Greetings, glorious adventurers! If you're joining in our Alpha One spot testing, please follow the steps here to see all the latest test info on our forums and Discord!
Options

Why Should Intrepid Rethink Their Choice Regarding Dragons

Rejoice fellow gamers, Dragons exist in AoC, except they don't! 
So, sometime in early January Steven confirmed that there will be dragons in AoC; however, they will be extremely rare. So rare that only a tiny fraction of the total population will ever get to soar the skies using dragons. 

I personally respect this decision. Limiting Flight mechanics can be a good thing depending on what the developer is aiming to achieve.I see how passionate Steven is towards crafting an experience around the community rather than the game, and Flying all the majority of the time could lessen the time players spend interacting with each other, which might be a big no no for Steven. Flight can also remove the small finer things that make a journey memorable. The thrill you get when you aggro a mini boss trying to run back and turn over a quest, or discovering a new area and your first impressions being jaw dropping rather than "Oh! look, a new area, yay!". Still, i am here to argue why flight should be a more common thing than it already is. It is extremely rare, so less rare doesn't mean everyone should've them. 

- The first thing to consider when making Flight a more common thing is how it impacts gameplay. More precisely, will Flight improve the experience or worsen it. In my opinion, Flight will definitely enhance the combat of the game. I mean, adding the possibility to take off at any moment during a fight adds a new dimension to the combat. Likewise, it can make sieges more strategic. For example, A siege can have an aerial and ground raids that are both working together to bring that node down. Similarly, a guild could end up winning a GvG battle by letting half of their raid(s) wait in the skies, luring the enemy with a false sense of security and then dropping down to cleanse them. The applications of how Flight can improve the combat is limitless if you ask me. 

- The second argument is revenue, especially revenue generated from cosmetics. Lots of games in the market make insane amount of money only from selling cosmetics. League of Legends is a prime example. Their entire business runs on cosmetics. Moreover, we all know AoC is going to be a non pay to win game, which means the majority of AoC revenue is going to be generated from selling convenience cash shop items and cosmetics, so why not increase the cosmetic potential of AoC by adding Dragons. The number of eye catching skins that will have the community saying "Shut up and take my money" are limitless. We're all suckers for dragons, and i am sure people will buy skins for them. To not have dragons be a more common thing would be a wasted potential if you ask me. Note that i said "Be a more common thing". Not necessarily a super accessible thing, just more common than the way it is currently. Less rare such that any daily HC players could eventually obtain Dragons.  

I can really go on forever, but the point is that Flight should be a more accessible mechanic. Not extremely easy to access. I am not advocating for a level 10 Dragon mount. Instead, make Flight accessible in the later stages of the game. Just don't make them so rare that only a handful of players will ever get to soar the skies.

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    ArchivedUserArchivedUser Guest
    edited August 2017
    Karthos said:
    Couldn't you have written a reason as to why you disagree rather than just saying no. Your choice, but i am aiming to start a conversation that could've some sort of impact before things are finalized. 
  • Options
    SethGure said:
    Rejoice fellow gamers, Dragons exist in AoC, except that they don't! 
    So, sometime in early January Steven confirmed that there will be dragons in AoC; however, they will be extremely rare. So rare that only a tiny fraction of the total population will ever get to soar the skies using dragons. 

I personally respect this decision. Limiting Flight mechanics can be a good thing depending on what the developer is aiming to achieve.I see how passionate Steven is towards crafting an experience around the community rather than the game, and Flying all the god damn time could lessen the interaction among players, which is a big no no for Steven. Flight can also remove the small finer things that make a journey memorable. The thrill you get when you aggro a mini boss trying to run back and turn over a quest, or discovering a new area and your first impressions being jaw dropping rather than "Oh! look, a new area, yay!". Still, i am here to argue why flight should be a more common thing. 

- The first thing to consider when making Flight a more common thing is how it impacts gameplay. More precisely, will Flight improve the experience or worsen it. In my opinion, Flight will definitely enhance the combat of the game. I mean, adding the possibility to take off at any moment during a fight adds a new dimension to the game. Likewise, it can intensify sieges. For example, A siege can have an aerial and ground raids that are both working together to bring that node down. Similarly, a guild could end up winning a GvG battle by letting half of their raid(s) wait in the skies, luring the enemy with a false sense of security and then dropping down to cleanse them. The applications of how Flight can improve the combat is limitless if you ask me. 

- The second argument is money. Lots of games in the market make insane amount of money only from selling cosmetics. League of Legends is a prime example. Their entire business runs on cosmetics. Moreover, we all know AoC is going to be a non pay to win game, which means Intrepid will be able to make revenue from only subscriptions and cosmetics. (PS: Merchandise is another factor.) So, why not increase the cosmetic potential of AoC by adding Dragons. The number of eye catching skins that will have the community saying "Shut up and take my money" are limitless. I am a sucker for dragons. You're a sucker for Dragons. Everyone is a sucker for Dragons. To not have dragons be a more common thing would be a wasted potential if you ask me. Note that i said "Be a more common thing". Not necessary super accessible, just a more common thing such that any daily players could eventually obtain Dragons.  

I can really go on forever, but the point is that Flight should be a more accessible mechanic. Not extremely easy to access. I am not advocating for a level 1 Dragon mount. Instead, make Flight accessible in the later stages of the game. Just don't make them so rare that only a handful of players will ever get to soar the skies.
    Don't forget that dragon eggs may drop from world bosses! so that will give more people a chance to acquire dragons :)

• Options
    SethGure said:
    Rejoice fellow gamers, Dragons exist in AoC, except that they don't! 

I personally respect this decision. Limiting Flight mechanics can be a good thing depending on what the developer is aiming to achieve.I see how passionate Steven is towards crafting an experience around the community rather than the game, and Flying all the god damn time could lessen the interaction among players, which is a big no no for Steven. Flight can also remove the small finer things that make a journey memorable. The thrill you get when you aggro a mini boss trying to run back and turn over a quest, or discovering a new area and your first impressions being jaw dropping rather than "Oh! look, a new area, yay!". Still, i am here to argue why flight should be a more common thing. 

- The first thing to consider when making Flight a common thing is how it impacts gameplay. More precisely, will Flight improve the experience or worsen it. In my opinion, Flight will definitely enhance the combat of the game. I mean, adding the possibility to take off at any moment during a fight adds a new dimension to the game. Likewise, it can intensify sieges. For example, A siege can have an aerial and ground raids that are both working together to bring that node down. Similarly, a guild could end up winning a GvG battle by letting half of their raid(s) wait in the skies, luring the enemy with a false sense of security and then dropping down to cleanse them. The applications of how Flight can improve the combat is limitless if you ask me. 

- The second argument is money. Lots games in the market make insane amount of money only from selling cosmetics. League of Legends is a prime example. Their entire business runs on cosmetics. Moreover, we all know AoC is going to be a non pay to win game, which means Intrepid will be able to make revenue from only subscriptions and cosmetics. (PS: Merchandise is another factor.) So, why not increase the cosmetic potential of AoC by adding Dragons. The number of eye catching skins that will have the community saying "Shut up and take my money" are limitless. I am a sucker for dragons. You're a sucker for Dragons. Everyone is a sucker for Dragons. To not have dragons be a more common thing would be a wasted potential if you ask me. Note i said "Be a more common thing". Not necessary super accessible, just a more common thing such that any daily players could eventually obtain it.  

I can really go on forever, but the point is that Flight should be a more accessible mechanic. Not extremely easy to access. I am not advocating for a level 1 Dragon mount. Instead, make Flight accessible in the later stages of the game. Just don't make them so rare that only a handful of players will ever get to soar the skies.
    One or more large groups of geared attackers being able to easily fly from caravan to caravan would seriously undermine the planned trade network. 

• Options
    Oh hell no!

• Options
    @Shunex Thanks for sharing that by the way. I was really looking for it, and couldn't find it anywhere!
    Well, i am sure such a drop will be extremely rare and given that Steven used "An" rather than "Eggs" i would assume it is just a single egg per epic boss. So, even if every epic boss has a guaranteed chance to drop one egg, it would still be hard to obtain one because there will be another 100 to 500 (maybe more) people trying to get the same thing. It  also does say they're timed. So, I will have to be very lucky to obtain something that will not last me until i get lucky again, which doesn't really make Flight anymore accessible if you ask me.  
  • Options
    Image result for say no to dragons meme
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    lexmax said:
    One or more large groups of geared attackers being able to easily fly from caravan to caravan would seriously undermine the planned trade network. 

That is a good point i haven't considered. Although the time problem in the qoute still applies. Distances being traveled will still be huge requiring some time to cut. You also have to consider access to information. As is said in the picture, route of a caravan will be a closely guarded secret. 
    Also, segmenting caravans by several minutes seems to be a solution being offered. Meaning, several minutes are all that is required to stop zerging according to whoever wrote that. It is already hard to zerg a caravan now with Flight decided as a rare thing, but even if it's a common thing, people will still take time to cut the immense distances. I am assuming that Ashes will have a large world. After all, there will be multiple castles with nodes linked. that must require a huge space.
  • Options
    Which is exactly why no flight/fast travel/teleportation to group is being organized. One of the ways to stop zerg balls is to limit travel to ground mounts and random respawn points in a node. When you see a freakin dragon in Ashes you will have the same reaction as every peon in GOT. "OMFG....did you just see that? There was a dragon that just flew by."
    Same thing with dungeon/content fatigue. You may hear about this really cool water temple 8 nodes away through enemy controlled territory. Part of the adventure is going to form your group, and then make your way to content. No more of this "Let's do XYZ dungeon. Hey rogue, you go run over to the summoning stone while I go afk smoke and update my Facebook." Part of the whole dungeon crawl may involve actual crawling now.
  • Options
    Which is exactly why no flight/fast travel/teleportation to group is being organized. One of the ways to stop zerg balls is to limit travel to ground mounts and random respawn points in a node. When you see a freakin dragon in Ashes you will have the same reaction as every peon in GOT. "OMFG....did you just see that? There was a dragon that just flew by."
    Same thing with dungeon/content fatigue. You may hear about this really cool water temple 8 nodes away through enemy controlled territory. Part of the adventure is going to form your group, and then make your way to content. No more of this "Let's do XYZ dungeon. Hey rogue, you go run over to the summoning stone while I go afk smoke and update my Facebook." Part of the whole dungeon crawl may involve actual crawling now.
    ^This

• Options
    As you put into your first argument, how does it affect game play, people already covered quite a few points how the game is built to have no group ability to fly. It undermines to many other aspects.
    You could argue whether that is good or not, but I don't think they will change the game to such a degree.

I want to highlight that we are talking about a subscription game tho. Going in with the attitude "cosmetics will make the most revenue" won't be good for us. It should be an additional thing not the lions share.
    Starting your game on the idea "we have to put out the most awesome things through our shop to keep us afloat" will never be healthy for a game itself.

I dearly hope that this truly is a passion project and not just masked as one.
  • Options
    Definitely remember the livestream where Steven stated that there would be nothing exclusive to the cosmetic shop that couldn't be earned in game in a similar fashion. Maybe you can only get that dress in pink in the shop, but there will be versions of blue, red, and yellow able to be earned through play. Or "With the release of our new jungle nodes we offer a new magenta tiger skin for purchase in the shop." and as you play through the node you will be able to get the white tiger, or the rainbow one. Not just mounts of course, there will be pets and so on. Not battlepets like WOW, where you could buy the best ones on the shop, adding a p2win element.

A moderately successful sub game in its first year could do 100,000 sustained subs easily. It may spike higher, but if the vision laid out so far is realized, totally doable. I am not counting the 4-5000 lifetime subs that have already contributed revenue. That is 1.5 mill in revenue monthly. Even as a passion project with a small base, he is looking at ROI in under two years, assuming 30 million beyond KS funds spent during development. We will see fairly quickly after live launch whether it is a cash grab, though why you would screw yourself like that with something that has so much more potential beyond a couple years would be idiotic at best.
  • Options

NUFF SAID...

this guy thinks flying mounts should be available for everyone... just a ton of wrgrggiggrk hrrr ramble ramble ramble~
  • Options
    Nooooo! I'm personally disappointed to hear you can fly at all in the game! Booooooo! Seeing this come to fruition in WoW and other MMOs I can safely say this ruuuiiiinsss the sense of community and adventure that comes with an MMO, don't do it!!!
  • Options
    I would never want flying in the game, but if you want to put it in, make it exceptionally rare. Like  the old Legendary Anh'Qiraj mount.

One of of the primary reasons is world size. I have high hopes, that with the nodes and stuff. The world in Ashes is going to be big, possibly even layered. I'm going to use WoW as an example yet again. I used to be Horde. Levelling my character up in the Barrens. It felt huge, absolutely huge. There were certain mountain passes that took me a while to find. (Stolen silver, damn you) And later on, when I became max level. Even though I was a Mage. The Onyxia quest chain had me travel all over the world. On my 40 percent mount speed, and some flight paths. It took a long time, to go from one end of the zone, to the other. Nevermind from one end of the world to another. Now, fast forward a few years. Cataclysm gets released, and with it, the ability to fly in the old world was unlocked. The world, felt a lot smaller, suddenly. Even though they added more content (Opened up zones) The world, as a whole, felt a whole lot smaller. 

Flying combat. You touched upon this too. However, I find, that the games that allow flying, it usually adds very little to the game in terms of strategy. You can just avoid strategic chokepoints, and people will just drop down on whatever the objective is. However, strategic chokepoints. Think old school Alterac valley, fighting on the road trying to get into the Alliance base. There was not too much strategy involved, but it was fun. But the same was true for Eastern Plaguelands, the elites Tyr's hand I think it was. A lot of cool fights happened there, fights that would not happen again. The amount of times I went to Hellfire PvP zone and saw someone hoovering out of range. It didn't scream tactical. Whilst in stories, and what have you, flying mounts are amazing. As far as game mechanics go, they simply have too many downsides for me.

As far as cosmetics go, they could do that for normal mounts, or even class flavoured mounts. They can do it for all types of player housing. They could sell dyes for your own armour. There is more than enough potential for cosmetic revenue, without savagely cutting themselves in the fingers by making flying mounts a lot more common.

There is also the scientific node. One of it's main selling points and benefits is fast travel. So you don't have to hike through the forest, and potentially be attacked by goblins, orcs, bandits what have you. However, if flying is commonplace. Why would anyone go for fast travel when you can fly up, look in the proper direction, press num lock, and get something to drink? I know I wouldn't, and I want a scientific node.
  • Options

This, I forgot to add this point, and I can't believe I missed you posting it. But this is a very good point.

Imagine Lord of the Rings. Where Frodo and gang sit in Rivendell, decide to go on the quest, and just get teleported to mount doom. Or, as Gandalf suggested, they fly there. It just wouldn't be as good.
  • Options
    I love dragons.   Do I want dragons in game?  Nothing is wrong with the rare dragon but to be owned by just anyone?  No way.   Considering the whole concept of this game,  fast travel which is to be totally limited, and flying has no place.  

Think how awesome and epic it would be to follow your troops single file through a mountain forest trying not to be spotted or heard by the enemy as you head to strike their towns.   

• Options
    While my points have been already mentioned above I will add my own spin to them.

Dragons: I WANT them to be rare, I want to be astounded when I see someone riding a Dragon above me. I want the feeling of when I saw Legendaries back in WoW when I was amazed that someone had Thunderfury. 
    But most of all I want Dragons to have meaning, they give you something to work for, something to strive for and you may never get it, but they have meaning, they are special, and not everyone will get them. They are a privilege to be earned.

Flying: Someone above mentioned the Barrens and how it felt huge and took so much time to get somewhere in it. I remember loving it. The world being massive and taking time is a huge appeal as you have to learn the land and really know the world (and you start to feel connected to it) but with flying you don't have to, it's just Aright go airborn fly to X do exactly what you need and return, you lose your sense of adventure with flying.

(Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yqVD0swvWU  While funny, this doesn't seem nearly as fun as the adventure if you were playing a game)
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Ariatras said:
    s by making flying mounts a lot more common.
     if flying is commonplace. 
    Good input @Ariatras, but i still think you misread what i am advocating for. In more than one place i emphasized how i don't advocate for everyone having flying mounts. As it is currently, Flight will be an exotic thing offered to kings and queens. It is not rare, it is exceptionally rare. So rare that just a tiny fraction of the total player population will get to access them. I would assume that tiny fraction is in the hundreds or even less. 

What i am advocating for is to not have dragons i.e. Flight be something that rare. It is so rare to get a flying mount that even the most HC players may never get one. That is why i am advocating for Dragons to be less rare i.e. be more common than they already are. I think i said this in the OP. Just less rare than they

already are

Nothing is wrong with the rare dragon but to be owned by just anyone?   

Sister i didn't say that

• Options
    SethGure said:
    Ariatras said:
    Good input @Ariatras, but i still think you misread what i am advocating for. In more than one place i emphasized how i don't advocate for everyone having flying mounts. As it is currently, Flight will be an exotic thing offered to kings and queens. It is not rare, it is exceptionally rare. So rare that just a tiny fraction of the total player population will get to access them. I would assume that tiny fraction is in the hundreds or even less. 

What i am advocating for is to not have dragons i.e. Flight be something that rare. It is so rare to get a flying mount that even the most HC players may never get one. That is why i am advocating for Dragons to be less rare i.e. be more common than they already are. I think i said this in the OP. Just less rare than they

already are

Sister i didn't say that

You stated previously:  
    "To not have dragons be a more common thing would be a wasted potential if you ask me. Note i said "Be a more common thing". Not necessary super accessible, just a more common thing such that any daily players could eventually obtain it. " 

Sounds to me like your saying just anyone eventually could/should be able to own one:  
    "
    more common thing such that any daily players could eventually obtain it. " 
  • Options
    NO NO NO AND NO.
    It is fast travel , it kills the game  no one would even walk everyone would fly. It is too casual . It killed WoW , we dont need this in AoC . Only 2-4 people from all the server should have it. No more.
  • Options
    Eleanc said:
    NO NO NO AND NO.
    It is fast travel , it kills the game  no one would even walk everyone would fly. It is too casual . It killed WoW , we dont need this in AoC . Only 2-4 people from all the server should have it. No more.
    Nice we can agree on some things.   :)
  • Options
  • Options
    Remember when just saying "No" was an acceptable answer? Now everyone wants to know why and what's you're reasoning.
  • Options
    Karthos said:
    Remember when just saying "No" was an acceptable answer? Now everyone wants to know why and what's you're reasoning.
    This is why you don't allow your children to continuously ask "why?" Over and over. This is why we can't have nice things!
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    It shouldn't be common. That is the point of a player driven economy. If you want that dragon so bad, then you should have to buy it from a player in-game, or you should have to tame it.

Once you start handing these things out, they lose their flare, and it's not a good thing at all.

Nothing should be particularly easy, look at games like SWG that flopped because of trying to please players, by giving them everything, making everything way to accessible.

I'm sure a year after release, dragons won't be as rare, because people will go out of their way to get them. It's a pull back to the game, and hopefully not the only one. Give players things that aren't easy to do, and they will strive that much harder to get it.

I didn't read what you said either, but I got the jest of you wanting it to be normal to see people flying on dragons. I can assure you, it's not normal.

Edit: Just read some more of your post, and no. That's how you ruin a game.
  • Options
    SethGure said:
    Ariatras said:

already are

Sister i didn't say that

They are already very rare, as it should be, any less rare, and over time, everyone, or nearly everyone will have them, keep them rare. The rest of my post were all reasons why I think dragons should be VERY rare, and not as commonplace as you're suggesting.

As you yourself said.

"To not have dragons be a more common thing would be a wasted potential if you ask me. Note i said "Be a more common thing". Not necessary super accessible, just a more common thing such that any daily players could eventually obtain it. " 

So I do not believe I misread your meaning. I just, wholeheartedly disagree, and posted some of my thoughts as to why I disagree. As you yourself requested.
  • Options
    Having a handful of people with the ability of flight is not game breaking, and I see the purpose in it. But having it commonplace will trivialize world travel.
    I don't think I am the only person looking forward to a hard slog over mountains, through swamps, across rivers, and deserts, to get to my destination.

In the words of the master poet...
      "Lifes a journey, not a destinaaaaaation..."
  • Options
    SethGure said:
    Ariatras said:

already are

Sister i didn't say that

You stated previously:  

Sounds to me like your saying just anyone eventually could/should be able to own one:  
    "
    more common thing such that any daily players could eventually obtain it. " 

Maybe a miscommunication on my behalf. In all cases, i meant HC players will be able to obtain Dragons. The "Such that any daily players could eventually obtain it" is referring to HC players, and not casual :D
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Karthos said:
    That's because people respect you and expect that you give more than just NO!. You have absolute freedom to say whatever you like, but this is a conversation, and if your contribution is to just say no!, then you shouldn't be saying it because the conversation would not evolve :D