Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Might aswell extend the Summer* crowd funding till Alpha.

Lets be honest, the summer crowd funding initiative was a lackluster spit in the pan of developer expectations.

For reasons that have been discussed to death in other threads...so no flaming please.

whether you are on the hype train or waiting in skeptical town station, the results cant be ignored.

As an OG kick starter backer myself. I see no harm in extending the Summer crowdfunding duration till the  Alpha access commences. Given the predicament extended crowd funding created for itself, whatever benefits or penalties culminated might as well keep going as the current numbers of summer backers is an embarrassment not worth boasting about all things considered.

I appreciate the wand of soggy compromise but hope Intrepid will learn, and not repeat mistakes caused by minority persuasion even if it was made with good intentions.

So yeah just extend the current crowd funding till alpha access.

Comments

• Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited July 2017
    I don't think it should be extended.
    The objective was not to rake in millions more dollars.
    The objective was to give people who wanted to pay by some other method than credit/debit cards to have a chance to participate.
    Doesn't matter whether that was 5 people or 10K people.

The opportunity was presented.
    People participated.
  • Options
    I didn't think the original kick starter should have been extended, but it did.

If the summer campaign was just about a warm fuzzy hug then why have a 10k goal limit, it doesn't take a magic wand to see the expected emphasis on funds generated,

So by that (70%) expectation there is no doubt that more dollars was the objective if not the primary objective. The summer campaign feels like a brown bag under the table compared to the kick starter celebrations.

And I am sorry but i don't agree with the limited payment option as an excuse to justify.
    there was ample time and methods to secure alternative payment methods other than credit.

what's the harm to be had now extending crowd funding...the damage has already been done what credibility is there left to lose.
  • Options
    Whatever Intrepid does...someone will be unhappy.  That is all i know!  
  • Options
    In a way I prefer to have it extended until alpha...why? well right now I am in a tight position IRL where I don't think I will be able to buy any add-ons. I however do want some of the add-ons, but RL is 1st and it makes me sad I wont be able to at this moment. If it was extended, then it would give me the time to be able to save up and support even more the game.
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    As someone who just found out I'd like it to be extended. so i'd have a chance to save and get a higher package as well.
  • Options
    I too would have preferred more time before putting down what I did during the KS. Yes, all of these arguments have been made and hopefully won't be made again.

@Dygz brings up the best point, it wasn't about the money. They had that before the KS. Being as how finding a true metric to gauge the additional payer input over one month is unlikely, I think IS chose a number that could be obtained but was not a "pipe dream."

I think the "Summer Backer" should end. I also think IS would benefit from a "pre-order" bonus package similar to one (or multiple) packages offered in both the KS and Summer Backer kit. I honestly consider most of what I back on KS that does not come w/ alpha/beta a pre-order special.

Like @Sintu noted, either way at least one person will be unhappy.
  • Options
    I for one am glad that the KS had been extended. I was going to put in $250 originally but then an unexpected car insurance, registration and car license bills popped up. In the end I was only able to pledge $25 on the last day and now that there's an option to upgrade pledges and get add-ons, I'm happy. Too me, Intrepid Studios is good in my books. :smile:

As for the summer sale, I don't mind that it's on, I mean, what's the big deal if someone else is able to get it? Seriously.
  • Options
    I am not unhappy more bewildered if anything.

There seems to be an assortment of double standards.

It's ok to extend KS but not extend the extension...

Surely all the preachers of total inclusiveness would approve of a prolonged funding campaign.

Why end it now...

did you double dip and buy some of those more exclusive* summer skins perchance? If it wasn't about money why support questionable actions.

Like i said originally all the damage has been done in regards to the crowd funding,

Extending it further can not harm things anymore at this point.

• Options
    Well, wasn't the KS upgrade thingie delayed for like, three weeks or something?
  • Options
    Vocal minority strikes again!
  • Options
    Who's this vocal minority? I'm so confused. >v<
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    In reference to the specific vocal minority who made demands/held ransom potential funding but only if pay pal was used.
    Which then was somewhere quoted as being a 70% potential market of crowd funders in contrast to the Original kickstarter backers, of which some of whom like myself were concerned with the method of extended funding at not necessarily the premise.

So as a result we have the summer funding outcome with less than 2k backers as it stands.

I can't see how i could be classed vocal minority when I stated that I am an original KS backer that had reservations about the extension and explained concerns at the time which eventuated. But due to the impotency of the summer campaign as is have no issue with it continuing onward until Alpha access commences.

• Options
    Those that were uproar over the KS only crowd funding and then when Summer Crowd funding went live were nowhere to be found.. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone that did fund the summer packages, just not those that bitches and moaned to only disappear!
  • Options
    Summer Crowdfunding is probably not the last "package" offer.
    The other independents developers continue to sell pledges/packs after Kickstarter campaign. For example : 
    - Crowfall : https://www.crowfall.com/en/store/
    - Pantheon RotF : https://pantheonmmo.com/join/
    So, I imagine the team has an idea on this subject  :D
    (+ sorry for my english again, correct me if necessary...)
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    edit : multiple post sorry...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    edit : multiple post sorry...
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    edit : wtf i can't delete :D  forum bug sorry...
  • Options
    There will be more (different) packages to buy in future.

The fact that this phase of crowdfunding is ending does not means store will offer nothing more ever. That would be just silly. :)
  • Options
    I think they've even said there will be packs later and will be offered up until launch. Though they won't offer the exclusive stuff.
  • Options
    Those that were uproar over the KS only crowd funding and then when Summer Crowd funding went live were nowhere to be found.. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate everyone that did fund the summer packages, just not those that bitches and moaned to only disappear!
    I wonder if they even know the summer deal happened.  Did Intrepid mention it on the kick starter page, or was the summer campaign just sort of thrown together quick?
  • Options
    Warkov said:
    I wonder if they even know the summer deal happened.  Did Intrepid mention it on the kick starter page, or was the summer campaign just sort of thrown together quick?
    The marketing side of the summer campaign was subpar to say the least, but if the vocal minority had any involvement in the community ie: Discord or these glorious forums they would have been aware of its existence.
  • Options
    I think Steven mentioned it somewhere that after the summer backing end, they will have a new store with physical merchandise. I think he also mentioned something about selling limited exclusive skins down the road. They would be able to make a lot of money if they do that heck majority of starcitizen's money was made off ships sales lol. 
  • Options
    Whocando said:
    In reference to the specific vocal minority who made demands/held ransom potential funding but only if pay pal was used.
    Which then was somewhere quoted as being a 70% potential market of crowd funders in contrast to the Original kickstarter backers, of which some of whom like myself were concerned with the method of extended funding at not necessarily the premise.
    The actual quote stated that 70% of the market lives in countries that are not as credit card friendly as the US.
    It didn't state that 70% of the market would use Paypal.
    Nor did it state that 70% of the market would participate in the Summer campaign.
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind it being extended, would allow me to save up more funds. Either way things will work out fine.
  • Options
    Well i don't expect Intrepid to boast about the Summer campaign results. Seems obvious they over extended based on their own % hype analysis.

Concerning the actions and outcomes of the store is a different matter entirely.
    I have my personal opinions on the store on hope that Ashes doesn't degenerate into a fashion wars cosmetic game with a subscription identity crisis.

Because the thought of paying a subscription for game siphoning resources to fill skins and cosmetics that are not accessible through in game play frightens me.

Whether the summer campaign extends or not doesn't bother me, i just don't see the harm in doing so considering the current results.

• Options
    Dygz said:
    The objective was to give people who wanted to pay by some other method than credit/debit cards to have a chance to participate.

People participated.
    I wholeheartedly support this post 100%.
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Dygz said:

People participated.
    I support it 70%
  • Options
    Whocando said:
    Kratz said:
    Dygz said:

People participated.
    I support it 70%
    I just think that if Intrepid could do it all again differently, they would. In the meantime, this is the way it has been dealt with and as far as I'm concerned, everyone has had the opportunity to capitalise on the pledges. For those who played the game, moving the goal posts is never a good idea. Just my 2 cents. :) 
  • Options
    Kratz said:
    Whocando said:
    Kratz said:
    Dygz said:

People participated.
    I support it 70%
    I just think that if Intrepid could do it all again differently, they would. In the meantime, this is the way it has been dealt with and as far as I'm concerned, everyone has had the opportunity to capitalise on the pledges. For those who played the game, moving the goal posts is never a good idea. Just my 2 cents. :) 
    I agree 100%
  • Options
    Something i'm not quite understanding, On the summer crowdfunding it still says you can get kickstarter exclusive items, which again if you're supporting you're not supporting for exclusive items, but the fact that they ask for more money for the summer backer things, yet are offering all of it for summer crowdfunding people, doesn't make much sense. I bought in as braver of worlds (500) and they asked for 400 ish for all inclusive, so i'm at 900 and won't be getting the leader of men package rewards, where if i knew how they would go about it i'd dump an extra 100 to get the leader rewards. Doesn't make much sense.

Thoughts?