Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Castles vs. Metropolis

If a castle and a Metropolis are located in each other's zone of influence who gets to tax who? Does the guild owned castle get to tax the entire Metropolis? Or is it the other way around? Who's power and influnece takes priority? I would love to hear what ya'll think!

Comments

• Options
    There are 3 castles from what has been stated. They are monthly pvp goals and will control specific nodes around them. Those nodes may be developed, but most likely will be razed on a regular basis, since as a precursor to attack they would need to be dealt with. A metropolis is a major undertaking that will require active input and care from around 10 percent of the servers population if the 10k cap is adhered to. The odds of one developing within a castle nodes zoi would be rare if not impossible, but guess we will find out in testing.
  • Options
    3 castles? We're down from 5?
  • Options
    Metropolis are 5, Castles are 3.
    SageVonAwesome said:
    3 castles? We're down from 5?

• Options
    I know its very unlikely to happen, but I have nothing better to do and I know the community likes theroycrafting and speculating... So say that a particularly big guild decides they want to control more than just a castle so they begin developing the node next to it and, for the sake of discussion, they are eventually able to get it to the metropolis stage. Obviously the type of government will be dependant on the type of node, but I am just curious as to how the influence of the castle vs the influence of the metropolis will play out. If the Metropolis is owned by the guild its not too much of an issue because they will run it how they want anyway, but say they had built an economic node and the influx of new players causes some one else to be voted the ruler of the node. Does the guild's castle have dominace or does the ruler of the metropolis?
  • Options
    Since nodes are set as to type and do not change I don't see this being an issue. If they have designed the map correctly, the nodes that fall under the castles ZOI will be balanced to stop such an eventuality. From what little they have stated so far, the defenses of the castle are built up by working on those linked nodes over the course of the month between sieges. The attackers most likely will have to delevel/destroy those nodes as part of the process of taking the castle from the controlling guild. The timeline given for a node to reach metropolis stage was something around 1.5 to 2 years. Also, nodes have certain resources appear and disappear over time, so it is very possible that the wonderful spot you have found that is just perfect with that Osmium mine, in 6 months is a ghost town because the mine is tapped and people have moved on to greener pastures. Without more info, like you said, it is all just theory till we get to play with the tools they give us.
  • Options
    1.5 to 2 years? I remember them saying many weeks :neutral:
  • Options
    Here are a whole slew of Steven quotes that should make everything clearer. I couldn't find the node timeline one. Will keep an ear/eye out for what I saw about estimates on how long it would take a node to level all the way to 6.

• Options
    They've only issued rough estimates for the development timeline so far, with the estimate for Metropolis just being "many weeks" like Zastro said. I'm guessing because it's one of the aspects they're still tweaking/balancing for best results.
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    It is 5 metros and 5 castles, with each castle having 3 military nodes that cant go past tier 4 connected to it.
  • Options
    Pelum said:
    It is 5 metros and 5 castles, with each castle having 3 military nodes that cant go past tier 4 connected to it.
    Rip my idea then :(
  • Options
    It seems to me that Castle+ 3 military nodes= the way to keep a Mongol Horde dynamic from developing in Veras Anarchic military population. These castles and the weekly cycle will occupy the hardcore pvp guilds and players long enough to allow the rest of us to develop, ally and prepare before the barbarians are at the gates!
  • Options
    I'm curious, since housing is limited (ie. one can't have freehold in 2 places), why would guild people put freehold in castle node (that only goes to level 4) and limit their benefits, instead of just placing their freeholds in a node that can go to level 6.

So basically the best is to own a castle, develop it ofc, but have your housing in some level 6 node.

a) will guild members get an extra parcel to put in castle affiliated node?

or

b) will castle affiliated node have some other special benefits so placing housing there makes some sense?

• Options
    Gothix said:
    I'm curious, since housing is limited (ie. one can't have freehold in 2 places), why would guild people put freehold in castle node (that only goes to level 4) and limit their benefits, instead of just placing their freeholds in a node that can go to level 6.

So basically the best is to own a castle, develop it ofc, but have your housing in some level 6 node.

a) will guild members get an extra parcel to put in castle affiliated node?

or

b) will castle affiliated node have some other special benefits so placing housing there makes some sense?

To me, castles are kind of like the end game of the node/siege system. Basically, having a castle puts a huge giant target on your back for other PvP guilds. If you are going to have and keep one then you - as a large group of players - need to devote your play time to that goal, and you need to be more devoted to keeping your castle than other guilds or alliances are to taking it.

Even "if" there was an opportunity to have land outside of the castles influence, you wouldn't want to do so as you would want to focus first and foremost on the castles defense, and that means leveling up the nodes around the castle. This also means foregoing any chance at being a citizen of a science, religious or economic node while you are a member of the guild or alliance that has a castle - at least one your main.

Those players that are not up for this type of gameplay are likely to not have access to a castle.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    @Noaani

Remember though, you can have 3 types of housing, and place them in different nodes.

So for an example: freehold in scientific metropolis (lvl 6), in city building in religious metropolis (lvl 6), and instanced apartment in economic metropolis (lvl6). So you can be a citizens of multiple nodes, in addition to being affiliated with a castle.

My question is, why would one take one of housing types out of lvl 6 metropoils (i'm talking min maxing here in case you have housing in 3 metropolises already), and put it in castle node instead (that only goes to lvl 4).

Will it be only for the reason that you "have to" if you want to level up the castle, or will there be some other special benefits to having housing in lvl 4 castle node, that would counter benefits from you just keeping all your housing in (lvl 6) metropoleses.

Again, I am talking min max here, I know metropolises will be very hard to level up, specially 3 of them.
  • Options
    Gothix  Keeping each of the 3 castle related nodes @ 4 imparts max bonuses to the castle. Keeping the castle is the impetus to have all 3 actively occupied. 1X a month that village is up to for siege after the 3 week town siege cycle the castle can be attacked, 3 lev 4 = max defense, 3 razed nodes= easy takeover.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Gothix said:
    @Noaani

Remember though, you can have 3 types of housing, and place them in different nodes.

So for an example: freehold in scientific metropolis (lvl 6), in city building in religious metropolis (lvl 6), and instanced apartment in economic metropolis (lvl6). So you can be a citizens of multiple nodes, in addition to being affiliated with a castle.

My question is, why would one take one of housing types out of lvl 6 metropoils (i'm talking min maxing here in case you have housing in 3 metropolises already), and put it in castle node instead (that only goes to lvl 4).

Will it be only for the reason that you "have to" if you want to level up the castle, or will there be some other special benefits to having housing in lvl 4 castle node, that would counter benefits from you just keeping all your housing in (lvl 6) metropoleses.

Again, I am talking min max here, I know metropolises will be very hard to level up, specially 3 of them.
    I just did a little digging, (23:00) and it seems that citizenship of a castle and citizenship of a node are independent of each other - so you seemingly can indeed have both. How that effects property is up for question - as they specifically said that the nodes around a castle don't act like normal nodes.

They have also said here that players can only have property in one node - though they can have three different properties in the one node. How that interplays with castles and castle nodes is up for question - is it three properties total to spread around if you also have a castle citizenship, is it three properties per "citizenship" (node and castle), or do castle nodes not even have property for players... we don't know and all three are perfectly possible - I guess.

I also didn't realize that castles were specifically only for guilds - though I made the assumption that it would end up being that way.

If you are a member of a guild with a castle, you can expect a siege almost every weekend, and preparing for them is likely to take up most of your week.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Yeah those are some questions I'm curious to see answer for.

Specially if you can be citizen of both normal node and castle node, how does that limit where you can put your property down. Or do you get an extra property for castle node, when your guild obtains the castle (which is also possible).

Btw. I would love a siege each weekend, but IS said there will be a long CD on sieges. I'm not sure if they mean only normal node sieges, or that affects castle sieges as well.
  • Options
    Castle siege cooldowns and the node system are separate. Castles will be contested monthly. Weekly events on each of the 3 military nodes, leading to the final castle proper siege. Node siege cooldowns were given as based on node level.

• Options
    Ah cool. So now only to find out can we split our property between normal node and castle node, or can we even build any housing in castle node. Or perhaps get extra property for that node.
  • Options
    Btw. I lol-ed at your post only to ruin your 666 lols.  :p

It was in fact a good answer.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Gothix said:
    Ah cool. So now only to find out can we split our property between normal node and castle node, or can we even build any housing in castle node. Or perhaps get extra property for that node.
    Do castles and/or the nodes attached to them have room for player housing, if so does this mean players that are citizens of castles are able to have houses in more than one node, and if so how many houses can they have total?

Seems like a good question for the next Q&A, as we don't, as far as I can see, have anything close to an answer to that.
  • Options
    From the 28 July 2017 livestream:
    Question: Jeff made a reference to guild housing in the DJ Tech live QA does this refer to the existing types of guild structures such as guild halls fortresses and castles or does this refer to guild owned player housing?

Answer: The former not the letter yeah sometimes I get a little bit sloppy with my language but yeah when I when I say guild housing I'm generally referring to guild halls so yeah right okay sorry for any confusion
    https://youtu.be/rx6xdibiRIk?t=1088
  • Options
    I'm not sure what that is in reference to.

They are talking about guild structures, we are talking about player structures.
  • Options
    From what I understand the idea is that you can have up to 3 different housing options in the city style nodes and a guild hall can be built there as well with the mayor's permission. However unless they, in the idea of castles, have a form of instanced housing there may not be the option of owning property, within the AoI of a castle, as one would in a city nodes AoI.
  • Options
    Castles probably won't have housing. They are meant to be static pvp objects that have the possibility to change hands monthly. Imagine the screams when people lose access to their apartments.
  • Options
    I agree that there will probably not be housing within them. However the idea of fighting over the housing option for guild members could add another great function to the castles that would make them even more desirable to siege and defend.
  • Options
    Castles probably won't have housing. They are meant to be static pvp objects that have the possibility to change hands monthly. Imagine the screams when people lose access to their apartments.
    That is kind of the point of all housing though.

I can't find the link right now, but the devs have specifically said they expect player housing to fluctuate - and I can see it happening both due to nodes changing hands and from resources running out so people opt to move to be closer.
  • Options
    Noaani said:

They are talking about guild structures, we are talking about player structures.

• Options
    lexmax said:
    Noaani said:

You'll note that in the answer he says he was referring to the former, not the latter.

Guild halls, fortresses and castles is the former, guild owned player housing is the latter. So, when he said he was referring to the former and not the latter, he means he was referring to guild halls, fortresses and castles, and was not referring to guild owned player housing (which, to my knowledge, guild owned player housing isn't even a "thing" in AoC).

So again, I'm not sure what this is in reference to.
  • Options
    Noaani said:
    lexmax said:
    Noaani said:

You'll note that in the answer he says he was referring to the former, not the latter.

Guild halls, fortresses and castles is the former, guild owned player housing is the latter. So, when he said he was referring to the former and not the latter, he means he was referring to guild halls, fortresses and castles, and was not referring to guild owned player housing (which, to my knowledge, guild owned player housing isn't even a "thing" in AoC).

So again, I'm not sure what this is in reference to.
    Yes, I was the one who actually asked that question. If you read up the thread I'm sure you will get the context of my response :)
This discussion has been closed.