he is using discord voice, or discord chat he can write in guild chat very little or not at all, and get by undetected.

It is spys job to get under the radar, to not get attention drawn to himself, to stay behind the lines. Spy is not someone who is pillar of community inside the guild, but someone who is silent and withdrawn. Such people can get under the radar even if their main was ignored by certain other guild member.

Only if guild will be extremely observant, and apply effort to their security, investigate often behavior of their members etc. then they could notice the spy and get rid of him. But then in such case they deserve to get rid of the spy. Why would spies get free pass and get to be in other guilds without consequences or a chance to be detected?

If you are a good spy, and you are not an idiot on your other character so people ignore you, you can still do your spy job well.

And account ignore, helps with all other issues mentioned beforehand in this thread.

This is why I am heavily in favor of account ignore being an option available to players.
  • Options
    I understand the need for someone like you needing an account wide mute.. But sometimes it just comes down to the situation and heat of the moment when it comes to ignoring someone. 

If it's persistent hassle you're worried about due to having offended some troll, then it won't take long before you have their few characters on ignore anyway.

In other games, I've accidentally made some really good friends from bumping into their alt while also on an alt character, after finding out mains, we were the little scrap and headbutting we had of opinions a while back and no one really cares after a duration. It is just gaming, we're all there to have fun, not hold grudges.
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    I understand the need for someone like you needing an account wide mute.. But sometimes it just comes down to the situation and heat of the moment when it comes to ignoring someone. 

You know, in such case an un-ignore option exists too?
    If you realize that you ignored someone in heat of the moment, you are free to remove from ignore tomorrow.
  • Options
    Gothix said:
    Flameh0t said:

If you realize that you ignored someone in heat of the moment, you are free to remove from ignore tomorrow.
    Yeah exactly lol
    So what's the point in account bans over individual if you're just going to unblock them anyway xD
  • Options
    I think both options would be nice. I personally rarely block actual players, but I am a fan of options
  • Options
    If you have done something to annoy me to the point where you are ignored, then you will be on all accounts but that's just me 
  • Options
    Flameh0t said:
    Gothix said:
    Flameh0t said:

Yeah exactly lol
    So what's the point in account bans over individual if you're just going to unblock them anyway xD
    Where did I say I will unblock anyone?

My answer was for you, if you ignore someone only because of "heat of the moment" you can unblock him the next day so having account ban is not a problem.

I will be using account ban only on people I know i don't like, and on gold spammer accounts, and I will surely not be unblocking them.

You know, twisting someones words and making up some meaning that doesn't exist in someones message does not create an argument for you. But I guess you have nothing else to try anymore besides that...