Carebear in a Harsh World

13»

Comments

• There are allot of games out there with full open world pvp. They are ALL failing
  • ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Kadin said:
    There are allot of games out there with full open world pvp. They are ALL failing
    Troll....I'll bite.

...which ones are failing? and more importantly, does the failure have anything to do with the pvp? I'm pretty we have also seen a bunch of pve mmos fail as well.

If anything, the fact there isn't a strong pvp MMO means there is room for someone to make a one.
  • Kadin said:
    There are allot of games out there with full open world pvp. They are ALL failing
    When the carebears come to the game. Show me at least one game with full open world pvp that failed.

edited August 2017
    OP idea is the worst thing ever,  until those items will have a cooldown of 5-10 years of irl time.
    And again ashes of creation is a pve mmorpg with dome pvp elements. We need 2 separate servers for the carebears and PvP players.
  • Ask and you shall receive. Here is just one example of your vaunted full pvp going from hype to shit in under 6 months. Albion online is your next one.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/440900/Conan_Exiles/
  • Start with Archage i think they are down what 6 servers this month ?
    take a look at mmorpg.com for more. basically pvp has no staying power. While the least popular games on the net are full pvp games i think  mix doesnt hurt but inorder to make that work you have to protect your community from pvp idiots ( yea there are a bunch of them out there)

• So what you get from a pvp game. Hacks, Exploits, macros etc

The bright side is those idiots will pay what ever is necessary to win for the maybe 6 months they play at all.
  • Eleanc said:
    When the carebears come to the game. Show me at least one game with full open world pvp that failed.

I guess it comes down to your definition of full open world pvp as i don't think many games actually fall under that title. Darkfall failed, it had nothing to do with the fact it was a full open world pvp game but it did fail. I wouldn't call archeage full open world but pvp was a part of the game and it seems to be dying atm for several reasons(though i don't consider pvp is one of them).

That said, i want to reiterate that i don't think these games failed because they had pvp, hell pvp is all darkfall had going for it. The fact that we don't have a popular pvp MMO means there is room for a game to take that slot. 
  • i am not anti pvp i just dont like how the pvp community f-s up a good game by trying to force others into that play style. Both can exist as long as there are harsh penaltys for forcing your game style on another player. On the same note i think pvp should always have its own advancement track so they can level the pvper way. It also @$$hole filter for the rest of us. Because like it or not most the jerks in any game are pvpers.
    edited August 2017
    Kadin said:
    i am not anti pvp i just dont like how the pvp community f-s up a good game by trying to force others into that play style. Both can exist as long as there are harsh penaltys for forcing your game style on another player. On the same note i think pvp should always have its own advancement track so they can level the pvper way. It also @$$hole filter for the rest of us. Because like it or not most the jerks in any game are pvpers.
    That last statement is a bunch of bull. There are plenty of assholes on the pve side of things too.

While i think we are on the same page that there needs to be compromise to appease both play styles i disagree with your statements. First, this is a pvp game in addition to being a pve. When you play this game you are subscribing to that. A playstyle isn't being forced on you. Getting mad about being pvped in this game is like getting mad you died to a mob in darksouls. Also, pvpers aren't entitled to get stuff through pvp because another game did it that way.

This is ashes of creation, not wow. You will always be vulnerable to pvp and to get gear you will most likely have to pve. That is game you are subscribing to and the devs have every right to make the game this way. 
  • Well I see where you're coming from and understand your plight, that could undermine the whole system however if they had such a potion. I'd say, play with someone alternatively hire some goons to protect you if people are all on top of you. You won't really risk being camped with the flagging system either. You might be surprised how much you like the pvp and danger aspect tbh.
    edited August 2017
    Ask and you shall receive. Here is just one example of your vaunted full pvp going from hype to shit in under 6 months. Albion online is your next one.
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/440900/Conan_Exiles/
    "Some prealfa survival game has died"
    The full pvp is killing mmorpg , hide in the safe zone!
    " Some  utlra grindy game for tablets has died"
    The full loot pvp just killed another game ! OH NO

And holy c**p , why people make such a drama from the open pvp. It is hilarious . It is just a game after all, lol.
    Stories like, the gankers killed me when I was  %growing flowers/alt tabbed to watch educational film/feeding the crocodile/on the way to carelatot/peacefully fishing%  and than I quiet the game. Very tragic stories , as I understand. Very tragic. oh lol . People just dont  have enough skill to deal with open world pvp, and instead of becoming more advanced in the game , they write a flaming message on the forum .  If you  avoid fighting it means that you are a scrub, deal with it and improve yourself. Otherwise why would you want a system that protects you from other players.
  • Eleanc said:
    Kadin said:

If there are so many "full open world pvp" games that are doing well out there @Eleanc, then why aren't you playing those games instead of insisting that Ashes be something that violates the design pillars set by Intrepid studios?

You have stated your point of view so many times using such emotive and negative language it seems like you are only here to troll this community.
  • I wouldn't point to pvp as the cause of archage's demise.  That was a pretty clear case of corporate greed,I thought. 
    edited August 2017
    Wraeven kinda.. greed was a big problem but they took advantage the pvpers to make it work. Most companies are greedy AA just manage to exploit the only group willing to pay that much.

edit: i think its important to add here the f2p was also a huge factor in AA's cost. Alt armies defiantly inflated the economy to the point the swipers couldn't even keep up.
  • pvp balance is another problem with all games. players and mobs have different health defense other things. its hard to design skills that work for both with out nerfing one or the other interesting idea would be pvp and pve damage / defense ratting for gear and abilities. Usually pvp balance screws a game to the point its no long fun to play kinda hoping that doesn't happen.
    edited August 2017
    lexmax said:
    Eleanc said:
    Kadin said:

If there are so many "full open world pvp" games that are doing well out there @Eleanc, then why aren't you playing those games instead of insisting that Ashes be something that violates the design pillars set by Intrepid studios?

You have stated your point of view so many times using such emotive and negative language it seems like you are only here to troll this community.
    Check under your bed ,there are trolls , they everywhere actually . Your life has trolled when you b...
     The lulz stop here. Some of those games , are too old or were ruined by the carbears like UO. Other games has died because they didnt have anything good beside the open world pvp. BDO has changed from being a PvP game to PvE because carebears were crying that they being killed. Tera online died because it could not afford you enough good content ,and I dont like korean design as well.

All the idea of feeling the dangerous world atmosphere is dead. Nothing to worry about , no one will attack you until you click a button. Great adventure , very interesting and challenging. If there was and AI for such role I wouldnt really care about the open world pvp.

And btw I dont see the difference between death from a strong mob in MMORPG and death from a player. I want to play in dangerous fantasy world , not a game for small child's like penguin club.
  • And they have stated multiple times that is what they are working very hard on to avoid. Thus no separate pvp vs pve gear. All stats are relevant to both. No trying to balance 1v1, but instead looking at combos that break group play. Acknowledgement that it is an ever evolving process that has to be monitored continuously. We will get the game next year for alpha, and huge amounts of tweaking will go on. Just because one ability is an absolute train wreck when flavored with a subclass doesn't mean it won't be changed before release.
    edited August 2017
    Again i think as long as the deterrent is "enough" to make random ganking extinct pvp is not a bad thing. people are going to argue fight etc that's ok its all part of any game. its when someone just out on a killing streak, all they really manage to do is drive the core player base away and that  is when you have a problem.

Now then good application would be some way to set gold famer accounts to no-karma kill. Now your pvpers can go gank under geared non-pvpers (aka newbs) like they love to do help the game and still get to kill someone. Maybe they can even learn Chinese swear words in the process!

From what i have seen most pvpers ( most) dont really want a challange they want a victory will do what is nessary ( hacks, exploits, ganking newbs , or in AA paying out the ass ) to get it.
  • Eleanc said:
    lexmax said:
    Eleanc said:
    Kadin said:

All the idea of feeling the dangerous world atmosphere is dead. 
    If you are such a good PvPer, why would you feel the world is dangerous? Don't worry @Eleanc, there are flagging rules to discourage people from PK murdering carebears like yourself ;)
  • If by gold farmer accounts you mean bots, there will be ways of reporting them in game. If the number of times this has been expressed in livestreams about how anti-bot/gold seller they are is any indication it will be a quick and robust response. Used to be that only those with high end pc's could FRAPS or video capture while playing, now almost everyone has the capability, making verified action reporting much easier.
    edited August 2017
    ugh we going to sidetrack a bit now..

But if chang-bot5 is out cutting wood and gets banned all that wood he had from that node goes with him. So i think a better solution is to set every account on his IP his to no-karma kill and let the pvpers make some gold off him, once he figures out hes no-karma kill hes probably going to quit anyway . This flag should also make city guards ignore him being ganked in the middle of town. So chang-merchant-bot4 flags at the same time losing all his items as well.
    edited August 2017
    Kadin said:
    ugh we going to sidetrack a bit now..

But if chang-bot5 is out cutting wood and gets banned all that wood he had from that node goes with him. So i think a better solution is to set every account on his IP his to no-karma kill and let the pvpers make some gold off him, once he figures out hes no-karma kill hes probably going to quit anyway . This flag should also make city guards ignore him being ganked in the middle of town. So chang-merchant-bot4 flags at the same time losing all his items as well.

That would be a singular targeting mechanic that creates more drama than warranted. The IS team has stated anti-botting measures will be in very full effect for AoC.
  • i was just trying to give the pvpers what they are after

ungeared non-pvpers to gank.
  • Umm...some things wrong with that assumption. His resources are easily replaceable in the overall economy. Pvping doesn't give gold, not even confirmed for bounty hunting as of yet because of possible exploits. It will be up to an in-game GM to determine if he is a bot, or they may automate the process through Panopticon. Gold sellers tend to hate sub games that actively hunt them, because they need to drop 15 dollars for every account, so the more of their accounts you find and shut down, they then migrate to easier, more profitable games. In a game that is being designed from day one to combat gold selling, that tracks your every single move as part of the node system reporting, should not be an issue.
  • In a game that is being designed from day one to combat gold selling, that tracks your every single move as part of the node system reporting, should not be an issue.
    This is one of the things I admire the most about Ashes. Intrepid is the first studio I've witnessed putting in anti-botting and other security measures at the start, rather than trying to retrofit the technology in response to some crisis.
  • lexmax said:
    In a game that is being designed from day one to combat gold selling, that tracks your every single move as part of the node system reporting, should not be an issue.
    This is one of the things I admire the most about Ashes. Intrepid is the first studio I've witnessed putting in anti-botting and other security measures at the start, rather than trying to retrofit the technology in response to some crisis.

There are many things to admire about Ashes.  Just a few things:

1. Steven's devotion and the Intrepid studio's sticking by their concepts that most of us came here for.  
    2. Their openness and sharing with the gaming community.
    3. Their willingness to listen to our ideas and not give up their's when a select few  demand, threaten or toss  insults at others.
    4.  Mostly Ashes has brought together a great community of people.

They aren't Gods but they sure are trying to a produce a great game for all of us!

I'm sure most people can add more to this short list.